• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking: Turok 2 canned, layoffs?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
HylianTom said:
Yum. I like Stash's green & white fusion tea. Delicious, and makes me feel better when I'm under the weather.

51015K4NG0L._SL500_AA280_PIbundle-6,TopRight,0,0_AA280_SH20_.jpg

That said, I'm going to have a cup and toast to Bish.
I see that and raise you:

51Q2J8KTA7L._SL500_AA280_PIbundle-6,TopRight,0,0_AA280_SH20_.jpg

It's so good, and the flavor isn't as delicate as most green teas. You can't easily ruin it by making the water too hot.

soldat7

I love Celestial Season's line of herbal teas myself. Especially:

Remember, two spoon-fulls of sugar or a big glob of honey.

This current economy stinks. EVERYONE is being affected by it. :( Sorry to hear about the Turok devs. Best of luck.

Enk

makes good threads.
Brannon said:
Thai Iced Tea.

Drinks_ThaiIceTea.128132141_std.jpg

Truly it is a delicatessical decadence for the tongue.

This also calls for a new Turok. Aptly named Turok: Defiance, to defy the naysayers. More dinos, more mercs, more throat-rips, more!

mmm... I love me some good Thai Iced Tea, especially if they add those little black pearls at the bottom. Good stuff.

MrDaravon

:(

Reading the OP then jumping to the last page was an interesting turn of events :lol

I've lived most of my life in CA, I'd never heard of anyone putting milk in tea. I usually just drink some sort of lemon green tea, do you put milk in green tea? I'm very confused now :(

Raistlin

For tea fans ... I highly recommend going looseleaf. If you can find a place that has decent stuff, you'll get a much better experience for your money.

For proper steeping, get yourself a teapot with an infuser.

51VSRFHEBNL._AA260_.jpg

I use a 1L Bodum Assam Teapot (pictured above), though there are plenty of varieties out there. That thing was under $20 on sale.

Perdew

Onix said:
For tea fans ... I highly recommend going looseleaf. If you can find a place that has decent stuff, you can get a much better experience for your money.

For proper steeping, I getting a teapot with an infuser.

51VSRFHEBNL._AA260_.jpg

I use a 1L Bodum Assam Teapot (pictured above), though there are plenty of varieties out there. That thing was under $20 on sale.

This man is correct.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Ginseng and Jasmine Tea!

ep40-395.png

"Sometimes life is like this dark tunnel. You can’t always see the light at the end of the tunnel, but if you just keep moving… You will come to a better place."

Tea + advice in the same post. Sorry to hear about your situation. =\

Redd

comedy bomb said:
Man it sucks to keep hearing about all of these different devs going down.

Yeah very strange. Anyway hope you still got your job Bish. This economy is pretty bad right now.

Sounds like it's time for NeoGaf to get a >>> Donate <<< button. I don't know how much money hardcore gamers can spare at this rate, though.
51VSRFHEBNL._AA260_.jpg

this is hot
Yeah very strange. Anyway hope you still got your job Bish. This economy is pretty bad right now.
I'm guessing there's a lot less money for investment, and companies that would otherwise continue taking risks are becoming quite a bit more conservative to prepare for what they're anticipating. Pretty unfortunate.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
bishoptl said:
I'm at home, drinking tea and watching Top Gear.

Sorry for you guys who didn't like the first game *shrug* but I'm not going around flaming accounts in a fit of pique. Even if those responses might warrant it.

Just gonna drink my tea.

ITS A TRAP. THE MASS BANNINGS HAVE BEGUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GAME OVER MAN GAME OVER

TimeKillr

I'm so happy it hasn't hit the Montreal region too much yet... I'm running three projects at once that are due relatively soon, so I hope I still have a job once they're done.

Still, it's horrible what's happening in Vancouver. If all else fails here I can fall back on EA Montreal, Ubisoft Montreal or A2M (even though I heard they stopped hiring lately.. sigh) but it's still a horrible thing to see so many of your colleagues, even if you don't know them personally, losing jobs over this.

I hope things pick up :(

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/confirmed-disney-interactive-hit-with-layoffs/?biz=1

Confirmed: Disney Interactive Hit with Layoffs

GameDaily BIZ has confirmed with Disney that it's consolidating studios in Salt Lake City and it's also cut some staff at Propaganda. Details within...

by James Brightman on Thursday, January 29, 2009
Confirmed: Disney Interactive Hit with Layoffs

It's as if every company has gone into panic mode and decided that layoffs are a must right now. Perhaps these companies should consider some alternative cost cutting measures. The latest to join the layoff party is Disney, which is apparently taking the ax to Disney Interactive Studios and other businesses, Kotaku has discovered.

GameDaily BIZ briefly spoke with Angela Emery, Vice President of Communications at Disney Interactive Studios, who confirmed the layoffs. However, Kotaku's sources were a bit off. Vancouver-based Propaganda Games, the developer behind Turok, is cutting under 30 staff (Kotaku had reported 70). Kotaku's sources also said this is likely tied to the rumored cancellation of Turok 2, which was never officially announced by Disney. Emery would not comment on the status of a Turok sequel, but she did say that Disney still holds the rights to do one. Turok was not a blockbuster hit but it did well enough to satisfy Disney it seems, and Emery said its performance was "nothing embarrassing." She also said that Propaganda remains a two-team development studio and is working on two unannounced projects.

The other part of Disney Interactive's layoffs involves some restructuring. Emery confirmed that the Fall Line Studio will be consolidated into Avalanche, both studios being located in Salt Lake City, Utah. These studios have worked on popular Disney properties such as Bolt, Chicken Little, Hannah Montana and The Chronicles of Narnia. The consolidation will result in "less than 20" employees getting laid off. Emery said it gives the company some "efficiencies" and it "puts Wii and Nintendo development at the forefront... giving Avalanche some additional development capacities." She added, "[The Wii] is a very important platform for us, of course."

Finally, Emery stressed to us that Disney Interactive's other studios such as Black Rock, Junction Point and others were not at all affected by the round of layoffs.

Kotaku managed to snag internal communication forwarded to remaining employees from Steve Wadsworth, President of the Walt Disney Internet Group. Wadsworth explained Disney's situation: "As you can imagine, given economic conditions, every industry has been impacted on a global scale. In response to this challenging business environment, we have examined ways in which we might be able to work more efficiently. We have taken measures to control costs by freezing most open positions, deferring some capital projects, reducing support from third parties, taking significant reductions in travel and entertainment expenses and eliminating other activities. The elimination of existing positions that we communicated today was a necessary step that we had hoped to avoid. In addition to all of these changes, we have also determined that Directors and above will not be receiving merit increases this year. All of these actions are part of a focused effort to ensure we are closely managing the organization through the current economic climate, balancing our need to respond to the current environment with our goal of driving significant long-term growth."

I think people's concept of milk in tea might be pretty distorted depending on what type of tea they drink. Obviously, green tea and herbal teas, etc are not meant to ever touch dairy.

A good cup of black tea however...

Raistlin

mamacint said:
I think people's concept of milk in tea might be pretty distorted depending on what type of tea they drink. Obviously, green tea and herbal teas, etc are not meant to ever touch dairy.

A good cup of black tea however...

This

(though many times I do it because it's a bad cup of black tea :p)

Probably the only opposition I have to this being a good general rule is for cold teas. In that case, many times things get reversed. For example, I typically wouldn't want milk in a black iced tea. Similarly, there are actually iced herbal teas where I would - Chai, etc.

Mash said:
You guys drink tea without milk? What kind of tea you talking about? Cause us English folk don't take kindly to folk who don't milk up their tea.
I'm English and I only ever drink straight tea.

(maybe this is why I no longer live in the UK)

MightyHedgehog said:
Problem is and has always been the source of funding.

We started our company for just over $6000, and we're now one of the most trafficked Canadian sites out there.

When it comes to new technology like social networks, Internet in general, mobile applications, etc. Entry costs are ridiculously low and there's a lot of money to be made. You don't need to get stinking rich off of it, but if you're good you can make yourself a good living and not be at the mercy of stupid management. You BECOME the stupid management :) Hopefully without the stupid part.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Onix said:
For tea fans ... I highly recommend going looseleaf. If you can find a place that has decent stuff, you'll get a much better experience for your money.

For proper steeping, get yourself a teapot with an infuser.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51VSRFHEBNL._AA260_.jpg

I have that exact teapot. It opened my eyes to the true nature of the tea leaf. Daily do I shed tears for those who yet live under the oppressive yoke of bagged tea.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
BorkBork said:
Ginseng and Jasmine Tea!

ep40-395.png

"Sometimes life is like this dark tunnel. You can’t always see the light at the end of the tunnel, but if you just keep moving… You will come to a better place."

Tea + advice in the same post. Sorry to hear about your situation. =\
Great post, great show, cant say I've had the tea suggested.

bigelow%20raspberry%20royale.jpg
is fantastic though.

Best of wishes to bish.

GhaleonEB

Sleepytime202065.jpg

My regular before bed tea. Though lately I've been on a prescription of Chinese herbs which make for a very soothing night time tea.

Hope all is well, Bish. I have a feeling I'm on the chopping block tomorrow. :\

Cheerilee

Nirolak said:
By god, this is like the eighth round of layoffs in Vancouver. There must be more than 500 unemployed game developers there. o_O

Best wishes to you Bishoptl.
I love how the BC Lottery Corporation has new TV commercials suggesting buying lottery tickets as an alternative to finding jobs.

Fine print: The BCLC does not endorse unhealthy gambling habits. Please employ self control, and only waste as much money as your out-of-work ass can afford, which is to say, none.

Good job, BC Government!

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
The recent Turok was definitely not my thing but still, layoffs suck any way you look at it, especially in this economy. Hope your job is secure, Bish.

Thai Ice Tea is pretty awesome! I'm sipping on some sencha green tea now, myself.

Raistlin

ixix said:
I have that exact teapot. It opened my eyes to the true nature of the tea leaf. Daily do I shed tears for those who yet live under the oppressive yoke of bagged tea.

:)

Yep. I always liked tea, but since moving to an infuser and getting true quality leaf ... the difference is just staggering.

HiResDes

Man I feel like an asshole now for not getting the first one, I played the crap out of the demo, but in the end I kind of forgot about it after seeing so many action/shooters come out around the same time...I really liked the melee knifing in that game though, the best since maybe Riddick.

Majmun

The gamesindustry is becoming such a joke. All the crazy lay-offs, canned games and dying developers/publishers...

Not good news if you want to work in de game biz. What's happening, urgh.

Yes Boss!

I almost drink loose leaf black tea exclusively (alway with milk, of course). The best tea shop that offers the highest quality in all of North America is Upton Tea Imports. Definitely take a look at their site. I've been a longtime customer:

http://www.uptontea.com

If I have to go with bags then it is Tazo Chai and Red Rose. The latter which is exquisite with milk...but they don't come with the little figurines anymore.

Also, though I've got a few Bodums they are by no means the best teapot...the steeper just doesn't let the water circulate properly because of the tiny perforations. Though it does hold its heat quite nicely. A ceramic or bone china pot is much better.

HiResDes said:
Man I feel like an asshole now for not getting the first one, I played the crap out of the demo, but in the end I kind of forgot about it after seeing so many action/shooters come out around the same time...I really liked the melee knifing in that game though, the best since maybe Riddick.

I hope you would say the same about a mediocre game made by an anonymous Russian devteam.

It always sucks when people get laid off.

Mash

I think you guys thinking it's gross to put milk in tea are thinking about posh and herbal tea. The average cup of tea we have here (the type we have at least, 15 times a day) is cheap and comes in boxes of 1000 bags so we milk it up and lace it with sugar to make it palatable. We wouldn't have it any other way.

The British method of making tea is you stir the tea bag around really fast with whatever teapsoon you can find, and then when you get fed up of that you just squidge it against the side of the cup and lob it in the bin. Then you sugar and milk that mother.

HiResDes

PjotrStroganov said:
I hope you would say the same about a mediocre game made by an anonymous Russian devteam.

It always sucks when people get laid off.
The sad thing is that I wouldn't, if Turok wasn't in a Turok skin, if it was another sci-fi shooter I'd be talking shit about it right now. :D

HiResDes

jetpacks was yes said:
You don't even need that, just a regular kettle. In fact, letting the leaves "breathe" in a large kettle instead of a small cylinder within a pot is better.
Wow man you know a lot about tea, you must be from Boston :lol

HiResDes said:
The sad thing is that I wouldn't, if Turok wasn't in a Turok skin, if it was another sci-fi shooter I'd be talking shit about it right now. :D

I respect you for being so honest.

Let's hope this will reinvigorate the team's will to produce nice and solid games.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
(Most of) you rat bastards know nothing of tea! :mad:

Bish and co. sad to hear of your troubles, hope you guys come out fighting!

ivajz

Best of luck to the people of propaganda. As somebody who once worked for Radical as an artist, its tough out there right now. Sadly, I don't believe this will be the last company we hear about. Hopefully the industry will bounce back in Vancouver.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Second said:
The gamesindustry is becoming such a joke. All the crazy lay-offs, canned games and dying developers/publishers...

Not good news if you want to work in de game biz. What's happening, urgh.
The same thing that's happening in most other industries?

Zoe

So what's a good "healthy" tea? I know green tea is one, but the taste doesn't really impress me.

Top Bottom