• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brandon Sanderson's "Cosmere" novels to be adapted to movies

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually didn't know that Sanderson's books were part of a shared universe type of deal. I really enjoyed what I read of him, but I haven't read many books in years. I remember reading the first mistborn Trilogy, the elantris novel, and the way of kings (It was the only book in its series out at the time)

Kuros

His worlds are very different. The scenery is not Mediaeval England. Will be interesting to see how the hell they film a world like Roshar.

I actually didn't know that Sanderson's books were part of a shared universe type of deal. I really enjoyed what I read of him, but I haven't read many books in years. I remember reading the first mistborn Trilogy, the elantris novel, and the way of kings (It was the only book in its series out at the time)

If you want to spoil yourself a little, there are Cosmere wikis out there. When I read about the links it floored me.

Voror

I feel given the way the books are structured as well as the length that television would be a better medium. A few books like Elantris and the Mistborn films could work as films though I think.

Bessy67

I loved the Mistborn books (the original trilogy and the three new ones) but I just couldn't get into The Way of Kings. Maybe it's time to give it another shot...

studyguy

His worlds are very different. The scenery is not Mediaeval England. Will be interesting to see how the hell they film a world like Roshar.

The race makeup for Roshar as we've seen it now is also predominantly not white. Most characters are tan or darker skinned with epicanthal folds iirc.

Shinovar is the only place that has just what people would consider regular white people iirc, and right now there's not a huge amount of shins who matter.

Kuros

The race makeup for Roshar as we've seen it now is also predominantly not white. Most characters are tan or darker skinned with epicanthal folds iirc.

Shinovar is the only place that has just what people would consider regular white people iirc, and right now there's not a huge amount of shins who matter.

Yep. Shinovar is the only place that has grass as well.

The Alethi are supposed to be a cross between Asians and Hawaiians. And the Parshendi are dark red skinned "savages" Can't see any of that getting through the Hollywood filter.

mugwhump

Love his books, but I don't think most of them would make good movies, except for alloy of law. Way of Kings is especially way too big.

DMG is fast-tracking an adaptation of Sanderson’s “The Way of Kings,” the first in the author’s series, “The Stormlight Archive,” and has hired screenwriters Patrick Melton and Marcus Dunstan, the writing team behind several “Saw” films
ech

edit:

Yeeaaaah they're gonna be changing that.

I'm surprised they are going with Stormlight first. I figured Mistborn would make more sense, since the first trilogy is done.

telasoman

Fairly certain at one of his panels this last summer when asked about who would make the screenplays for the movies he said he would have a major role in making sure they don't ruin his vision of the characters.

We can only hope he puts his foot down when they try to ruin his beloved works....

VanWinkle

Man I'm so apprehensive. Mistborn would work well as movies, but Stormlight Archive books REALLY need to at least be a high budget TV miniseries or something. I couldn't possibly see a movie, even 3 hours long, doing justice to Way of Kings or Words of Radiance.

lotufo

Neo Member
While I only read the first two Mistborn books in the Cosmere (also read Sanderson's first Steelheart book and really liked it despite acknowledging how the plot is similar to Mistborn), I'm loving this. I will definitely read Hero of Ages by the end of the year.

Now, this may be shunned by most, but... am I the only one that thinks Mistborn would work WAY better as an animation?

studyguy

Also I'm like 90% sure I heard someone had gotten the rights to animate TWoK's a few years back. Wonder what happened to that.
Oh nevermind seems it was an April Fools

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
That last Mistborn book broke me. I have a horrible habit
of needing to know if favourite characters survive, and I skipped ahead after reading a chapter, and a piece of me died that day. Couldn't even continue reading.

That last Mistborn book broke me. I have a horrible habit
of needing to know if favourite characters survive, and I skipped ahead after reading a chapter, and a piece of me died that day. Couldn't even continue reading.

You didn't miss much to be honest. There's a reason the new series is so much better after making a clean cut from the mess the mistborn trilogy became.

telasoman

While I only read the first two Mistborn books in the Cosmere (also read Sanderson's first Steelheart book and really liked it despite acknowledging how the plot is similar to Mistborn), I'm loving this. I will definitely read Hero of Ages by the end of the year.

Now, this may be shunned by most, but... am I the only one that thinks Mistborn would work WAY better as an animation?

Sanderson has a thing for God Kings.

Mistborn:
Lord Ruler
Steelheart:
Steelheart :p
Elantris:
Basically all the Elantrians
Warbreaker:
All the returned??

Relceroi

Neo Member
It was only a matter of time. I wonder how they're going to portray the burning of metals in possible Mistborn movies, since much of what makes the magic system unique happens inside of people. Not an easy thing to translate well to a visual medium.

Not a great books series, even in its genre in my opinion. So good luck with that, also them doing this movie in house with horror writers (having the saw sequels as credits is not a good thing) and DMG being fairly unknown -to me at least- screams of development hell in coming.

Such an odd deal really even at that 200 million dollar price tag (which is a bit ridiculous), more so if the other offers weren't matching as much.

Maybe that was for the best in some sense. That script though yikes.

Oh well.

lotufo

Neo Member
My only fear is if this goes like the WoT rights, bought by some unknown company that didn't do anything with them (except that awful, awful pilot).

vareon

I read Mistborn and Steelheart...I don't know if this is a coincidence but they're pretty similar, only in a different setting.

They're also very much a modern movie material: part of a larger world, teenage leads, complete story yet leaving a lot in the world for sequel potentials. Somebody somewhere is probably trying to this happen.

lotufo

Neo Member
I read Mistborn and Steelheart...I don't know if this is a coincidence but they're pretty similar, only in a different setting.

They're also very much a modern movie material: part of a larger world, teenage leads, complete story yet leaving a lot in the world for sequel potentials. Somebody somewhere is probably trying to this happen.

They are VERY similar.

1) God Emperor endboss? Check.
2) Clear cut unfair class system? Check.
3) Teenager gets recruited by underground resistance led by a mysterious, yet charismatic person? Check.

Although they do manage to vary from there. Mistborn has the House War subplot and Steelheart has the awesome Epics. Also, the plot-twist at the end of Steelheart
that Megan is Firefight
totally blindsided me in a good way.

hamchan

His books can easily be anime. There's a fight in Words of Radiance that I pictured like Dragon Ball Z in my mind.

I think Way of Kings could work extremely well, if they put the money into it. I want to see crab-cattle. The last act of that book is brilliant.

WoK is about 387K words.

LotR (the complete trilogy) is ~450K.

Figure that LotR ran about 9 hours without the extended editions, and PJ cut a ton of stuff (Tom Bombadil).

I can't imagine how you scrape WoK into a 3 hour movie and have it hold up.

That and it's only book 1 of a 10 book series.

I can understand if they went with Mistborn, but starting with WoK is whacked. Stormlight would make a decent TV show ala GoT.

VanWinkle

WoK is about 387K words.

LotR (the complete trilogy) is ~450K.

Figure that LotR ran about 9 hours without the extended editions, and PJ cut a ton of stuff (Tom Bombadil).

I can't imagine how you scrape WoK into a 3 hour movie and have it hold up.

That and it's only book 1 of a 10 book series.

I can understand if they went with Mistborn, but starting with WoK is whacked. Stormlight would make a decent TV show ala GoT.

Yup, I honestly think GoT-style TV show (meaning high-budget fantasy show with great production values) is the only way to do the Stormlight Archive books justice.

I completely agree but there's no way something as violent as Mistborn gets animated lol

Mistborn fits the bill currently clocking in at 6 books.

Well, except that the latter three books are together probably as long as a single entry in the original three.

Still, it's a pretty sizable series. Although I think the two books in Stormlight are probably longer overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom