• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brink |OT| _/^\_

Sanic

DScGz.png

Developer: Splash Damage
Publisher: Bethesda Softworks
Release Dates:
North America: May 10th
EU: May 13th
AUS: May 12th
Platforms: Xbox 360, Playstation 3, PC (Steamworks, system requirements here)
Dedicated server FAQ for PC players is here.

-News and Updates-

8/4/11 - Free weekend on Steam! Play Brink for free until Sunday, August 7th at 1PM PDT
8/3/11 - "Agents of Change" DLC now available on all platforms.
7/29/11 - DLC 1 launching on August 3rd for free on all platforms. Media here.
6/24/22 - Brink DLC 1 coming early July, free for two weeks.
5/13/11 - First set of DLC will be free! Includes maps and guns.
5/10/11 - The game is now out!
5/9/11 - Brink launch trailer released.
5/4/11 - Get SMART Tutorial Trailer #5 - Classes released. Can be viewed in the videos section below.
5/3/11 - Recieve a $20 gaming coupon with in-store purchase of Brink at Kmart (link)
8/22/17 - Brink is now free/F2P on Steam?!

Please note that this thread will be continually updated with any news pertaining to Brink. If there are any corrections or omissions, or if you would like to add something to the OP, please let me know.

OTfyY.png

Brink is a class/objective-based First Person Shooter with a focus on agile, parkour-style movement through the environment. It can be played alone, with others against AI, or with human players filling the roles on both sides. Essentially, singleplayer is multiplayer with some light story elements thrown in. Robust character customization is available, and carries across all modes, including single player.

During a game, players will work as a team to complete objectives and fight their way through the game's levels, and if playing the competitive mode, enemies on the opposing team will be made up of real players. Brink features four player classes (detailed below) to create a dynamic, balanced gameplay experience. The game also includes something called The Objective Wheel can be brought up at any time to point you in the right direction, and also notify you of various points of interest as well as secondary objectives. Command Posts are spread through a map, and allow a players to do things such as instantly change class or refill ammo.

Get to know the basics of Brink!

lZdeG.png

Built in the near-future as part of a contemporary green vision, the Ark was a model for sustainable living. The massive man-made floating city became a home to the scientists and thinkers focused on making the vision a reality, while its wealthy patrons built a recreational paradise.
But soon the threat of a global environmental crisis became real: glaciers melted, sea levels rose, and the very survival of humanity was threatened. Thousands from around the globe fled to the Ark as a last hope. Refugees clung to survival however they could, while the original founders and their descendants struggled to maintain the island.
Now, the Ark has lost contact with what remained of the mainland and exists in total isolation. As the Ark's supposedly renewable resources dwindle, the balance of power threatens to unravel and throw competing social factions into a horrific conflict.
With tensions growing, Security and Resistance forces are locked in a heated battle for control of the Ark. Which side will you choose?

rZ1dK.png

SMART (Smooth Movement Across Random Terrain) is a system developed by Splash Damage that allows players to easily navigate their enviroment without the use of complex button inputs or prompts. Players only have to look in the direction they want to move, hold down sprint, and go. SMART will take care of the rest. Please note that use of the SMART system is entirely optional, and so players looking for a more active role in controlling their character can have it.

ZEHbx.png

Brink features four player classes. As you level up, you can further specialize your class, so that no one Medic, for example, will play the same. In order to have a balanced game, no more than three players per team can choose to be the same class. Now, to introduce our classes!

Soldier
Your typical "first to fight" class, the Soldier specializes in frontline action. The class features an explosive called the HE Charge, which is used to destroy objectives. The sopldier can also resupply ammo for other classes, as well as boost the ammo capacity of weapons.

Medic
The Medic can heal himself and teammates, as well as revive downed a downed player by throwing a syringe at them. A leveled-up Medic can also access a self revive ability.

Engineer
The primary support class, the engineer is capable of building and repairing objectives, deploying objects such as turrets, laying landmines, defusing landmines placed by other engineers, and increasing the damage of weapons. They can also build stairs at predetermined points in maps, in order to facilitate movement through alternate areas of a map.

Operative
The Operative can hack enemy turrets and Command Posts, as well as disguise himself as a member of the enemy team.

TqAxd.png

IMAGES (Click for larger)

VIDEOS
Get SMART: The Basics
Get SMART: Objectives
Get SMART: General Gameplay
Brink Gameplay Video - A Matter of Class
Brink - "Container City" Gameplay Developer Walkthrough
Gameplay and character customization
Brink: Get SMART Tutorial Trailer #5 - Classes

NG4fz.png

The DOOM Pack – available at GameStop and GameStop.com

The Fallout Pack – Available at Best Buy and BestBuy.com

The Psycho Pack – Available at Amazon.com and Direct2Drive

The Spec Ops Pack – Available at Walmart, Walmart.com, and Steam

dqR5V.png

Gamesradar - 8/10
Eurogamer - 8/10
Gametrailers - 7.9/10
Destructoid - 7.5/10
IGN - 6/10
1up - D
Joystiq - 2/5
Metacritic

i3S8G.png

Official Splash Damage forums
Brink official site
Brink on Wikipedia
Brink Wikia
Gamepro Brink preview
Gamasutra preview

Q0hXS.png

A modern, AAA game is the product of a large, talented team, so let's give a shoutout to the developers at Splash Damage! (Full developer bios here)

Paul 'Locki' Wedgwood - CEO and Game Director
Arnout 'RR2DO2' van Meer - Technical Director
Richard 'Fluffy_gIMp' Jolly - Media Director

Andrew Quinn - Sound Designer
Angelo 'classact' Dal Pra - Environment Artist
Arne Olav 'ao' Hallingstad - Programmer
Aubrey 'Bezzy' Hesselgren - Technical Game Designer
Ben 'mantegra' Davis - Character Artist
Ben 'Randles' Hopkinson - IT Manager
Boris 'Zobbo' Lowinger - Animator
Chris 'Hauser' Bull - Animator
Chris 'peaceful warrior' Sweetman - Audio Director
Craig 'Madcat' Nelson - Senior IT Analyst
Dann 'SRS-Kap' Yeung - Lead Gameplay Programmer
Dave Fiala - Senior Technical Animator
Dave 'Captain ducks' Johnston - Senior Level Designer
David 'Davros' Edwards - Level Designer
Dean 'Deano' Calver - Lead Programmer
Digby 'SirDigga' Murray - Production Tester
Ed B 'mred' Reid - Online Services Programmer
Edward 'Bongoboy' Stern - Lead Writer
Fabrice 'faaab' Bouvet - Lead Animator
Georgi 'Calader' Simeonov - Concept Artist
Gordon 'digibob' Biggans - Senior Programmer
Griff Jenkins - Head of Production
Jamie 'Fishbus' Manson - Level Designer
Jared 'jRAD' Hefty - Lead Tools Programmer
Jaromir 'pg' Salaj - Artist
Jeremy 'pinflux' Hay - Media Artist
Jiri 'JFK' Kristek - Associate Producer
Joe 'Rex-TheGrunt' Gibson - IT Support Engineer
John 'nifty' Molloy - Game Designer
Jonathan Fletcher - Environment Artist
Jonas 'suctionlord' Nelson - Programmer
Laurel 'Tully' Austin - Senior Concept Artist
Lloyd 'LloydM' Morris - Level Designer
Matt 'Anti' Lowe - Associate Producer
Matt 'Taff' McDaid - Senior Environment Artist
Mikkel 'mig' Gjoel - Programmer
Miroslav 'Draska' Slowik - Level Designer
Neil 'exedore' Alphonso - Lead Game Designer
Oliver 'Kensai' Jauncey - Senior Programmer
Olivier 'nosebone' Leonardi - Art Director
Paul 'MoP' Greveson - Technical Artist
Paul 'digs' Saunders - Senior Designer
Pete 'Dusk777' Loveridge - Production Tester
Phil 'pipster' Barnell - Production Tester
Pierre 'trega' Tregaro - Programmer
Radek 'ElDonaldo' Szczepanczyk - Artist
Rav 'ioli' Channa - HR Manager
Richard 'Rahdo' Ham - Creative Director
Robert 'Mac' Macdonald - UI Programmer
Robert 'woko' Watkins - Lead Environment Artist
Romain Toutain - Renderer Programmer
Ronald 'Conine' Koppers - PlayStation Programmer
Sean 'Poons' Francis - Production Tester
Simon 'Bazee' Price - Audio Programmer
Simon 'Lianshi' Batty - Production Tester
Stephen 'Crispy' Etheridge - Lead Tester
Stephen 'malarky' Gaffney - Studio Director
Steve 'Citrusy' Alves - Production Tester
Steve 'badman' Hessel - Community Relations Manager
Terry 'Salteh' Seidler - Occasional Honourary Intern Associate Producer
Tibor 'iib' Toth - Senior Environment Artist
Tim 'spacemonkey' Appleby - Lead Character Artist
Tim 'Huntle' Rose - Associate Producer
William 'Smooth' Richens - Associate Producer

paoqe.png

Salsa

This would be day fuckin ONE for me if i lived in the US or anywhere near a place where i knew that there'll be servers around. As of now im waiting to see how the netcode handles :(

Also, i wish it was on GamersGate for pre-order (or shortly after) since a friend wants to gift me a game from there and this would be perfect.

geeko

I'm hoping for good reviews. I really want this game to be good, sounds like an fun idea. We shall see.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Cool, I forgot this was out so soon. I'm interested but it's definitely one I'm gonna wait on to see how people react to it.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
If the community survives long enough, I'll definitely play it on PC when I have time. Unfortunately, because it's only online, I have this feeling I'll have to play it sooner rather than later to get any fun out of it.

Day One.

Hyped to get my lightweight medic on. Everything Splash Damage is trying to pull off with this game intrigues me.

Please be good!

D3VI0US

Metal Gear?! said:
Without a demo all I have to go on is the reputation of Quake Wars. Sorry Spash Damage.

Exactly, I want to buy this game but I've played plenty of awful shooters and Quake Wars is among one of the worst for 360. It just felt like a bad PC port but I never played the PC version so that may have been ass too.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Pandoracell said:
There won't be a demo.

Interest killed. Guess I'll pick it up once it's $20-30. :/

Quake Wars wasn't bad, extremely clunky. But it wasn't great either.

I already have six friends ready to buy this game at launch with me.

Can't wait.

I love objective-based FPS games.

Whether it's Invasion or Team Objective in Halo: Reach, or Team Fortress 2 (PC or 360, I play both), I can't get enough.

Brink looks like a great way to get people who are intimidated by that kind of thing into the game. Plus, the SMART system could make for some amazing moments in high-level play. Plus, character customization and...

*BRAIN EXPLODES*

Yeah, can't wait.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Also taking the 'interested, but will wait and see' approach.

I really hope they pull this off though. I'd like a new MP shooter and I dig the colorful, cartoony aesthetic.

Sanic

Regardless of how I feel/felt about QW, ET is my favorite FPS of all time, and I simply have a really good feeling about this. Truly hoping for the best.

Sanic

Cat in the Hat said:
ughhh its a games for windows game? Probably still will get it though, I can't just play TF2 forever.

No, it's Steamworks. Games for Windows does not equal Games for Windows Live.

kuYuri

Cat in the Hat said:
ughhh its a games for windows game? Probably still will get it though, I can't just play TF2 forever.
GFW is just a branding, it uses Steamworks for its online features.

This should be a dream game for me. Objective Class based gameplay developed by my favorite dev team(Wolf ET), amazing character customization which is what I always wanted in an fps. Hell even my Favorite publisher(Bethesda).

But that engine...that hideous, sluggish blasted engine which took every game I loved last gen(Quake 3, Return To Castle Wolfenstein) and completely destroyed this gen(Quake 4, Wolfenstein, ET:QW) I just cannot be optimistic. I have been hurt so much by tech 4 this gen. =(

Part of me wishes they just waited and made it on tech 5 Instead. This will start out as a rental. I can't plunge into this until i know for sure.

I really liked Quake Wars and Enemy Territory: Wolfenstein, so I can't wait to see what Splash Damage delivers with Brink. Really excited to try the movement system and see how deep the character customization is.

ShaneB

I want to love this as it definitely feels like something fresh, but I just can't afford to dip on a Day 1 purchase, and by the time It's a budget title, it might be too late to jump in anyway.

Hope it does well regardless.

I had my eye on this... then Bulletstorm came out and I forgot all about it.

Will wait for impressions before I make a choice. I hope it's fun.

Top Bottom