• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Broken Age |OT| A Double Fine Adventure! [iPad/Ouya Act One out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

adg1034

Thank you.
That was my initial thought, but I couldn't directly apply the sap to the sand haha.

It was especially tricky for me because
the bucket of sand was highlighted/actionable, so I was sure I had to do something during the ~2 seconds it was near the ground in its animation loop.

But no.

inm8num2

Alright, I'm stuck on what is presumably close to the end of Vella's story.

Got everything sorted out except for a weapon. I've got the stained glass, ladder w/ shoes, and stool in my inventory. I'm going to guess it has something to do with the snake?

You can ignore the
snake

Have you gotten the riddle yet?

LiK

Game was super easy. Just walk around and explore and you can figure it out all very easily. Might be the easiest game Tim Shafer ever made.

Damn it, I'm already stuck.

How do I get the blue bird close to Vella? All I have is a towel, knife and corset. Was I supposed to pick up another cupcake?

Edit: Bleh, just figured it out.

Alastor3

Game was super easy. Just walk around and explore and you can figure it out all very easily. Might be the easiest game Tim Shafer ever made.

oh really ? That's a bummer :(

But I remember having trouble with monkey island so I guess im okay...

Dartastic

This game is so, so good. Super glad that Tim decided to make another adventure game. With our help, of course.
3AQmK.gif

I just finished Shay's side. I love everything about this game. I was really worried this was going to be lackluster, and was okay just backing this for the behind the scenes videos, but in the end they made something really special.

Fuck yeah, I'm running it on a 13" Retina at full res and its gorgeous and glorious.

Now I must not look at this thread until I finish Vella's story.

Llyranor

Ok, just finished the Vella arc.

Loving it. Amazing unique art, great fitting music, wonderful voice-acting, and a funny game just oozing of charm. Well done, Doublefine!

I'll save Shay for tomorrow.

Through Shay's bit and was forced over to Vella.

It is very, very pretty. No game crashing bugs experienced, I'm running on a completely new mid-range rig, so, wasn't expecting any and didn't hit any.

Only issue I can really remember is when Shay was moving between teleporters and
his head was mid-sized small, but, the voice didn't have squeaky voice effects. The previous sentence, he did, then the next, he didn't.
. And once the scene faded to black while Shay was still talking sitting in his captain's chair.

I did laugh out loud at the first teleporter ride. And the others on the ship have good lines.

Other than that, I'm interested to see what happens with Shay at the end of Part 1.

Zoc

Does this game have a proper Steam icon? Am I going to have the beta icon even after the full game comes out? I really hate all those "dementia fortnight" games with no icons in my Steam grid.

Berordn

Does this game have a proper Steam icon? Am I going to have the beta icon even after the full game comes out? I really hate all those "dementia fortnight" games with no icons in my Steam grid.

It's got a proper banner for Grid and List view.

I adored it. 10 times more polished and bug free than I was expecting so those QA guys did good jobs. I was going to give them a shoutout as I saw their names in the credits and I'm sure they're always forgotten about... but then I forgot their names. Anywho they did great.

Everyone did great. I loved it. Super awesome. I can't wait to see where the story goes in act 2.

Some things I really liked:

-The font and color of the subtitles really reminded me of scumm engine games... hopefully intentional :p

-Same thing can be said with relatively end game spoilers
the music in the beach town

-Still funny. The writing still very solid while never getting in the way of the actually really well crafted story that I got totally absorbed into.

-The voice talent! Wow! I had no idea as I was staying in the dark for most of the process.

-I love how
the lumberjack slowly went from an actual lumberjack to a hipster. Also probably the first thing I actually liked Wil Wheaton in :p

-Goddamn, that artstyle!

I'm really glad I backed it. Everything I hoped for and more. Totally worth my $30. I should have given more, but I can't go back in time :(

Really excited for the future, and congratulations to everyone at double fine. Can only hope for the same with Massive Chalice.

P.S. One thing... too easy. But everyone already said that...

Coming in at #18 on the US Steam chart at the moment. If that's selling to new folks at $22.49 a pop, not bad at all. Hope that's the case.

I'm only 5 minutes into Vella's story and I have a ridiculous grin from how charming and beautiful it is. Not just the art but the dialogue, voice acting, animation, it's all just a gorgeous way to open a game.

Started out with Shay and was an idiot not figuring out the routine puzzle.

Hey, dumb question. I pledged $100, so obviously I've got the beta and I downloaded the soundtrack. The humble pages says that I get stuff like a digital download of the documentary. Is that something that is coming later when he full game releases? I mean I've been watching the documentary and all that stuff already, but do I need to claim this humble page to get all of the backer rewards or is that coming later?

louiedog

Started out with Shay and was an idiot not figuring out the routine puzzle.

Hey, dumb question. I pledged $100, so obviously I've got the beta and I downloaded the soundtrack. The humble pages says that I get stuff like a digital download of the documentary. Is that something that is coming later when he full game releases? I mean I've been watching the documentary and all that stuff already, but do I need to claim this humble page to get all of the backer rewards or is that coming later?

