• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Broken Age |OT| A Double Fine Adventure! [iPad/Ouya Act One out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

Getting the fruit is not a puzzle, you just have to click on the low hanging branch on the left side. I was confused for a while because I thought I had to do something clever to get it.

EDIT: NVM figured it out =P Thanks.

zhorkat

Could someone help me out or offer guidance please?
I'm playing as Vera and want to know
how do I get past the snake, how do I get some fruit from the tree in the clouds and how do I get past the two blind guardians?

In order,
I don't believe you can.
Shake it off the tree and then jump down one of the holes.
Present the item to them that solves their riddle.

Just beat act 1 and I loved it. I never really grew up with point-and-click adventure games as I was more of a Nintendo kid, but I really enjoyed this and it's made me want to go back and check out some of the classics in the genre.

Woah I just finished Act 1 and it only took me 10ish hours.
...WHAT THE FLYING FUCK MAN!

What... How? I'm an adventure game noob and it took me 3 hours.

Tizoc

Just beat act 1 and I loved it. I never really grew up with point-and-click adventure games as I was more of a Nintendo kid, but I really enjoyed this and it's made me want to go back and check out some of the classics in the genre.

What... How? I'm an adventure game noob and it took me 3 hours.

I think it's cuz I wanted to hear as much dialog form characters as possible and because it took me a little time to figure out some of the puzzles.

phoenixyz

I'm not the biggest point-and-click adventure fan (I played like... 3? in all of my gaming life) but Broken Age was great. It had a really great flow, mainly due to the great writing and atmosphere. But also because the puzzles were rather simple. Being stuck is just no fun for me.

And so the wait continues.
Disappointing.

When I was a 11-yo I had to walk into the interior of Caracas, use the subway, walk for various blocks across some of my most hated venues, and various dangerous locales, because I wanted a copy of Gauntlet Legends for N64. Installing steam for a game you want can't be that bad.

terrisus

When I was a 11-yo I had to walk into the interior of Caracas, use the subway, walk for various blocks across some of my most hated venues, and various dangerous locales, because I wanted a copy of Gauntlet Legends for N64. Installing steam for a game you want can't be that bad.

When I was 11 years old, I was busy playing the newly-released Star Fox for SNES.
And, 21 years later, I can still play that same copy of Star Fox.

I have no interest in participating in DRM services, which was one of the things I ensured would be possible before backing this game.
They need to hurry up and get the DRM-free versions out there.

When I was 11 years old, I was busy playing the newly-released Star Fox for SNES.
And, 21 years later, I can still play that same copy of Star Fox.

I have no interest in participating in DRM services, which was one of the things I ensured would be possible before backing this game.
They need to hurry up and get the DRM-free versions out there.

Well it must be because I link it to filmmaking. I'm just saying, if you were a backer, this is like missing the screening in the theater (of which you wouldn't really own the copy projected) waiting for the blu-ray to arrive.

terrisus

Well, for me, I view movies as basically worthless and disposable - unlike how I view video games, as something of which I want permanent possession.
So, even if the analogy works for someone who views them as both of the same value, it's still not why I backed the project.

Well, for me, I view movies as basically worthless and disposable - unlike how I view video games, as something of which I want permanent possession.
So, even if the analogy works for someone who views them as both of the same value, it's still not why I backed the project.

Well some of the most important films in history are absolutely not commercial at all, so I suppose they really are different in that sense.

terrisus

To be fair to Double-Fine, I suppose the Kickstarter page only promises "The finished game in all of its awesome glory DRM free on PC, Mac, and Linux" (with a delivery date of October 2012, but that's kind of its own issue). So, if they view Act 1 as not "The finished game," then there's that. Still disappointing though.

thefro

To be fair to Double-Fine, I suppose the Kickstarter page only promises "The finished game in all of its awesome glory DRM free on PC, Mac, and Linux" (with a delivery date of October 2012, but that's kind of its own issue). So, if they view Act 1 as not "The finished game," then there's that. Still disappointing though.

I believe they may have some sort of deal to be listed as a featured game on the Steam store for most of the month. May explain why they can't release a DRM-free version yet.

To be fair to Double-Fine, I suppose the Kickstarter page only promises "The finished game in all of its awesome glory DRM free on PC, Mac, and Linux" (with a delivery date of October 2012, but that's kind of its own issue). So, if they view Act 1 as not "The finished game," then there's that.

Yup.

I think it's extremely important and valuable for companies to release DRM-free versions of this software, and I'm glad that Kickstarted-backed titles have so frequently included that as a core element of their pitch. But people who want this really need to understand how much more logistically challenging (and expensive!) it is to provide and distribute DRM-free versions of something that's frequently updating. You're generally not going to see these happen during a beta or incomplete periods, and they usually won't be updated as frequently once they're out either.

If DRM-free is so important to someone that they aren't willing to even use an alternate service to play the game initially before filing away the unlocked copy later, they probably shouldn't be expecting to play the game the absolute moment it arrives.

Seems to be selling quite steady on Steam. With the exception a few temporary deeper drop, it's been lingering around 20th-30th place since the release. Not sure how that translated into sold copies, but I would assume that it's quite good for a game that's not complete yet, and where 90k already had bought the game long before release.

TheBear

Played it. Loved it. I haven't enjoyed an adventure game in a long time but I'm glad I backed this because it was worth it.

Anyone know when the documentary episodes will be available for download. I've been waiting this whole time so I can watch the series on tv.

Lingitiz

Finally got my review out for this. I liked it a lot, but it's a bit too simple and barebones. Still, it's charming as hell and won me over despite my rather large misgivings with it.

zhorkat

Yup.

I think it's extremely important and valuable for companies to release DRM-free versions of this software, and I'm glad that Kickstarted-backed titles have so frequently included that as a core element of their pitch. But people who want this really need to understand how much more logistically challenging (and expensive!) it is to provide and distribute DRM-free versions of something that's frequently updating. You're generally not going to see these happen during a beta or incomplete periods, and they usually won't be updated as frequently once they're out either.

If DRM-free is so important to someone that they aren't willing to even use an alternate service to play the game initially before filing away the unlocked copy later, they probably shouldn't be expecting to play the game the absolute moment it arrives.

I don't get why you wouldn't just release your game DRM-free on Steam. That doesn't help the people who want to get it through a service that isn't Steam, but there's probably a group of people who previously would have waited for a Humble Store or GOG release that would play a DRM-free Steam version.

I don't get why you wouldn't just release your game DRM-free on Steam.

Has anyone even checked whether the Steam version is DRM-free? Maybe it is!

(Usually the people who flip out about this sort of thing don't want to even install a client like Steam anyway.)

zhorkat

Has anyone even checked whether the Steam version is DRM-free? Maybe it is!

(Usually the people who flip out about this sort of thing don't want to even install a client like Steam anyway.)

I just tried it. Broken Age doesn't want to start up on my laptop that doesn't have Steam installed :(

Tizoc

Hope it's OK to ask this here but:
I want to make a video review of Broken Age, thing is I don't know how to properly vent out what I like about the game and what I should say. Are there any good video reviews I can use for inspiration or to help me in making my own video?

Hope it's OK to ask this here but:
I want to make a video review of Broken Age, thing is I don't know how to properly vent out what I like about the game and what I should say. Are there any good video reviews I can use for inspiration or to help me in making my own video?

Don't go full Shia.

terrisus

Well, the DRM-free version of Act 1 was finally released a couple of hours ago.
So I guess I'll finally get to check this out tomorrow.

Well, the DRM-free version of Act 1 was finally released a couple of hours ago.
So I guess I'll finally get to check this out tomorrow.

Nice, now I can finally let my sister play this on her computer by herself rather than having to show the game to her from my Steam profile.

Fuz

Banned
And so the wait continues.
Disappointing.

For someone, it is.
I am among the people who dislike steam and DRM, so I waited till today...
Broken Age is finally out DRM free too for the backers, rejoice!
This is true, but I would like to point out that the decision to split the game in 2 parts came after the backing.

Maybe you're right, but then they shouldn't expect those people to back their projects.

From the latest kickstarter post, I had the impression that Act 2 is not even designed yet... And they plan to launch this year? Is that possible?

Haunted

From the latest kickstarter post, I had the impression that Act 2 is not even designed yet... And they plan to launch this year? Is that possible?
Well, everything's in place with the engine and the asset pipelines. They can totally focus on producing content now.

But yeah, either the second act is even shorter than the first one or I foresee a delay incoming.

Though
they will be able to reuse some assets with minor changes going by the ending.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Hey hey, I just got a 25% off broken age giftcard through steam which im happy to give to anyone who asks. It says its tradeable and expires on March14th, so hit me up! Its a fantastic game!

PaulloDEC

Hey hey, I just got a 25% off broken age giftcard through steam which im happy to give to anyone who asks. It says its tradeable and expires on March14th, so hit me up! Its a fantastic game!

I've got some too, so I'll extend the same offer as Jtwo. Send me a PM if interested.

Loona

Got that too, bought the game, and I'd enjoy it more if it didn't randomly close while playing the Vella side, messing up my ability to continue or load the gsme from where I left off - I tend to gravitate toward her messed-up circumstances even after playing a fair bit with Shay.

Gonna try again tomorrow after running Windows Update again just in case.

Vert boil

gamesindustry.biz interview with Schafer,

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...tay-afloat-in-a-pool-of-internet-twitter-hate

Of course, there's still Broken Age Act 2 to finish. While Schafer wouldn't discuss sales figures, the good news for Double Fine fans is that the plan to split the game in two as a way of funding the final stretch of development worked.

"We've made enough that we can make the second half of the game for sure," Schafer said. "And we're not done making it to all the platforms because we haven't released it on iPad yet. I feel that's going to be a really interesting platform for adventure games. It's such a fun place to play point-and-click graphic adventures, and so many people have them. That's exciting to me."

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if they're gonna try to charge the full 25$ on iOS.

Artea

Banned
Schafer is an idiot and his incompetence damages the reputation of Kickstarter and threatens the other Kickstarter projects that are competently managed. He squandered the budget on celebrity voice acting and elaborate cutscenes.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Schafer is an idiot and his incompetence damages the reputation of Kickstarter and threatens the other Kickstarter projects that are competently managed. He squandered the budget on celebrity voice acting and elaborate cutscenes.
I guarantee that the voice acting was not "squandering the budget". Most of the actors are people who have been in previous Schafer-led projects and probably didn't ask a great deal for their appearances. Besides, they have business minded people working there too, they wouldn't want money wasted. The budget was much higher than the original scope called for, they're going to want to give value for money. Are you not pleased with what your $15 or however much gets you?

Artea

Banned
I guarantee that the voice acting was not "squandering the budget". Most of the actors are people who have been in previous Schafer-led projects and probably didn't ask a great deal for their appearances. Besides, they have business minded people working there too, they wouldn't want money wasted. The budget was much higher than the original scope called for, they're going to want to give value for money. Are you not pleased with what your $15 or however much gets you?
The first part of the game is barely four hours and has very simplistic puzzles and interaction. They didn't go over scope, they just wasted the money on superfluous stuff that wasn't needed.

You're deluded if you don't think they spend some serious bucks to get all that voice talent on board. Also, splitting the game up in two parts costs additional money. It's much more cost-efficient to do stuff (like voice recording sessions) in one go.

Chitown B

$3,336,371

pledged of $400,000 goal

Estimated delivery: Oct 2012

They got 8x the original estimated budget, and delivered only half the game 18 months late.

PaulloDEC

The first part of the game is barely four hours and has very simplistic puzzles and interaction. They didn't go over scope, they just wasted the money on superfluous stuff that wasn't needed.

You're deluded if you don't think they spend some serious bucks to get all that voice talent on board. Also, splitting the game up in two parts costs additional money. It's much more cost-efficient to do stuff (like voice recording sessions) in one go.

Sorry, but you're deluded if you think they did. Half the big names involved are friends of the company (Jack Black, Pendleton Ward) and others are well-known fans who personally wanted to be involved (Elijah Wood).

Anyone who looks at a company like Double Fine and thinks "Yeah, these guys would totally risk crippling their crowdfunded adventure game in exchange for some celebrity VO" clearly doesn't know as much about Double Fine as they think they do.

As for splitting the game, if you'd been watching the documentary you'd already know why it became necessary and wouldn't need to sit on the sidelines making up rubbish about it.

$3,336,371

pledged of $400,000 goal

They got 8x the original estimated budget, and delivered only half the game 18 months late.

Making video games not an exact science - more at eleven.

$3,336,371

pledged of $400,000 goal

The $300K budget would have only paid for a game a fraction of the scope of Broken Age, probably not much more than a Flash game with static art and a handful of screens and rooms and no voice acting. When the final amount came in, they expanded the scope and design accordingly. Would you have preferred they spend $300K on a barebones Flash adventure in two months and pocketed the rest of the funds as pure profit?

Chitown B

Making video games not an exact science - more at eleven.

Experienced company overshoots by 300%, more at eleven.

The $300K budget would have only paid for a game a fraction of the scope of Broken Age, probably not much more than a Flash game with static art and a handful of screens and rooms and no voice acting. When the final amount came in, they expanded the scope and design accordingly. Would you have preferred they spend $300K on a barebones Flash adventure in two months and pocketed the rest of the funds as pure profit?

I didn't think it should've been done by October 2012. But neither should they have thought that. It was still way overkill for what they were doing, and they could have used that extra money to push it out a bit faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom