• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brutal death scenes in old games *NSFW*

Sylfurd

Ecstatica was the first game to combine cute graphics, adult violence and humor and frontal nudity

Death scenes were gruesome, mostly involving impalement

Ecstatica_(1994)(Psygnosis)-5.png

006.jpg

giphy.gif

giphy.gif
Wow, the animations are really great for such an old game ! I don't thinks I've ever seen videos of it, I think I will wathc some reviews on YT.

dl77

Dreamweb had some really disturbing scenes

giphy.gif

I was going to put this in if no-one else had.

I remember Smash TV being really violent for the time it was released.

tumblr_m0588vrZ9V1qk26dzo1_500.gif

Does Carmageddon count? It was violent but so ludicrous I'm not sure it qualifies!

Carmageddon-Game-Picture.jpg

retroman

Here's a couple of gory gifs from the C64's controversial (and awful) Commando Libya:
commando_libya_05pou2i.gif
qorura2kup5.gif

To my recollection, you got those execution sequences as a "reward" for beating a level.
Holy smoke, I might've played this game at a friend's place about three decades ago! Forgot all about it until I saw those GIFs.

mabec

So impressed this thread came this far and not a single Mortal Kombat gif, I guess thats to easy.

And yes, Carmageddon counts

W58doZR.gif

dl77

Ecstatica was the first game to combine cute graphics, adult violence and humor and frontal nudity

giphy.gif

I remember buying that and having to install it from something like 15 floppy disks because CD drives were fairly recent and I couldn't afford one!

Pierru

Neo Member
On Amstrad, there was Infernal Runner, the first game from Eric Chahi (the guy behind Another World and From Dust)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RsMGQZsA0M

You could get electrified, desintegrated by laser beams, exploded by landmines, pierced by spikes, eaten by monsters, etc.

And if I remember correctly, if you manage to finish the game (which was pretty hard), it's far from a happy ending.

Melchiah

Woorloog

Banned
Huh, older games tend to have far more gruesome and disturbing deaths than newer games. It has been a very long time since i've had any kind of reaction to gore, and the first gif (Waxworks) in this thread made me rise an eyebrow. And some of those Fallout 1/2 deaths... somehow never seen them all.

Stuff like Manhunt, God of War and Soldier of Fortune look kinda tame compared to what was.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Heart of Darkness was the first game I played on my very own PC, a Time PC which cost about £2000 and was fucking awful, it took 2 years to pay off in instalments. After that I started to build my own and never went back. Bit of a nostalgia bomb seeing those gifs.

woopWOOP

I just remembered Fist of the North Star on NES was a thing. Atleast it was a thing on this bootleg cartridge my neighbours had. Punching dudes in half freaked me out so I only did the kick attack that sends enemies flying off screen.

tumblr_obhyw9xBbh1s6ufhfo1_400.gif

A lot of these are so over the top that they're more amusing than anything else. The Ninja Gaiden gif, on the other hand, is like one step away from Private Mellish's death in Saving Private Ryan. It's the psychological horror of knowing that pain/death are coming and you have no control over it.

As a kid, I always remember being impressed with the gib effects in Rise of the Triad: Dark War. I think there even used to be a code to turn it up to 11. The eyeballs falling in front of the screen is something I still remember.

rott_gibs.gif

Hard to find any good gifs on this one.

Mr Git

I have no know-how, so if anyone could make a gif out of this amazing beheading scene from Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain (just the beheading and the head rolling off, 0:20-0:24), I'd be very, very grateful ^_^

(spoilers obv.)

https://youtu.be/6fD8eNhv7M4?t=19

I don't care how dated the CG is: that remains my favourite video game cut scene of all time. It's completely unapologetic, no fade to black/cut to a shadow/any kind of self-censorship, yet without any stupid tacky edginess. And holy shit it's satisfying, that piece of shit really deserved it. :) Oh and it has my favourite track from the game too, Awakening to the World

That's probably my favourite line in Blood Omen, but I am dead.. as are you. In game full of good lines. I used to watch that cutscene a lot with an action replay. xD

dl77

i loved this game when i was like 9. so hard

Funny thing is I remember when The Immortal originally came out it was nowhere near as graphic. It was only when it was ported to the Megadrive that they added in the close up death sequences.

Mr Git

Death scenes were gruesome, mostly involving impalement

Ecstatica_(1994)(Psygnosis)-5.png

I loved this game and the sequel even more. The first was definitely hamstrung when I played it as it was at my dad's and his PC at the time had no sound. Same experience for the original AITD.

Do the many, many brutal deaths in Conker's Bad Fur Day count? Including that live dissection sequence that was cut late in development but is still on the leaked trade show cart?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
That's probably my favourite line in Blood Omen, but I am dead.. as are you. In game full of good lines. I used to watch that cutscene a lot with an action replay. xD
Mine too! <3 Such a good line. And you could use the "diary" option in the menu to re-watch all the cut-scenes, I'd do that all the time with this one. :D

More Blood Omen gifs (wish I had one of Kain using the Blood Shower or the Lightning spell haha, or even the Flay or Implode items):

Blood%2BOmen%2B2.gif

s645431509ed306de3f6266e3674c8b45.jpg

blood_omen_02.jpg
hqvahwO.png

Nosgotham

Funny thing is I remember when The Immortal originally came out it was nowhere near as graphic. It was only when it was ported to the Megadrive that they added in the close up death sequences.

i only played the sega version. it wasnt til way later in my life that i saw there were other versions lol

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
This one screwed me up as a kid... and still does. Phantasmagoria.

1501545699179468.gif

1501546457179427.gif

Only 1 of 15 or so gruesome deaths in the game.
The only game ever to prevent me sleeping. I refuse to replay it to this day, it's not only gory but psychologically traumatizing.

rec0ded1

Sword of sodan genesis version had a ton of gore hype in magazines. Friend got it and we returned it in about half an hour back when electronics boutique allowed returns because it was so shitty.

BPvALfK.gif

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
ITT: Fellow old farts.

Man, Sierra was just plain mean spirited back in the day. Even lighthearted games like Larry were low key savage.

Myth The Fallen Lords and Myth 2 Soulblighter had amazing gore/gibs. Body parts would fly through the air from explosion, hit other units and do tiny bits of damage. Body parts could be picked up by Ghols and thrown, like the Wights puss body parts to stun people and blood flowed downhill.

n8r2MZs.gif

3-crowsbridge_small.gif

I loved, *loved* the gibbing and simple strategy of Myth and Myth 2. Alas, those games have not aged well at all :(

Top Bottom