I believe the documentary downloads are coming later and will be a different edit than the current streaming version that has the spoiler censors removed.

Snowman

Just finished! Can't wait for Act 2, I think I should've waited and played it all at once. I tried to find myself in the backers section of the credits but couldn't, did you have to pay above a certain amount or something? I can't remember.

Never mind, just checked and saw it was $100+ so that makes sense, I figured with the amount of names it must've been a lower reward tier, I kind of forgot how hard this game got "backed"!

painey

I played for 40 minutes and I don't think there's been a single joke. Is it supposed to be funny like the old Schafer games, or is it trying to be more serious?

Sharp

I played for 40 minutes and I don't think there's been a single joke. Is it supposed to be funny like the old Schafer games, or is it trying to be more serious?
It's not "jokey" like Monkey Island but I think it's fairly in line with Schafer's more recent stuff (Grim Fandango, Psychonauts).

Alchemy

Is this 100% good to go? I was thinking of waiting before jumping on this, but if people are "beating" it I think I might jump in early.

Snowman

HUGE SPOILERS (don't read unless you beat the game already seriously):

So is it safe to assume that Alex was a kid in a similar spaceship from some point who did the same thing as Shay with the maiden-catching stuff? Also if the mother computer thing is based off of a sacrificed maiden, it could easily be some weird cycle thing, but obviously still a lot of mystery there.

Also did someone say you could get past the snake somehow? Would be interested to know what's over there cause I don't think I wanna play through it all up to that point again really.

Haunted

I like that many characters have idle soundbites and are reacting to you if you get closer to them in the environment, it's a nice touch and gets rid of the "NPC waiting for you to talk to him/her" syndrome.

Gazoinks

I like that many characters have idle soundbites and are reacting to you if you get closer to them in the environment, it's a nice touch and gets rid of the "NPC waiting for you to talk to him/her" syndrome.

Yeah, that's a nice touch. I also really like Vella's idle animation. For some reason I don't leave Shay standing around as much, so I don't remember what his is. :p

It's a more subtle humour this time, and I think it's for the better. I love it so far. It's more about the absurdity in the situations then slapstick humour, and Schafer really pulls it off. The start of Vellas second area have so far been fanastic and really funny.

inm8num2

Much of the humor is found in trying various item combinations and using inventory items on anything you find on the screen. Tim put a lot of effort into writing unique responses for nearly everything you try.

Gazoinks

Much of the humor is found in trying various item combinations and using inventory items on anything you find on the screen. Tim put a lot of effort into writing unique responses for nearly everything you try.

"This is the kind of fruit that doesn't have feet."

drgambit

Banned
So I played the Vella story first, and got to the end...
?

Did anyone think there should be a smoother transition between Vellas ending and Shays beginning? I was hoping there would be some sort of fade/transition or whatnot.

Anyways, LOVE the story and going to hack away at the Shay story tomorrow.

Gazoinks

So I played the Vella story first, and got to the end...
?

Did anyone think there should be a smoother transition between Vellas ending and Shays beginning? I was hoping there would be some sort of fade/transition or whatnot.

Anyways, LOVE the story and going to hack away at the Shay story tomorrow.

Well, you can switch between them at will, which is probably why there's no real ending transition.

Well, you can switch between them at will, which is probably why there's no real ending transition.
I'm curious to know how many people are/will be doing that though. I played through one completely then the other and from who I've talked to and from skimming this thread that's what most others did as well.

Deep Crow

Neo Member
Is there any form of controller support in this? Was hoping to play with a couch + TV set up, but it seems like mouse control is the only option?

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Just finished it. Oh, it's nice to play another Tim Schafer point and click again. Like others mentioned it was pretty easy, but I enjoyed the story. McConnell soundtrack was awesome.

Can't wait for Part 2! I'm guessing this is going to clock in around Full Throttle play time.

Five

Banned
Could somebody do me a favor and tell me where the stool is? I somehow managed to open the temple, get the perfume and activate the laser all without the stool, so I'm pretty sure it's what I need next. I'm assuming either the lumberjack or guards give me it, but I can't figure out how to go about that.

Gazoinks

Could somebody do me a favor and tell me where the stool is? I somehow managed to open the temple, get the perfume and activate the laser all without the stool, so I'm pretty sure it's what I need next. I'm assuming either the lumberjack or guards give me it, but I can't figure out how to go about that.

Bring the Driftwood from the first Shellmound area to the Lumberjack.

Finished it in
4 hours
. Started with Vella and completed it without switching to Shay. It took me
hours and Shay's story
h. It was fun, puzzles were on the easy/normal side. Hopefully they are a bit harder on Act 2 and longer running as well. I had one crash to desktop and a few glitches here and there.

I noticed there are no achievements. I hope they don't add them on the launch game in two weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom