• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Broken Age |OT| A Double Fine Adventure! [iPad/Ouya Act One out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron

I'm not quite sure why they would have thought that though, wasn't it obvious that those 90K backers were the people with the biggest interest in adventure games, basically meaning 90K less potential buyers later on? Considering what adventure games usually sell these days, 225K total on PC so far seems pretty huge actually.
Especially for an unfinished adventure game that's 3 hours long at best.

duckroll

Indie games like Papers Please have sold 500k, Gone Home sold 250k as of February, so with the kickstarter attention, and generally higher profile, I can see where they were hoping to do better. The game is really good, but the documentary is amazing. It is a little depressing at the moment, but I'm holding out for a happy ending.

Papers Please (500k) is 10 bucks.

Gone Home (250k) is 20 bucks.

Broken Age (135k) is 25 bucks.

Hmmm....

NoPiece

Papers Please (500k) is 10 bucks.

Gone Home (250k) is 20 bucks.

Broken Age (135k) is 25 bucks.

Hmmm....

I think there is more to it than just price, but it is pretty clearly a factor. It would have been interesting to see what they would have done at $19. I wonder if there is a big chunk of people on Steam who drop out at anything over $20.

SparkTR

I think there is more to it than just price, but it is pretty clearly a factor. It would have been interesting to see what they would have done at $19. I wonder if there is a big chunk of people on Steam who drop out at anything over $20.

They're just abiding by what Tim told them 20 years ago, never spend more than $20 for a computer game.

duckroll

Of course there's more to it than just the price, considering the three games aren't really comparable other than being digital-only titles tangibly in the "adventure" genre. I was just pointing out that given the relatively pointless comparison in the first place, there are factors which follow a trend. So if we're going by "well these indie titles sold more so Double Fine might have expected more", we can also look at it as "well these indie titles were cheaper, so duh".

Death³

Banned
ok, i backed this game on KS and just now decided to play it, i have to be in the mood to play certain games, is it normal that this game hovers between 35 and 42 frames all the time? i have a decent PC and it seems weird for me, i did a google search but nothing came up so if anyone knows about this ill appreciate some info on the matter

Start Google Chrome and let it run in the background while you are playing the game. That helped on my system.

Not a joke post.

NoPiece

Of course there's more to it than just the price, considering the three games aren't really comparable other than being digital-only titles tangibly in the "adventure" genre. I was just pointing out that given the relatively pointless comparison in the first place, there are factors which follow a trend. So if we're going by "well these indie titles sold more so Double Fine might have expected more", we can also look at it as "well these indie titles were cheaper, so duh".

yes, I was agreeing with you! And if they had lowered the price 20%, from 24.99 to 19.99, I think they would have had more than a 20% boost in sales. The only issue is whether there really is a hard cap of adventure gamers at around 200k.

mclem

yes, I was agreeing with you! And if they had lowered the price 20%, from 24.99 to 19.99, I think they would have had more than a 20% boost in sales. The only issue is whether there really is a hard cap of adventure gamers at around 200k.

Perhaps we'll only get a solid idea of where it is after we have a steam sale *after* the second half is out. The combination of complete game and discount is likely to be the best chance it has of reaching the more sceptical audience, and then we'll get a final idea of the reach.

duckroll

Yeah I feel that the fact that this is an incomplete game is probably holding it back more than the price. But both factors combined probably has a pretty strong impact as well - it's viewed as an expensive game for the category it is in (self-published digital title) and it's an unfinished narrative driven game.

mclem

Do we have numbers for Kentucky Route Zero? Similar price, similarly incomplete currently (but has been out for much longer than BA!)

inm8num2

What also hurt sales was that a fair chunk of backers and adventure gamers were disappointed by Act 1. Had their opinions been more positive, the enthusiasm and interest might have created more word of mouth leading to more sales.

The documentary continues to be fantastic, even if as a fan it's been a bit of a bummer lately.

The price doesn't help (I think 25 is fine but it's hard to sell that when only half the game is there atm), the tidal wave of bad press before launch with the split and then at launch with the attempted 'gentlemen's embargo' didn't help (nor did reviews going up two weeks before launch and the potential for impulse buys), the general backlash against Kickstarter games didn't help, and finally some bad impressions of the game didn't help... even though the overwhelming reception was positive there was a whole lot of negativity surrounding the launch overall. It really does seem like there would be a chance for a big second push when Act 2 releases though, largely free of the baggage of the first launch.

It's a shame that it fell off the App Store top sellers list so fast, but it seems like iPad games can stick around for a while sales-wise especially if they wind up on the year-end best lists.

Fox318

I never buy episodic adventure games until I can purchase the whole season/game.

Broken Age was really my first game that I've bought like that and if I could do it over again I'd probably just try and wait it out instead of kickstarting it.

Renpatsu

Yeah I feel that the fact that this is an incomplete game is probably holding it back more than the price. But both factors combined probably has a pretty strong impact as well - it's viewed as an expensive game for the category it is in (self-published digital title) and it's an unfinished narrative driven game.
Anecdotally I know that several of my friends are going to play the game, but they'd rather wait for Act 2 to be released before making any monetary purchase.

I also have a feeling Broken Age will also have a lot stronger word of mouth following the release of the second act seeing as that will close the narrative and emotional arc of the game much more so than only Act 1.

duckroll

Do we have numbers for Kentucky Route Zero? Similar price, similarly incomplete currently (but has been out for much longer than BA!)

Sales for it are probably really low, but in terms of expectations it shouldn't really be compared either, since that is more of an art project by two people who can afford to spend years making it since there's really low development overhead. Broken Age is an actual commercial product which Double Fine has committed to, and they're running a business which employs a bunch of people.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
There's probably a lot of people waiting for Act 2 to be released before they take the plunge. If I wasn't a backer I'd certainly be waiting. There's little reason not to with games like this, really. You get to play the complete package without having to wait between releases and you're able to get it for much cheaper too.

I never buy episodic adventure games until I can purchase the whole season/game.

Broken Age was really my first game that I've bought like that and if I could do it over again I'd probably just try and wait it out instead of kickstarting it.

I backed it with $100, and with result in hand, I would have backed it with at least the same amount if I had been able to go back and do it again.

I won't pretend that Act 1 was perfect. It wasn't. But it was really, it had heart, and themes and character development like the one this game has, is something many adventure game misses.

I backed Broken Sword 5 with the same amount, and while I liked it, and enjoyed it for much of the plot and many of the puzzles, it felt a bit flat and uninteresting compared to Broken Age.

Vert boil

I'm not a backer and bought the documentary separately - so far the new episode is not up for me. does anyone know how long i have to wait?

It took a long time for episode 15 to show up on VHX.

There was a guy in the same position as you that started a thread about ep 15 on the Double Fine board but there wasn't an official response. You could do the same for ep 16 or try tweeting DF or 2PP to see if you can get a answer.

androvsky

Sales data is interesting. I'm honestly shocked they haven't ported this to consoles.

They did! They made a launch exclusivity deal (iirc, it's 6 months) with the Ouya, and that port came out early June. Every kickstarter backer who pledged above $15 should have a key.

It's too bad the documentary doesn't cover the Ouya at all, since I'd love to see the conversation where they say they need to be on platforms where they can make money, and then make an exclusivity deal on the Ouya. I'm sure there's some sort of Kickstarter solidarity thing gonig on, but it's difficult to get behind. Was Tim talking about that in the latest episode when he mumbles something about "and that other platform" when talking about the iPad port?

They did! They made a launch exclusivity deal (iirc, it's 6 months) with the Ouya, and that port came out early June. Every kickstarter backer who pledged above $15 should have a key.

It's too bad the documentary doesn't cover the Ouya at all, since I'd love to see the conversation where they say they need to be on platforms where they can make money, and then make an exclusivity deal on the Ouya. I'm sure there's some sort of Kickstarter solidarity thing gonig on, but it's difficult to get behind.

Well, it's not like they would have done PS/XBOX versions if they had not done the Ouya version.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I can't wait for part 2! Part 1 is one of my favorite works this year.

ZoddGutts

Indie games like Papers Please have sold 500k, Gone Home sold 250k as of February, so with the kickstarter attention, and generally higher profile, I can see where they were hoping to do better. The game is really good, but the documentary is amazing. It is a little depressing at the moment, but I'm holding out for a happy ending.

Depends how good word of mouth from people who played the game. Divinity: Original Sin is a Kickstarter and self publish game and it's gotten rave reviews from both the gaming press and gamers. Word of mouth has helped sale well and it's been number 1 seller on Steam since it launch nearly two weeks ago. With the remaining money they had they bought only two ads for sites. It's sold 160,000 copies in 3 days with Early Access numbers combine. Broken Age had the problem being a half game, so I get the feeling that people decided to wait for the complete game to get it. Problem, the hype for the game has died down.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.

I agree with this completely. Being half a game is really hurting their chances of attracting new buyers. The fact that some came out with mixed impressions, which is probably in part because it is only the first act of the game, doesn't help either.

KingV

I think doublefine just hasn't figured out how to market things well on their own. I didn't even realize that Broken Age was out on iPad until I saw this thread. I immediately went to the app store and bought it.

Its a great old time adventure game! That said they need to get some App Store front page features to get noticed. The App Store itself could also use some flash sales to drive interest, but that's another story.

New project update. Seems like it's progressing well.

Greg Rice said:
Huzzah, a project update! Been busy times over here at DF headquarters, so some fun stuff to update you guys on.

Shay’s half of Act 2 is officially at Alpha. We did a full playthrough with the team a few weeks ago and were SUPER pleased with how it went. Last week we also had a HOF to playtest this section with the whole company which was great as well. Always fun to show the other teams what we’ve been working on all this time. Both of these things left everyone on Team Reds really energized and ready to get started on Vella’s section. That’s what the next couple months will be focused on as we march towards trying to bring the whole act to alpha by early October.

All of the dialog for Shay’s half has now been recorded with our fabulous voice cast and implemented in the game, so we’ve got the SuperGenius folks coming on board to start taking those animations to a beta level of polish. It will be awesome to have this work going in parallel to our Vella alpha work, as things should be looking pretty good when we roll back to Shay beta work.

As for Tim, he’s still on lock down as he works to hit his FINAL writing deadline. I’m sure we’ll all be celebrating when that happens. So many lines!!

Things are starting to shape up quite nicely! Looking forward to showing you more in the next doc episode!

http://www.doublefine.com/dfa/content/update_20_8314/

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I really wish we'd have this by now. But progress at least...

They blew their budget and most of the team probably has to work on projects paying the bills and Broken age is just a side projects at this point. Not a criticism. Just a sad reality of running a business.

They blew their budget and most of the team probably has to work on projects paying the bills and Broken age is just a side projects at this point. Not a criticism. Just a sad reality of running a business.

So you're saying that the documentary lies? Because what you're saying conflicts with it.

So you're saying that the documentary lies? Because what you're saying conflicts with it.

It doesn't lie (that I'm aware of) but it doesn't paint a complete picture of what is going on at Double Fine. Splitting the game was an act of desperation and the first part did not sell anywhere near the numbers they hoped based on their sales projects in the documentary right before the release.

Splitting the game was an act of desperation

They covered the discussion, about whether or not to split the game in two parts, quite extensively in the documentary. What part of their explanation for it doesn't add up do you mean?

and the first part did not sell anywhere near the numbers they hoped based on their sales projects in the documentary right before the release.

Well, according to the latest part of the doc, it sold according to their modest sales projections, but not their optimistic one.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

they blew their budget...

... so they're paying extra to hire an external team

inm8num2

There may not be much to report, other than the team just plugging away at Act 2. But yea, it would be nice to get a new episode soon (or a side quest).

Fractal

Banned
Hm, almost forgot about this one. Not playing it until we see Act Two, though. Don't see much point in playing one half of the game if there's a chance we never see the other half.

inm8num2

The game will most certainly be completed. The last documentary episode mentioned the release goal being by the end of the year, so while it's possible Act 2 will slip into 2015, it is coming.

jett

D-Member
I don't expect it to come out this year at all, but I do expect it to come out at some point. I also hope the full package is a better sales success for them.

The game will most certainly be completed. The last documentary episode mentioned the release goal being by the end of the year, so while it's possible Act 2 will slip into 2015, it is coming.

Good, Act 1 has a horrible cliffhanger (and by "horrible" I mean "really good" as in you need to find out what happens next NOW)

jett

D-Member
Playin Destiny. Just was happy to share a like-mind moment with you since we both posted in a 10 day old thread at the same time.

tumblr_n21vtfiZQ61t6vsvoo1_r2_500.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom