• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brand New Announce Fifth Album out in October

hughesta

Banned
Lit Me Up
Could Never Be Heaven
Same Logic/Teeth
Desert
No Control

are all fucking awesome. So glad this album turned out great.

Shiloa

Listened through twice so far.

It feels like the opposite of Daisy.

Need to give it time before I make any judgement.

I do miss the hardcore though.

Fuck. Brand New is such an important band in my life. For them to drop this album this week, of all weeks, is a gift. On top of that, it's a gem.

PRAISE BE.

Shiloa

Got a ticket to see them in Dublin.

London tickets sold out within .1 seconds :(

Glasgow tickets still available right now

E: Yay, London tickets back. Bagged one. 2 x Brand New In November :). Will be the 4th and 5th time I see them.

Lender

You bought bose headphones but you don't have 10 bucks for an album?

I don't like making snap judgements on new albums but I don't mind it atm.

26€ for shipment on a 27€ vinyl just to listen to it early? No thanks. I'll gladly buy it when it comes out or when I can order it in my country like I've done for all my favourite bands.

groansey

Only halfway through but so far this a lot mellower than Daisy and even TD&G... surprised it's not been mentioned before now.

I enjoyed I am a Nightmare and the heavier side of the band, so hoping it picks up the pace in the second half.

groansey

The only album of theirs I love is The Devil and God are Raging Inside Me -- will I like this album?

I like all their stuff and others may not agree, but based on a first listen I'd cautiously say: no. It's not like Devil & God.

I think I will end up liking it more than Daisy though, feels like a grower.

Darksol

I like all their stuff and others may not agree, but based on a first listen I'd cautiously say: no. It's not like Devil & God.

I think I will end up liking it more than Daisy though, feels like a grower.

Yeah. Like the quieter moments of TDAG all grown up

It's actually a lot like Leaked Demos 2006 which is my second favourite "album"

Thisisneogaf.gif

Guess I'll get it after all and see what I think.

Audioboxer

Thisisneogaf.gif

Guess I'll get it after all and see what I think.

It's really not like the Devil and God. Even on a quieter song like Jesus, it still isn't like anything on this album. Devil and God is straight up rock, whereas I think this album has a classic rock feel, and as another poster said a bit of western?

Some may feel this is "growing up", or "maturing", but to me, it's simply changing things up and I'm not quite sure if I like it. Just because the name Brand New is attached to something doesn't mean I'm just going to say I like it.

Lit Me Up is a pretty good slow burn, and Can't Get It Out tries to pick it up a notch. It's an okay song, but to me, it's where I start to think "is this Brand New?". Can't Get It Out sounds like it could be a Nirvana song or something. To which some would think that's amazing, I just don't think Brand New pull of low-key grungey rock. Jesse has a killer voice, but the music going along with the vocals on this album just isn't doing it for me.

Out of Mana is maybe something a bit closer to what you'd find on Devil and God, but even it feels a bit flat to me. It's actually Jesse's vocals I'd criticise on Out of Mana.

No Control is straight up old school emo or something. Again, really flat and meh. In the Water in parts sound like a "hard rock" band mellowed out for a movie soundtrack, fucking Nickelback, Creed or something. /flamesuiton

451 chorus sounds like something you'd hear on one of the Fall Out Boy songs when they ditch pop-punk/pop-rock for "experimental".

Same Logic/Teeth is probably my favourite song. Overall, just disappointed in the sum of all the parts.

Batter Up is an okay slow send-off, but on an album that's already put me to sleep another 8 min slow song just melts into the rest of it.

Audioboxer

There's nothing as heavy or fast as some moments on TDAG but there absolutely is remnants of that sound, however it's taken in different directions.

Do y'all mean folk when you say western?

Yeah, but then again I'd class a band like The Antlers as folk music and I really like them. I think "western" might be trying to nail down the audible vibe from a few tracks.

Lender

Yeah, but then again I'd class a band like The Antlers as folk music and I really like them. I think "western" might be trying to nail down the audible vibe from a few tracks.

Antlers folk? Granted, I haven't really checked out Burst Apart all that much, but Hospîce and Familiars are straight up indie/alternative rock imo. (fantastic records btw)

Audioboxer

Antlers folk? Granted, I haven't really checked out Burst Apart all that much, but Hospîce and Familiars are straight up indie/alternative rock imo. (fantastic records btw)

Maybe a British thing, but a decent amount of people here would say a mix of indie, folk and rock.

Put it this way, would you class Science Fiction folk if you've heard it? At best, it's maybe like The Antlers, a blend of genres where people hear snippets of styles throughout songs.

kiguel182

I was waiting to see if this would arrive on Apple Music today but it seems not. Are they holding up until October? Such a weird release, I love this band.

Anyway, just bought it. Haven't listened yet, probably tonight.

Bleh. Listened to it a few times last night and another time on the train into work this morning. Album's not for me, but glad everyone else seems to be enjoying it. Hoping it's a grower for me. We'll see!

Bleh. Listened to it a few times last night and another time on the train into work this morning. Album's not for me, but glad everyone else seems to be enjoying it. Hoping it's a grower for me. We'll see!
It definitely is. First half was not as good to me upon first listen. But listening to the album 6 times already, the entire album is fucking perfection.

And 👏 why 👏 doesn't 👏 anyone 👏 like 👏 Out 👏 of 👏 Mana

Audioboxer

It definitely is. First half was not as good to me upon first listen. But listening to the album 6 times already, the entire album is fucking perfection.

And �� why �� doesn't �� anyone �� like �� Out �� of �� Mana

Vocals are shit, especially at the chorus. Music that is getting played needs Jesse vocals from Devil and God or Daisy. Instead, we have "depressing/suicidal Jesse" groaning on.

It's still one of the better songs on the album. Same Logic/Teeth is probably my favourite, but mostly just because it sounds like a Modest Mouse rip-off, with some Jesse "screaming" ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I guess that could be my biggest criticism summed up, this is like some sort of tribute album where the band want to sound like other bands. Brand New songs have forever had some links or nods to other songs, but always maintained enough of their own style or invention. That seems to be lacking here, as well as an overall lacking of passion or enthusiasm leading to it just coming off as flat. I like many slow, depressing, moody or even "suicidal" songs/albums. Most of it even finds ways not to be as flat as what is going on here.

I mean, plenty of the slower or acoustic BN songs on old records have Jesse sounding far better than he does here. Maybe it's just Brand New's intentions to sign off with a miserable album to creatively suggest the "death" of the band. As artistic as that could be interpreted, it makes for terrible listening. I honestly don't think some reviews will be kind to this album, but then again, it's Brand New and I'm sure some will attempt to say this is a groundbreaking album even if they don't really think that is the case ;) (yes yes, I know many will really like it).

hampig

And 👏 why 👏 doesn't 👏 anyone 👏 like 👏 Out 👏 of 👏 Mana

Out of Mana is one of my favorites. I'm surprised to hear people saying they think the vocals are flat.

bonesquad

No idea how I missed this until today... Wow. Now I'm not sure what is real.

No Spotify yet? $9? Man, if only I hadn't just dropped $120 on another purchase... for tickets to their Chicago show in October.
;) I'll grab this for a listen tonight

devilhawk

I want to like it, I really do. It has enough of the right sound, but it isn't hard like The God and Devil and is far more mature than YFW or Deja Entendu. I never really got into Daisy, so this is probably shouldn't be much of a surprise.

citizentaxman

Neo Member
early days but i wouldn't be surprised this ended up as my aoty. i haven't even bothered listening to the new mogwai yet because of this

Really digging this. Would have preferred some stuff like the singles they released in the last two years but this is great too.
Edit: Oh shit, Same Logic/Teeth, fuck yeah!

Cronen

It's up on Amazon Music too.

For those saying they can't find it on Spotify, does this work for you? Link

Also, I am really loving this album. Same Logic/Teeth and 451 are solid.

kris.

Banned
It's up on Amazon Music too.

For those saying they can't find it on Spotify, does this work for you? Link

Also, I am really loving this album. Same Logic/Teeth and 451 are solid.

I had to drag the link onto Spotify for it to open and all of the tracks are greyed out but they still play. How odd.

edit: Same Logic/Teeth isn't available for some reason, either.

Top Bottom