• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Broken Age |OT| A Double Fine Adventure! [iPad/Ouya Act One out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vert boil

logo39p6m.jpg

802usq9.png
Kickstarter Pitch || Teaser Trailer || Casting Reveal Trailer #1, #2, Gus, Shay || Vella Trailer || Launch Trailer

The game will be release in two parts. The first Act was released in January 2014 and the second Act is due sometime in 2014. There will be no extra charge for backers or people that buy Act One to gain access to Act Two.

Developer: Double Fine Productions
Publisher:
Act One
Release Date: January 14th (Backer beta. PC/Mac/Linux, steam only.)
92mjs6y.png
January 28th (PC/Mac/Linux)
92mjs6y.png
February 12th (DRM-free release. PC/Mac/Linux, check your humble bundle page.)
92mjs6y.png
May 30th (Ouya)
92mjs6y.png
June 12th (iPad)
92mjs6y.png
TBA (Android)
Act Two
Release Date: TBA (PC/Mac/Linux)
92mjs6y.png
TBA (Android/iOS)
92mjs6y.png
TBA (Ouya)
Formats: Android, iOS, Linux, Mac, Ouya, PC.
Price: 25$

Broken Age is a point-and-click adventure telling the stories of a young boy and girl leading parallel lives. The girl has been chosen by her village to be sacrificed to a terrible monster--but she decides to fight back. Meanwhile, a boy on a spaceship is living a solitary life under the care of a motherly computer, but he wants to break free to lead adventures and do good in the world. Adventures ensue.

Origins (More thorough write up can be read on Wikipedia)
The project was conceived after 2 Player productions interviewed Tim Schafer for the crowd-funded Minecraft documentary. The two groups agreed to run a crowd-funding campaign so that 2 Player Productions could create a more in-depth documentary and Double Fine could make a small adventure game based on Nathan "Bagel" Stapley's artistic style.
The campaign, originally only asking for 400,000$ was a huge success that ended at 3,336,371$ pledged from 87,142 backers. Additional funds were also taken from Individuals donating large amounts and a slacker backer program.
Due to the amount raised, the scope of the game grew from the initial idea to a much large game on the scale of older adventure games. As production progressed it became clear that the funds raised weren't going to be enough to cover the full development of the embiggened game so a decision was made to release the game in two parts. The money earned from the early sale of the game would be used to fully fund the extra development time needed finish the game.

Gameplay
Broken Age is a classic point and click adventure game. The game features fully voiced character, dialog trees and an inventory system.

PC/Mac/Linux: Click, click, click, click, click, chuckle
Android/iOS: Tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, laugh

Cast
Alex - Alex Rigopulos
Car'l - Catherine Cavadini
Ch't - Hynden Walch
Curtis - Wil Wheaton
Dead Eye Courtney - Nicki Rapp
Dead Eye Dawn - Ginny Westcott
Gus - Pendleton Ward
Harm'ny Lightbeard - Jack Black
Levina - Grey DeLisle
Marek - David Kaufman
Marchall Dune - Nick Jameson
Mom - Jennifer Hale
Rocky - Kristen Sarkisian
Rommel - Jamieson Price
Shay - Elijah Wood
Spoon - John Cygan
Teledoor - Cree Summer
The Space Weaver - Richard Horvitz
Vella - Masasa Moyo
Yarn Pal #2 - Kate Higgins

1arkipa.png
1c24d60.png

3as7e4y.png
3cmcdl1.png

802usq9.png
Kickstarter Pitch || Teaser Trailer || Casting Reveal Trailer #1, #2, Gus, Shay || Vella Trailer || Launch Trailer

Additional Info,

The documentary produced by 2 Player Productions, previously only available to kickstarter backers can now be bought from the Broken Age site for 10$.

Reviews
Act One,
Destructoid - 9.5/10
Edge - 8/10
EGM - 8.5/10
Eurogamer - 7/10
Game Front - 70/100
Game Informer - 8.5/10
Gamespot - 7/10
GamesRadar - 4/5
GamesTM - 8/10
GameTrailers - 8.8/10
IGN - 9.5/10
Joystiq - 4/5
Kotaku
Mixnmojo.com
New York Times
PC Gamer - 86/100
Rock, Paper, Shotgun
The Escapist - 4/5
US Gamer - 4/5

Even though I'm a backer I think I might want to wait till the beta period is over and get the complete experience the first time. It looks like it'll only be a couple days difference though.

