• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brutal death scenes in old games *NSFW*

moeman

His censored fatality is hilarious

tumblr_o3lsaq1rSB1sts23eo1_400.gif

😳

It's not just that they made it white. They actually put effort into making it look milky lmao.

Seik

Banned
b9c4283b7d2513fd7fdb5c42105d3d34.gif

On a more serious note, Brad Vickers death scene from RE3. I was so young back then (around 10 I think?) that it got me making nightmares about Nemesis a couple of times. :lol

tumblr_nwy2ly4uyA1qjztgpo1_400.gif

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
fnA0brg.gif

Parasite Eve. This scene always stuck with me as a kid.

Yeah Parasite Eve was SE's first M title and it was truly gory back at that time.

Another gory gif:

latest

Dural

TZ_gRI.gif

jm38iD.gif

As a 9 year old NARC blew my mind with the exploding drug dealers, absolutely loved it on the NES.

Story time. My dad bought this on clearance at Office Depot over 20-years ago. He played it, I watched. He got to this part, saw the blood, looked at me and said: "well, this is going back to the store."

Your family Mormon? Only ask cause had a similar experience with a friend when I was a kid. I went over to their house and we were playing my copy of MK and I showed him the blood cheat. His mom flipped out on us when she came in and saw what we were playing. I was sent home and she wouldn't give me my game. I remember the next day their parents and my parents were having a discussion at our kitchen table when I got home from school. They all stared at me when I walked in the door. Out of the corner off my eye my copy of MK was there on the table and I was like oh shit, busted.

They soon left and I was chilling in my room awaiting the aftermath. My dad busted in, said "here's your game, don't play it around Matt or his parents anymore". Then my Dad left my room....came back and asked "that the fighting game I watch you and your cousin play at the cabin?".....I was like "ya." My Dad laughed turned around and left....lol. I wasn't really friends with Matt anymore, but I'm convinced family home evening they had Sunday nights was a constant ritual where they gathered in their living room to pray for my soul.

Maddrical

Sierra comes to mind. Not always brutal but pretty savage for point and click adventures.

Quest for Glory I
JiTaINP.gif

Huh. That Quest for Glory gif has ended a decade long search for that game. I played it as a kid and never completed it, loved it though. I seem to remember a cave with an ogre or something in it, might be the scene in the gif in the snow? Gonna have to play it tonight.

EDIT: The first game I wasn't allowed to play due to the 'gore' was a vampire hunter game on the C64. Not sure what it's called. It was a top down game IIRC. I was super young, don't really remember.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
In his defense GOW III is over 7 years old at this point.

This game was released in 2010, over 7 years ago. Pretty old tbh. For some PS2 era is old, for others c64. OP should clarify, maybe until 32 or 64 bit.

I would have thought the examples OP showed and the trend of examples from other people would have been enough.

Dice//

Banned
Leon and the meat grinder in Resident Evil 6... the way his head gets jerked forward at first.... then even the enemy goes in with you as you 'take the plunge'...
B_rDGx.gif

https://youtu.be/Iv3mgtF-wh0 Full thing (while that cow stands and watches)

EDIT: OLD games...dammit. Ah well, still worth a watch, and the game's 'only' 5 yrs old

Squarehard

This is fucking nuts. What was this game about?

It really was.

The plot was a pretty basic, hero must defeat a evil being reborn, so he goes on an adventure, and meets random people that also wants to help, and then very odd side stories and characters that add on to the fun.

It was certainly meant to be humorous, and very goofy, albeit the designs didn't really hit that mark as well. Maybe the best way to describe is a cross between Breath of Fire II and Earthbound, which might take some work to imagine, but that's probably the best way to explain it, lol.

The game development also has a pretty funny backstory, as this was the last game the studio made, because the version of the game that was released was technically the beta version, but they fell behind and thought releasing it a bit glitchy would've been alright. Little did they know. XD

I still had a blast with it, but clearly a lot of people didn't enjoy all the issues, lol.

But yes, if you're ever able to get a hold of the translated version, I'd recommend playing it at least if you like RPGs, and into the obscure type of game such as this one.

Myth The Fallen Lords and Myth 2 Soulblighter had amazing gore/gibs. Body parts would fly through the air from explosion, hit other units and do tiny bits of damage. Body parts could be picked up by Ghols and thrown, like the Wights puss body parts to stun people and blood flowed downhill.

n8r2MZs.gif

3-crowsbridge_small.gif

Games deserving of a rerelease

I never thought I'd live the day to see someone post my avatar source!! I love the Manhunter games, and you're not wrong, there are some totally gore moments. Just from San Fransisco alone, here are some memorable ones:

38-sf059.gif

69-sf100.gif

(This one is creepier in context: basically, you're just found the body of a werewolf who died drinking a fake "cure"; next to the body scrawled in blood is written "me be man again someday"

29-sf401.gif

7-sf812.gif

Damn that werewolf one hits hard

It seems tame compared to the other stuff in the thread... But Prince of Persia was my first game, i was 6 years old and i always called my mother to just pass those trap because the death animation terrified me.

Prince of Persia messed me up too and I don't think it's tame because it's not comically exaggerated like the others. It was just brutal

JoV

Cannon Fodder had guys screaming on the ground till you put them out of their misery. Bit controversial at the time iirc

GUzBeMb.jpg

and of course the famous murder scene from the start of Ultima 7

0RXnmYu.jpg

Melchiah

I played that on Amiga, and loved the hilarious death animations.

tumblr_npnave8m9n1u9d4dscc.gif
tumblr_npnave8m9n1u9d0wsrr.gif
tumblr_npnave8m9n1u9dq2sfi.gif
tumblr_npnave8m9n1u9dm6s9w.gif

Great idea for a thread!

Here's a classic one from Barbarian:
ludophiles-barbarian-c64-head-chop-gif.17695

And one from its sequel:
barbarian2mwj4p.gif

fr26.png

This pic from the Commodore 64 version of Friday The 13th looks quite tame, but it always pops up unexpectedly, accompanied by this blood-curdling scream from hell. Nearly gave me a heart attack.

I remember playing that as a child as well. Good times.

Here's a couple of gory gifs from the C64's controversial (and awful) Commando Libya:
commando_libya_05pou2i.gif
qorura2kup5.gif

To my recollection, you got those execution sequences as a "reward" for beating a level.

zashga

The game over scene from Heroes of Might & Magic 3 always seemed kinda intense to me, since the gameplay wasn't graphic at all:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCu-2Kh7vzE

I think the person being guillotined is supposed to be the player, since it doesn't really look like any of the characters in game and doesn't change regardless of what faction/hero you're playing.

Jack cw

I would have thought the examples OP showed and the trend of examples from other people would have been enough.
Nothing wrong in bringing in new examples to an discussion unless you want to rule them out, but then do it properly to avoid questions. And the term "old games" varies hugely in its range of meanings. Context alone in an open discussion were only the last few pages are read is not how this board works.

petran79

Banned
Ecstatica was the first game to combine cute graphics, adult violence and humor and frontal nudity

Death scenes were gruesome, mostly involving impalement

Ecstatica_(1994)(Psygnosis)-5.png

006.jpg

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Top Bottom