• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking: Justice Kennedy announces retirement from SCOTUS

TrainedRage

Banned
It's maximum lib owning:

DVPzGtkU0AAJz88.jpg
lol, no. Ha, that's.... That's just some sexual fetish being played off as a protest. :poop:

VAL0R

Banned
It's maximum lib owning:

DVPzGtkU0AAJz88.jpg

Nah bro. Maximum lib owning is we Trumpkins take the presidency, the House and the Senate. Then just when your lamentations and weeping find reprieve from the agony of election night, we take the SCOTUS for a few decades.

Harksteed

Banned
Nah bro. Maximum lib owning is we Trumpkins take the presidency, the House and the Senate. Then just when your lamentations and weeping find reprieve from the agony of election night, we take the SCOTUS for a few decades.
It's a pretty close race between that and wearing diapers, though.

dolabla

So was he supposed to to retire on an anti-Trumpers timeline or something? Just trying to figure this one out, lol

bucyou

"Thanks for all the service and ruling many cases in favor of the Left. Now fuck you, coward".

What's that loud crunching noise I've been hearing the last two years? Must be the Left eating itself.

dont mind him, its obvious he is trying to unlock the new "shitty hot take" achievement.

Last edited:
So was he supposed to to retire on an anti-Trumpers timeline or something? Just trying to figure this one out, lol

He's peacing out of one of he most important jobs in the country, fully knowing that the replacement is gonna be slid right in.

That loud crunching noise is people at the highest level not giving a fuck anymore.

Kennedy was nominated by Reagan. It stands to reason he would retire under a republican president. Don't you wish RBG retired under Obama ? Trump will likely pick her replacement.

Why would I wish Ginsburg would retire, when she has affirmed that she plans on holding her seat as long as she can?

Grinchy

Banned
He's peacing out of one of he most important jobs in the country, fully knowing that the replacement is gonna be slid right in.

That loud crunching noise is people at the highest level not giving a fuck anymore.
So, he spent 30 years acting exactly the way you would have wanted him to, but now that he's 81 and retiring, he couldn't possibly have a good reason for it? He's just some coward or lazy or doesn't give a fuck? There's no benefit of the doubt whatsoever?

So, he spent 30 years acting exactly the way you would have wanted him to, but now that he's 81 and retiring, he couldn't possibly have a good reason for it? He's just some coward or lazy or doesn't give a fuck? There's no benefit of the doubt whatsoever?

Sure there's a benefit of a doubt, and he's entitled to his privacy. He hasn't expressed anything leaning toward being forced out of his seat.

He's also a SCOTUS judge and they are to be held accountable for their choices. Their choices decide the lives of the rest of the country.

Why would I wish Ginsburg would retire, when she has affirmed that she plans on holding her seat as long as she can?

Because you're so upset about Trump nominating Kennedy's replacement. RBG could have retired under Obama, thus insuring a like minded replacement. Now she has to outlast Trump's presidency, which I wouldn't bet on, considering her age and health.

Grinchy

Banned
Sure there's a benefit of a doubt, and he's entitled to his privacy. He hasn't expressed anything leaning toward being forced out of his seat.

He's also a SCOTUS judge and they are to be held accountable for their choices. Their choices decide the lives of the rest of the country.
But his retirement being some horrible event is all predicated simply on you personally thinking it's bad for there to be a new Republican pick. It's not based on some actually objective reality.

Spheyr

Banned
I'm going to be so happy when Trump winds up getting four SCOTUS appointments before he's done with his time in office.

But his retirement being some horrible event is all predicated simply on you personally thinking it's bad for there to be a new Republican pick. It's not based on some actually objective reality.

Yea, and republicans have proven to make appointments and choices that don't actually help people.

I'm going to be so happy when Trump winds up getting four SCOTUS appointments before he's done with his time in office.

He could potentially have 5.
Scalia, Kennedy, Ginsburg, Breyer, Thomas.

Ginsburg and Breyer are both in their 80's. And if Trump gets reelected, I think there is a good chance Thomas will retire before the 2024 election.

Spheyr

Banned

Ginsburg and Breyer are both in their 80's. And if Trump gets reelected, I think there is a good chance Thomas will retire before the 2024 election.
Stop, I can only get so erect.

Fox Mulder

if that happens, the obvious outcome would be Dems moving to pack the court as soon as they get the chance.

Reactions to Trump's scotus pick :

LOVE these videos. Love them mocking the right, love them mocking the left. I enjoy seeing anyone who pretends to know what they're talking about, but all they're really doing is preaching their ideology. These never get old.

Harksteed

Banned
if that happens, the obvious outcome would be Dems moving to pack the court as soon as they get the chance.
Is there anything stopping either party from just adding more judges if they've got the votes?
Honestly the entire way judges are appointed seems a bit weird to me considering how powerful they are. A party that has full control for 2 years can appoint a judge that influences the country is significant ways for a generation if not more.

Fox Mulder

Is there anything stopping either party from just adding more judges if they've got the votes?

You'll need control of the House, Senate, and presidency. The constitution doesn't prohibit it.

It has always been seen as something the public would hate as a destruction of democracy. It's what people like Hugo Chavez and Erdogan do to grab power.

dolabla

Kennedy's retirement had been rumored for about a year now. I remember last year when it was being talked about. Finally it happened. I don't get why it's such a shock.

Dems nominating quite possibly the worst candidate to ever run (Hillary Clinton) is going to haunt them for years as Trump may get 3 (possibly 4) Supreme Court picks.

Last edited:

Bolivar687

Banned
I read the opinion column by Orrin Hatch, one of the longest serving and most respected Senators, hinting that Amy Barrett is the nominee. I highly recommend everyone read:

https://www.deseretnews.com/article...mp-nominates-a-new-supreme-court-justice.html

It breaks down the timeline since Robert Bork about the games progressives have been playing to subvert the judiciary. It also drives home what is really at stake: turning judges into "Super Legislators" who cannot be second-guessed by the voter, and political allies who will turn a blind eye to the constitutional defects of social engineering legislation. I'm also impressed how Hatch is unwaveringly ready to go to war, to stop what happened to Bork from happening again:

They will pull out all the stops to accelerate the politicization of the Supreme Court — but they will have to go through me first. [...] Too much is at stake to allow politics to corrupt the Supreme Court confirmation process. That’s why in the coming weeks, I will lift heaven and earth to see the president’s nominee across the finish line.

If Barrett is nominated tonight, the misogyny and anti-religion will be truly stomach churning. But no matter who gets the appointment, we are sure to hear the paradoxical contradiction that a "Constitutionalist" judge can somehow also be an "Activist" judge. They played this game thirty years ago and it artificially added decades to Roe so they can now point to how long it's been active, when we inevitably came to this point again. Much like the claim that both sides are playing games with the judiciary, we shouldn't let them get away with these narratives anymore.

Last edited:
Kennedy was nominated by Reagan. It stands to reason he would retire under a republican president. Don't you wish RBG retired under Obama ? Trump will likely pick her replacement.
You would have to go all the way back to pre mid term elections to even suggest her retiring. No one would have expected Donald Trump to run for presidency and win at the time. Anything after midterm elections, then the Senate would block nominees. Personally, I wish there was a term/age limit for supreme court judges so they won't be there for decades. I don't think either side would want that though.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

I read the opinion column by Orrin Hatch, one of the longest serving and most respected Senators, hinting that Amy Barrett is the nominee. I highly recommend everyone read:

https://www.deseretnews.com/article...mp-nominates-a-new-supreme-court-justice.html

It breaks down the timeline since Robert Bork about the games progressives have been playing to subvert the judiciary. It also drives home what is really at stake: turning judges into "Super Legislators" who cannot be second-guessed by the voter, and political allies who will turn a blind eye to the constitutional defects of social engineering legislation. I'm also impressed how Hatch is unwaveringly ready to go to war, to stop what happened to Bork from happening again:

If Barrett is nominated tonight, the misogyny and anti-religion will be truly stomach churning. But no matter who gets the appointment, we are sure to hear the paradoxical contradiction that a "Constitutionalist" judge can somehow also be an "Activist" judge. They played this game thirty years ago and it artificially added decades to Roe so they can now point to how long it's been active, when we inevitably came to this point again. Much like the claim that both sides are playing games with the judiciary, we shouldn't let them get away with these narratives anymore.
If you go to website like dailykos, people are openly talking about packing the court with far left judges just to gain more power once the democrats rise again.

They aren't even trying to hide it anymore.

bucyou

If you go to website like dailykos, people are openly talking about packing the court with far left judges just to gain more power once the democrats rise again.

a site with reeee in the name also had dozens if not hundreds suggesting the same. im gonna have to bust out an old gif to express my emotion watching the meltdown

giphy.gif

Its amusing how many opinion peices on Kavanaugh just went up. It would be fun to read all the ones that were written in advance for all the other candiates that were not selected but that the press had to prepare articles for in advance just in case.

Kavanaugh seems to be a pretty safe pick though.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I'm incredibly shocked that he picked the guy that wrote an opinion in 2009 about how a siting president cannot and should not be tried for crimes.

Like absolutely stunned, really didn't see that coming at all. Trump is usually such a selfless guy always thinking of the welfare of others ahead of himself.

I'm going to need a second to process the decision of him suddenly looking out for his own interests ahead of his country and more shockingly ahead of his party.

Fox Mulder

Stealing a pick from Obama was politically dirty as fuck though, so of course some dems will talk about packing the court like a dictator to reverse a conservative leaning court. They'll just need the senate, house, and presidency and scaring voters about how the court will allow gay concentration camps or something.

I'm not crazy about Kavanaugh's previous decision that collecting meta data doesn't violate the 4th amendment. Luckily the SC just decided it does, so hopefully he respects stare decisis.

Top Bottom