• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Britain becoming U.S. vassal state, says French presidential hopeful Macron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xando

Britain is becoming subservient to a United States that will be extremely difficult to cooperate with judging by President Donald Trump's "serious and worrying" first acts, French presidential candidate Emmanuel Macron said on Friday.

British Prime Minister Theresa May, who will hold talks with Trump later on Friday, wants a renewal of the "special relationship" between London and Washington at a time her conservative government redraws its relationship with Europe.

"Britain lived in an equilibrium with Europe," Macron told France Culture radio. "But now it is becoming a vassal state, meaning it is becoming the junior partner of the United State."

French opinion polls show Macron, a former investment banker running as an independent in this spring's presidential election, closing in on the two frontrunners, conservative candidate Francois Fillon and far-right leader Marine Le Pen.

Speaking about Trump, May joked on Thursday that "opposites attract" as she signaled a shift in foreign policy that will bring her position more in line with that of Trump.

Macron said Trump's early policy moves suggested the United States might become a destabilizing force on the world stage.

"What's happening today with Trump's first statements and choices is extremely serious and worrying," Macron said. "It's firstly a choice that it will be an America that provokes... an America that destabilizes things that have been built for decades."

Macron has previously said he was sure Trump would maintain close ties with the European Union, but on Friday he appeared to concede this may no longer be the case.

"It signifies that the U.S. will no longer be in a position to co-organize globalization and be the world's policeman with the European Union," the former economy minister said.

"The unpredictable choices, the outbursts and the inward-looking United States of Trump no longer guarantees Europe's security."
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-france-election-macron-britain-idUSKBN15B16A

Special relationship me if old

kmax

Very true.

Right wing groups are tearing countries apart, and America and the U.K are now amongst them.

"It signifies that the U.S. will no longer be in a position to co-organize globalization and be the world's policeman with the European Union," the former economy minister said.
I'm more than ok with that. We shouldn't be th world police when that happens we get into wars we shouldn't be in.

Mung

It's true. Seeing the right wing press blubber over May's sucking up to Trump, and getting an endorphin release everytime 'special relationship' is mentioned is nauseating. All they want is close relations with English speaking countries.

Whompa02

Isolationism is not where the world is going, and if we're against it, then America will not be on top.

It's just a simple ideology that Trump seems to be against for whatever reason.

Palmer_v1

Yeah, the US will definitely need aid against Britain lol

Errr, yeah sorry, I meant the French would provide Britain with support against the US. basically just flip the whole revolutionary war thing around.

I'm trying to think of the most quintessentially American thing they can drump into a harbor to get thnigs rolling.

Tyaren

I have no clue what the current UK government is thinking. If they think they weren't able to assert power and clout within the EU, among equals like Germany and France and many far smaller countries, how in the hell do they think this will work better with the US? A US that puts itself first now, that is erratic and unpredictable.

FreezeSSC

Seems like hes not afraid of standing up to Trump, hope this starts a wave of people voting for elected officials that will stand up to Trump.

I have no clue what the current UK government is thinking. If they think they weren't able to assert power and clout within the EU, among equals like Germany and France and many far smaller countries, how in the hell do they think this will work better with the US? A US that puts itself first now, that is erratic and unpredictable.

The bolded is the problem, they simply aren't thinking. They haven't been since the election. After the stun of not only a conservative win (a hefty one at that), the Lib Dems did some soul searching to cleanse themselves of the coaltion, Labour went into freefall, and the tories had to come to terms with a victory that had "EU Refereundum" front and centre of their banner, all the while UKIP just chuckled in the corner. Ever since then, there has been no agenda, no clear poltical structure in any party, as power just seemed to pass from Cameron to May - a move that showed how spineless Cameron was to watch his party and country unravel based on his own big mouth. Now you've got a no-mark, unelectable, entirely forgettable suck up running the governing party in Britain unelected, who had no more than sad fantasies about 'being the PM' as she sat behind Cameron and nodded like a lapdog these past 6 years, and now she has it, she has nothing more on her agenda other than: "Oh shit, I got the job. What do I do?"

Making a political pariah out of an already (rightfully) disliked nation at every turn, May has seen "bein' 'ard" is the only thing that chimes well with the right-wing press and voters, so she is pushing back at an already negelectful EU, and is finding herself shouting at a group of nations who want little more to do with her. Looks weak, eh?

Enter Putin - sorry, Trump. Two men doing very similar things, one insidiously, one obnoxiously. Allying with the US is easy, a 'promise' (ha!) of an easy trade deal to show Brexit naysayers with a partner who has had Britain's back for the past century, and one that is standing up to the Left-Wing with as much gusto as her voters want. Why wouldn't she ally with a side like that? She's now sitting right back were she was before Cameron left; nodding, like a dog, behind a big mouthed facist. Except now, she has a nicer house.

He's not wrong. The Tories that have weaseled their way in post-referendum are a spineless gang of utter wretches. It's telling that one of the few frontbenchers that didn't get the boot was Jeremy fucking Hunt.

Lkr

Errr, yeah sorry, I meant the French would provide Britain with support against the US. basically just flip the whole revolutionary war thing around.

I'm trying to think of the most quintessentially American thing they can drump into a harbor to get thnigs rolling.
Guns or aborted fetuses. You'll fire the right wing up in no time

LoveCake

It as always been like this really, the thing is though there are not many countries that are so close as the UK and USA, the tide will ebb and flow of course, but it has been going on for a very long time now and it will continue to long into the future.

I don't think much of the 'special relationship' myself it has been pivoted too much towards the USA.

I'm trying to think of the most quintessentially American thing they can dump into a harbor to get thnigs rolling.

Royales with cheese.

tuxfool

Banned
Remember when Blair was Bush's lapdog? Good times. Theresa May is something similar that would be too nasty to type.

It's nice to see Macron saying this, when you consider Le Pen is literally on Putin's payroll, and Fillon is a huge Putin apologist. I'm not a huge fan of everything he says or stands for, but I'll take him over the other two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom