• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brooklyn council hopeful calls Arab foe a "radical cleric." He's a Lutheran pastor.

NEO0MJ

Ok.

I'm done here, I posted some of the results that popped up for me in a google news search and already said it also refers to Muslim religious leaders. But obviously some media do refer to pastors as cleric because, well there are articles.

Maybe you're heart was in the right place, but as shown above cleric is overwhelming used to describe Muslim preachers so it's hard to give the man the benefit of the doubt, especially based on the organization he belongs to.

wandering

Banned
Essentially every single time the phrase "radical cleric" has been used in the past several years it has been in reference to Islam, so it's impossible to divorce that context from its use here when the man targeted is Arab.

It's like when people called Obama a thug. You really gonna reach for that defense that it's used on white people sometimes?

Codeblue

I'd like to add that even the word "Radical" is typically reserved for non-whites.

Even Westboro is referred to as "controversial", "conservative", or at best "hateful" by media.

Arab identity and Muslim identity are not the same thing, but they're often conflated in the west, especially by racists, except when it's convenient for them to talk about Christian Arabs. In this case, the fact that the Arab is Christian is not so convenient.

I'd like to add that even the word "Radical" is typically reserved for non-whites.

Even Westboro is referred to as "controversial", "conservative", or at best "hateful" by media.

Yeah, it's apparently become too judgmental to even call out fundamentalism in Christian sects.

Ok.

I'm done here, I posted some of the results that popped up for me in a google news search and already said it also refers to Muslim religious leaders. But obviously some media do refer to pastors as cleric because, well there are articles.

Semantic arguing over the religious mindshare of the word 'cleric' is also going to look like you're caping for an obvious racist in the context of this news, in case you were unclear on why you're getting the reaction you got.

Gattsu25

Banned
Ok.

I'll back you up a bit because a search through mobile does show a couple of Christian references, but you're being disingenuous in trying to claim they are interchangeable between Islam and Christianity in the mainstream.

It's much more closely associated with Muslims and Islam. I feel you know this but you made a silly mistake and now you're reaching at obscure sites to try and validate your original post.

It's okay to admit you were wrong.
http://lmgtfy.com/?t=i&q="radical+cleric"

How far down did you guys have to scroll before you found your examples?

Jackpot

Banned
Are people really denying that applying "radical cleric" to an arab isn't a dogwhistle? What sheltered life must you lead to be this "colourblind"?

Top Bottom