• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Broken Age |OT| A Double Fine Adventure! [iPad/Ouya Act One out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome, it's finally here. I had a chance to play a small section at Double Fine's Day of the Devs event a few months ago and the charm, imagination and quirkiness we've come to expect were all there. Also I've deliberately held off on watching the documentary because I wanted to know little about the game before playing, so I'm looking forward to playing Part I then watching the doc.

Is there any word on Mac system requirements, specifically if the latest MBA (with integrated Intel graphics) will be enough? I don't have access to my gaming PC right now. :/

Everything digital is distributed through Humble bundle. Log in with your backer e-mail at Humble bundle and you should be able to claim Broken Age.

Public release =/= not out of beta. The public will be able to get an access to the beta through Steam Early Access which will be available late January. If I understood everything correctly.

This was going to be the case but for a variety of logistical reasons (including that we just think the build is actually in really good shape), we're skipping Early Access and going straight to Act 1 final release after the backer beta. We'll use the backer beta to nail down compatibility bugs and other final issues, then we're confident Act 1 will be in a solid state that is polished and complete for the rest of the world.

IMO, they are making a mistake for releasing this for backers so much earlier than for the rest. Day 1 sales are important, otherwise they're just increasing the potential for piracy.

We promised early access for backers two years ago. We aren't going to go back on our word. That's more important.

Amir0x

Banned
Man I am so in love with the art style in this game. That space station or whatever the kid lives in is one of the most astonishingly attractive and bizarre designs I've ever seen for such a thing. I just love searching for all the details in these images. Gorgeous

Mifune

Mehmber
Is there any word on Mac system requirements, specifically if the latest MBA (with integrated Intel graphics) will be enough? I don't have access to my gaming PC right now. :/

Yep, this is what I would like to know as well. Might have to wait until I buy a PC later in the year.

I am really looking forward to this. I'm conflicted on whether I want to wait until the full thing is out or just play Act 1 upon release. Part of me wants the full thing, but then again one of the things I think the Telltale games have always done well by spacing out the story was make you feel invested for longer. Part of my hesitance comes from the documentary; seeing the frustration it caused Greg, and Tim. I'm sure that, considering the time between the decision, and today, things have probably been adjusted to make it a smooth transition. It's just an internal conversation that's been kicking around my head since that episode of the documentary. I'm not the kind of guy who waits until all of the Telltale episodes of a season are out before playing them, so I guess that should translate here.

Also, I don't think I saw it asked here, but will saves from the beta transfer into the final release?

severian

Will buy the Android version and play it in my Nexus 10 i think. I wonder what the price per episode will be.

I think you get the whole game for one price. The game will be updated to include both versions once the second part is out. But it sounds like the January release is PC/Mac/Linux only.

Vibranium

Banned
I can't wait to play, but I am tempted to hold off for the full release like some people...maybe I'll do that to get the full experience.

Looks awesome and Elijah Wood makes everything awesomer.

Not really feeling the art direction of this game. When they said "old school adventure game" I thought they meant the look and feel of the game as well as the gameplay.

Corto

Not really feeling the art direction of this game. When they said "old school adventure game" I thought they meant the look and feel of the game as well as the gameplay.

That would be excessively literal. Not going to argue personal preference on the art direction of Bagel (I myself find it gorgeous), but there are some expectations for the look of a PnC adventure game releasing in 2014 and in my opinion DF exceeded them by far.

thefro

That would be excessively literal. Not going to argue personal preference on the art direction of Bagel (I myself find it gorgeous), but there are some expectations for the look of a PnC adventure game releasing in 2014 and in my opinion DF exceeded them by far.

If the beginning of Episode 12 is anything to go by most people are going to be happy with the art style.

Artanisix

Man I am so in love with the art style in this game. That space station or whatever the kid lives in is one of the most astonishingly attractive and bizarre designs I've ever seen for such a thing. I just love searching for all the details in these images. Gorgeous

Yeah, the Double Fine team who worked on this outdid themselves. Easily one of the most beautiful games I've ever seen in my life.

Fady K

Quick question guys - I am a fan of Double fine's games, played all their recent games on consoles and I was wondering if they ever mentioned a console release for this (or any of their upcoming games)?

An adventure game is always an excellent addition to consoles as it would stand out more due to the lack of traditional adventure games in comparison to PCs/phones/tablets.

Zeliard

Quite excited for this. I delayed watching the documentary and generally didn't keep up much with development, so I know very little about the game, though I did catch a bit of the recent trailer. It's certainly a looker.

Quick question guys - I am a fan of Double fine's games, played all their recent games on consoles and I was wondering if they ever mentioned a console release for this (or any of their upcoming games)?

An adventure game is always an excellent addition to consoles as it would stand out more due to the lack of traditional adventure games in comparison to PCs/phones/tablets.

