• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Broken Age |OT| A Double Fine Adventure! [iPad/Ouya Act One out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

catabarez

Just finished Act 1. I liked it a lot! I have very little experience with the classic adventure games everybody loves (I played the first third or so of the first Monkey Island on XBLA and that's about it) so I can't really compare it to those but it was definitely a fun experience, if a little easy.

I stupidly got stuck on
the puzzle to activate the laser in the pyramid. I thought I had tried everything I could do but apparently I hadn't actually put both pieces in the wrong slots at the same time. I was wandering all over the place thinking I needed to heat something up with the coil.

Also does the game not let you
put the chum in the tear gas dispenser until after you activate the laser? I swear I tried to do that when I first got to Shellmound and I was trying to get the perfume, but I think Vella just said "I don't think I can put that in there" or something. I guess it makes sense since if you did it too soon you'd be able to start the feast without having the laser, but it was weird how that just arbitrarily became allowed.
I might be misremembering this part though, I did it a day or two ago.

I was able to put the chum in the sprayer before starting the laser, she just told the guy to wait so she can find a weapon.

blamite

I was able to put the chum in the sprayer before starting the laser, she just told the guy to wait so she can find a weapon.

Ah, probably just user error on my part then. I could have sworn I tried it and it didn't work, but I was kind of tired at the time so who knows. I must've clicked on a seagull by mistake or something.

deleted

I just finished it - they either wrote my name wrong or forgot me in the credits :(

I liked it so far, even though I guessed what was going on pretty early
when I first met Marek the observation screen looked exactly like the monsters eyes.
and it could have been a bit harder.

Right now I'd love to continue straight away with part 2 and I have lots of questions that want to be answered:
Mother did know what was going on, has Marek capture/killed the girls for ages? Where did Shay come from and why the show? What happened to the girls? Are they fuel? Why would Marek insist on leaving one girl? Will Shay interact with the territorial Snake?

So yeah, memorable art and story, a little easy and the time is just right for me personally. It took me almost exactly 5 hours to get through while I took my time taking everything in and talking to everybody about everything.
Even if Act 2 is shorter, it will most likely be around 2-3 hours for me which is fine. 25$ for an 8 hour game isn't abnormal in this day and age and even back then, adventure games tended to be pretty short.

That leaves me with only one thing to say right now: I want more. MORE! More adventure games, more humor, more absurd and creative settings.

Good thing I missed out on some bigger titles back then or didn't finish them. So I'll finally finish Monkey Island 2, play through Day of the Tentacle again and lend Grim Fandango from a friend until Act 2 is finished.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Hi guys. Anyone else waiting for this game tonight? Any word on if its gonna be unlocked at 12:01am? Also did us non KSbackers get access to the documentary with our purchase?

zroid

Banned
Ah man I totally squandered my early access, haha. I only ended up playing it for about 2 hours.

I'll try to finish it by this weekend if I can.

Vert boil

Hi guys. Anyone else waiting for this game tonight? Any word on if its gonna be unlocked at 12:01am? Also did us non KSbackers get access to the documentary with our purchase?

The countdown on the steam page says it will be available at 6pm GMT.

t1390932000z0.png

If you bought it on steam then all you get is the game (unless you bought the soundtrack bundle). The documentary will be available at some point. We don't when.

tsab

I haven't played it, are all the bugs (if any) fixed after starting the beta? I was planning to play it this week.

I haven't played it, are all the bugs (if any) fixed after starting the beta? I was planning to play it this week.

I believe today is how they intended to launch the game. They fixed lots of bugs, animation, retouched low res art into high-res, and did several improvements from the beta.

This is their latest update (they were fixing more during the beta):

RC8 - 2014.01.24
- So many fixes!
- Added mouse sensitivity slider option.
- Added ‘Click’ or ‘Drag’ control option.
- Added the option to opt out of Telemetry gathering.
- Many, many animation and art improvements.

It it has any bugs left, it's just like any other game that launches on Steam.

Tan

I just finished it - they either wrote my name wrong or forgot me in the credits :(

I thought they forgot mine too but I hadn't realized that being in the credits was in a higher tier (like $100 or something weird). Were you in one of the higher tiers?

Man, would have loved to play through it with all the fixes. As it is, I guess that's good we found all that stuff for the new people.

In the credits, brought this up before, but, I put in my name, my wife (she's THRILLED, btw) and my 6 and 4 year old daughters. They couldn't care less, but, maybe someday they'll realize why I wanted to do it.

ap8YWOs.jpg

Teppic

Did they just remove the single click on an item to the old drag and drop again?

Edit: found the option for it.

They should make an option for the menu to not appear when you move your mouse to the bottom left too.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I hated the Cave since I thought it kicked the balls of adventure fans who loved Lucasfilm Games/Lucas Arts games. I hated its non-existing story, its laughable puzzles, it's boring surroundings and the whole sew-together-ness of it all.

Will I like this game enough to be not angry about its price tag?

fallout

Options for everything! I love software requirements. How should it work? Allow for both and make it configurable!

Anyway, my girlfriend and I played through it on the day it came out. She immediately wanted to replay it the next day, but I wasn't as keen. I wanted to give it some time. Now that the game is officially out, I really have a crazy urge to replay it. Weird.

Aaron

I hated the Cave since I thought it kicked the balls of adventure fans who loved Lucasfilm Games/Lucas Arts games. I hated its non-existing story, its laughable puzzles, it's boring surroundings and the whole sew-together-ness of it all.

It's nothing like the Cave. Not in any way, shape, or form.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Can someone with the Mac check if the game is DRM free on Mac when purchased from the Steam? I know this was the case with The Cave. I don't mind buying from Steam, but I just prefer launching games directly on Mac as it's nearly instant compared to launching Steam + launching a game.

AppleMIX

It plays like a streamlined (for better or worse) old school point and click.

fallout

In my entirely scientific review of the internet, I've found that a lot of people who dislike Broken Age cite: "I wanted an old-school adventure game!" as a major problem. You might not be the person I would recommend this to, despite how much I loved it.

Just finished Shay's portion of the game. Started Bella's but am taking a break for now. Really enjoying it. Never really grew up with adventure games as I was a Nintendo kid growing up. Totally enjoying this though and not having any problem with the logic of it all. Definitely makes me want to go back to some of the classics. I love the art style and performances, the story is cute but really intriguing at the same time. Kind of reminds me of a Pixar movie.

causan

Just finished this first part this weekend clocking in at 4.3 hours. What a wonderful game. The art style, music, humor and puzzles where all on point and that ending was great. The 2nd part can not come soon enough.

Haunted

New Episode of the documentary is awesome.

I would watch a stream of Tim Schafer watching other people stream Broken Age. :lol

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, the game is beautiful. Vella is so adorable. The costume design for everyone so far is just perfect. I'm enjoying every word of dialogue too. Its been a while since I've just wanted to live inside a game world and this is definitely one of those times. I didn't really know what to expect. The only P&C Adventure game I've played is Sword and Sworcery, and I haven't been following the development so I had no forknowledge about the experience.

I'm in the Meriloft section and just met Gus. I tried to
eat a peach and spit the pit into his epic wedgie. lol. But no dice.

What a pleasant experience this is.

deleted

Did you pay at the $100 tier?

EDIT: Eep. Didn't read far enough down. Tan beat me to it.

Nope, that's it - I thought every backer was in there.

I watched the new episode - a little bit bittersweet because I don't think all the hopes of full financial independence for the studio that lie on this game can be fulfilled with this title.
Right now it seems so be just doing okish. When the second Act hits will be the time to fully judge this experiment.

Right now I hope they make it to a high number (500.000 would be amazing), but sadly I don't see it, even if the game is awesome.

Haunted

I watched the new episode - a little bit bittersweet because I don't think all the hopes of full financial independence for the studio that lie on this game can be fulfilled with this title.
Right now it seems so be just doing okish. When the second Act hits will be the time to fully judge this experiment.

Right now I hope they make it to a high number (500.000 would be amazing), but sadly I don't see it, even if the game is awesome.
I hope they continue to be as transparent as they have been so far and share all sorts of sales data with us, either in the backer forums or the series.

In Remo we trust.

Sera O

Banned
New Episode of the documentary is awesome.

I would watch a stream of Tim Schafer watching other people stream Broken Age. :lol

His "You're playing it wrong!" (reference to when Brutal Legend came out) cracked me up.

So Broken Age has been updated with steam cards now? I also see that it has some fixes I really wanted, like right-click for inventory and not needing to drag items to use them. Awesome; I will probably replay it in a month or so.

wetflame

Pizza Dog

I hope having gone through this one, they pick out some lessons on how to do this again, but better. I really like the game and I have no regrets, but I'd like to see them use the model to bring more stuff like this and have it work out gangbusters for them rather than being what seemed like a struggle.

komplanen

Played the Shay's story part and while the production value is superb and I feel like they delivered at the very least what they set out to do (and even more) but I'm just not feeling it. Not that much into the characters yet and it's just not my cup of tea. And I guess tea isn't my cup of tea since I'm never any good at point-and-click games like this.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Try out Vella's side. Shes the most charming character. I kind of have a friend crush on her.
She talks to random birds very sincerely.

Dr. Kaos

Banned
Can someone with the Mac check if the game is DRM free on Mac when purchased from the Steam? I know this was the case with The Cave. I don't mind buying from Steam, but I just prefer launching games directly on Mac as it's nearly instant compared to launching Steam + launching a game.

It's not DRM free on Mac. I checked. They're taking their sweet time with the DRM-free version to be honest, saying only sometime in february.

IMHO, drm-free version should be available today.

jett

D-Member
Man they don't even have a rough estimate on Act 2's release date. I somehow thought it would just be a couple of months, now I'm guessing a 2015 release.

Anyway, interesting that they actually repainted a bunch of background in higher res, I'll have to replay the game and check that out.

Sera O

Banned
Anyway, interesting that they actually repainted a bunch of background in higher res, I'll have to replay the game and check that out.

Awesome - I remember thinking the backgrounds were sometimes iffy when zoomed in on characters for conversation. I'm glad to hear they've tried to clean things up a bit.

Lunzio

Man they don't even have a rough estimate on Act 2's release date. I somehow thought it would just be a couple of months, now I'm guessing a 2015 release.

Originally it was April, but that's definitely not happening. I think they've broadened their plan enough to say by the end of 2014, so I'm betting we'll see it in November.

Haunted

Played the Shay's story part and while the production value is superb and I feel like they delivered at the very least what they set out to do (and even more) but I'm just not feeling it. Not that much into the characters yet and it's just not my cup of tea. And I guess tea isn't my cup of tea since I'm never any good at point-and-click games like this.
WHAT

nrvOPlQ.png

Best new character 2014.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
This game is so good I don't want to play it anymore. I just solved the riddle of yorn or whatever. The hilariously nonchalant way the characters act is hitting pitch perfect for me. It's SOOOOO good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom