• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking WiiUews: Downloaded software can't be saved to the SD card

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Because we might have piles of SD cards sitting around which we expected to be able to use, not unlike how we used them on a couple nintendo products previously? Because it makes little sense to allow the exact same medium to connect to the system over USB but not over SD slot? Because some of us bought fast pricey SD cards in anticipation and now all we can do is store mp3s and pictures on them?

Did you actually bother to read the thread?

You did? :(

It means that games are tied to an specific HDD too? What if it dies.

Huh?

Shiggie

Because we might have piles of SD cards sitting around which we expected to be able to use, not unlike how we used them on a couple nintendo products previously? Because it makes little sense to allow the exact same medium to connect to the system over USB but not over SD slot? Because some of us bought fast pricey SD cards in anticipation and now all we can do is store mp3s and pictures on them?

Did you actually bother to read the thread?

Why? Cards, plural?? Tekken is 16.7 GB in size. You guys plan on swapping.

MichaelVash7886

Neo Member
It isn't really clear what
1 Wii U per 1 USB media.
actually means. I mean I mean I know I wouldn't be able to just take my HDD over to a friend's house and use it to play. But I thought they already said eshop purchases would be linked to your Nintendo Network ID.

Blades64

Banned
What? He brought up several good points.

Fair enough. If you have an SD card that you would like to use. Is there some sort of SD to USB converter out there?? I don't think those would be too expensive right?

Again, I agree that it's a strange decision made by Nintendo, and it can be inconvenient, but it's not a crazy big deal that the Gaf hyperbole is making it out to be. :)

That's my biggest question about this being a big deal. We've known for at least a year that Wii U was using Rue-Blay 23GB discs for retail games, which means you'd be able to store exactly one game on an SD card and have to swap the card everytime you played a game, which is the exact same thing as using a retail disc. I refuse to believe that anyone who planned to go digital was going to utilize SD cards, and not 0.5-2.0TB externals.

Effect

Going to be going the USB Flash Drive route myself. With my connection downloading console retail games is out of the question. PC games that can be around 5gb is one thing. Demos one thing as well. 10gb+ on the average isn't possible. Don't have the patience and don't want to monopolize the connection either. As long as the game is on a disc I'll be buying that. So once the 32gb of flash memory is used up I figured a 32gb or 64gb flash drive should be good. I see myself using both mostly for patches, DLC, and eShop games that should be a more manageable size. A 1TB drive isn't going to be necessary at all and it will be cheaper this way and more within my budget.

My only concern is the life expectancy of a flash drive vs a hard drive. Will the streaming from the drive cause it to die sooner rather then later? Or because the data is just being read like a disc and the save file should naturally be on the system things should be okay? These are questions I hope will be answerable in time.

It does make me question the life expectancy of the onboard flash memory as well and if it will be a good idea to back up once in a while since that will constantly be read from and written to more so then any extra drive. It's also not replaceable since it's on the board itself if I recall correctly.

This is pretty crazy to me. Sure it may be a little weird and/or stupid in parts, but I figured people bought machines because of the games, not because "the infrastructure for software management is sub-optimal." And the 3DS has a ton of great games, including eShop games.

Shows what I know.

I have a 3DS, I just don't feel comfortable buying anything on it due to the nature of handhelds. Just too many things could go wrong combined with Nintendo's sketchy online policy.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
That's my biggest question about this being a big deal. We've known for at least a year that Wii U was using Rue-Blay 23GB discs for retail games, which means you'd be able to store exactly one game on an SD card and have to swap the card everytime you played a game, which is the exact same thing as using a retail disc. I refuse to believe that anyone who planned to go digital was going to utilize SD cards, and not 0.5-2.0TB externals.

Perhaps there are more than a few people that still expect to go retail for 'normal' games, and only planned to use digital for eshop games, which are much smaller? Seems a reasonable expectation to be able to use a safe SD card they might have lying around, or pick up a cheap 32GB card instead of a USB drive

Baconsammy mad lib: "I'm not buying Wii U because (fill in the blank)"

I mean DAMN, man, why are you so invested in every Wii U topic when you already know it can't do anything right by you? This battered wife syndrome you have with Nintendo is getting out of hand. At some point, the healthier thing to do is just walk away.

This.

I see that cute little chubby Yoshi avatar and always expect a post full of salt and shade.

JimboJones

Going to be going the USB Flash Drive route myself. With my connection downloading console retail games is out of the question. PC games that can be around 5gb is one thing. Demos one thing as well. 10gb+ on the average isn't possible. Don't have the patience and don't want to monopolize the connection either. As long as the game is on a disc I'll be buying that. So once the 32gb of flash memory is used up I figured a 32gb or 64gb flash drive should be good. I see myself using both mostly for patches, DLC, and eShop games that should be a more manageable size. A 1TB drive isn't going to be necessary at all and it will be cheaper this way and more within my budget.

My only concern is the life expectancy of a flash drive vs a hard drive. Will the streaming from the drive cause it to die sooner rather then later? Or because the data is just being read like a disc and the save file should naturally be on the system things should be okay? These are questions I hope will be answerable in time.

It does make me question the life expectancy of the onboard flash memory as well and if it will be a good idea to back up once in a while since that will constantly be read from and written to more so then any extra drive. It's also not replaceable since it's on the board itself if I recall correctly.

I don't think reading from flash memory causes much wear and tear, writing definitly does though, so it's best to avoid moving software around constantly (which is what the SD card manager on the Wii did...)
Though in saying that my Wii internal flash memory is still going after 6 years.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
No. I buy my fast pricey SD cards for entirely different purposes. Which, eventually, puts me in the group of those who have piles of SD cards sitting around.

People buying cards. Each. Since you brought up the question, though, I used to use 3 SDs on the Wii and I had no issue with swapping those whatsoever. With the handhelds (dsi and 3ds), though, it's been mainly upgrades - the next bigger, faster card taking over the functions of the previous one. Not counting my tunes archives which all come on SDs. For the record, I don't plan to download Tekken, but I do plan to download the entire U-shop indie launch lineup on SD card(s). Well, I did.

No. I buy my fast pricey SD cards for entirely different purposes. Which, eventually, puts me in the group of those who have piles of SD cards sitting around.

People buying cards. Each. Since you brought up the question, though, I used to use 3 SDs on the Wii and I had no issue with swapping those whatsoever. With the handhelds (dsi and 3ds), though, it's been mainly upgrades - the next bigger, faster card taking over the functions of the previous one. Not counting my tunes archives which all come on SDs. For the record, I don't plan to download Tekken, but I do plan to download the entire U-shop indie launch lineup on SD card(s). Well, I did.

I actually have multiple removable USB hard drives lying around myself. Just buy a usb adapter and you're sorted. Those are really cheap. Get a small USB extension cord for convenience if you want to be able to tuck it away and still easily access it.

It really does sound like they included the SD card for Wii backwards compatibility only. They've provided a superior alternative for Wii U software. This is probably the silliest controversy yet.

jmizzal

I don't think you can, but with how fast the optical drive is, I doubt that there's a pressing need for it.

Thats not the only reason I want to be able to do that tho, I would also like it for when im done playing a game I wanna back it up, then trade it in for a good price before the trade in value drops, then I can still have the game when ever I want to go back and play it.

Ridley327

Thats not the only reason I want to be able to do that tho, I would also like it for when im done playing a game I wanna back it up, then trade it in for a good price before the trade in value drops, then I can still have the game when ever I want to go back and play it.

That's never going to happen on anyone's watch, let alone Nintendo's. You're always going to need the disc.

shuri

Banned
wait a minute.......

King_Moc

Banned

So...you just want to pirate stuff?

Do you honestly believe they would let you play the game without the disc?

Dragon

Banned

Why on earth would any game manufacturer agree to that?

jmizzal

That's never going to happen on anyone's watch, let alone Nintendo's. You're always going to need the disc.

I dont see why not, if you can buy games through DD and have it that way, why cant you buy cans from the store and play it like that.

Why on earth would any game manufacturer agree to that?

It actually would benefit them cuz I will buy another new game from them

TriGen

I dont see why not, if you can buy games through DD and have it that way, why cant you buy cans from the store and play it like that.

Because you're reselling the game. You can't resell DD. That will never be allowed by anyone. You can 'install' a game not 'copy' it.

King_Moc

Banned

It actually would benefit them cuz I will buy another new game from them

You're reselling it, while also keeping it. You'd essentially have illegally created another copy of the game.

pvpness

Didn't take long.

I guess I can understand how people would be salty about not being able to use SD cards to store their games, but when we can hook up externals I don't see why it's a huge deal. A 1tb drive is inexpensive as hell compared to the use you can get out of it.

TriGen

You're reselling it, while also keeping it. You'd essentially have illegally created another copy of the game.

Right.

Basically you want to buy a $60 game, go home and copy it, trade it in for $35 (let's assume that's day 1 trade-in value). That would mean you would be buying a $60 game for $25, and your used copy doesn't help the publishers/developers (if it gets bought). So essentially you would get new games for $25 and that would lead to more used copies for sale. That will never be allowed as it's awful for everyone on the business side.

Roo

I'd rent 20 Wii U games in a heartbeat, install them on my HDD and play forever!!
each rent cost me 3 dollars so I would be playing 20 games for the price of one.
nice huh?

Top Bottom