• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Broken Sword 5: The Serpent's Curse |OT| Paris in the spring

Tizoc

zmXr470.jpg

Platform: Windows, Linux, Mac, iOS, Android & PS Vita
Genre: Point n’ Click/Adventure
Official website: http://www.revolution.co.uk/games/bs5/
Buying from GOG.com nets you the Mac ver. Buying from Steam gives you Linux+Mac as well
Price:
$24.99 for Windows, Linux and Mac
TBC for iOS, Android & PS Vita
Each Episode costs $14.99 seperatly
Release date:
December 5th for Windows, Linux & Mac
TBC for PS Vita, iOS and Android​

Introduction
After a successful Kickstarter, Broken Sword 5 is finally releasing on December 5th on Windows, with the Vita ver. expected to release within in the next few weeks though unfortunately there isn't much info about this version yet. The release date for the iOS and Android versions may be delayed to 2014.

Even if you've never played a Broken Sword game before, there's nothing wrong with jumping in straight to this game, if you're interested in it or Adventure style games. At worst it'll make you want to go grab the previous games to experience George and Nico's early adventures

Those who backed the Kickstarter by paying $15 or more will be getting both episodes, otherwise you may purchase the game for $25 from Steam or GOG.com (to name a few).
If you paid $50 or were rank Silver or higher during the Kickstarter campaign, you should get an e-mail from Revolution with a link to the Beta, a sort of demo you could say, to try out the game's first 2 hours.

The game consists of 2 parts/episodes, Ep. 1 releasing in December, with Ep. 2 releasing in January. Some impressions seem to imply that each episode may end up taking 6+ hours to complete.

Story Synopsis
Paris in the spring. Shots ring out from a gallery...
A robbery – a murder – and the beginning of another epic, original Broken Sword adventure.
An adventure that will hurl intrepid lawyer George Stobbart and sassy journalist Nico Collard onto the trail of a murderous conspiracy forged in the cauldron of war-torn Europe. A conspiracy whose roots lie in mysteries older than the written word.
Armed only with logic, integrity and a wry sense of humour - can George and Nico outwit evil forces both ancient and modern and save mankind from disaster? From a Curse forged by the Devil himself?

Recommended tips for best PnC/Adventure game experience
*Turn off Hints
*Zone Alarm seems to make problems with that game, only solution is to uninstall Zone Alarm.
*If the game fails to launch on Steam without error message, you should try to run the game's executable directly (on Windows “BS5.exe”). In some cases that shows an error message which can help to troubleshoot the issue.
*It's best to use the Classic UI interface as the Modern UI seems to crash and cause problem for some people.

Media

GOG.com pre-order trailer showcasing footage from the Beta (Can be viewed at the game's Steam page as well)

Reviews
PC Games gives it 86/100
Digital Spy gives it 3/5
Metro gives it 6/10
Gamer's Global gives it 8/10
Nowgamer gives it 8/10
INCGamers.com gives it 6/10
Gamestar gives it 74/100
Gameblog.fr gives it 3/5
RPS' Wot I think of Episode 1
Gamekult gives it 6/10
Giga.de gives it 6/10
Hookedgamers.com gives it 8/10
Strategy Informer gave it 8/10
PC.MMGN.com gives it 8/10
Hardcoregamer gives it 4/5
More reviews

Links
Tony's blog, co-founder of Revolution & programmer on the game
Devkit featuring various images if you want to make avatars, etc.
Support FAQ for those experiencing problems with the game

Thanks to Family Fry and Shiggy for help in making the OT
A big thank you to all who provided to the kickstarter, this game wouldn't have seen the light of day without you all!

Jucksalbe

Banned
Oh, I didn't know this was coming to Vita, too. I might pick up that version.
Though, honestly, I'm a bit behind on the series. I only ever finished the first game, played all the others, but stopped playing all of them at some point. I should probably finish those first.

Terra_Ex

Currently marathoning through BS 1-4 in a desperate bid to refresh my memory on the series before this entry releases (still only on BS1 with only a few days to go). Glad I backed it and I'm really looking forward to playing it.

Grew up with this series, so couldn't help but get the $500 collectors box from Kickstarter to show some thanks.

But I won't have time to play it till Christmas, so ducking out before the spoilers get me.

KurowaSan

Linux version here. My nvidia card is quite old and I thought for sure I wouldn't be able to run it. Decided to try anyway and, to my surprise, runs pretty smoothly, so props to Revolution for that. I haven't finished the beta quite yet, but music, artwork, dialog, humor... it definitely feels like Broken Sword. So happy I was able to be one of the backers. It's actually my first backed project!

Broken Sword 2 was such a hardslog compared to the first Broken Sword. It'll be interesting how they do BS5, considering BS3 and 4 didn't seem to be well received.

Midou

Broken Sword 2 was such a hardslog compared to the first Broken Sword. It'll be interesting how they do BS5, considering BS3 and 4 didn't seem to be well received.

Personally I loved 1 and 3, and I still enjoyed 2 even though it was more of the same from 1. I didn't hate 4, but I forgot everything about it within a week of finishing.

I have some faith at least.

BS2 was smooth sailing, except that maze in the jungle.

I'll pick up BS5 once both parts are released.

Yeah, I should put 'hardslog' into context. It was hard to stay awake while playing it. Everything was so flat comapred to BS1. The humor, the characters, the puzzles... really flat.

Tizoc

BS2 was smooth sailing, except that maze in the jungle.

I'll pick up BS5 once both parts are released.

Umm why not just get it now and then when the 2nd ep. is out, you play it?
It's $20 on gog.com, cheaper than Steam atm.

Great to see an OP for my GOTY

Yeah, I should put 'hardslog' into context. It was hard to stay awake while playing it. Everything was so flat comapred to BS1. The humor, the characters, the puzzles... really flat.

I agree, but probably due to it being compared to the first game which was truly exceptional, rather than the second being that bad a game. The first have infinite replayability for me while I don't really go back to the second (though I have replayed it a couple of times over the years).

Tizoc

I'd like to apologize for some of the info in the OP. As is all I know of is the PC release date, I have yet to find any info about the Vita ver. or if the Linux and Mac versions are released within in the same day or period.

Gangxxter

Great job Tizoc! Subscribed!

Linux and Mac versions will be released on the same date as the Windows version. The Beta is also available for Linux and Mac now. Price for those versions is also the same as the Windows version. In fact, on GOG.com you'll get both Windows & Mac version for $24.99 and on Steam the game is a SteamPlay title, so you get it for all three platforms.

I think it is also worth to emphasize more, that the title will be released as two episodes. Episode 1 will be released on December 4th while Episode 2 will follow in January 2014. For now, you can only pre-order the bundle of both episodes for $24.99, but the episodes will be also sold separately for $14.99 each.

The latest word on the release date of the Vita version is still December 2013 (first episode obviously). Each episode should also come to Android and iOS shortly after each PC release, but as you've correctly pointed out, both versions might be delayed till January 2014. There is a better post on that matter on Tony's blog but I can't find it right now.

You could also link to the official Digital Press Kit with a lot of goodies: http://www.revolution.co.uk/bs5_PR_assets
And of course a link to Tony's blog: http://tonyrevdev.tumblr.com/ He is the Co-Founder of Revolution and one of the main programmers. You can ask him questions directly there and he responds to nearly all questions.

Oh yeah, a word about languages: The game will be available with speech in English, German and French and additionally subtitles in Italian and Spanish.
Speech in Italian and Spanish as well as subtitles in Russian and Polish will follow once the second Episode is released

Maybe I'll make some banners later if you need some ;) And thanks for quoting me with my thoughts on the Beta :D

Veggy

I really hope they announce the release date for the vita version soon, seems like the perfect way to play the game!

JeTmAn81

I recently finished a playthrough of the original game on Android (thanks, Humble Bundle!). I was really impressed by the sumptuous artwork, amusing characters and interesting puzzles and locales. I will definitely be checking the new game out.

Ashok

Banned
Loved the art style and animation in the demo. My only complaint was the low resolution, but I can easily let that slide if the story is good.

Shiggy

Thanks for at least someone making an OT!

Concerning releasedates:
The first part of the game will debut on PC / Mac / Linux through Steam, GOG.com, and Revolution’s own website store on December 4th, with a PlayStation Vita version to follow later in the month. The concluding part of the game will be published on PC in January 2014. iOS and Android versions will follow shortly after each PC episode.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I need this as soon as I can get it!

There's something weird the way the 3D character models look against the beautiful 2D backgrounds. They 'pop' and not in a good way, I'm conflicted in the choice.

I still want to check it out though, love me some Broken Sword.

Gangxxter

Hope I updated the first post properly, as I'm half asleep atm =P
Go to bed and update the OP tomorrow :p

There's something weird the way the 3D character models
look against the beautiful 2D backgrounds. They 'pop' and not in a good way, I'm conflicted in the choice.
When you play the game this is not a problem, the characters fit in very well. Only in the cutscenes/close-ups it's a little bit off but not that much.

When you play the game this is not a problem, the characters fit in very well. Only in the cutscenes/close-ups it's a little bit off but not that much.

This. It looks really good when you play it.

The only negative thing I have seen so far of the beta is that some animations for people running look a bit off, and that it looks a bit stiff when characters go from standing/sitting still to another when you interact with them. Otherwise it feels great - art style, all other animations, dialogue, puzzles, story, inteface - all good.

Thanks for the OT Tizoc, you've done a great job.

One thing that needs to be said about revolution is they got the job done and have done a great job from what I can see so far. The game was Kickstarted September 22nd and we're playing it December 2013, fantastic turn around.

I'm so glad they got the chance to develop another via Kickstarted, through all the people who supported with donations and wanted to see a new game in the series.

When I played the demo and saw George and Nico, it was like seeing a couple of old friends I had dearly missed and thought I would never see again. Can't wait to go on another adventure with them.

Green Yoshi

My most expected game in 2013 (after GTA V).

GamersGlobal.de will publish its review tomorrow, so I guess the embargo ends on monday.

mandiller

I backed the game but haven't got a steam code or anything. Has anyone received that yet? It would he nice to preload the game

My most expected game in 2013 (after GTA V).

GamersGlobal.de will publish its review tomorrow, so I guess the embargo ends on monday.

Oh nice, I look forward to reading some reviews. I expect it to be well received given the responses and feedback from members here who've played the demo.

nny

Can't wait; as I booted the "beta" (aka demo), I felt all warm and fuzzy inside when I saw the good old hand icon pointing at a side of the screen.

inm8num2

Can't wait; as I booted the "beta" (aka demo), I felt all warm and fuzzy inside when I saw the good old hand icon pointing at a side of the screen.

I'm still wondering why they didn't do a proper beta with their $50+ backers as indicated during the KS and did a demo preview instead.

Maybe they'll do a proper beta for part 2 of the game?

epmode

I guess I'll cross post from the adventure game thread:

(after ~20 minutes with the beta)

Game seems to run at 720p with no resolution options. It still looks good on my monitor so I'm happy.

I'm surprised that the characters are sprites. I haven't followed the development of the game and I assumed that they were pasting 3D models over 2D backgrounds. It works pretty well regardless. I like how the lighting on your sprite changes when you walk into different areas.

As for the game, it's just like old times. Beautiful backgrounds, good music, lots of observational comments from George, etc.

I suggest switching to the classic controls if you're playing on a PC. There are a few too many clicks required with the new UI. It's clearly designed with tablets in mind.

As a backer, can I redeem my contribution against a Vita version of the game? I don't honestly recall receiving an email asking which version I'd like to claim.

genbatzu

As a backer, can I redeem my contribution against a Vita version of the game? I don't honestly recall receiving an email asking which version I'd like to claim.

i thought the same, but since they never mentioned a vita version in any of the reward tiers, i assume its pc key only for backers ~

I'll buy the vita version although, i've backed.

a Broken Sword / Baphomets Fluch (german title xD) Complete Collection for PSVita, including 2.5, would be great *_*

Famassu

Probably not. You backed the PC/Linux/Mac version. Usually console versions are a bit more expensive, I think the costs involved getting your game on platform holders' services is a bit more costly (someone can correct me if I'm wrong?) so often even Kickstarters might, say, offer PC version for 10$ and a console/handheld version for 15$.

Fair enough; I'll probably wait until both versions are out before buying then. I wanted to help get the game made as much as play it myself (not actually the biggest fan of point & clicks like this even though I've played several of them over the years *don't hate me!*), and I've been a fan of Revolution ever since In Cold Blood on the PS1, but they always seem to have got the short end of the stick when it comes to publisher support.

Tizoc

My guess is that an initial first playthrough MIGHT take upwards of 8-10 hours where you're exploring, speaking with NPCs and solving puzzles. This is per Episode of course. Either way, it'll be $20 well spent for me per system I buy it for XP

Top Bottom