Nothing announced (or currently in the works). If the game does well and there's demand, you never know! With all the currently announced platforms, we can self-publish and leverage our existing tech; console introduce more publishing and development logistics, but DF's goal is to be on as many platforms as possible so the possibility is always there.

Fady K

Nothing announced (or currently in the works). If the game does well and there's demand, you never know! With all the currently announced platforms, we can self-publish and leverage our existing tech; console introduce more publishing and development logistics, but DF's goal is to be on as many platforms as possible so the possibility is always there.

Thank you for answering my question Chris. I personally felt your team's games like Stacking or Costume Quest were an excellent fit on consoles, alongside the other platforms it was released on. Good luck with you and your team's projects and thanks for all the great content.

Instro

Exciting, although I'll probably wait for the retail release date so as to avoid any bugs. It's been quite a journey watching the development of this game over the last two years.

NIN90

I'm pretty sure I did slacker backer on this shortly after the KS. So where should I be looking? Don't see nothing on HumbleBundle and I don't see anything on my doublefine.com account either.

Vert boil

I'm pretty sure I did slacker backer on this shortly after the KS. So where should I be looking? Don't see nothing on HumbleBundle and I don't see anything on my doublefine.com account either.

Nothing has been sent out yet, that should happen tomorrow. You have to go looking yourself atm.

You could either,
Check you email for a confirmation email.
Or click the Lost Key link at the bottom of the humble bundle page and enter the email address you would have used to purchase the game. You'll receive an email list of/links to all of the games you've bought with that email address. It will show you what tier you paid for and what you will be getting.

Roubjon

Looking forward to this. It's pretty crazy that it's finally here after following it for so long through the documentaries.

LiK

Gonna skip the beta. I'll wait for final one instead. Maybe I'll load it up as a lil celebration that it's finally coming out.

Fireblend

Banned
Can't wait til tomorrow.

I can't believe I paid $15 for this. As far as I'm concerned the documentaries were already worth that price.

Yasawas

I forgot this was a thing I'd paid money for. I can't see it confirmed anywhere but does tomorrow's release include the Linux and Mac versions?

iammeiam

They posted the update due today on the backers forum - http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/11644/

Announcements will be made tomorrow.

I got the Kickstarter email just a bit ago. Not really impressed with them informing backers they're "required" to withhold their own reviews on personal blogs until the press embargo is up.

Still, looking forward to the game and it's not like I even have a blog, but that section just read poorly to me. Requested I'd get and understand, required makes me wonder if they even have a leg to stand on.

Purkake4

Banned
I got the Kickstarter email just a bit ago. Not really impressed with them informing backers they're "required" to withhold their own reviews on personal blogs until the press embargo is up.

Still, looking forward to the game and it's not like I even have a blog, but that section just read poorly to me. Requested I'd get and understand, required makes me wonder if they even have a leg to stand on.
Yeah, total BS, I hope people just ignore it. They have 0 leg to stand on with this in a legal sense, and I don't see the reasoning behind even just asking nicely.

FoneBone

Have they said anything about a release timeframe for iOS? Personally, I prefer to play games of this ilk on my phone.

Extremely excited to finally play this. The first one of the big kickstarter games to be released I believe, and for me personally the one factor whether I'll be supporting more kickstarters in the future (No pressure or anything Remo :p).

So from what I can gather, the release tomorrow is the final game. It's only being in "beta" as a service to the backers and some extra time if major bugs are found - extremely unlikely from reading the update. My body is ready!

thefro

Yeah, total BS, I hope people just ignore it. They have 0 leg to stand on with this in a legal sense, and I don't see the reasoning behind even just asking nicely.

The e-mail actually seems to say if you have a gaming blog/website that does formal reviews you can't break the press embargo just because you're a backer of the game.

Not really impressed with them informing backers they're "required" to withhold their own reviews on personal blogs until the press embargo is up.

Yeah, that's kinda soured me on the whole thing. If they'd just said "hey, we'd appreciate it if you don't post reviews on your blog until the game comes out" or whatever that'd be one thing, but getting all bold letters and acting like we signed an NDA is just like "what?"

The e-mail actually seems to say if you have a gaming blog/website that does formal reviews you can't break the press embargo just because you're a backer of the game.

The way they're making the distinction seems more like it's targeted at saying "hey, guy with a blog where you post reviews of things you play, you can't talk about this either."

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
The VGX footage looked pretty mindblowing to me, pretty much what 13-year old me thought adventure games would look like in the future. I'm so glad I get to play this tomorrow, even if its only half-sies.

I didn't back this, any idea when it will be available for everyone?

Kickstarter is great, but now aren't they losing sales from people who would buy this immediately?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom