• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brutal death scenes in old games *NSFW*

CookTrain

Where's Mortal Kombat in all of this? I know it's famous and tired cliche and all that..

... but you're still ripping spines out and crushing MULTIPLE ribcages out of people.

agc

hqdefault.jpg

I mean, everything in this game basically gave me nightmares, but I always get creeped out when characters die during battles, and their corpse just sits there in such a disturbing pose.

Seriously, this game creeped me the hell out as a child, lol.

What game is this?

the mark

hqdefault.jpg

I mean, everything in this game basically gave me nightmares, but I always get creeped out when characters die during battles, and their corpse just sits there in such a disturbing pose.

Ah it's THIS game.

hqdefault.jpg

Name of the game?

Nakasan

Story time. My dad bought this on clearance at Office Depot over 20-years ago. He played it, I watched. He got to this part, saw the blood, looked at me and said: "well, this is going back to the store."

Haha, that's funny and really quite sweet!

Justinh

Hmmm, I remember Manhunter: San Francisco being a lot more... gory when I was a kid.

Maybe it was because I was young back then and even this stuff bothered me.
sGZA6eH.gif

8iDNccU.gif

I thought there was a specific death that really stuck out though, like... something with a melting face? I dunno.

This rings a bell. What's the name of the game?

That's Ninja Gaiden (the arcade version)

CHC

hqdefault.jpg

What is this?

Vibranium

Banned
eimage2.jpg

Ben meets quite a gruelling end courtesy of Dr Birkin. Or Chief Irons if you're playing as Claire.

That being said, all the deaths in the early Resident Evil's were quite hardcore.

2577965-1332569895-nemes.gif

Ben's death in Leon A (not the B scenario) is fucking insane, it's some Alien shit. His body literally splits apart and a G-embryo creature implanted by Birkin emerges.

I want to see this in RE2make, Capcom had better not wimp out. Same with Birkin's mutations, make it gory.

Squarehard

Fuck man, looks amazing. Is there any kind of translation available?

Yeah, the character designs were done by Koji Aihara, who had a knack for this kind of art style in his manga.

I know there were some fan translations a few years back, but it was never completed, so pretty much a full game translation is still missing in action.

Here's some more confusing and funny images of my childhood with this game,
img_11

And yes, you are battling words, LOL!
maka154.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

maka343.jpg

Good times...good times...

mclem

Eye of the Beholder is striking, not least because it's the only death scene of any significance; normal enemies just blip out of existence, as does the final boss if you just kill him through damage. If you kill him the way the story leads you to, however, you get a wand with the ability to force him backwards... at which point you can do this

woopWOOP

To this day I never played this game because I just can't deal with these chomping doors of gory death. Too nerve wrecking to watch someone else play too, lol
Even worse were the traps
lemmingstrap.gif

I specifically remember one trap grabbing a Lemming by the leg, swing the poor guy all over the place until he gets slammed to the ground and crushed by a boulder. It made me feel extra bad for them.

Lemmings 2 had some nasty traps too
lemmings2trap.gif

Some people have already mentioned Moonstone on the Amiga, one of the first games that came to mind.
Kinda hard to find any gifs of it, but it's pretty great in motion.

BnGL4Fn.gif

StayDead

Heart of Darkness never should've been a game for kids. That game was terrifying and also really grusome for an E for Everyone game.

BTails

Hmmm, I remember Manhunter: San Francisco being a lot more... gory when I was a kid.

Maybe it was because I was young back then and even this stuff bothered me.

I thought there was a specific death that really stuck out though, like... something with a melting face? I dunno.

I never thought I'd live the day to see someone post my avatar source!! I love the Manhunter games, and you're not wrong, there are some totally gore moments. Just from San Fransisco alone, here are some memorable ones:

38-sf059.gif

69-sf100.gif

(This one is creepier in context: basically, you're just found the body of a werewolf who died drinking a fake "cure"; next to the body scrawled in blood is written "me be man again someday"

29-sf401.gif

7-sf812.gif

Justinh

I never thought I'd live the day to see someone post my avatar source!! I love the Manhunter games, and you're not wrong, there are some totally gore moments. Just from San Fransisco alone, here are some memorable ones:

Man, I remember getting so mad because I had no idea what to do in the sewer! I guess I wasn't smart enough to see that they gave you a pretty big clue on how to navigate it beforehand (I didn't find this out until like... a year or two ago?).

69-sf100.gif

(This one is creepier in context: basically, you're just found the body of a werewolf who died drinking a fake "cure"; next to the body scrawled in blood is written "me be man again someday"

Fuck man, that's heavy...

Sierra comes to mind. Not always brutal but pretty savage for point and click adventures.

Quest for Glory I
JiTaINP.gif

Laura Bow: The Dagger of Amon Ra
giphy.gif

Leisure Suit Larry
giphy.gif

Quest for Glory IV had my favorite deaths (and was my favorite game overall) just for the amazing puns, but the death descriptions were all quite brutal too. This one though in particular really freaked me out as a kid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Id-aF2vHdFc&t=4m36s

Top Bottom