• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brave Frontier |OT| No puzzles, just dragons

colinp

Banned
Edit this post to see the Google doc link with GAF posters & their ID. Be sure to add your own as well to join the family!

top_brave.jpg

Developer: Alim Co., Ltd.
Requirements: iPod/iPhone/iPad with iOS 5.1+ or Android 2.3.3+ or Kindle Fire
Download: iOS || Android || Kindle Fire (US)
Price: Free! with IAP
Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f24fVRQLkW4
Jinko Approved Better Trailer: http://youtube.com/watch?v=qQhe1A65xkg

Useful Links

English Wiki
English Facebook page, check for latest official news and event info
Unofficial forum
Japanese homepage
Brave Frontier PROs

====================================================

FAQ

Source: Gamefaqs & AppInvasion - Brave Frontier section - Elunix, Burr, Styr, ZeroarkX and more - THANK YOU!

Q: I'm new to Brave Frontier (and these forums). Where do I start?

A: Welcome to the game and this forum! The game will throw a pretty self-explanatory tutorial at you that should explain at least the basics of this game. We're going to assume you know the basics and are here to find answers to the more nitty-gritty advanced stuff. If there's anything you don't understand, feel free to post about it here, but make sure that it hasn't already been answered! Thanks to our wonderful community we already have a plethora of resources available to make sure you get what you need.

Q: Where can I find detailed information regarding Quest Dungeons?

A: Details of the regular Quest dungeons part of the game's storyline can be found here.

Q: Where can I find detailed information regarding Vortex Dungeons?

A: Details of the weekly dungeons are available here. Details regarding Metal Parades can be found here.

Q: Where can I farm/obtain ________ (item)?

A: The most popular items people search for currently are the last two materials for the Muramasa Sphere (50% ATK Boost for turns 1 and 2), namely Guardian Eyes and Blood Pelts. Below are a list of confirmed locations where these materials are obtainable (though you may need a Thief Bracer Sphere equipped to get them), but please also note that you can obtain these materials in the weekly Friday Vortex Dungeon for Hostile Relics.

For Guardian Eyes:
- Morgan, Nocturnal Forest - The Hunter of Time (on the boss stage, repeatedly hit Lario)
- Morgan, Asekutt Wastelands - The Bewitching Tactician (on the boss stage, repeatedly hit Weiss)
- Morgan, Tower of Morgan

For Blood Pelts:
- Morgan, Shrine of Lystia - The Sword of Lightning Speed (on the boss stage, repeatedly hit Atro)
- Morgan, Destroyed Cathedral - The Peculiar Black Knight (on the boss stage, repeatedly hit Magress)
- Morgan, Tower of Morgan - Shadowless Creatures (on the boss stage, repeatedly hit Will)

Some of the Guardian Eye dungeons have not been provided as we don't know for certain which monsters drop them; what we do know is that they have very low drop rates. It's highly recommended to guard with 5 members of your team when you reach the boss and attack with only one to whittle it down as slowly as possible and increase your chances of obtaining one of these two key items. There have also been cases of chests in each of these dungeons containing these materials.

Other important item locations are as follows:

For Cure Materials (Green Grass & Green Drop):
- Mistral, Adventurer's Prairie - Monsters of the Prairie

When farming cure materials you'll want to target each monster individually and overkill it with all 6 units as much as possible. This is known to increase the amount of items the monster will drop and is your best bet to collect the most amount of materials in each run.

For Paladin Stones (Used to make Seals for mono-element squads):
- Town, Mountains

Paladin Stones can only be obtained from your Mountain by farming it (tapping it when it's sparkly), but you will need your Mountains at a sufficient level before they start appearing. Level it up with Karma at the Upgrades house in your town.

For Honor Items (Used to make various items like Revives or certain Spheres):
Honor items (drops, claws, pelts) are pink in colour and are only obtainable through gifting; that is, you must be given these items by other players. As such, it's important to add friends to your friends list and gift! Always try to gift people what they ask for and they'll surely return the favour.

More items will be added to this list in the future as we gather more information.

Q: Where can I farm/obtain ________ (unit)?

A: Many units can only be rare summoned. Rare summons cost 5 gems per summon, and guarantee a 3* unit or higher. Especially for new players, early gem rewards should be invested in summoning new units to get yourself started.

Other units can only be honor summoned. Honor summons cost 200 honor points per summon, but are limited to 1* or 2* units (with the exception of Jewel/Metal creatures during special events). Of particular note is that the 6 starter units (Selena, Lance, Vargas, Eze, Atro, and Magress) are only obtainable via honor summon.

There are other units that are obtainable via capture. In addition to every 1* and 2* unit in the game, Zephu, Lario, Zegar, Weiss, Luna, and Mifune are all obtainable in their respective element dungeons in St. Lamia. Their appearance and capture rates are very low, but they are capturable. Other 3* units are also possible to capture, but this is exclusive to Morgan and St. Lamia maps.

Lastly, there may be units that are only available for a limited time. Brave Frontier Global has currently seen 3 of these units, namely Stya (December 2013), Alma (January 2014), and Oboro (January 2014). We expect that three more units are to come, one for each of the remaining elements, but we do not know when this will be.

Q: Where can I obtain ________ (Nymph/Spirit/Idol/Totem/Mimic/Bat Mimic)?

A: Nymphs, Spirits, Idols, and Totems, Mimics, and Bat Mimics are material units that act as components to the evolution of other units. They have been ranked according to difficulty (easiest to most difficult by colour) and appear as follows:

Nymphs: Tuesday Vortex Dungeon - Paradise of the Fairies, Lv. 1
Spirits: Tuesday Vortex Dungeon - Paradise of the Fairies, Lv. 2
Mimics: Wednesday Vortex Dungeon - The Box of Desires Lv. 1
Bat Mimics: Wednesday Vortex Dungeon - The Box of Desires Lv. 2
Idols: Tuesday Vortex Dungeon - Paradise of the Fairies, Lv. 3
Totems: Thursday Vortex Dungeon - Ruins of Fire/Water/Earth/Thunder, Lv. 3

With the exception of Totems, all of the evolution units can appear in the quest dungeons:

Nymphs: Mistral - Appear randomly in dungeons of their element
Spirits: Morgan - Appear randomly in dungeons of their element
Mimics: Everywhere - Appear randomly from spawned treasure chests (watch the chest for a shake)
Bat Mimics: St. Lamia - Appear randomly from spawned treasure chests (watch the chest for a shake)
Idols: St. Lamia - Appear randomly in dungeons of their element

Please note that the spawn rates in quest maps are very low and encounters do not necessarily mean you will capture them. In all cases, we recommend going to the appropriate weekly vortex dungeons for your fusing materials, and the quest maps have only been provided as an alternative during the week for those who wish to attempt searching the harder way.

Q: What are units types and why are they important?

A: We encourage new players to actually pay as little attention to unit types as possible as they'll need whatever they can get. A strong unit, even with a less favourable typing, can still be vastly superior to many others. That being said, Unit Types refer to one of five different "traits" each unit may have. Each provides its own benefits, and consequential downsides. The details of the five unit types are as follows:

Anima: +HP, -REC
Breaker: +ATT, -DEF
Lord: Normal Growth
Guardian: +DEF, -ATT
Oracle: +REC, -HP

HP refers to a unit's health/life points.
REC refers to a unit's effectiveness in recovering HP, both from heart crystals and heals from other units. This may also affect how fast Brave Burst is generated per Battle Crystal.
ATT refers to a unit's attack stat, and how much damage it deals.
DEF refers to a unit's defense stat, and how much damage reduction/mitigation it has.

Q: What are status ailments and why should I care about them?

A: Status Ailments are important as they add beneficial effects to the attacks of your units, or, harmful effects to the attacks of enemy units. Usually incorporated in single-target* Brave Bursts but also present as equippable Sphere effects.

*There is currently one multi-target Brave Burst that applies the Curse status ailment, namely Oboro's

Q: How Do I Level Brave Burst?
There are three types of BB's.

Attack - Deals damage to one or more enemies.
Healing - Heal's units over one or more turns.
Support - Buff's units.​

To level BB you need to fuse units of the same BB type.
Attack to Attack
Healing to Healing
Support to Support

Most popular BBLv fodder farming spots:

Attack: Mistral; Adventure's Prairie; Start of Adventure
Here you can net on avergae 2-4 of Burny and Friends(when they're not busy faceroll'ing our servers) for only 3 energy per run. They all have attack type BB's so they work great for any and all attack type BB leveling.

Healing: St Lamia; Blood Forest; Frail Spirit of the Forests
Here you can net on average 5+ Fairy per run at 8 energy a run. The highest concentration of healing units I've found. From time to time Blood Forest will be hit by a 24hour 1/2 energy event, making it only 4 energy per run, it's preferable to farm your healing BBLv fodder then.

Support: I've yet to find anywhere with a particularly high concentration of support units, Thunder stages in Morgan and St Lamia give a lot of Harpy's which can be used for support leveling, if anyone has a favorite support BBLv farming spot say so and I'll edit this to put it in.

BBLv is based off chance, not exp, so there's no guarantee you'll get your BBLv, You could get 3 in a row, or you could go 100 units without getting one.
As of right now it's believe elemental type doesn't effect BBLv chances or if it does it's not enough to be notable. Same story with fusing 1 at a time vs fusing 5 at a time, it seems roughly the same in most tests that have been done. Most prefer to do 1 at a time however.

Upon Evolving BBLv resets to 1 if leveled so leveling it before the unit is in it's final form will only double your workload.
It's advisable to level BB right after the unit evolves to it's final form before leveling it to save on cost. A 5* unit costs 8,100 Zel per Lv1 unit to fuse into it at Lv80, that adds up to millions fast if you're not lucky.

Q: HELP! I don't know how to build my squad!

A: No worries! Make a topic asking for help, or head on over to (http://appinvasion.com/index.php?forums/Brave-Frontier/)! Or make a post here on GAF! ;)

Q: I sometimes see the words SPARK or CRITICAL appear when attacking. What are these?

A: Sparks and criticals are two very useful features of the game that allow your attacks to deal more damage than normal. Here's the breakdown of how they work:

SPARKS occur when two or more units attack another unit simultaneously, within the same frame. The word SPARK appears and the damage of the attacks of all units participating in the SPARK are enhanced. Tips and tricks to sparking include measuring the distance between units, timing your "attack taps," observation of attack animations, and using units that hit multiple times. Mix it up and find what's right for you! Please be sure to watch the video in the help section of the game for a video demonstration of SPARKING. You'll also be rewarded with a Metal King!

CRITICALS occur randomly. Each unit has a natural Critical Hit Rate (or Chance) for each of its attacks. Chances of a critical hit are low, but like sparks, will enhance the damage of the unit's attack that landed the critical hit. There are Spheres as well as skills in the game that can increase a unit's critical hit rate. For more information, please see this thread.

Q: Where can I get future information about the game, units, and upcoming events?

A: Aside from Brave Frontier's Facebook page, the English wiki is a goldmine.

====================================================

Apologies for the barebones thread! Just wanted to get something up so we can chat about the game instead of hijacking the P&D thread. Thanks to Cosmo Clock 21 for the thread title, Jinko for the info dump and the rest of the P&D OT crew for the good times.

If anyone wants to make a custom header pic or anything for the thread let me know!

ReaperXL7

I have not played the game too much but here is my current team

YW0Yq6h.jpg

Game is a lot of fun imo, and the devs are pretty generous in the amount of stuff they give you for playing without having to spend a dime.

I'm on a iphone 4 and when I try to start the game it simply quits. I'm running ios 5.x , I don't want to upgrade to 7 since it will slow down the phone (and consume the battery faster)

colinp

Banned
Does the Important News show up blank for anybody else? If I hit back enough times the entire list of updates shows up, but whenever I first open the app it's always black.

Anyway, my code is 476992070 if anybody wants to add me. I've only got one open friend slot at the moment so apologies if it's full.

Is it generally true that I shouldn't join the Arena until level 18-20? Seems everyone is much higher than my lvl 11 when I check.

ReaperXL7

Does the Important News show up blank for anybody else? If I hit back enough times the entire list of updates shows up, but whenever I first open the app it's always black.

Anyway, my code is 476992070 if anybody wants to add me. I've only got one open friend slot at the moment so apologies if it's full.

Is it generally true that I shouldn't join the Arena until level 18-20? Seems everyone is much higher than my lvl 11 when I check.

I have not had any issues, but I'm using an Xperia it's rare I have issues with games on it.

As for the arena you can cycle through people by just exiting and 're-entering again. Allot of people are at a high level but I don't usually have a hard time finding people at lower levels.

Jinko

Sometimes you get weird bugs like this, you will prob have to reinstall the app again. (try deleting the cache first though maybe)

I had much more success in Arena when I first started playing now everyone has tier 5-6 characters and just face rolls you when you step in there.

As above mentioned they have added a refresh button now so you can find someone in your bracket. (its too bad they don't pair you up with people in your ranking automatically)

colinp

Banned
Sometimes you get weird bugs like this, you will prob have to reinstall the app again.

Hmmmmm, will I lose progress or anything if I do? Not sure it's worth it as it's not that big of a deal.

How do I delete the cache? I'm on iOS 7!

Jinko

Hmmmmm, will I lose progress or anything if I do? Not sure it's worth it as it's not that big of a deal.

How do I delete the cache? I'm on iOS 7!

Not sure how you do it on iphone, as long as you have linked your account to a facebook profile (which I think is mandatory) you won't lose progress.

colinp

Banned
Not sure how you do it on iphone, as long as you have linked your account to a facebook profile (which I think is mandatory) you won't lose progress.

Ooh, I should update the OP with that info! Facebook isn't required! But they'll give you a free stone for linking it, and if you Like the game on Fb you get a free character. The character is different depending on whether you're on Android or iOS.

So, should I just take whatever the game gives me as my first rare roll? Or am I gonna be stuck in reroll hell for the next 3 days?

Jinko

So, should I just take whatever the game gives me as my first rare roll? Or am I gonna be stuck in reroll hell for the next 3 days?

I don't think there are any bad characters from the gacha at least not for the PVE aspect, if you plan to do a lot of Arena it could be a different story though.

You will get plenty of chances to earn gems also so can roll something else later on.

It's worth mentioning that the starter elemental characters are all rare pulls from the honor gate, these can be evolved into 5 star characters and have great leader abilities later on.

ReaperXL7

If you a 4 star or above I would not bother rerolling Tbh. You'll get plenty of diamonds for a few more rolls, and the devs are good about giving out free diamonds/honor points/ and even some decent characters.

colinp

Banned
Managed to win two matches in Arena! Had to refresh over and over till I found people around my level but it worked.

Must... not... get sucked into another game. Subbed anyway.

It's a nice switch from the PAD gameplay. More RPG and less matching. I really appreciate the mechanics right now. We'll see how long that lasts.

I wouldn't be surprise if chances were 10% or lower.

For drops? I actually find them surprisingly high. I'm only on the 3rd (snow) levels right now, but have had the last level 'boss' drop a few times. I'm sure it'll change.

colinp

Banned
It's a nice switch from the PAD gameplay. More RPG and less matching. I really appreciate the mechanics right now. We'll see how long that lasts.

For drops? I actually find them surprisingly high. I'm only on the 3rd (snow) levels right now, but have had the last level 'boss' drop a few times. I'm sure it'll change.

Yep, I agree re PAD and drop rates. Even 10% is better than 2%...

I do find the "story" in BF beyond moronic and I can't believe they don't let you skip the dialog scenes faster. Going through the first vortex was pretty ridiculous, too. Somebody obviously really thinks they're doing something important with that story...

ReaperXL7

I really don't like the art. Is the gameplay fun at least? How does it play?

Like a turn based JRPG with your characters on one side, and the enemies on the other. You tap the characters portrait for them to attack, and if you time their attacks correctly you can gain damage boosts, every character also has their own brave burst(limit break) that is specific for each.

I played this for about a month and it was great fun, but I got to a point where running a battle run took over 20 minutes and it was a serious grind. I lost interest and deleted it. It was fun for awhile though

can this game be played offline or do you have to have a constant internet connection to play?

My work is a 4g deadzone and I can't turn off only 4g on the lg g2 (ugh), so I'm hoping this is something I can do when I'm bored (aka crapping)

colinp

Banned
can this game be played offline or do you have to have a constant internet connection to play?

My work is a 4g deadzone and I can't turn off only 4g on the lg g2 (ugh), so I'm hoping this is something I can do when I'm bored (aka crapping)

I guess it's online only. It's always connecting to talk to the head servers and check in.

Assault

Started playing this today, it's pretty fun actually. The only problem is that it takes forever to recharge your energy! (unless you wanna pay money)

Tried it out because I saw this thread. Enjoying it so far more than PAD. A little slow on iphone 4 but it's now fine after I turned off some combat animations. Curious to see how it is later though.

chrono01

Thanks for the OT!

I should mention that re-rolling in this isn't as easy as Puzzle & Dragons. Well, that's assuming you link your account with Facebook. Once you do the only way to re-roll is to completely factory restore your iPhone. Deleting/Re-installing the game won't work, since it will automatically log you back in to your Facebook account once you do. Even removing the Facebook settings from your iPhone doesn't work since the cache is store elsewhere, and that's where Brave Frontier accesses it.

So, if you're considering re-rolling for a specific Hero, you might want to stay on a Guest account until you do. Then afterwards, link your account with Facebook so you can save your progress across devices, as well as get your free Stone/Hero.

I'll be creating a new account in the next few weeks after I get my new iPhone. Brave Frontier runs really slow on my 3GS, and I've been debating on upgrading to a 5S, so I figured now would be a good time. Once I do, I'll post my ID here [as well as add you all].

Flambe

Welp might as well give this a shot, 33023872. 3* from my rare pull probably shouldn't have linked to facebook right away, ah well lol.

Lastly, there may be units that are only available for a limited time. Brave Frontier Global has currently seen 3 of these units, namely Stya (December 2013), Alma (January 2014), and Oboro (January 2014). We expect that three more units are to come, one for each of the remaining elements, but we do not know when this will be.

I'm guessing that this is referring to a Godfest type deal ala PAD? So should save gems for that at beginning of the game rather than Summoning right away?

Soooo is there like a guide or something as far as units you should be aiming for near the beginning? I've got quite of few non-goblin/slimes and not sure which to level up.

forgrim

Apparently, you can do this method and get a metal god to use for massive experience. Gonna list this out for those to try and get it working

1. Go to "Social" -> "Special" -> "Get a Metal God"
2. Enter the code 154798066
3. Go to "Home" -> the red treasure box -> grab your metal God
4. Click the red treasure box besides "Menu" (presents)
5. Go to "Unit" -> "Fuse Unit" -> select your character -> use metal God
6. EXP

I'm around level 17ish myself, pretty damn addicted to the game while travelling.

Lockon

I have been playing since January. I really like the game, I wish the rare summon would give me good units with good type though. Bunch of Oracles. Also, thanks god for metal keys better than time based schedule.

Currently leveling BBlvls on some units which is taking forever and lots of money. Getting stuck on level 8. Can't seem to get to level 9 at all

Here's my teams: My fire god Vargas is an oracle type...At least my Alice is a breaker.

Marvelous

I like this game. I don't really have any good characters yet but that's alright. I'm just going to do that weekend map for Zel/Gold because fusing and evolving characters can get expensive.

I *think* everyone you can get is pretty good or can have a strong evo, including the original one you choose.

i expect so,
but if you notice some of the name in this thread...
there are plenty of pad veteran that are a bit "tired" of pad... and pad gave us a major skill..
patience for rerolling till you get DAT S tier monster (s tier time-based, depending on when you started)..
so i think a lot of us will try to min-max the game based on the first "free" hero roll :p
imho :)

colinp

Banned
i expect so,
but if you notice some of the name in this thread...
there are plenty of pad veteran that are a bit "tired" of pad... and pad gave us a major skill..
patience for rerolling till you get DAT S tier monster (s tier time-based, depending on when you started)..
so i think a lot of us will try to min-max the game based on the first "free" hero roll :p
imho :)

I know I know, I'm one of those pad'ers! Haha, still logging on every day and doing a few things here and there though. ;)

What is the best way to level up monsters? Fodder seems to not be very cost effective as the gold cost is apparently feeder level + feede level * 100 (which is kind of lame...). I've been using metal gods which seems to be pretty reliable, but I can't get many runs in this early.

Top Bottom