• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brutal death scenes in old games *NSFW*

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
ITT: Fellow old farts.

Man, Sierra was just plain mean spirited back in the day. Even lighthearted games like Larry were low key savage.

I loved, *loved* the gibbing and simple strategy of Myth and Myth 2. Alas, those games have not aged well at all :(

whaaaaaat they still play fine started a new campaign for myth 2 like 3 weeks ago game still plays perfectly fine very few things feel clunky

Selddon

Banned
nln4dmK.gif

bloody mess

FinKL

I just remembered Fist of the North Star on NES was a thing. Atleast it was a thing on this bootleg cartridge my neighbours had. Punching dudes in half freaked me out so I only did the kick attack that sends enemies flying off screen.

tumblr_obhyw9xBbh1s6ufhfo1_400.gif
lol I remember this! I couldn't tell as a kid if the NES cartridge was glitched or if enemies needed to explode like that. Guess that solves that mystery

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
whaaaaaat they still play fine started a new campaign for myth 2 like 3 weeks ago game still plays perfectly fine very few things feel clunky

I feel like the (very) clunky animations work against it. I can go back to pixels, but controlling a army shaking like Pete Doherty after a shot of bad skag feels really detrimental. I can't deal with that coarseness, unlike with classic Command & Conquer, which remains very smooth.

Wag

Nothing like
//static1.squarespace.com/static/566d855a841abafcc8ed19c4/t/566daa47e0327c1e77904714/1450027593603
To really clue me in on what game this is

It's an old Apple II game called The Bilestoad where you had to kill your opponent by dismembering them.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
I feel like the (very) clunky animations work against it. I can go back to pixels, but controlling a army shaking like Pete Doherty after a shot of bad skag feels really detrimental. I can't deal with that coarseness, unlike with classic Command & Conquer, which remains very smooth.

myth feels slow and deliberate a lot of splitting and kiting enemies around to set up ambushes and traps and trying to keep as many of your men alive as possible
i will concede that the grouping and getting everyone in formation feels clunky and could use some work

as for animation quality its not that terrible could use more variation instead of just turning side to side in like 2-3 frames

As a kid, I always remember being impressed with the gib effects in Rise of the Triad: Dark War. I think there even used to be a code to turn it up to 11. The eyeballs falling in front of the screen is something I still remember.

rott_gibs.gif

Hard to find any good gifs on this one.
/EKG mode! (Stands for extra kill gore!). I remember my youthful eyes loved seeing like four heads explode out of a single person

Darkwater

Interesting, don't think I ever saw the first two.

With that name and avatar? I'm a little surprised.

Anyway, the Lieutenant's death animation is the only one he has, I think. Maybe if you knock him down first and then kill him, you get the standard 'pool of blood forms under body' death. That'd be a letdown compared to this one, though.

The Vault Dweller shooting the Overseer is what happens when you have the Bloody Mess trait. Kind of odd that something unrelated like that decides how the very end of the story goes. Wonder what they were thinking there.

Edit:
What's this first death animation? Don't remember seeing it.

It's this fight in the Military Base.

krumble

This one screwed me up as a kid... and still does. Phantasmagoria.

1501545699179468.gif

1501546457179427.gif

Only 1 of 15 or so gruesome deaths in the game.

Roberta Williams REALLY Showed us how twisted she was with Phantasmagoria - I'd just bought a gaming PC when this came out and I LOVED IT sooo much being a huge horror fan in the first place

petran79

Banned
Huh, older games tend to have far more gruesome and disturbing deaths than newer games. It has been a very long time since i've had any kind of reaction to gore, and the first gif (Waxworks) in this thread made me rise an eyebrow. And some of those Fallout 1/2 deaths... somehow never seen them all.

Stuff like Manhunt, God of War and Soldier of Fortune look kinda tame compared to what was.

back then computer developers didnt have to worry about angry moms and console ports

those monster transformations in Parasite Eve did indeed disturb me a bit back in the day.

also this thread is kind of amazing. I want to thank so many people here for their horrifying contributions.

Ravelle

The only game ever to prevent me sleeping. I refuse to replay it to this day, it's not only gory but psychologically traumatizing.

I watched my dad play this and a way too young age, the part in which there were hands coming out of the bed to grab her and someone force breeding animal guts with a funnel scared the hell out of me.

Like milk

xza3aGH.gif

Even for today standards this is hardcore.

I also believe there's no villain more twisted and evil than Zoltan. I mean, shit.

phantas-9.png

WrBDoU.gif

Alric

ITT: Fellow old farts.

Man, Sierra was just plain mean spirited back in the day. Even lighthearted games like Larry were low key savage.

I loved, *loved* the gibbing and simple strategy of Myth and Myth 2. Alas, those games have not aged well at all :(

Yeah I disagree, it still plays great to me. There is a place like ProjectMagma that still updates the game and has put out HD textures for the games some patches back.

I watched my dad play this and a way too young age, the part in which there were hands coming out of the bed to grab her and someone force breeding animal guts with a funnel scared the hell out of me.

Like milk

xza3aGH.gif

Even for today standards this is hardcore.

I also believe there's no villain more twisted and evil than Zoltan. I mean, shit.

phantas-9.png

WrBDoU.gif

Yeah, even now, so many years later, Phantasmagoria is still some nasty, gory stuff. Blood? Sure. A little cutting here and there? Sure. Most slasher flicks of the 80s and 90s aren't that bad. This, though, was and still is grotesque. The stuff of nightmares. Back when it was first out, of course, my teenage self was enjoying how gross and edgy it was, but now...

JNT

Ugh. Why is it so difficult to find the original gibbing animation of the former humans and imps from Doom?

Anyway, here's some disturbing gore from Doom 2:

30.gif

My friends and I used to pause PSX Doom to check out all the different animation stages for the extremely gory splatter effect when you hit the pistol/shotgun guys with rocket splash damage.

They apparently explode kind of inside-outward, can't find a gif now either.

Speaking of Doom, Brutal Doom (I know, I know, not exactly old, but it's a mod for a 24 year old game so I'm counting it) has some pretty amazing kills.

tumblr_o80pdbPfzN1vv8g0do1_500.gif

Justinh

Ugh. Why is it so difficult to find the original gibbing animation of the former humans and imps from Doom?

Anyway, here's some disturbing gore from Doom 2:

You mean like this?
lAP65xD.gif

Because yeah, it was one of my favorite things about Doom when I was younger, lol...

Surprised I haven't seen any GIFs from the Clock Tower games. But to be fair I can't recall if the deaths were so much brutal as they were terrifying when you got caught / stuck lol

Somnid

As a kid, I always remember being impressed with the gib effects in Rise of the Triad: Dark War. I think there even used to be a code to turn it up to 11. The eyeballs falling in front of the screen is something I still remember.

rott_gibs.gif

Hard to find any good gifs on this one.

ludicrous gibs!

Also, not a lot of people noticed but the hands that fly around give the middle finger.

Top Bottom