• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking News: SpongeBob is gay

Bullet Club

Banned
SpongeBob is part of the LGBTQ community, Nickelodeon confirm

"They said spongebob gay then LEFT THE ROOM"

Nickelodeon have confirmed that SpongeBob SquarePants is part of the LGBTQ community in a new tweet celebrating Pride Month.

The network tweeted a photo of SpongeBob alongside other queer characters, Henry Danger‘s Schwoz Schwartz and Korra from Avatar: The Last Airbender spin-off Legends of Korra, writing: “Celebrating #Pride with the LGBTQ+ community and their allies this month and every month.”

Fans have been sharing their reactions to the news on social media, one writing: “SPONGEBOB GAY, WE STAN A QUEEN WHO WEARS CORAL BLUE.”

“They said spongebob gay then LEFT THE ROOM,” another added.

Last year, SpongeBob SquarePants was labelled ‘violent’ and ‘racist’ by a University professor, saying that the show normalises and enforces tropes about the colonisation of indigenous lands in the USA.

The professor’s claim was based on Bikini Bottom, the underwater city in which SpongeBob lives. She says that the fictional city is based on the Bikini Atoll coral reef, set off the Marshall Islands in the Pacific Ocean.

SpongeBob creator Stephen Hillenburg died in 2018 from Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), which he was diagnosed with the year before. He was 57 years old.

Beck was amongst the artists and celebrities paying tribute to Hillenburg, revealing that he created the artwork for Beck’s first ever releases.

SpongeBob SquarePants first hit screens in 1999, with over 250 episodes being aired since.

Source: NME

Ivory Blood

L9MlEPwg.jpg

brap

Banned
Man, so every year they're just gonna select one random character and suddenly announce their sexuality? Perfect lazy marketing, that lets the PR spread by way if RT. I would feel so fucking stupid for being manipulated this way.
Sucks to be you. I just bought every spongebob season on dvd along with their new rainbow spongebob merch. It's nice to like things.

Whilst corporate pandering during Pride is utterly moronic, I'm going to give Nickelodeon lattitude on this one.

Story time:

c43460caac1d425493c016ab13642b4alg.jpg

In the late 90's I was a videogame producer. I'd worked at various places, but whilst at HotGen studios I ended up being the producer of this fine product. Shortly thereafter HotGen closed its doors for unrelated reasons.

As producer I would liaise with lots of people including many at Nickelodeon. Among the very dry business-like conversations that would occur there are always some fun nuggets of insight that shake out.

Nickelodeon explained that Spongebob had not been targeted towards the LGBT demographic, but their research showed that he was extremely popular with them. This was an affluent demographic and, like any smart business, they weren't going to shun away from a good source of revenue.

So, on the one hand, this recent news is hardly a revelation.
But on the other it's still nothing more than a corporation looking after its own interests.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Old news, Bo Burnham figured that out in 2006.
Because, my whole family now is shocked
I’m in the closet and the door is locked
Now my glory days are gone
I was John Elway now I’m Elton John
My whole family now suspects
Watching Spongebob had side effects
I’m not gay and that’s what I said
If I’m gay, hey God strike me dead, ya know?

Last edited:
I was actually thinking of coming out as transtrender at work and putting my pronouns as 'they/them' on emails to make me unfireable
Convert to Islam. Be at the top of the progressive stack. Then you'd not only not be fired, media groups would stick up for you as well.

Fushitsusha

Banned
Spongebob was always gay.
Convert to Islam. Be at the top of the progressive stack. Then you'd not only not be fired, media groups would stick up for you as well.
Can confirm. I'm a "minority" in a "ultra-woke" country and can be as racist as possible. I find no words to describe how retarded it all is.

Last edited:

lock2k

Banned
This is the equivalent of having a great suspense movie and showing the monster (and the monster is lame looking and ruins the vibe). You know he is there and exists, but it's better if not shown (said, in this case).

Last edited:

Fushitsusha

Banned
May I ask which minority in which country?
I consider myself white and am. To "society" and especially in this country I am considerd a "minority" though. As for what country it is in the profile (Sweden) and for ethnicity I will not say but you could figure some of it out from your post.

Last edited:
Top Bottom