• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT6| Dark Souls? More like Arse Holes

12-hour shifts. Usually pass the time looking shit up on the Internet, reading a book, playing a game or painting 40k miniatures. And drinking terrible vending machine coffee.

Sorry, I mean commuting, I fixed my post, but, now that you mention it, I guess you do some kind of guard? 12hs straight sounds insane D:

I'm 8-9hs in front of the computer, but some days I don't even have time to check emails.. =(.

NinjaBoiX

About 5 mins, our kitchen is literally just down the road.

I usually go in for a couple of hours early in the morning, come home mid/late morning, do some paperwork, go to any meetings I have booked, then go back to the kitchen about 3:30 to pick up deliveries.

My working day is usually around 6:30 until about 4-5pm, occasionally with some extra paperwork to do of an evening. It's probably a 50-60 hour week but running a fledgling business means putting in the hours!

Hopefully in the next few years we're big enough that I can take a step back and do something else part time while the business pretty much runs itself.

(I run a bar snack business with my brother, graft man...)

I finally got a PS4. Feel free to add me, BritGAF (ID is Dangerblade)

Up for games of WipEout Omega Collection, Tekken 7 and Rocket League (when I improve!)

spuckthew

How much time do you guys have to commute to work? and how do you bear it?

edit: sorry, I mean commuting.

Mornings are a breeze as it's just a 25-30 minute drive without traffic (I leave at about 7.15am for an 8am start), but evenings can take anywhere between 30-60 minutes because everyone and their nan are seemingly driving home at 5pm.

About a 25 minute walk for me. Ideal. Some people spend hours on a train...I couldn't handle it.

This is my goal for my next job: an easy, walkable commute. I'd also be ok with a short journey on the Tube (20 min max) with a short walk either side.

I've done 50-70 minute drives and long train journeys, and it's just not fun. I actually value my free time and the last thing I want to be doing is wasting it by having to commute for hours per day.

I've done 50-70 minute drives and long train journeys, and it's just not fun. I actually value my free time and the last thing I want to be doing is wasting it by having to commute for hours per day.

That's why I asked, I was offer a job, and it's 35 min on the train (thameslink) + 10min walk on each side. It's the only let down, but I think I'm going to take it, I like the company, and my rent contract ends in ~4 months, so maybe I can move closer if necessary.

Right now I have 20min on bike, or 35 by bus.

Qasiel

Sorry, I mean commuting, I fixed my post, but, now that you mention it, I guess you do some kind of guard? 12hs straight sounds insane D:

I'm 8-9hs in front of the computer, but some days I don't even have time to check emails.. =(.

Ah, commuting. Mine's not too bad as I cycle into work these days and it takes me about 30/35 minutes through some nice areas and along the Thames to get in. Podcast on the go and I'm a happy man.

As for the job, I work in a data centre that's manned 24/7. On the night shifts we're mostly there to make sure the place doesn't burn down, but most of the time we're checking devices, processing accesses for engineers (we've got a few government contracts, so security clearance checks are a must) and a few other general dogsbody jobs. It's amazing how 12 hours flies by when there's actually something to do there. And how much it drags when there isn't.

I've got a dead easy commute, 10 minute walk to the shared office I use. I'm typically late. Thankfully, no-one knows, so as long as I don't write it anywhere HAHAHAHAHA.

My partner has the flipside - 1hr 15 train, then a 10 minute walk. Definitely the short straw. The good thing for her is that it's all one train, no changes, so she can sit and read a book, listen to a podcast, crochet. We're also near the station so it's nice and manageable. Having things like that make the difference for her - it's a nice bit of time to yourself to do something like that if you can. Particularly if you read, apparently.

I did the same commute, but times of day made it a bit more difficult. So now I don't, mwahah.

8bit

Knows the Score
I'm 20 minutes by bus or tram to one of our satellite sites, clock in and then 20 minutes by shuttle bus to main campus. I'm already officially working at this point even if I'm just sorting my US email. I think an hour is about as much as I could tolerate twice daily.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
almost two hours each way for me - one hour train into london, 30 minute walk to the office (can get the tube to save 10 mins but the exercise and fresh air is better for me), plus getting to the station and parking the car etc.

'luckily' I'm at a terminus so I can always get a seat on the way in the morning, and usually get a seat at Waterloo on the way back.

How much time do you guys have to commute to work? and how do you bear it?

edit: sorry, I mean commuting.

Less than an hour door to door. 10 min cycle to the train station, 20 min train into Kings Cross, walk over to St Pancras, 7 min Thameslink to City, 5 min walk to office. It's a breeze, usually get a seat, trains are always working and on time. I prefer my commute now to my old one, which although was shorter was half an hour on the central line, eww.

That's why I asked, I was offer a job, and it's 35 min on the train (thameslink) + 10min walk on each side. It's the only let down, but I think I'm going to take it, I like the company, and my rent contract ends in ~4 months, so maybe I can move closer if necessary.

Right now I have 20min on bike, or 35 by bus.

I think anything under an hour in London is acceptable, and Thameslink is a pretty good line, nice trains, usually on time.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
yo has anyone talked to Kentpaul in the last two years? Noticed his last activity was May 2015 and wanted to make sure he didn't end up dead or in jail

Just looked up this page to see me being smug about my commute. And now let's ruin it.

Let's say, theoretically, I were moving to London, as my partner may have been offered a job there. It's proper central London (near Oxford Circus), so basically, we can live anywhere that has transport links really. A bit of a commute is no problem.

So - the initial question is - I know that where people live in London depends on money and what you can get for it, but... how do you even start figuring out where to look? Like, in initial conversations, some people have asked 'oh so north, south, east, west, any preference'? Not a clue, and not a clue where to start.

Any vague, sarcastic or useful tips would be awesome on how to start to narrow down the search from 'anywhere you can get to central London to on a daily basis' to 'actually look in these places as they're friendly and not horrible'.

Jezbollah

I think if I was in your position Jonathan I'd be looking at those links and working the way out. For Oxford Circus, you have a lot of options thanks to Bakerloo, Central or Victoria lines.. Jubilee from Bond Street gives you options around Canary Wharf, where I know there are a lot of residential developments. I think around zone 4 you get in the realm of being vaguely affordable. Then get your list of options of areas based on that then ask :)

Just looked up this page to see me being smug about my commute. And now let's ruin it.

Let's say, theoretically, I were moving to London, as my partner may have been offered a job there. It's proper central London (near Oxford Circus), so basically, we can live anywhere that has transport links really. A bit of a commute is no problem.

So - the initial question is - I know that where people live in London depends on money and what you can get for it, but... how do you even start figuring out where to look? Like, in initial conversations, some people have asked 'oh so north, south, east, west, any preference'? Not a clue, and not a clue where to start.

Any vague, sarcastic or useful tips would be awesome on how to start to narrow down the search from 'anywhere you can get to central London to on a daily basis' to 'actually look in these places as they're friendly and not horrible'.

Don't go South of the river, transport links are shit.

I used to live in Woodford which is on the east end of the central line, anywhere around there is alright. Leyton is also alright. North London is cool too, but I'm not as familiar with it.

Thanks both - definitely good places to start.

I have heard the thing that if someone is south of the river, they're dead to the world, so good to have that reaffirmed.

spuckthew

I have heard the thing that if someone is south of the river, they're dead to the world, so good to have that reaffirmed.

It's not that bad lol. I live in New Malden, roughly a 10 minute walk from the station, so I can get into Central London (via Waterloo) and some of the western parts of London (changing to the District line at Wimbledon, which is only 5 minutes from New Malden) pretty easily.

If you live somewhere south with good connections then it's fine; the only real bummer being that you sometimes don't feel like you're really 'in' London because stuff isn't just on your doorstep. North of the river, even as far out as Z4 like New Malden is in the south, there are probably places where you can just hop on a tube and be in Soho in like 15-20 minutes.

But all that said, if I were looking to move now I'd aim for north of the river. No idea how house prices/rent compares between the two regions though.

Qasiel

Too much hate for South London in here. Granted, there's not as many decent transport links as north of the river (although Crossrail will help tremendously once completed) but it's not as if we're a bunch of backward yokels afraid of the city because "it's a bit far". I live in SE London and it takes me 30 minutes to cycle to Canary Wharf to work. It takes me 40 minutes to get to central on a train and that's because I choose to walk to a train station. Given the fact that rent/house prices are vastly different in both areas I'm quite happy where I am; there's no way I'd have been able to afford a 3-bedroom house with a large garden in North London but that's what I did in south.

It's 3 years old now, but this infographic is still pretty good and it shows the dichotomy of the areas: Time Out Infographic

If it's any consolation for my earlier remarks, my sister lives in SE London and is current now messaging me on a loop to tell me to move there.

(And by dead to the world, I more meant that people from North seem to say 'nope, that's too far' when invited to something south :p)

Well, I finally found the BritGAF thread on my 2nd attempt (after improperly ending up in the Brexit thread). Hopefully you can excuse a lost and confused citizen of this newfangled "New England" - we drive on the other side of the road after all, so it could have been a worse accident.

Anyway, over here in the US it's hard to get much in the way of proper British cuisine. Lacking that, I decided to do the next (or next, next, next, next, next) best thing and import some Nando's Peri Peri sauce - a 4-pack of Medium/Hot/Extra Hot and Lemon & Herb ('Erb, Herb, something).

However, the problem is, after trying each of them... I'm not feeling particularly "cheeky." It was my impression that this was supposed to accompany Nando's. Did they perhaps remove this at customs? Lost in translation? Depreciated in conversion? etc. Or perhaps I'm just not "doing it right"?

Little help here?

I mean Nandos is Portuguese or South African (I can never remember which) so it's not really a taste of Britain anyway. Maybe try a fish and chip shop for that. Does the US have many of those?

I mean Nandos is Portuguese or South African (I can never remember which) so it's not really a taste of Britain anyway. Maybe try a fish and chip shop for that. Does the US have many of those?

Oh, I know, I'm just being... well, I'm being cheeky.

Seriously though, I know it's not representative of the taste of you fine folks over there. On the other hand, I'm never going to touch a Lancashire hotpot. Yorkshire puddings might happen, I don't know.
We don't have a chippy over around me I don't think, and frankly I'm not too keen on either fish or chips anyway. British food, apparently, isn't bland enough for me.

SKINNER!

Banned
Well, I finally found the BritGAF thread on my 2nd attempt (after improperly ending up in the Brexit thread).

Sadly you missed peak Britgaf between 2012 and 2014. OT2 and OT5. The days when your lord and saviour KentPaul roamed among us before he was taken away. When legal highs, Kid Cudi and ketamine fueled the conversations. When our fallen comrade JTourettes was banished.When a certain duck would accuse this place of being a clique congregation. When a certain gentleman came to the thread a lost man after a failed relationship only to now blossom into a married man with a beautiful wife and life ahead of him. Truly deserved considering he's one of the greatest human beings I've ever met. When Scotland gaf and England gaf held hands and sang songs of the good times. *takes out smoking pipe and sits on rocking chair* Thooooooose were the days.

Just like this country post Brexit, this OT just hasn't recovered to its past glory since that referendum (for me anyway). We resorted to discussing matters in other realms.

Anyway, over here in the US it's hard to get much in the way of proper British cuisine.

Consider yourself lucky.

JoeNut

Morning folks, I never really posted in the community but hope to see not too many Brits got caught up in all this crazy business

My first time posting in BritGAF since I finally noticed that OT community exists! Do I even qualify as a Channel Islander? :) Posting from sunny Jersey here.

I don't post on britgaf, but maybe I should start. Subbed to the thread. I'm glad this place stuff exists over all the drama over the last few days.

To introduce myself, I'm a games user researcher working out of Brighton. We're credited on a few titles like FIFA and Little Nightmares, though much of my work is NDAed and uncredited.

Jerry

I don't post on britgaf, but maybe I should start. Subbed to the thread. I'm glad this place stuff exists over all the drama over the last few days.

To introduce myself, I'm a games user researcher working out of Brighton. We're credited on a few titles like FIFA and Little Nightmares, though much of my work is NDAed and uncredited.

Can you confirm to what extent FIFA is scripted?

I uninstalled the game last week because its just infuriating to be at the mercy of the game whether you win or lose. One game all my players have the touch of mother teresa herself, the next they have the touch of jimmy savile.

All I want is a consistent playing field where the differences come from the player stats/formations and not some bullshit AI.

Top Bottom