• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT6| Dark Souls? More like Arse Holes

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Still on a boat en route to brittany

Why is the free Wi-Fi so shocking. I can't believe how much I rely on the internet for streaming entertainment. I haven't bought a DVD or digi-film in yonks.

Also next time I do this I am shelling out for a cabin holy hell

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Thanks dudes.

Trying to actually reach out for help this time to fix my head. Turns out I've only been diagnosed once and that was in 2001 with an acute polymorphic psychotic disorder. So I don't know how I ended up on the medication I'm on now. I'm not on the ward but going back to hospital tonight. I just can't handle my emotions, I get overloaded and then sort of freak out which is why I tried to kill myself last week and was gonna do it yesterday. Fingers crossed I actually get some help this time, the crisis shelter is taking forever. It's no way to live this, every 6 months or so my brain just seems to explode and I end up pretty much incapacitated.

Seems like I shouldn't be complaining and all that and I always feel like a fake but I guess it's getting worse now and I'm just fed up of being up and down all the time. I have no control over myself even though I keep trying.

7aged

Sploatee,

Hope you get the care you need. Wish you all the best. Hang in there.

---

In the opposite direction. Can Bob Crowe and the underground drivers please piss off.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Thanks guys. You can expect typical blog posts as things develop.

First time I went to the midlands was when I first heard of the bread sandwich. This just seems the logical, northern extension of that. We need a new Hadrian's wall keeping these... people out.

What's a bread sandwich?! Bread in bread?!

First time I went to the midlands was when I first heard of the bread sandwich. This just seems the logical, northern extension of that. We need a new Hadrian's wall keeping these... people out.
i will gladly start on this. i can be your inside man, building outwards. we'll clense the motherland of this northern menace. england for the (southern) english!

Mikeside

Thanks dudes.

Trying to actually reach out for help this time to fix my head. Turns out I've only been diagnosed once and that was in 2001 with an acute polymorphic psychotic disorder. So I don't know how I ended up on the medication I'm on now. I'm not on the ward but going back to hospital tonight. I just can't handle my emotions, I get overloaded and then sort of freak out which is why I tried to kill myself last week and was gonna do it yesterday. Fingers crossed I actually get some help this time, the crisis shelter is taking forever. It's no way to live this, every 6 months or so my brain just seems to explode and I end up pretty much incapacitated.

Seems like I shouldn't be complaining and all that and I always feel like a fake but I guess it's getting worse now and I'm just fed up of being up and down all the time. I have no control over myself even though I keep trying.

Sploats :(

give me a holler if you need me - you've got my digits

be well

8bit

Knows the Score

Sit down. Are you ready for this?

Sure?

Toast Sandwiches.

Bet you didn't expect that, huh?

@sploatee, I hope you find the help you need. Just keep on being who you are.

Toast Sandwiches.

They have their own Wikipedia page and are considered a "meal." God knows what state your life must be in if that's what you're eating as a meal.

Sometimes I find myself tempted to make one just to see what it's like, but then I remember that it would be disgusting and so I don't.

NinjaBoiX

Massive Attack - Better Things

"You say the magic's gone well I'm not a magician,
You say the spark's gone well get an electrician,
And save your line about needing to be free,
Ah, that's bullshit babe you just want rid of me,"

That bassline, those vocals, top tier Massive Attack right there. Maybe my favourite track from Protection.

NinjaBoiX

lol, Protection came up on the intros round for the pub quiz last week. Nobody else on my team had any idea what it was, it was a sad day...

Also, agreed on Horace Andy, I think he has an awful voice, most of his tracks are my least favourite. Female vocals all the way, it just suits their music so much more.

Best track, goosebumps every time:

Massive Attack - Paradise Circus
- it's, like, painfully good. I don't think they'll ever leave my top 5 bands list, Mezzanine is just too important to me as a body of music, it's almost perfect. In the interests of full disclosure:

Mezzanine > Heligoland > Protection > 100th Window > Blue Lines

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Just got back from the French gig on a "weed farm". Apparently, "weed farm" is French for "family camping site". Very strange gig. Very strange indeed.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Yeah, but probably not for the poor parents and children who came for a spot of dinner in the idyllic French countryside.

How you doing?

Hahaha. Deliver them the noise! Ps PM your email address!

I'm alrightish. Shed loads of therapy and support groups and working through about 20 odd years of horror and issues and such. It's tough going but I think it's helping. I hope it's helping. I am one messed up human being!

Ps. I've now gotten to the stage in Bloodborne where I'm mopping up before a NG+ and reading all the lore (there's an AMAZING 90 page dissertation on it out on the web) and it's getting better and better. I'm not sure whether it's quite as good as Dark Souls because that was my first souls but it's incredible and the lore is amazing - genuinely amazing. It makes me want to start reading Lovecraft again. I've got a feeling that it's going to be even better on second and third playthroughs. I can't believe the amount of work that's gone into creating a massive and deep world and story that has so much ambiguity and nuance.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Hahaha. Deliver them the noise! Ps PM your email address!

I'm alrightish. Shed loads of therapy and support groups and working through about 20 odd years of horror and issues and such. It's tough going but I think it's helping. I hope it's helping. I am one messed up human being!

Sounds like you're on the right track. I hope it helps. We're all rooting for you!

Also: stop talking about Bloodbourne! I'm jealous!

SuperSah

Banned
Hey BritGAF, I don't post here much and I know you all hate my random appearences, but hope you are all doing well!

I find out Thursday on results whether I made it into the Uni of York, and the stress is incredible because tomorrow night will be an all-nighter of stress and waiting for a UCAS update. I would absolutely appreciate it if you guys wish me the best of luck!

Take care as usual guys.

Skele7on

Banned
Hey BritGAF, I don't post here much and I know you all hate my random appearences, but hope you are all doing well!

I find out Thursday on results whether I made it into the Uni of York, and the stress is incredible because tomorrow night will be an all-nighter of stress and waiting for a UCAS update. I would absolutely appreciate it if you guys wish me the best of luck!

Take care as usual guys.

good luck, god speed.

The_Poet

Banned

Take care as usual guys.

Such a young'un.

I never understood getting stressed waiting for results, its out of your control now.

Good luck though

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Yeah, the stress will happen after the results come out depending on what they were. For example in my case UCAS only released two of my four results meaning I had to spend the day chasing up the unis I applied for and UCAS to find out what was going on (also marks one of the only times I ever had to send a fax).

Silver lining ending: I took advantage of my clearing number (which was granted to me as a result of said cock up) and went to a better uni than the one I should have gone to.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Good luck Sah!

What's happening britgaf?

Anyone seen AI? First time I cried but hated the film. Second time I thought it was interesting but flawed. Just seen it again and really enjoyed it. I think the tone of the final 20 mins is slightly off but the more you think about it, the more pessimistic and cold a film it is and I like that :)

The_Poet

Banned
Good luck Sah!

What's happening britgaf?

Anyone seen AI? First time I cried but hated the film. Second time I thought it was interesting but flawed. Just seen it again and really enjoyed it. I think the tone of the final 20 mins is slightly off but the more you think about it, the more pessimistic and cold a film it is and I like that :)

I quite like the film too. It's all over the place but hits on some good questions and builds a great sci-fi world.

Son Of D

AI is a weird film. Whilst I didn't hate it I would have liked to have seen the Kubrick version. Seeing his take on a fairy tale would have been interesting. Should watch it again someday, it's not so fresh in my head.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
AI is a weird film. Whilst I didn't hate it I would have liked to have seen the Kubrick version. Seeing his take on a fairy tale would have been interesting. Should watch it again someday, it's not so fresh in my head.
Ehhh, I believe Kubrick initially offered Spielberg to direct it, stating that the premise was closer to Senior Spielbergo's, but he would only go on to direct it after Kubrick's death.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Ehhh, I believe Kubrick initially offered Spielberg to direct it, stating that the premise was closer to Senior Spielbergo's, but he would only go on to direct it after Kubrick's death.

Not initially. Spielberg was on board as a producer originally until it all fell apart. After JP and the massive advances in SFX it brought, Kubrick suggested he produce and Spielberg direct instead.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Not initially. Spielberg was on board as a producer originally until it all fell apart. After JP and the massive advances in SFX it brought, Kubrick suggested he produce and Spielberg direct instead.

Yeah. As far as I know the story (including the ending) was all already approved by Stanley. I'm not sure he would've used quite as much soft focus or music but I think the essence would've stayed the same.

I actually really like late period Spielberg. Minority Report, AI, war of the worlds, even Munich (which I think is really misunderstood as Israeli flag waving simply because Spielberg is Jewish). They're all quite bleak and beautifully shot.

I always found AI somewhat disturbing.

I was only about 10 or 11 when it came out and that Robot Death Circus thing gave me nightmares. The themes of abandonment and disappointment were also a real downer and the world outside the home seemed really dark and perverse.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I always found AI somewhat disturbing.

I was only about 10 or 11 when it came out and that Robot Death Circus thing gave me nightmares. The themes of abandonment and disappointment were also a real downer and the world outside the home seemed really dark and perverse.

Yeah. For me it was figuring out what the ending was all about. I'll spoiler it just in case
i originally thought it was happy - the aliens come and make him reunite with his mum and everybody cries because we all love our mums and don't want them to leave us. But then I figured out what all the smart people figured out ages ago, which is that all that's happened is that humanity has wiped itself out with all of its venality and intolerance and now emotionless robots have taken over, and because David has this synthetic, programmed love for his mother he decides to basically erase her from existence forever just so he can satisfy his programming. It's a horrible view of humanity. there's an amazing visual conparison on YouTube which shows how all the way through the film plays on showing humans to be much closer the o tha androids than we think. It's a really amazing film. I can see why Mark Kermode thinks it's his best.

Also not bad subtext and themes for a Hollywood film! Late Spielberg is just great!

War of the worlds is basically humanity is fucked and is nothing compared to nature.

Munich is basically the Middle East is fucked (and has an amazing closing shot) and 9/11 is everyone's fault.

Minority report is just eww for most of it although has a bit of a happier ending. Still loads of creepy bits though (eyes! Brain dead! Drugs! Abuse!).

I'm obviously not including the typical Spielberg films that happened around the same time but even his earlier films all seemed to have optimistic conclusions.

Qasiel

War of the worlds is basically humanity is fucked and is nothing compared to nature.

My avatar says hello and that the Spielberg adaptation was pretty lacklustre compared to Jeff Wayne's 1978 Musical album.
War of the Worlds is a great story but I felt that film was absolute trash. Sorry Sploat.

Top Bottom