• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking news about dinosaur tissue (seriously)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brannon

To go even further, we can apply the mouse/human brain combo technique to the frog/dino DNA hybrids and get...

dinosaucers.jpg

DINOSAUCERS, YEAH!!

Badabing

Time ta STEP IT UP
Gotta love the baby

When is that show going to be on DVD? And why, with this possible world-changing discovery are we talking about Dinosaur-themed TV shows? :lol

Anyway, even though that thing is probably dead for a reason... I say clone it, and fast.

Brannon

Although it is sad that the finding of this tissue completely and utterly kills the long-running joke that God put those bones there as a test of faith.

Now the joke is that God put that pound of flesh there as a test of faith, eh, eh *nudge*?

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I'd kill to see a T-Rex before I die. Was huge into dinosaurs when younger, even wanted to become a archeaologist because of it. Seeing Jurassic Park I shat and pissed my pants at the same time due to being freaked out at the tender age of 12 but because it was the closest thing to seeing one alive.

Anyone remember Dino-Riders? IT COULD HAPPEN NOW!

mCACGj

What do you mean they did ? They still rule, I have a few episodes on tape, and they are amazing. What an awesome show.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Deathcraze said:
52-6964-sm.gif

Dino_riders_300.jpg

God Dino Riders ruled (well they did when I was four...)
Oh dude! These things rocked! I recall they were really expensive though. It was always a big deal when I got any of those, at least the ones that weren't real small. The TV show was pretty sweet too. The only episode I can remember involved using a bunch of mirrors to defeat the bad guys.

Anyway, back to the Jurassic Park fantasies.

Rocket9

I can see it now

In his third year at a prestigious university: "-Hmm sir, when are we going to start talking about dinosaur? - Heh? You've got the wrong program, that's paleontology"

axxxj

Animator in Waiting
In one easy step GAF takes new scientific discovery and turns it into a new sitcom :lol

Only on GAF. :D

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
dammit they better not make some dinosaurs are they fuckin crazy. I want my god damn reptilian healing factor why the fuck are they wasting time on dinosaurs.

Hmm, if someday a Tyrannosaurus rex were to be cloned, I wonder how close the actual thing resembles the way it's depicted in movies. Maybe the actual animal is much cuter than what we see in movies (cute feathered dinos seems plausible ;p).

Leshita said:
Hmm, if someday a Tyrannosaurus rex were to be cloned, I wonder how close the actual thing resembles the way it's depicted in movies. Maybe the actual animal is much cuter than what we see in movies (cute feathered dinos seems plausible ;p).

I don't think a 20 foot dinosaur is going to be cute...

I'm sure it will look the same, other than differences in the skin color and details like that.

android

Theoretical Magician
Leshita said:
Watch it look like Barney. And sing songs like Barney too. And then the scientists who made it have to kill it.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
obviously because dinosaurs wrote the bible...as a joke, invented yoga, and vishnu is really a dinosaur moving its arms around really fast for the multi arm effect.

How is that possible? How can soft tissue be preserved for so long? It's a pity the article doesn't go into that detail more.

And if they find DNA, they have to clone it. Screw Hollywood, the T-Rex has more chances of dying from modern diseases or whatever than it somehow going berserk and creating uncontrollable pandemonium. Man must play God in this case. A chance of a lifetime with really nothing to lose.

DJ Brannon said:
Although it is sad that the finding of this tissue completely and utterly kills the long-running joke that God put those bones there as a test of faith.

Now the joke is that God put that pound of flesh there as a test of faith, eh, eh *nudge*?

Once you buy into God/Satan doing the first, why can't he do the other? It's a leap of faith in either case. No real difference, really.

Monk

Banned
ElyrionX said:
Why's that? No, I mean, seriously.

Because it proves that back dating fossils and the like to be legit. Until now, people just assumed that backdating is accurate. And thus completely obliterating creationism and validating evolution.

You can say bye to judaism, christian and islamic religions. Well IMO anyway.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Monk said:
Because it proves that back dating fossils and the like to be legit. Until now, people just assumed that backdating is accurate. And thus completely obliterating creationism and validating evolution.

I don't think so. There are scary creatures in the bible.

Bregor

Monk said:

Evolution and Religion are not incompatible.

Bregor said:
Evolution and Religion are not incompatible.
God just forgot to tell about his past experiments? Just kidding. You believe in what you believe in. There is no such thing as the real truth.

Bregor

RonaldoSan said:
God just forgot to tell about his past experiments? Just kidding. You believe in what you believe in. There is no such thing as the real truth.

It's a fallacy to use a strawman arguement and pretend that all (or even most) religous people are Creationists or believe that the Bible is the literal truth. There is much more to religion than that. Many of the greatest scientists in history have been deeply religous.

And what do you know about my beliefs? Nothing, I'd wager.

Three main types of people.

Creationist: Believe in the literal interpretation of the bible, as in the world is only a few thousand years old, God would never allow one of his creatures to become extinct and Evolution is just a theory followed by people with their own 'belief' system (science).

Creationist Evolutionist: Believe the Earth is indeed as old as geology tells us it is, and Evolution does Exist. The modifier is that an 'invisible hand' guides evolution and God can be found as the fundemental driving factor in anything seen as chance.

Evolutionist: Believes in the theory of evolution, and that slight variations in members of a species make them more or less suitable for the environment they occupy, meaning some members are more sucessful that others, passing along those slight variations to other generations. Applied on a geological timescale, great differences can occur, and in the case of poor adaptations, cause extinction.

In an October 22, 1996, address to the Pontifical Academy of Science, Pope John Paul II updated the Church's position to accept evolution of the human body:

"In his encyclical Humani Generis, my predecessor Pius XII has already affirmed that there is no conflict between evolution and the doctrine of the faith regarding man and his vocation… Today, more than a half-century after the appearance of that encyclical, some new findings lead us toward the recognition of evolution as more than an hypothesis. In fact it is remarkable that this theory has had progressively greater influence on the spirit of researchers, following a series of discoveries in different scholarly disciplines… The convergence in the results of these independent studies—which was neither planned nor sought—constitutes in itself a significant argument in favor of the theory."

So discovering dino DNA doesn't mean the end of religion - perhaps a slight shift from Creationist to Evo Creationist, but people are remarkable set in their ways. Not much is likely to change.

EDIT: CAN SOMEONE GIVE ME POSTING RIGHTS? I've been here forever...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom