• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bubsy: The Woolies Strike Back launches October 31 with PS4 physical limited edition

Man this is so much a reskin of Giana Sisters Twisted Dreams. The same launch at floating enemies to climb up mechanic.

It's just slower and the Busby is constantly quipping.

What the fuck is that black outfit?

It's Dudsy. The Ultimate Lifeform created by using alien DNA who just has all the abilities of Busby.

dark_bubsy_by_nox_id-d8fd61f.png

Sapiens

After the disappointment of Sonic Mania, it's time for the original 'tude mascot to show Sega how it's done.

Honestly this game's existence depresses me. Like of all the classic platformers that could get revived it had to be fucking Bubsy.

devonodev

Definitely in for the physical edition if it releases in Aus. Wish this wasn't coming out the same time as so many other big games, and a Switch release would be great.

The first Bubsy on SNES is still one of my favorite games, as strange as that is to many lol, but the series went on a downward slope since then. Hopefully this turns out okay.

This...does not look good to play

Wait is this by the Giana Sisters devs?

EDIT: It totally is
yeah, and this looks... not great.

They're own games are more graphically proficient, and look like they play better. I'm glad a good indie team is collecting a paycheck, but this looks like it will delight perhaps only tens of people.

Aku-Audi

I actually played it last night. Now I am a fan of the first game, so I was moderately excited to see how this turned out.

First off, the game's speed and pace is slowed down from the original. Some of you talked about the connection to Giana Sisters (same engine) but it feels faster and controls are a bit more tight. The float mechanic is back from the original, but is used more cleverly to reach hidden locations and help with larger jumps rather than just... Well lead to nothing like in the original game.

The music is both new and refreshing, as well as some remixes from the first game. I know the composer and its a bigger name but I'll let them announce it.

The level design is straight forward with lots of secrets to fill up on yarn. Along the levels are also keys that can be used to open a rewards room at the end of the stage. The more yarn you get, the better rank. The enemy placement and difficulty is pretty balanced, and a lot of the time you gotta bounce off them to reach extras which can make for some challenge and light puzzle solving.

The quips and 'tude is dialed back. Bubsy is a bit chatty, but some of the lines are pretty clever and not cringe at all. Can also just lower the speech volume.

All in all, a good platformer with decent challenge and nice level design. Music is really damn good though.

BigEmil

I don't get why this is getting hate

The original back in the day might be bad yes, but this one seems pretty good and more old school style platformer from gameplay to audio cues, people should at least wait for the game to release and see before just blindly hating on it

MrBS

Just watched the trailer. Wow. I feel like there should be an narration accompanying that footage about what went wrong with a beleaguered kickstarter campaign.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
The original bubsy was horrible, why would anyone want to play a remake?

Crash I get but this? Did they remake it because everyone knew the name of bubsy as a POS game?

I don't get why this is getting hate

The original back in the day might be bad yes, but this one seems pretty good and more old school style platformer from gameplay to audio cues, people should at least wait for the game to release and see before just blindly hating on it
the original was one of the worst games of all time, why would anyone be excited for it now?!

mas8705

sddefault.jpg

WHY?! I just forgot that Bubsy having a game was really happening! But this?! Saying that this is a nightmare is a complete understatement! D:

rjc571

Banned
This is gonna flop so hard, nobody cares about Bubsy (except Ulillillia, if he's still around). The series has a small amount of notoriety, but this is mainly due to the previous games being shitty, so its only real sales potential comes from an extremely small niche of people who may buy it purely as a joke. Whoever greenlit this project has a seriously misguided view of the industry.

So, uh... Pre-orders appear to have gone live through GameStop in North America with both a standard edition ($29.99) and the aforementioned collector's edition in the OP.

Might make for an interesting Halloween celebration!

Kinsei

Banned
If they absolutely had to bring back a shitty retro mascot then it should have been Gex. At least his games were mediocre instead of terrible like Bubsy's.

So, uh... Pre-orders appear to have gone live through GameStop in North America with both a standard edition ($29.99) and the aforementioned collector's edition in the OP.

Might make for an interesting Halloween celebration!
I'm gonna preorder it. Why not. It would be a nice little gimmick to have in my collection.

If this does not have at least one Easter egg referencing Bubsy 3D Visits the James Turrell Retrospective, I will be seriously disappointed.

rjc571

Banned
The first 2 Bubsy games on the 16 bit consoles weren't that bad. They were at worst Crash Bandicoot tier platformers.

No they were shit tier. Some of the worst enemy and obstacle placement to ever grace a platformer. Putting them on the same tier as a top of the line platformer like Crash Bandicoot shows that you have no idea what you're talking about.

Top Bottom