• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumors of Justice Kennedy's Impending Retirement from the U.S. Supreme Court

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kasumin

I doubt a national ban would happen. Even before Roe v. Wade, that was never something that happened. Rather it was a state by state issue. Not that it's any better, I just don't think it'll be pushed to that degree.

However, the other stuff you mentioned is a lot more worrying, because abortions, in Americas history, have carried a felony punishment before, and I could see that happening again, something not possible under Roe v. Wade.

More worrying than women being persecuted (I suspect states would go after the doctors, as a matter of statistics, and make an example out of a woman here or there) is the danger to health and safety of those that seek it dying of medical complications, due to the illegal nature leading to inherently less safe conditions. It's why in a hypothetical Roe v. Wade ban, states are going to *have* to step up, and offer safe conditions for people in other states to have access.

As a point of curiosity, if you lived in the US and Roe v. Wade got overturned, what would you do? And I'm not talking about protesting or calling your senators, but in what ways would you try to make the best out of a shit situation? Because that's the reality of what may happen. Personally, I would try to make bluer states possible havens for those seeking a safe medical procedure, because that would be the best possible workaround I could think of if illigilization of abortion would happen.

About your suggestion of states stepping up to deal with access to abortion and related services:
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/aug/20/texas-maternal-mortality-rate-health-clinics-funding

Back in 2011, Texas got rid of every Planned Parenthood center in the state, whether or not the centers provided abortion services. They also cut a ton of money from the state's family planning budget.

From the article:
From 2000 to the end of 2010, Texas's estimated maternal mortality rate hovered between 17.7 and 18.6 per 100,000 births. But after 2010, that rate had leaped to 33 deaths per 100,000, and in 2014 it was 35.8. Between 2010 and 2014, more than 600 women died for reasons related to their pregnancies.

That is an INSANE increase in such a short time for a developed country. I read about this the other day and it's the kind of thing that keeps me up at night. It's like... policy initiatives that improve lives celebrate marginal gains in measures of what they're trying to improve. This is the opposite and arguably an unintentional effect of Texas' stupid policies. Look at that increase in a matter of 5 or so years! Through its idiotically guided policies, Texas has managed to significantly increase the rate of maternal deaths in their state. To the point that it tops the developed parts of the world.

That would likely happen to the entire country if Roe v. Wade was overturned. The opposition to the decision is ridiculous, but that's another rant. But man, if that happens I may as well get a hysterectomy or move out of this country because having kids in the US will become more dangerous and more difficult (I'm being over dramatic about the hysterectomy part, but I'm serious about the rest).

Oh, and another quote from the article:
But the report singled out Texas for special concern, saying the doubling of mortality rates in a two-year period was hard to explain ”in the absence of war, natural disaster, or severe economic upheaval".

There you go, folks. Republican policies are about as effective at killing people as war, natural disasters, or severe economic upheaval. They have the means to prevent these deaths and refuse to do so for political points. It blows my mind. I just... that Republican policy can so effectively kill people horrifies and amazes me.

Kusagari

Reversing Roe v Wade means you'll get an actual revolution in the country, women aren't going to take that sitting down. Even if Trump nominates a wacko, I don't see 5 of them being dumb enough to do that.

Roberts will never actually do it.

Alito, Thomas, Gorsuch and two other chucklefucks nominated by Trump? They would.

I highly doubt Kennedy lasts until 2020. He's going to retire at some point, even if it's not this year. If Ginsburg bites before or after, we're all fucked.

Bolivar687

Banned
It's not a rumor, he's probably retiring by the end of the summer.

Don't think it will necessarily be the death of Roe but we'll probably see more mitigation of access.

THis also guarantees that any progressive policy pushed by a Democratic presidency (if it occurs in the next four years) is pretty much hosed right?

THis also guarantees that any progressive policy pushed by a Democratic presidency (if it occurs in the next four years) is pretty much hosed right?
Pretty much. Anything good the next Democratic president does can and absolutely will be fought by Republicans all the way up to the Supreme Court. Unless whoever the next president is can pack the court, we're fucked.

I think people should start preparing for the worst regardless of how truthful this is. All the Supreme Court Justices are old. They don't have many years left especially the liberal ones. The damage that will be caused by Trump will be felt for decades to come. There is no question about it right now.

I think people should start preparing for the worst regardless of how truthful this is. All the Supreme Court Justices are old. They don't have many years left especially the liberal ones. The damage that will be caused by Trump will be felt for decades to come. There is no question about it right now.
Beat hope is Roberts and Thomas fuck off or die when a dem is in office. And that Ginsberg lasts 2 more years.

Pretty much. Anything good the next Democratic president does can and absolutely will be fought by Republicans all the way up to the Supreme Court. Unless whoever the next president is can pack the court, we're fucked.

SO the timeline kinda goes:

1. Trump remains president next 4 years in 2020, probably instating the most diabolical shit ever in the name of profit. He can actually get away with shit now like absolute privatization of education, etc.

2. Trump loses presidency in 2020, but it will almost be like another 4 to 8 years of no progress.

Dems can't catch a break. Repubs won the gamble in the long term game.

It's not a rumor, he's probably retiring by the end of the summer.

This doesn't really make sense given the Supreme Court calendar

There's basically no difference between Kennedy retiring tomorrow and retiring in September. The SC year is ending and won't start again until October. He's not going to spend the entire summer preparing arguments and researching cases he never intends to hear.

This doesn't really make sense given the Supreme Court calendar

There's basically no difference between Kennedy retiring tomorrow and retiring in September. The SC year is ending and won't start again until October.

I figured the same thing. Until Kennedy announces otherwise, there's enough conflicting conduct here that classifying the conjecture as a "rumor" is justified.

Let me make this as clear as I possibly can.

Anybody that voted for Trump, or a joke candidate, or Bernie or Gary Johnson or Jill Stein.

YOU are directly responsible for the large scale pearing down of the rights of minorities in this country.

Not the republicans. Not Trump. Not Sessions. Not whatever slimeball they get to replace leaving justices.

You.

And I hope, god willing, you have some form of a conscience and it eats at you for-fucking-ever how you "stuck it to the man" and ended up fucking over hundreds of millions of people so you could get a jolly by being a fucking contrarian.

jb1234

I wish I had the ability to leave the country. Being gay and disabled puts me directly in the GOP's crosshairs. And the latter makes it impossible to immigrate. Things are probably going to get a hell of a lot worse before they get better.

I figured the same thing. Until Kennedy announces otherwise, there's enough conflicting conduct here that classifying the conjecture as a "rumor" is justified.

I just don't see why he'd hire staff and push for specific cases to be heard this year/next year if he intended to just fire them all and never hear those cases.

Looking into the history of SC retirements, it looks like the majority of them announce retirement in spring to give the new justice time to get put in place before the year ends. So he's late on that as well.

He seems to be doing everything possible to tell people he's not retiring, short of actually confirming it outright.

Anybody that voted for Trump, or a joke candidate, or Bernie or Gary Johnson or Jill Stein.

YOU are directly responsible for the large scale pearing down of the rights of minorities in this country.

Not the republicans. Not Trump. Not Sessions. Not whatever slimeball they get to replace leaving justices.

You.

And I hope, god willing, you have some form of a conscience and it eats at you for-fucking-ever how you "stuck it to the man" and ended up fucking over hundreds of millions of people so you could get a jolly by being a fucking contrarian.

One of my (ex) FB friends wrote multiple status updates about how we all fucked up and he voted for Jill Stein. He voted for Stein but he "expected" Hillary to win.

So we were the ones who fucked up.

The replies to that update were fucking something else.

bigzgod

No one has assumed anything. They have a small chance, albeit slightly better in an anti-Trump wave.

Also, their most likely pickups will be in Nevada, Arizona, and Texas. Nevada has swung blue, Arizona has become pretty much purple, and while I concede that Texas may technically be deep-red, it gets more purple every election.

A tall order, but not impossible in the right atmosphere.

Here's the thing. Even if somehow Dems pick up Texas, which in of itself is unlikely, they also have to defend all of their seats. That's not going to be easy.

Montana, North Dakota, Indiana, West Virginia, and Missouri. All red states and all states that Trump won by considerable margins.

Democrats would need to hold all 5, which is very unlikely.

Wisconsin, Florida, and Ohio are also in play and considered tossups.

It's very possible that Democrats might take the House in a wave election and still lose seats in the Senate.

The darkest timeline would probably be Republicans defending Nevada, Arizona, and Texas while picking up Montana, North Darkota, Indiana, West Virginia, Missouri, Wisconsin, Ohio, and Florida. That would give them the filibuster proof majority needed to invoke cloture.

platakul

Banned

You.

actually it's Hillary's fault

Oh noes, his supporters are going to be pissed off.