Miker

Yeah, I think I'll also be waiting until the final retail version of Part 1 is out. I don't mind it being split into two parts (I assume Part 1 has some sort of resolution as well as a cliffhanger), but I don't need to play the beta immediately.

Also, generally speaking, I'm just really happy and excited for both the game itself and the team at Double Fine. The process wasn't easy, and they've had to deal with a lot of criticism (some due, mostly undue), but I'm sure the game will turn out brilliantly.

DKehoe

Even though I'm a backer I think I might want to wait till the beta period is over and get the complete experience the first time. It looks like it'll only be a couple days difference though.

Think I'll do the same. I'm really looking forward to it though, love how it looks.

Tan

Wow I've known the date for so long but it still snuck up on me... still unsure whether or not I want to wait for the whole thing.

Do we know how backers are receiving keys? Will they be emailed to us?

I'm not sure if this is the intended method of delivery, but you should already have access to a special page on the Humble Bundle site. I discovered this by accident when I went to get a Humble Bundle key for another Kickstarter project I'd backed; the key resender bot will send you links to EVERY Humble Bundle package you have access to in their system, whether or not you've already connected them to your account (and whether or not the developer in question has emailed you about it).

There's nothing on the special page yet except a description of your backer package, but Double Fine appears to have already dumped all their backer email addresses into the Humble Bundle system. So I'm guessing the first Broken Age build will materialize on those pages in a few days.

(From this other thread http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=749360&page=2)

14th is backers-only; there is no way for non-backers to get in on the game before the public release date. We'll be announcing the public release on the 14th, once the backers have the game, but Part 1 will have a backer-exclusive period.

If you're a backer, you'll be getting an email next week; fulfillment will be very easy. You'll get a Steam key via Humble. We have some requests for our backers in terms of spoilers etc., we'll explain those in next week's backer update.

One more thing. For boring logistical reasons, the game is no longer Steam Early Access. It's just a regular Steam game. But anyone who has Part 1 (either by being a backer, or by buying the game via preorder or public sale) will get Part 2 included when it comes out.

Directly into my veins please. I've been looking forward to this since the beginning of the Kickstarter. Way beyond what I ever hoped for back then. I was expecting something like Ben There, Dan That but shorter and on mobile. Instead I'm getting a big, gorgeous love letter to a genre most had written off.

Shafer's games at LucasArts were before my time, so I feel especially lucky that I now have a chance to experience that, and to be part of the zeitgeist when it happens.

<3 Double Fine.

Randdalf

I'm halfway through a period of endless coursework and exams right now, but this will be the first thing I check out once I'm done with all of that. Non-backers are missing out on half the value of this game, the documentary has been excellent.

Miker

For the backer beta, will it actually be a beta beta (i.e. for bug-testing purposes), or is it a relatively polished product for backers to enjoy a few weeks earlier?

For the backer beta, will it actually be a beta beta (i.e. for bug-testing purposes), or is it a relatively polished product for backers to enjoy a few weeks earlier?

It's pretty polished but we are still depending on our backers to help us hunt down bugs, especially compatibility bugs. For an independent studio like ours it is extremely difficult to exhaustively test on every system configuration possible across three operating systems.

mclem

Gosh. I'm posting in the OT for a Tim Schafer point-and-click adventure.

I backed it two years ago, but it still feels weird getting to this point. There's a Tim Schafer point-and-click adventure coming out. Very soon. And a new Broken Sword came out a little while ago, there's a new Tex Murphy game on the cards with full FMV, and a new Obsidian Infinity-engine-style RPG is on the cards a bit further down the line.

It's 1999 again, and I couldn't be happier.

(Not least because this means I'm back in University. Ahem.)

Edit: Feb 8th, 2012. Almost exactly two years between start of the KS and public release.

Gosh. I'm posting in the OT for a Tim Schafer point-and-click adventure.

I backed it two years ago, but it still feels weird getting to this point. There's a Tim Schafer point-and-click adventure coming out. Very soon. And a new Broken Sword came out a little while ago, there's a new Tex Murphy game on the cards with full FMV, and a new Obsidian Infinity-engine-style RPG is on the cards a bit further down the line.

It's 1999 again, and I couldn't be happier.

(Not least because this means I'm back in University. Ahem.)

Edit: Feb 8th, 2012. Almost exactly two years between start of the KS and public release.

I can't believe it either. A new Schaefer game is coming next week. It's intensity in ten cities.

I'm excited.

I didn't watch anything leading up to this point. I didn't know the title of it until last week.

Now I have to decide whether to save episode 1 until 2 comes out or just go for it.

Haunted

What a road it's been.

The documentary has been so great that this almost feels like the topping for an already amazing deal instead of the actual main event, so to speak. Will wait for other backer feedback before deciding whether I'll play now or later... ah, who am I kidding, I'll probably be there day 1. :D

mclem

What a road it's been.

The documentary has been so great that this almost feels like the topping for an already amazing deal instead of the actual main event, so to speak. Will wait for other backer feedback before deciding whether I'll play now or later... ah, who am I kidding, I'll probably be there day 1. :D

I've said a few times: If I'd paid the absolute minimum to get the game+documentary, then by now I'd have felt I'd entirely got more than my money's worth from the documentary alone.

mclem

To get the game via kickstarter or as a slacker backer it was 15$. I haven't seen a price mentioned for non-backers. They'll be announcing all of the details about the launch on Monday.

My gut is saying $20 for just the game, with a deluxe edition including the doc for a bit more, maybe $30-$40. Any of those numbers could be +/- $10.

Yeah, I'm hedging my bets! It's a tricky thing to price, given there will be some backers who feel cheated if it's cheaper than the $15 tier (even if it offers *less* than the $15 tier by stripping out the documentary). Personally, I don't particularly mind if purchasers get it for less than $15 - I went in with the mindset of paying to make the game happen, not paying to get the game - but that's absolutely a danger area for some backers who *did* back with the latter philosophy.

Slightly off topic but yesterday I tweeted a link to Tim that was a blog post of mine from a few years back explaining why I love Grim so much and the impact it had on me. To my surprise he actually read it, favorited the tweet, and then replied to me with his thanks. Made my day!

Anyway, do we know how long Part 1 will be in beta for? I'd rather wait till it's final release but if that's going to take all the way until Part 2 is out, I don't think I'll be able to hold out.

Edit: Oh I see in the title, late January public release. Awesome.

I still have to watch the last three episodes before playing this.

Can't wait until tuesday, this was my first Kickstarter.

I've said a few times: If I'd paid the absolute minimum to get the game+documentary, then by now I'd have felt I'd entirely got more than my money's worth from the documentary alone.
Yeah, definitely. I've always loved making of and behind the scenes documentaries, but this one is very transparent, so you get a better understanding of what goes into making the game. And 2PP did a wonderful job shoting and cutting it.

Sometimes I love forgetting that I backed something! Gonna wait for the final release at the end of the month. :)

They're splitting it into two parts, right?

Corto

The last documentary with some pieces of Peter's music was fantastic. This january with Banner Saga and Broken Age will spoil me hehe

Vert boil

I preorderd the game through BrokenAgeGame.com, so I'm good for tuesday, right?

Remo posted this in the other thread,

We're not taking preorders right now, but we will soon--stay tuned for more details.

There's no distinction between "backers" and "beta backers"--the minimum backer tier includes access on the 14th. The only exception would be if you just got a regular preorder when those were available, in which case you'll get the game on the regular release date, or if you backed the Kickstarter for less than the price of the lowest tier, in which case you'll have to buy the game separately.

Mr. F

Banned
Still haven't decided whether I'll play or hold off until the final product, super tempted to jump in right away but I kind of want to have it be a complete, uninterrupted experience.

AustinFelix

Unconfirmed Member
Still haven't decided whether I'll play or hold off until the final product, super tempted to jump in right away but I kind of want to have it be a complete, uninterrupted experience.

Feel your pain man, but the way I see it is initially this was going to be a much smaller game, so really I'm'm happy to play the first half as it is.

cannot wait for this fellow backers - how does steam know I'm a backer though....
Everything digital is distributed through Humble bundle. Log in with your backer e-mail at Humble bundle and you should be able to claim Broken Age.

Slightly off topic but yesterday I tweeted a link to Tim that was a blog post of mine from a few years back explaining why I love Grim so much and the impact it had on me. To my surprise he actually read it, favorited the tweet, and then replied to me with his thanks. Made my day!

Anyway, do we know how long Part 1 will be in beta for? I'd rather wait till it's final release but if that's going to take all the way until Part 2 is out, I don't think I'll be able to hold out.

Edit: Oh I see in the title, late January public release. Awesome.
Public release =/= not out of beta. The public will be able to get an access to the beta through Steam Early Access which will be available late January. If I understood everything correctly.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
IMO, they are making a mistake for releasing this for backers so much earlier than for the rest. Day 1 sales are important, otherwise they're just increasing the potential for piracy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom