• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brexit | OT3 | A Feast for Crows

pswii60

A little more digging.I was talking specifically about the Northern Irish situation and Good Friday agreement above. This rule is a more general rule:

Basically everyone is an Irish Citizen. Its a novel approach to immigration.
I'm not!

My dad's dad (my grandad) was Irish and born in Ireland, but my dad was born and grew up in the UK. So I'm not quite sure that works for me.

BigDes

I'm not!

My dad's dad (my grandad) was Irish and born in Ireland, but my dad was born and grew up in the UK. So I'm not quite sure that works for me.

It does.

You only actually need a grandparent being born in Ireland

You can become an Irish citizen if one of your grandparents was born in Ireland, or you can become an Irish citizen if one of your parents was an Irish citizen at the time of your birth, but was not born in Ireland. If you're eligible, you can register your birth on the Foreign Births Register.

https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/citizenship/born-abroad/

TeddyBoy

I'm not!

If one of your grandparents is an Irish citizen who was born in Ireland, but neither of your parents was born in Ireland, you may become an Irish citizen. You will need to have your birth registered in the Foreign Births Register – see below.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/irish_citizenship/irish_citizenship_through_birth_or_descent.html#l97318

This is the process I used, it's surprisingly easy and good luck :)

Edit: BigDes beat me to it!

Uzzy

Was this topic ever put in the community section like it was an out of date thing?

Hadn't seen it around.

It was, but it's ongoing and will be for several more years.

4CDuv8R.jpg

It was, but it's ongoing and will be for several more years.
*snip*
This reminds me of that woman on Question Time around last election time that said something like ‘I’m sick of tired of hearing about Brexit, we voted out why are we still talking about it?’

GamingKaiju

Great OP! Loved the call backs to thrones 😂

15 months since the Brexit vote and I still don't know what the UK's position is. Sums up Brexit to me.

Fuck me the sooner we recast a vote the sooner we can say face and move forward. On the reverse I hope someone develops a brain and comes forward with a plan the whole thing is a disaster so far. We haven't even sorted the bill out yet, time is ticking.

SKINNER!

Banned
The EU will bend the UK over backwards because they can and the UK will have no choice. Once the public actually wakes up to that reality I expect a big shift in opinion.

Sure....or the tabloids will do what they do best and place the full blame on the EU for screwing us instead of the lying UK politicians who guided us down this path. Worst part? The general public will lap it up and start spewing about how the EU are unfair even though it was us who voluntarily left the union. Perhaps I'm being cynical but I just refuse to believe that the general public in this country are motivated enough to change things...and why would they given how comfortable life currently is for most of them.

Vagabundo

I'm not!

As others have said that should be enough. Some good sites above form other posters. Couldn't hurt to have an EU passport just in case.

At least wage growth is going up:

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-br...kills-shortage-bites-recruiters-idUKKCN1BJ005

LONDON (Reuters) - A fall in people coming to Britain from other European Union countries has aggravated a shortage of workers and forced employers to raise starting salaries at the fastest pace in nearly two years during August, a survey showed on Friday.

The monthly report from the Recruitment and Employment Confederation (REC) and accountancy firm KPMG showed companies struggled to fill their vacancies and turned increasingly to recruitment agencies.

Foxshot

Neo Member
So wait, we have to experience something really bad before the government would even think about reconsidering Brexit?

danowat

Banned
So wait, we have to experience something really bad before the government would even think about reconsidering Brexit?

Isn't it too late to go back now?, article 50 was triggered, and I thought there was no going back, apart from reapplying to join the EU after we've withdrawn.

Uzzy

Dublin rejects British proposal for post-Brexit Irish border

Ireland dismissed British proposals for the Irish border after Brexit as unconvincing on Friday, a day after the EU chief negotiator said they amounted to a demand the bloc suspend its laws for Britain.

But British Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson, speaking at a meeting of EU foreign ministers in Tallinn, said a solution was “not beyond the wit of man”.

I'm sure the Irish Government is relieved to hear that.

Foxshot

Neo Member
Isn't it too late to go back now?, article 50 was triggered, and I thought there was no going back, apart from reapplying to join the EU after we've withdrawn.

That's what I was thinking. I remember someone saying that the UK would have to reapply (article 49) and start from the bottom. The problem with that is many of the 28 countries that need to approve the application aren't too fond of us at the moment and see economical gains with us leaving. I can't blame them though.

Also, I just heard about Rees-Mogg. Oh boy!!!!

Uh, at least the only good thing about this whole debacle is that it might be a bit easier to get entry level jobs. Web developer grad scheme I applied for and attended the interview for last year but didn't get into had a bunch of people flying in from Greece, Spain, etc. for the interview. The new migration plan would actually help me out in this respect because they wouldn't be able to get those jobs anymore without a work permit where the company would have to try hiring suitable locals first. As I've said countless times here though, that's not worth losing my EU citizenship for.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
well clock is ticking.. 18 months or so left

It would be a better story for the EU that a member attempts to leave and doing so is so shit that it just isn't worth doing, than they actually manage to leave and make even the most meagre of successes (by which I mean the country doesn't completely collapse - which it won't).

If we bailed on the idea, they'd make a fuss but they wouldn't say no.

It would be a better story for the EU that a member attempts to leave and doing so is so shit that it just isn't worth doing, than they actually manage to leave and make even the most meagre of successes (by which I mean the country doesn't completely collapse - which it won't).

But how could they say yes? Isn't article 50 kinda unstoppable, officially?

oti

Banned
I don't expect the British politicians to find a backbone all of a sudden and call Brexit off. And the British public seems like a big zombie just sleepwalking around.

I don't have faith in the UK to do the right thing at all. They'll walk off the cliff.

oti

Banned
EU officials have already said the UK is free to call Brexit off if they want to. If they do, I'd imagine they can say au revoir to all their extra wishes though.

I thought that it was completely open to interpretation.

EU officials have already said the UK is free to call Brexit off if they want to. If they do, I'd imagine they can say au revoir to all their extra wishes though.

Article 50 does not say anything about calling off the exit process. But i've heard multiple politicians say that it can be done.

Ooooh. Well then, I guess I'm rooting for that.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

No, as far as I remember the whole thing is a shit show with no clear process or rules. Because nobody has ever gone down that road. The 2 years is a guideline, they have no idea how long it would actually take for any country to properly extricate themselves from EU always and processes - the logistics alone may take longer than that.

Uzzy

That'd be for the European Court of Justice to rule on, if the UK wanted to revoke it unilaterally. I've seen a few legal articles discussing whether or not it could be revoked unilaterally, and none of them seem to agree. There could also be a political agreement between the UK and the rEU to stop the leaving process.

point is do you really think the proud british empire is going to crawl back and ask for forgiveness and ask to be part of the union again?

What in the what lol

Besides the funny "German", The Sun still doesn't get it: "Bedeutende Firmen auf dem ganzen Kontinent-Volkswagen, BMW, Mercedes, Siemens, Renault-sollte die Forderung Merkel und Macron genau das tun. Ein "No Deal" Brexit kann britische Firmen verletzen, aber es kostet Sie auch ein Vermögen."

These companies are demanding the exact opposite. Don't compromise on the EU's principles, because the single market is much more important than the UK. At some point this will also get through to UK politicians and "journalists", but I fear it'll be too late.

What in the what lol

Besides the funny "German", The Sun still doesn't get it: "Bedeutende Firmen auf dem ganzen Kontinent-Volkswagen, BMW, Mercedes, Siemens, Renault-sollte die Forderung Merkel und Macron genau das tun. Ein "No Deal" Brexit kann britische Firmen verletzen, aber es kostet Sie auch ein Vermögen."

These companies are demanding the exact opposite. Don't compromise on the EU's principles, because the single market is much more important than the UK. At some point this will also get through to UK politicians and "journalists", but I fear it'll be too late.

Honestly, the translation is so bad, they might mean the opposite from what you think they are saying.

Just moved to the uk branch of where I work from Ireland.

Have the option to be paid in pounds or euros. Any advice on which one I should take?

Thanks guys :)

jelly

Farage would want nothing more than Brexit not happening so he could earn more money. He is scum. Annoys me greatly he got voted in with a few on his UKIP buddies into the EU parliament and they're just doing nothing, probably disappointed leave won and their gravy train stops soon.

oti

Banned
Germany's attitude towards Brexit is like that of a person who's friend decides to leave his job in order to become a famous pop star they've heard so much about on television although they can't sing or dance.

Germany's stance is that it's a pitty the UK is this stupid. But eh. Life goes on. There are more important issues to deal with.

Top Bottom