• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

British Law; Right to 30-day refund becomes law today 1st Oct (includes games)

Lagamorph

it is not all gravy, after one month if you console goes faulty the company no longer has to replace or refund, they are now legally allowed to repair it first
That has always been the case anyway. The decision of repair/replace/refund has always been with the retailer, not the consumer.
The 'right to demand a refund as soon as something goes wrong' is an urban myth.

Not in the least. People that think that haven't worked with the consumer. The consumer is typically Homer Simpson.

This is going to be abused by many.

Here they come folks. The Corporation defenders.

Whenever a poor Corp is being downtrodden by consumer rights. Wherever a Corp is being made accountable for its actions by governments. Whenever profits are being trampled on in the name of health and safety and fairness. There will be the Corporation Defenders. In the name of the Stockholders, the CEO, and the Holy Profit, ooooooour rights be damned.

Tak3n

Banned
Seems like a dead law to me in terms of gaming. I don't see how it can be sensibly applied...

it requires you to be stead fast, for example lets take BF4, you take your game back to Game and they refuse, citing not their problem, you explain your consumer rights, they still refuse, you then have to take them to the ombudsman...

The situation we have now is far to many people would rather play the game (faults and all) than give it back and take it further...

that wont change

Retailers will do their very best to bounce people off when they cite this law. Expect to have entire watch dogs devoted to companies that refuse to comply.

Tak3n

Banned
That has always been the case anyway. The decision of repair/replace/refund has always been with the retailer, not the consumer.
The 'right to demand a refund as soon as something goes wrong' is an urban myth.

well it looks like we mis-read it and now the decision lies with the consumer, you have now have a right to refuse that repair/replacement and get a refund

Consumers have the right to reject unsatisfactory/non-conforming goods within 30 days and receive a full refund.
If there is a fault after the 30 day rejection window, the consumer can have a repair/replacement. The business has one opportunity to provide a conforming product.
Where a consumer prefers a repair/replacement, the time limit for a right to refund is paused until the goods are returned. If the item still doesn’t conform to the contract upon return, then the consumer’s right to reject is extended by a minimum of 7 days.
If a repair/replacement is impossible/defective or not completed within a reasonable time, the consumer has a final right to reject or a reduction in price.
The ‘cooling off’ period (under the Consumer Contracts Regulations 2013) for consumers to change their mind when purchasing goods at a distance is extended from 7 to 14 days.

Z3M0G

This sounds insane... i could see this doing far far more harm than good. People WILL abuse it. Dealing with cases on a one-by-one basis could be a nightmare.

Bold One

It seems like a really great in theory, but in practice it will reveal gamer's true nature as exploitative and opportunistic...or maybe that's just human nature, long story short, this is ripe for abuse

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
This sounds insane... i could see this doing far far more harm than good. People WILL abuse it. Dealing with cases on a one-by-one basis could be a nightmare.

Ikea allows you to return any furniture bought even after years and get the full price back. They've been doing so for over a year now. Abuse with such offers is minimal, now it's obviously easier to return a game instead of tearing down furniture but most people simply won't use their right.

redcrayon

The number of people who try to abuse it will be tiny compared to the majority of customers currently at the mercy of retailers abusing local consumer law because of distance or digital selling instead. Let's see how it works out.

Yagharek

So I could claim a refund on MGSV because it didn't ship with the Online? Or because of the dodgy FOB servers?

While this is great in theory, it will be open to abuse unfortunately.

I would argue the "abuse" (poor term) is on the part of konami for using bad servers rather than on people who choose to return a game that in part has missing functionality.

IvorB

This is great. Consumer protections are already pretty strong in the UK so I welcome this additional measure.

DryvBy

Here they come folks. The Corporation defenders.

Whenever a poor Corp is being downtrodden by consumer rights. Wherever a Corp is being made accountable for its actions by governments. Whenever profits are being trampled on in the name of health and safety and fairness. There will be the Corporation Defenders. In the name of the Stockholders, the CEO, and the Holy Profit, ooooooour rights be damned.

Lol. Not a corporation defender at all and you should probably look up what a non sequitur is.

There was a time when games, even in the horrible United States of America, were able to be returned. There's a reason it stopped. People abused it.

I'm perfectly fine with returning games. But the general consumer is a bunch of bumbling Homer Simpsons and trying to "get theirs" over a company. Work a few years in customer service, son. You'll understand why customer service sucks these days.

Ah, so this is why Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5 came out yesterday.

This law was actually rushed through in time for Tony Hawk, it even went to the House of Lords, where they made the 'Tony Hawk' ammendment, where every buyer of this game will automatically get a refund.

Why doesn't stuff like this exist in the US?

After doing some research on the US by watching Fox News I think its something to do with either Freedom, Immigrants or Jesus.

IvorB

This law was actually rushed through in time for Tony Hawk, it even went to the House of Lords where they made the 'Tony Hawk' ammendment, where every buyer of this game will automatically get a refund.

"Good heavens! I say, this Tony Hawk business hey? Beastly stuff..."

moggio

Banned
Lol. Not a corporation defender at all and you should probably look up what a non sequitur is.

There was a time when games, even in the horrible United States of America, were able to be returned. There's a reason it stopped. People abused it.

I'm perfectly fine with returning games. But the general consumer is a bunch of bumbling Homer Simpsons and trying to "get theirs" over a company. Work a few years in customer service, son. You'll understand why customer service sucks these days.

So you're not a Corporate Defender you're just bitter and aggrieved?

Cry me a river.

Anyway this is great news for consumers!

How will it be a nightmare? You take something back to get a refund. You get a refund.

So I could claim a refund on MGSV because it didn't ship with the Online? Or because of the dodgy FOB servers?

Sure. Why not? Who cares?

foxdvd

If I lived in the UK, I would have taken advantage of my launch copy of the Master Chief collection. This is an amazing law, and while abuse will happen, the overall impact is better for everyone.

Also, I think you might see a delayed launch in the UK on games. If a company releases a buggy digital game, and they are forced to refund a large group of UK gamers, the next game they launch will be better, or they will stagger the launch so it hits the UK a few weeks or even months later so they can work out any bugs.

Eiji

If I lived in the UK, I would have taken advantage of my launch copy of the Master Chief collection. This is an amazing law, and while abuse will happen, the overall impact is better for everyone.

Also, I think you might see a delayed launch in the UK on games. If a company releases a buggy digital game, and they are forced to refund a large group of UK gamers, the next game they launch will be better, or they will stagger the launch so it hits the UK a few weeks or even months later so they can work out any bugs.

Just like the good old "PAL 50Hz games with borders 17% slower 9 months later than US release lol" days.

DrXym

What would be really nice is consumer law said people had the right to legally sell, loan or transfer licenses for all forms of consumable media. Which should at least include books, video and audio but possibly software too.

Spaghetti

i don't see why people say this will be abused or cause difficulty for businesses

i've seen enough people say the food/service in restaurants is "fine" to the server when they completely think the opposite

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Problem with that is that there are tons of consumers out there who will try to abuse the hell out of a system. It's something encountered almost every other day for those who are working in retail (based on past experience).

No there isn't like there's seriously barely any outside of anecdotal evidence, and it's well research by companies. That's why "if your not happy 100% money back guarantee" is a marketing tactic. Because barely fucking anyone actually makes use of it even if it's to their benefit.

Walpurgis

Banned
I wish we had this kind of stuff in Canada. EU seems way more pro-consumer. Meanwhile, our government is signing away our rights this week with the TPP.

kyser73

The Withcher 3 is an interesting example.

Many people on here and elsewhere claim the framerate issues render the game unplayable. Many others do not.

If a game has a primary SP campaign and a conpromised MP, or a single part of that MP doesn't work perfectly to the consumer's expectations (e,g. Framerate in 64-player Conquest in BF4), are there grounds for refund?

I assume there's a quango associated with this because games are far more complex items than most consumer goods and 'faulty' can be a deeply subjective opinion in relation to gaming.

Good law tho, and it needed to be passed.

Yeoman

I wonder if this will have an impact on how eager publishers are to release games that clearly haven't been tested properly.

Decado

Sounds like the UK is babying its resident. This will cause far more problems than it solves and could hurt te economy.

Or it won't make a damn difference. We'll see.

lyrick

So how often does a service like Cable/Satellite TV, Netflix, PSN or Xbox Live have to be unavailable to be declared "Broken"?

Consumer rights are always a good thing and it's shocking so many don't see that.

Less broken games will hopefully be the result of this. Hopefully other countries follow our lead too.

So you're not a Corporate Defender you're just bitter and aggrieved?

Cry me a river.

Anyway this is great news for consumers!

How will it be a nightmare? You take something back to get a refund. You get a refund.

Sure. Why not? Who cares?

i sincerely hope you run your own business one day.

maybe then you'll learn some sense.

edit: not a corporate defender, but also not an entitled consumer - i believe both parties have rights and we should proceed reasonably when situations yielding returns are encountered.

ps3ud0

LOL at all the people that think this will be abused - we've had decent consumer protection for decades now for goods and services, and in effective this new law just brings up the existence of digital goods to a similar (if not in a few areas better) standard. Ultimately publishers of faulty games will have to take notice and thats a good thing all round.

How can having better consumer protection be even considered a bad idea :p

ps3ud0 8)

chekhonte

It's a shame that this will never ever become a law in the states. Companies don't even have to honor a warranty if you didn't buy from a store that they approve of.

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
Sounds like the UK is babying its resident. This will cause far more problems than it solves and could hurt te economy.

Or it won't make a damn difference. We'll see.

oPi0YTu.gif

Top Bottom