• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking News: Pentagon says targeted airstrike carried out against Jihadi John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Barbara Starr reporting on CNN right now, no link yet.

ABC reporting Jihadi John 'eviscerated'

The ISIS terrorist dubbed Jihadi John who oversaw the brutal executions of American and Western hostages was hit by a U.S. air strike Thursday night and is believed to have been killed, U.S. officials told ABC News.

One official said the jihadist, Mohammed Emwazi, was “eviscerated” as he left a building in Raqqa, Syria, and entered a vehicle. The official called it a “clean hit” with no collateral damage.

"U.S. forces conducted an airstrike in Raqqa, Syria, on Nov. 12, 2015 targeting Mohamed Emwazi, also known as 'Jihadi John,'" Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook said.

"Emwazi, a British citizen, participated in the videos showing the murders of U.S. journalists Steven Sotloff and James Foley, U.S. aid worker Abdul-Rahman Kassig, British aid workers David Haines and Alan Henning, Japanese journalist Kenji Goto, and a number of other hostages," Cook said. "We are assessing the results of tonight's operation and will provide additional information as and where appropriate."

Diane Foley, the mother of Emwazi's first victim James Foley, told ABC News Emwazi's death was "really a small solace to us."

"This huge effort to go after the this deranged man filled with hate when they can't make half that effort to save the hostages while these young Americans were still alive," said Foley, who was been critical of the U.S. government's hostage policy.

WaPo:U.S. drone strike targeted ‘Jihadi John,’ Briton linked to hostage beheadings
The U.S. military launched a drone strike Thursday targeting “Jihadi John,” the masked Islamic State terrorist who beheaded several Western hostages in Syria and came to symbolize the brutality of the militant group, officials said.

But the officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss an operation that has not yet been announced, said they are still working to determine whether the strike actually killed the militant, Briton Mohammed Emwazi.
Jihadi John is the ISIS terrorist that beheaded all those people in the videos.

Jihadi-John.jpg

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
Killing him won't bring the people back, nor will it stop the beheadings.

Sure, it's one thing to have vengence, but I can't help to think that this is just giving ISIS an enlarged self-image if one of their individuals is the singular target of a United States strike.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks

Sure, it's one thing to have vengence, but I can't help to think that this is just giving ISIS an enlarged self-image if one of their individuals is the singular target of a United States strike.

you know there's also the possibility of him killing more people, right?

He's not a high value target either, but the guy was pure evil scum. He became the face of ISIS, and his videos circulated widely in the terrorist media circle. He needed to be gone from earth pronto.

MIMIC

Banned
So is he dead or what? Cuz this announcement.....has announced our intentions lol

EDIT: Oh, they were air strikes.

So continue letting kill others...

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I can't think of a more certain way to stop someone from killing than killing that person. That definitely stops them from killing.
Then you must not have understood what I said or I was not clear enough. Killing terrorists is not the best action to stop terrorism.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
you know there's also the possibility of him killing more people, right?

I know, and clearly I don't want that to happen. But what I'm saying is that potentially his death could lead to more in terms of what ISIS could retaliate or (hopefully not) rally with.

Not to say that I know what could or will occur, nor that anyone couldn't approach such a thought, but stating one possible outcome of this declaration. We don't know the future brings based on our present actions, but we hope that it brings the best.

I think I'm rambling, so in short, I agree, bad guy being killed is a good thing, I just hope no one takes his place.

Then you must not have understood what I said or I was not clear enough. Killing terrorists is not the best action to stop terrorism.

It's well beyond terrorism, they're a major actor taking and holding territory. Adjusting foreign policy with respect to the ME might be a good recommendation long term, but isn't going to stop them sweeping across the the middle east conquering territory right now. Targeting this guy is just a PR thing if they can nail him, but I assume you're also generally talking about IS.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

It's not about vengeance it's about eliminating a successful strategic asset. In this case a recruitment tool.

* assassination by bomb

I don't think the world will miss this dude, but "targeted airstrike" is such a transparently sanitized term. Soldiers fire "targeted projectiles" at each other all the time.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Was there something which hinted he still contributed to being a valuable asset for them?

I read one report that said he was still a mid level Isis operative inflated in value for his "pr" value. So I have no idea what or where he was in or out of the organization.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
They use people like Jihadi John for PR, so it's not necessarily a war of attrition. The extremists will not be swayed from joining but the people on the fence might be.

acrid

Banned
If they got him, I hope they drop another bomb on the same location so whatever if any remains, no matter how microscopic, are vaporized too. Gotta be sure.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks

two sides of the same coin.

social change is a lot more effort/time, but in the mean time you have Jihadi John running around, what are you going to do with him and people like him?

ABC reporting Jihadi John 'eviscerated'

The ISIS terrorist dubbed Jihadi John who oversaw the brutal executions of American and Western hostages was hit by a U.S. air strike Thursday night and is believed to have been killed, U.S. officials told ABC News.

One official said the jihadist, Mohammed Emwazi, was “eviscerated” as he left a building in Raqqa, Syria, and entered a vehicle. The official called it a “clean hit” with no collateral damage.

"U.S. forces conducted an airstrike in Raqqa, Syria, on Nov. 12, 2015 targeting Mohamed Emwazi, also known as 'Jihadi John,'" Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook said.

"Emwazi, a British citizen, participated in the videos showing the murders of U.S. journalists Steven Sotloff and James Foley, U.S. aid worker Abdul-Rahman Kassig, British aid workers David Haines and Alan Henning, Japanese journalist Kenji Goto, and a number of other hostages," Cook said. "We are assessing the results of tonight's operation and will provide additional information as and where appropriate."

Diane Foley, the mother of Emwazi's first victim James Foley, told ABC News Emwazi's death was "really a small solace to us."

"This huge effort to go after the this deranged man filled with hate when they can't make half that effort to save the hostages while these young Americans were still alive," said Foley, who was been critical of the U.S. government's hostage policy.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
The annoying thing about jihadists is that they enjoy the thought of "dying as a martyr."

Still good to have one lunatic less on Earth and some more solace for the families of his victims.

Dennis

Banned
Am I cruel for wanting him to at least have time to be aware that he was about to die?

Like time enough to poop his pants.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Am I cruel for wanting him to at least have time to be aware that he was about to die?

Like time enough to poop his pants.

Who knows, maybe he would get off on the thought of going into paradise in a few seconds.

robochimp

They've declared a caliphate, how much bigger does their self image need to be?

Kite

* assassination by bomb

I don't think the world will miss this dude, but "targeted airstrike" is such a transparently sanitized term. Soldiers fire "targeted projectiles" at each other all the time.
Seems like a silly thing to quibble over, "untargeted airstrikes" are what was done in the previous World Wars and "untargeted projectiles" is called covering/suppression fire. If we wanna be all pedantic and stuff.

Piggus

See ya later, scum.

What do you propose the government should have done? Let him go? Lol. They had a shot and they took it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom