• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking WiiUews: Downloaded software can't be saved to the SD card

Erethian

Right, new content, but I'm wondering about old content has its own limitations.

Oh, you mean Wii stuff? No idea, but it wouldn't surprise me. Partially for security reasons, and partially because the Wii store came before DSiWare so naturally isn't as fleshed out in how they designed it to work.

This just in: he's talking about the games being tied to the console. Read the thread.

I've read it and there is absolutely nothing concrete in terms of license control and ownership. So he's overreacting either way.

IF they fuck that up significantly, fair enough, but we don't know that they have or that they will.

@Dragon, I'm not defending it, I don't care particularly - it just gets my goat to see people making stupid melodramatic comments and mountains out of molehills. Having said that, I fail to see how it can matter that much given that you'd need a lot of sd cards if downloads end up at the circa 17gb of games like Tekken.

I've read it and there is absolutely nothing concrete in terms of license control and ownership. So he's overreacting either way.

@Dragon, I'm not defending it, I don't Carr particularly - it just gets my goat to see people making stupid melodramatic comments. Having said that, I fail to see how it can matter that much given that you'd need a lot of sd cards if downloads end up at the circa 17gb of games like Tekken.

And you are overreacting by making it seem like he was talking about SD cards when he wasn't.

Eusis

Can you really?
After trying KotOR on the Xbox, no.

Seriously though, if he just means sticking a PS2 game into a BC PS3 or an Xbox game into a 360 with an HDD then you can boot it up the same way as a native 360 game even with features disabled, but that PS2 BC's gone from most units out there, and the Xbox BC performance is a mixed bag (if you want to play KotOR again odds are that your computer will run it better.)

iraqimage004.gif

Why limit it to home consoles? The PS3 and 360 already have better account management and so does Steam! Unbelievable.

The issue isn't that I'm defending the decision per se, but that you're attaching ridiculous negative hyperbole to the situation. The setup could is likely to be inconvenient. Regardless, the real hassle of transferring digital purchases from one console/ other device to another is the associated download time, not the transfer process regardless of the DRM in use.

If you're complaining that you can't just pick up an external HDD, plug it into a friend's console, sign into your account and go... guess what, that's not going to happen on another home system either. With Steam, you're looking at half your games being broken if you try this due to driver/hardware differences between PCs.

Does the decision suck? Yes. Is it some WELP THAT WRAPS IT UP FOR NINTENDO type of deal? Not at all.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm gong to assume there's a misscommunication, or an issue with the firmware that will later be patched, because if you can't download software to an SD card, then you can't download software at all unless you have a portable HDD. And that's a pretty big downgrade from the Wii and 3DS, as well as rendering the 32GB premium hike relatively useless.

I do expect purchases to be tied to accounts, but the accounts to be tied to systems. If Nintendo took the time to precisely and concisely explain the bloody system we'd have far few questions.

Pharros

I'm gong to assume there's a misscommunication, or an issue with the firmware that will later be patched, because if you can't download software to an SD card, then you can't download software at all unless you have a portable HDD. And that's a pretty big downgrade from the Wii and 3DS, as well as rendering the 32GB premium hike relatively useless.

I do expect purchases to be tied to accounts, but the accounts to be tied to systems. If Nintendo took the time to precisely and concisely explain the bloody system we'd have far few questions.

7 days until launch and there's so many things we do not know. It blows my mind.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Considering that the SD card is what compromised the Wii, and turned it into a pirates mountain side hideout, I am not surprised by this. They may change it later on if enough people voice their concerns. At least Miiverse gives us a direct venue to tell Nintendo what we think of some of their policies. I expect Wii U to have a feedback channel of some sort.

But why would that make Wii U any safer? External hard drives hook to a PC as easy as an SD card does.

If it was a piracy paranoia move, they'd go the Vita route and have a new closed storage medium that everyone hates.

Considering that the SD card is what compromised the Wii, and turned it into a pirates mountain side hideout, I am not surprised by this. They may change it later on if enough people voice their concerns. At least Miiverse gives us a direct venue to tell Nintendo what we think of some of their policies. I expect Wii U to have a feedback channel of some sort.

Get real.

wsippel

Banned
You could still download to the internal flash I guess. And as I just wrote, the vast majority of SD cards would simply be way too slow for Wii U games. This isn't 3DS - even class 10 isn't remotely fast enough. And there's basically nothing Nintendo could do about it other than require UHS cards. But those things are somewhat rare and expensive, and hardly anybody reads manuals, so people would bitch about horrible load times or games crashing.

dwu8991

Banned

you can still move your saves to the sd card !

LuchaShaq

Banned
As someone who never intends to buy a wiiU at this point I still feel bad for people who are going to have to jump through hoops due to nonsense like this.

imjust1n

Banned
But why would that make Wii U any safer? External hard drives hook to a PC as easy as an SD card does.

Yea but unless you want everything erased it doesn't matter. Once you plug your flash drive or external hdd it will ask you to configure it with the system. It will say it's going to erase every thing on that device. So if you go to your pc after putting stuff on there I don't think you can just rip the file from there and emulate it.

If the highlighted part is true, I'll be refraining from buying anything digital from Nintendo.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Welp, there goes another one of the few good things the Wii U had going for it. The fuck is the point of allowing expanded storage if your restricting saving downloaded software from it.

At this point it seems Nintendo is simply incapable of learning from their peers. Or themselves from what they did with the 3DS, funnily enough.

imjust1n

Banned
As someone who never intends to buy a wiiU at this point I still feel bad for people who are going to have to jump through hoops due to nonsense like this.

What is non sense.... Lol. People complain just to complain.
I like all systems and pc. I'm very excited to get my wii u. Things are not for everyone...

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, so SD is just for legacy software support and media? Would have helped if they had made that clear early.

Terrell

I seriously don't get why this thread is so large.

I get that taking away options isn't a good thing, but when they aren't GOOD options, what does it matter?

Sandfox

Welp, there goes another one of the few good things the Wii U had going for it. The fuck is the point of allowing expanded storage if your restricting saving downloaded software from it.

At this point it seems Nintendo is simply incapable of learning from their peers. Or themselves from what they did with the 3DS, funnily enough.

Its a waste but its not like any other console uses SD cards lol.

Yea but unless you want everything erased it doesn't matter. Once you plug your flash drive or external hdd it will ask you to configure it with the system. It will say it's going to erase every thing on that device. So if you go to your pc after putting stuff on there I don't think you can just rip the file from there and emulate it.

If Wii U uses some kind of non-standard file system for usb devices, wouldn't the first step for hackers be "make PCs able to read it"?

7 days until launch and there's so many things we do not know. It blows my mind.

There's no lack of overreaction so far either tho. It's like noone wants to wait for confirmation. Just scan through random sites/FAQs to see what Wii U thread we can come up with now. All of the mini threads about individual Wii U shortcomings(some unconfirmed) is beginning to get ridiculous

Yup

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
You could still download to the internal flash I guess.

Yeah, my bad, I mistook the 8GB/32GB packages to be an SD card, similar to the what the 3DS ships with, and not internal storage. Less of an issue then, given I won't be using an SD card when USB is the better option, though still quite strange.

There's no lack of overreaction so far either tho. It's like noone wants to wait for confirmation. Just scan through random sites to see what Wii U thread we can come up with now. All of the mini threads about individual Wii U shortcomings is beginning to get ridiculous

I don't know. Nintendo has been absolutely woeful at communicating the little bits and pieces about a system that is going to launch in a week in the US. We're only now hearing tons of shit second hand from journalists, who are in turn bound by silly NDAs that prevent them from doing such simple things as showing more than 30 consecutive seconds of game footage.

As far as I'm concern the handling of information for this system's launch has been nothing short of terrible. People would be less concerned, over reactive, and confused if Nintendo bothered to explain everything like they should. I mean, people still don't fully know how accounts work relative to e-store, friend networking, and just how tied to systems they are.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Its a waste but its not like any other console uses SD cards lol.
Expandable storage is expandable storage. Maybe the hackers will be the ones to pick up where Nintendo left off, but as it stands this is embarrassing for them.

Eusis

The 32 GB's on board, not an SD card unless I'm missing some news. Not that that isn't severely limiting when retail games are on blu-rays and at least one's over 17 GB, but you'd be needing an SDXC card anyway and at that point you may as well buy an external HDD instead.

imjust1n

Banned
If Wii U uses some kind of non-standard file system for usb devices, wouldn't the first step for hackers be "make PCs able to read it"?

Idk I just want to play video games at home. I don't care to hack and move everything around just download and play or put the disc in and play. All this 5 page complaint for being able to move a download able game to an flash drive instead of and sd card is stupid..... Just buy an flash drive lol black Friday..... Go.

Sandfox

Expandable storage is expandable storage. Maybe the hackers will be the ones to pick up where Nintendo left off, but as it stands this is embarrassing for them.

I don't see how its embarassing. If the slot was there and served no purpose whatsoever I could see it but not as it stands now.

cloudyy

It's not like you can't get SD to USB adapters either.
I'm thinking that if you're not able to use sd-slot for games it's because it's not fast enough compared to the speed required. That said, it might not work with usb card-readers because of that required speed.

Idk I just want to play video games at home. I don't care to hack and move everything around just download and play or put the disc in and play. All this 5 page complaint for being able to move a download able game to an flash drive instead of and sd card is stupid..... Just buy an flash drive lol black Friday..... Go.

The SD card thing doesn't bother me, beyond it just being stupid.

The downloads tied to your console is the part that people should be, and many in this thread are, angry about.

Ridley327

SD isn't a good option?

Well, speaking purely on the technical level, I doubt that SD cards, even class 10 cards, are close to being adequate for such large games. You can get away with them on the Wii and the 3DS since games are so much smaller, but you look at something like Tekken Tag Tournament 2 being about 17GB and 10MB/s just won't cut it.

That's a new one on me. Please provide evidence backing this up.

You can move your profile, games, and game saves to a friends xbox via USB (or via 360 memory card for units that have those still). Caveat is that you can only use 32GB of the USB device's space (cause Microsoft wants you to still need their overpriced HDDs).

Well, speaking purely on the technical level, I doubt that SD cards, even class 10 cards, are close to being adequate for such large games. You can get away with them on the Wii and the 3DS since games are so much smaller, but you look at something like Tekken Tag Tournament 2 being about 17GB and 10MB/s just won't cut it.

It makes me wonder if anyone carries about a SD card bigger than 32Gigs normally. Hard drive is definitely the way to go. Even if your Wii U gets stolen or breaks down, you can just redownload everything since you now have an universal account.

Top Bottom