• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brand New Announce Fifth Album out in October

kris.

Banned
Looks like there's no need to worry about the vinyl selling out.

tenor.gif

Kawl_USC

YFW is the best brand new album and I'll stan for it till I die. Mix Tape and 70x7 are never not great to scream at the top of your lungs drunk.

Got the cd but can't do the digital download on my phone ; ;

Guess I'll listen when I get home.

hughesta

Banned
Really hope this is up for streaming tonight. Want to support the band but strapped for cash and can't buy the album at this time.

dreamfall

Alright, I bought it. I love it when artists do surprise album releases like this.

It's pretty fucking mind blowing, getting lost in it all! Enjoy it!

Seriously that download started, and I had no idea what the fuck was going on - nearly started screaming.

It's been such a tragic day, and while it's not the most important thing ever, it was super surprising.

Newman96

This album is absolutely beautiful, I'm absolutely loving it. Got absolutely everything crossed my mate comes through on ticket duty for Brixton tomorrow.

This album is absolutely beautiful, I'm absolutely loving it. Got absolutely everything crossed my mate comes through on ticket duty for Brixton tomorrow.

Do you know when the tickets are going to be available online?

EDIT: oh, the webpage says 9AM, missed it the first time. Hopefully I get two, my gf and I have been waiting for ages to see them live since they don't visit Europe that often.

Audioboxer

CONTROVERSIAL OPINION ALERT

Not overly excited on first listen. The heavy brand new vibes aren't really there, and the chilled vibes so far aren't striking me as matching up to Deja's.

Will need repeat listens. So far it feels a bit like 'Brand New' is missing as if this is another band. Then again, 8 years can do that.

Lender

Omg, I really want to listen to this, but I'm not gonna spend 25€ on shipping costs just so I can listen to it a little bit early. Will have to wait for Spotify. :(

Skatterd

Let’s all go play Nagasaki
We can all get vaporised
Hold my hand, let’s turn to ash
I’ll see you on the other side

Goddam

Really enjoyed my first listen. Out of Mana and 451 are immediate highlights for me. It doesn't top Devil & God for me (yet at least) but it's doubtful that anything ever will.

Mannn I'm stuck at work not being able to listen to this yet. Was lucky enough to pre-order the limited vinyl, but I had no clue 2 days later it would be out to listen. Can't wait till I get home.

Finally sitting down to listen to it. holy shit, this introduction

Whats the differences between the vinyl on the website and the one from preorders earlier?

tomtom94

So wait, they've released it? The website said "ships in October" so I assumed that was for everything except the CDs they've sent out.

Audioboxer

Yeah, I'm really not overly impressed. I think it's possibly what is to be expected as the band get older and there is such a big gap between the last release. A few good songs but mostly I just feel it's a bit flat or 'samey'. As if these could all be songs intermixed on various BN albums but all taken out and stuck on their own album and it's a bit... boring?

It's not even as if I don't like slow or softer songs. Apart from my youth roots in rock, metal, pop punk, punk and so on a lot of what I listen to today is post rock, instrumental and ambient. Plenty of slower tunes. Heck, Carrisas Wierd are a band I love, as well as Band of Horses. Brand New usually deliver great acoustic or minimal songs too, so, yeah.

I'll need to see if it grows on me, but for now this isn't the Brand New I wanted, I don't think. Maybe it doesn't help I've spent the last 24-48 hours spinning through the old albums.

On a completely unrelated note Google Chrome Android beta has moved the tab bar to the bottom and it's doing my head in getting used to it lol.

Finally sitting down to listen to it. holy shit, this introduction

Whats the differences between the vinyl on the website and the one from preorders earlier?

My guess is that the first one was a limited run because of color of the vinyl? I wasn't able to get one until today. Pretty sure these will be basic black.

So wait, they've released it? The website said "ships in October" so I assumed that was for everything except the CDs they've sent out.

Yup, you can buy the album right now on procrastinatemusictraitors.com
THe vinyls ship in October. Didn't say anything about the album releasing today hahaha

Audioboxer

Nothing will ever top The Archers Bows have Broken.

But I'm willing to give it a listen.

As I said above if you go into this expecting anything like older Brand New releases I think you'll end up as disappointed as I currently am. Nothing like Archers.

remz

As I said above if you go into this expecting anything like older Brand New releases I think you'll end up as disappointed as I currently am. Nothing like Archers.

Isn't that every Brand New album though? Deja has nothing like YFW (maybe no seatbelt song could make deja?) , TDG isn't anything like Deja, Daisy only has very slight similarities with the Devil and God.

Audioboxer

Isn't that every Brand New album though? Deja has nothing like YFW (maybe no seatbelt song could make deja?) , TDG isn't anything like Deja, Daisy only has very slight similarities with the Devil and God.

I think... it's got a bit of a 'classic rock' feel to it? Not that there is anything wrong with classic rock but it might be my best explanation for why it's not doing much for me. A bit of the Brand New 'roughness' and edge seems to have been polished out. Could just be explained by the band aging?

All the other albums while different still had some 'Brand New' sound to me. It's a bit faint on this release. I mean, Your Favorite Weapon might stand on its own, as it was more rough pop punk. While Deja was a huge maturity for the band, which followed through onto each release after it. Like, the band were never going to go back to straight up pop punk and some of the songs on YFW.

I don't want to say this is their "shit Weezer album" (as Weezer tend to release a shit album every now and then). It's not bad, but the overall package just doesn't stand out to me on 2 full listens. Some good songs but I just don't feel it as dethroning the prior albums. Not that it has to, but, no band is going to escape fans comparing their albums.

Just calling it as I hear it. Brand New are one of my favourite bands, and best live shows I've been at. I'm not going to pretend I love something though just because of how much I like the band. I don't do that with any band. Say Anything are another favourite band of mine, largely in part due to Is A Real Boy. Their latest albums are pretty shit though.

Whilst I'm dropping some old band names/albums I might as well state my username comes from Something Corporate xD Andrew McMahon in the Wilderness is some good shit.

My favorites:

Out of Mana: Fucking LIT HOLY MOTHER FUCKING SHIT. That gave me Daisy vibes and it this Science Fiction's show closer like You Won't Know.

In The Water: That intro is totally a reference to At the Bottom.
That fucking Daisy tape reference at the end, got goosebumps.

451: Really dope and some different sounding solos. Really cool beat, and like the bass line a lot. Mixed the heavy stuff with the mellow stuff quite well.

========
Tracks 2-4 sound like irish folklore songs. Wasnt a fan of those on the first listen. The rest of the album was great, but I wanted more stuff like Out of Mana, and In the Water,

"Let's all go play Nagasaki, we can all get vaporized. Hold my hand, let's turn to ash, I'll see you on the other side." I said GAT DAMN. Some of these lyrics are really powerful

This is a little different than I expected but still fucking amazing. One of the best new albums I have ever listened to in a damn long time. Its hard to find actual bands that consistently put out high quality music. What I was expecting was more faster paced stuff based on Mene, Sealed to Me and IAAN. Most of these tracks sound more like the Leaked Demos and Out of Range than anything else. I don't think most of these songs will be great live. I still have a feeling that Brand New is going to pull a Frank Ocean at some point. But I agree with Audioboxer, some of it does sound "samey" and a little bit too mellow. This album was mixed really really and produced well in the studio.

RulkezX

Huh my wife and I are in Glasgow on the 18th for a comedy gig, wonder if can convince her to stay up another night 🤔

Probably my last chance to see then live.

Audioboxer

Huh my wife and I are in Glasgow on the 18th for a comedy gig, wonder if can convince her to stay up another night 🤔

Probably my last chance to see then live.

I'm probably buying tickets for Glasgow tomorrow when they go on sale. I think there will be a farewell tour next year but it's Brand New, you never know. Would be just like them to do this tour this year and then fuck off for good lol.

Audioboxer

Never heard of them. Is the band name "Brand New" or "Announce 5th"?

Edit: ah, its Brand New. Ill look them up.

Just don't start with this album as it's shit
;D

To be serious for a minute, Deja Entendu is their most acclaimed and break through album. Some would say The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me, the follow up to Deja, is better, and they aren't necessarily wrong. Two beastly albums.

Audioboxer

Can't believe this is real. Wow, its really been 8 years since Daisy.

Enough time to have created two albums, so let's hope some of the conspiracy theories are right and this could be a double album!

I doubt it though. The sending out of the album as one long track looks to have been the marketing gimmick here.

The band just obviously wanted to change things up as they have and it's up to the fans to fight it out. Brand New always do want Brand New wants.

Lender

Fuck it. Downloaded it in a not so legal way but I couldn't wait no more. Can't wait for the vinyl though.

Bose headphones and a dark room. That's all I need for now.

Top Bottom