President Trump issued a statement Saturday greeting Muslims as they celebrate the holiday of Eid al-Fitr, breaking with nearly two decades of tradition of holding an iftar dinner to commemorate Ramadan.

“On behalf of the American people,” President Trump said in the statement, “Melania and I send our warm greetings to Muslims as they celebrate Eid al-Fitr.”

“Muslims in the United States joined those around the world during the holy month of Ramadan to focus on acts of faith and charity,” Trump said. “During this holiday, we are reminded of the importance of mercy, compassion, and goodwill. With Muslims around the world, the United States renews our commitment to honor these values.”

actually it's Hillary's fault

I put blame on Hillary too for not considering any kind of worse case scenario she should try preventing and not pursuing every last voter that was still on the fence about her after beating Bernie, but that fault really falls on her advisors too (who were likely thinking they had a 110% chance of victory after Trump was nominated).

Oh noes, his supporters are going to be pissed off.

President Trump issued a statement Saturday greeting Muslims as they celebrate the holiday of Eid al-Fitr, breaking with nearly two decades of tradition of holding an iftar dinner to commemorate Ramadan.

“On behalf of the American people,” President Trump said in the statement, “Melania and I send our warm greetings to Muslims as they celebrate Eid al-Fitr.”

“Muslims in the United States joined those around the world during the holy month of Ramadan to focus on acts of faith and charity,” Trump said. “During this holiday, we are reminded of the importance of mercy, compassion, and goodwill. With Muslims around the world, the United States renews our commitment to honor these values.”

Is Kennedy retiring at the end of Ramadan?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!

You.

More like the DNC and Clintons fault but okay.

You.

Who are you talking about? There aren't hundreds of millions of minorities in the USA. How will Trump or the Supreme Court fuck over hundreds of millions of people?

Trump's executive order on who is allowed into the country (which was overturned) affected a few hundred thousand for a few weeks, I'm not sure how many were permanently affected but its ultimately a fairly small number and the EO is currently inactive while the supreme court mulls it over (multiple courts below have denied it).

Trump's "do whatever you want" order to ICE/INS has affected very negatively thousands of undocumented immigrants who have been deported. This has definitely fucked over some people but its well under 5000.

The republican AHCA laws, if passed, will lead to millions of Americans losing healthcare over a decade - health insurance subsidies continue to 2019, federal payments to medicaid would only slow down starting in 2025. For at least 3 years little would change other than the penalties and fees, giving democrats plenty of time to reverse and undo the provisions if they win in 2018.

As far as I know Trump really hasn't done anything else, the republican controlled congress hasn't managed to really pass anything, and while pulling out of TPP and Paris are dramatic they certainly don't have any direct impact on people for the forseeable future.

The only executive order Trump issued in June was to expand apprenticeships in America, whatever the heck that means. The only ones he did in may were all symbolic things like establishing councils on cybersecurity and tech. He literally has done almost nothing in 2 months now.

night814

E3CtvAG.gif
Perfect

Who are you talking about? There aren't hundreds of millions of minorities in the USA.

Did you miss the entirety of this thread being about Roe v Wade?

Women having their rights pared back is not acceptable. Hundreds of millions of people was not tied to "rights of minorities" they are distinct statements, which is why they are in different sentences.

God dammit.

And people wonder why we're fucked.

This is why, this shit riiiiiiiiight here. Because nobody can just be accountable for voting in people that don't give a fuck about anybody but themselves. And because we can't go fifteen god damn fucking minutes without talking about the FUCKING PRIMARY.

Who are you talking about? There aren't hundreds of millions of minorities in the USA. How will Trump or the Supreme Court fuck over hundreds of millions of people?

Trump's executive order on who is allowed into the country (which was overturned) affected a few hundred thousand for a few weeks, I'm not sure how many were permanently affected but its ultimately a fairly small number and the EO is currently inactive while the supreme court mulls it over (multiple courts below have denied it).

Trump's "do whatever you want" order to ICE/INS has affected very negatively thousands of undocumented immigrants who have been deported. This has definitely fucked over some people but its well under 5000.

The republican AHCA laws, if passed, will lead to millions of Americans losing healthcare over a decade - health insurance subsidies continue to 2019, federal payments to medicaid would only slow down starting in 2025. For at least 3 years little would change other than the penalties and fees, giving democrats plenty of time to reverse and undo the provisions if they win in 2018.

As far as I know Trump really hasn't done anything else, the republican controlled congress hasn't managed to really pass anything, and while pulling out of TPP and Paris are dramatic they certainly don't have any direct impact on people for the forseeable future.

The only executive order Trump issued in June was to expand apprenticeships in America, whatever the heck that means. The only ones he did in may were all symbolic things like establishing councils on cybersecurity and tech. He literally has done almost nothing in 2 months now.

Pulling out of Paris will have a direct impact on people for the foreseeable future.

It's just not likely to go noticed. Pollution literally kills millions of people worldwide each year, and that's not even talking about global warming.

CazTGG

You mean like how SCOTUS gutted the Voting Rights Act some four years ago, an act which had a profound effect on the 2016 election and will affect all elections going forward?

I'm not even from the U.S. and I can see how bad things could get if Kennedy or, frankly, any justice retires with Trump replacing them in the coming decades. And that's *just* the Supreme Court!

Did you miss the entirety of this thread being about Roe v Wade?

Women having their rights pared back is not acceptable. Hundreds of millions of people was not tied to "rights of minorities" they are distinct statements, which is why they are in different sentences.

Women are a majority in America. There were 126m adult women in 2014 compared to 115m adult men. The numbers have consistently been skewing towards women over the decades and its probably even higher now. So this isn't a Handmaidens Tale of men imposing their will on women, literally voting women outnumber men.

Women are a majority in America. There were 126m adult women in 2014 compared to 115m adult men. The numbers have consistently been skewing towards women over the decades and its probably even higher now. So this isn't a Handmaidens Tale of men imposing their will on women, literally voting women outnumber men.

Dude.

Yup.

I still remembering arguing with progressives ON THIS DAMN FORUM that were claiming all the reasons they couldnt justify a Clinton vote, despite the supreme court alone was reason enough

so I am welcoming this. hopefully some of the abstainers get affected by this

Conservatives had infighting as well but at the end of the day, even the ones that didn't (and still don't) like Trump voted for him anyway because, "SCOTUS. That's all that matters."

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
God dammit.

This is why, this shit riiiiiiiiight here. Because nobody can just be accountable for voting in people that don't give a fuck about anybody but themselves. And because we can't go fifteen god damn fucking minutes without talking about the FUCKING PRIMARY.
The only people accountable for losing are the candidates running. Bernie lost voters in the South because he didnt do the work. So why isnt Clinton held to the same standard? Ignoring the states she lost was their strategy. Again: ignoring the states she lost was their strategy. Heres a C-Span link of Chuck Schumer talking about the brain dead plan to court Republicans over Democats:

https://www.c-span.org/video/?c4632402/every-blue-collar-democrat

This incompetent motherfucker is still in a position of power in the Democratic Party right? Why? This person should never open his mouth again in regards to anything politics but hes still there.

i never should have joined the Democrats. i should have known something was up when they swept in 2006 to end the war and did fuck all. A lot of time and energy lost because of these bought motherfuckers.

Did you miss the entirety of this thread being about

God dammit.

Blaming the electorate is never gonna net you a win. Saying that people should just be held accountable is a terrible strategy that will result in a loss. Also, the people who voted Jill Stein etc... were so small it's not even worth considering them. It's a waste of time to go after 2 or 3 percent of the vote, when fifty percent of the country doesn't vote, when 47 percent of those who do vote, are Independent, and when Millennials are the largest voting block, yet no one tries to actively get their vote. Obama consistently won because he was popular enough with these people.

Telling people they are terrible or stupid for voting for certain people, doesn't work. Shocker.

Oh look in a thread about republicans planning to undo abortion rights we manage to have douches like you to do nothing but attack democrats.

The fact that you care more about shitting on democrats than on opposing people like Trump makes you part of the problem.

Iksenpets

Banned
I would think if Kennedy wanted to keep the court as ideologically close to himself as possible, he would hold out to 2019 and try to retire with a GOP president and a recaptured Dem Senate, but he may not really give a shit. Dude's old and may just be done.

bionic77

Every week you think it can't get any worse.

And yet somehow it does.

It will be interesting (and terrifying) to see how long America stays on this conservative course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom