• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bulletstorm Demo Impressions | Up on XBL | [Update: PC Demo Soon]

I have a friend who's buying this to hold him over until DNF comes out, and I'm doing the same because both games look fun as hell and it's been a long time since I've seen a shooter that's just plain fun.

looks great, plays good, speed is slower than i expected. I would like UT3 (console) speed.
I like the combo stuff. Will play the demo some more tonight.

Not sure if i'll be buying this. I think i rather play Killzone 3 personally, but i bet this game can be a bunch of fun with friends.

Now for the Crysis2 demo.

Sectus

Spookie said:
Your score drops quickly if you keep using the same combo. Some are more effective against groups than others. I'm on my 7th play through and still discovering new skillshots.
Does it? I kept doing that "voodoo doll" skillshot over and over since it didn't seem to be worth less when I repeated it.

I'm afraid that the game will ultimately end up being very methodical in how you play it. That you plan out which skillshots to use where and just try to execute that as well as you can. I prefer score based games which is more free form and encourages more improvisation. That was the primary thing I disliked about The Club too. At least the gunplay is a lot more satisfying in this.

.la1n

I was absolutely addicted to the painkiller games on PC as i'm sure a lot of you know when I was defending this game. Played through the demo twice before coming to work and I had an absolute blast, really takes me back to the painkiller days.

Graphics are fantastic, would love to see a demo on PS3 for comparison. Epic made a fantastic port of UE3 to PS3 with Unreal Tournament III so I have faith in them to help out people can fly with that aspect.

The gameplay itself is mindless fun, just try out all the weapons and see what kind of crazy stuff you can pull off. It's kind of like a split/second for the FPS genre if your not familar with the painkiller games. Basically what I mean is, the game is intended to just be insane over the top fun.

Controls are excellent as expected, would love to see a PC port of this. Overall I could not be happier with the demo.

six jagoogles out of karma chamelion would be my rating.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Alright, so demo is dumbfuck Gold only - is PS3 demo going to be PSN+ only or something equally stupid, or will I be able to play this sucker?

Lyphen said:
Alright, so demo is dumbfuck Gold only - is PS3 demo going to be PSN+ only or something equally stupid, or will I be able to play this sucker?

I don't think there's been a PSN+ exclusive demo so far. Only beta stuff.

Spookie

Sectus said:
Does it? I kept doing that "voodoo doll" skillshot over and over since it didn't seem to be worth less when I repeated it.

It starts off at 500 points then drops to 100. You don't get the multis either for doing it. Try lighting someone up with a charged shot at the elevator bit then put out the fires with the elevator. I think I broke well over 1k with that move.

Though yeah you're right I can see the Echos mode being methodical post release.

Gowans

It sets you up for some obvious ways to clear the enemies and move on.

The thing I love about this is the game says through it's scoring "Whooa, slow down Gunslinger, lets make them suffer first".

Love it!

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Vinterbird said:
Nice, thanks. Time to make a trip to my girlfriend's when it releases!

No_Style

Vinterbird said:

There have been PSN+ exclusive early access to demos, but I don't believe there was ever a case when a demo was locked behind PSN+ and Xbox Live! Gold. If it is on both platforms at the same time, the PSN one is available to everyone.

Looking forward to trying it for myself on PS3, but may end up getting it for PC w/ 360 controller.

Z_Y

Queued up this and Crysis 2. Been a long damn time since I have been excited about a demo(s).

As somebody who loved Painkiller back in the day and being a huge Epic fan....I can't see how this could end badly.

angelfly

cleveridea said:
so those who tried both. if u could only get 1, Crysis 2 or Bulletstorm?
Bulletstorm is the clear winner of todays demos for me. The only thing that worries me if how much variety there will be in skill shots.

Fun demo. Must have played through it more than ten times now, just managed to break 10,000. You do have to mix up your skill shots to score well, you also get big points for killing big groups with the charged up secondary shots. The biggest scorer I've found is launching a bunch of enemies in the air with the whip charge, firing the secondary pistol shot to light them all on fire then picking them off midair with headshots. :D It's definitely sold me on the game, seems like the type of game that really shines when you're going for high scores.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Played the demo once.

Before the game came out I expected it to be not for me at all. But the gameplay is definitely there. I had a lot of fun.

But these impressions are based on 10 minutes of game time. I'll keep an eye on the game.

JambiBum

Currently ranked 245. Took me a few tries to get the hang of the combos. Also don't forget to hold the left bumper a few times when using the leash.

One other thing. At the elevator part use your leash on someone right before it gets to them. Gives you a nice bonus.

REV 09

Played through the demo. The gunplay is very solid. the weapons sound and feel meaty. Movement and level layout are all good, the game looks good too. The combos seem to take more skill than i was expecting. Even after seeing many videos and kind of knowing what to do, i wasn't pulling stuff off as gracefully as the footage shows....this is a good thing. The demo is short...about 8-10 minutes. I like it, but i probably won't get it without a few price drops. The story and over-the-top attitude don't do much for me.

Bulletstorm is making a better impression on me than Crysis 2. Then again, I've been playing RE5 Mercs, Vanquish, and The Club recently. Teeny bit of bias.

The Dutch Slayer said:
On the global leaderboards their people on there with 19000+ score and I'm at max 6000
Seriously WTF how are these people doing this :D

i didn't realize there were diminishing returns on overused skillshots. but there are other ways to maximize your points like the rebar, electric lines, whiskey/alch bottle and the overhead door you can open with the whip as soon as you enter the first room

i was pleasantly surprised with the demo and will be picking this game up, now if crysis would finish downloading i could get on that too.

edit: anyone know if you get more points for finishing within the recommended time limit?

Brashnir

Played it.

Liked it.

Will wait for a price drop though. My backlog is too big to devote to playing a game like this over and over for high scores. Definitely seems like it will be a fun playthrough even without taking the time to really rack up scores, and definitely want to pick it up at some point. Should be able to get it cheap by the time BF sales roll around in November.

maxcer0081 said:
edit: anyone know if you get more points for finishing within the recommended time limit?

Yeah you get a time bonus depending on how much under you the limit you are. Biggest time bonus I've got so far was 2000.

I am the only one who thinks the graphics look bad? This is probably because I spend most of my time on the PC and the last time I played the Xbox 360 was when the Dead Space 2 demo came out.

I will play it again but at the moment I'm not that interested in this game. (Yes I did play it correctly.)

zam

Loved the demo, I've been looking forward to this game for a long time (already pre-ordered the Epic Edition), and this demo confirmed my expectations. While the level was pretty short, after multiple playthroughs I was still finding new skillshots. Can only imagine how many there are going to be with more weapons and different environmental dangers.

Hitting a guy with a flail-grenade, then launching him and his buddies into the air with the leash, and then detonating the grenade while they are all in the air never stopped being fun. Can't wait for this game to come out, luckily it's only a month away :D

rezuth

ashbash159 said:
I am the only one who thinks the graphics look bad? This is probably because I spend most of my time on the PC and the last time I played the Xbox 360 was when the Dead Space 2 demo came out.

I will play it again but at the moment I'm not that interested in this game. (Yes I did play it correctly.)
See I might have understood if you had said this about some random shovelware game or if you had said that you didn't like the artstyle but saying that this looks bad is just nuts.

rezuth said:
See I might have understood if you had said this about some random shovelware game or if you had said that you didn't like the artstyle but saying that this looks bad is just nuts.
I just played it again and stared at the environment and watched the stuff at the menu screen and my opinion sticks. I just cannot understand why people think it looks good.

Brashnir

ashbash159 said:
I just played it again and stared at the environment and watched the stuff at the menu screen and my opinion sticks. I just cannot understand why people think it looks good.

If you're expecting PC-level image quality, you're going to be disappointed with any console game. I think it looked pretty good.

If you think it was just ugly all-around, and the PC version won't look good either, well - i just can't understand that, but you're entitled to your opinion.

TheUsual

Gold Member
So I'm trying to download this off of Live, it stopped at 80% and stopped. Now XBL is down. Is it down for anyone else?

TheUsual said:
So I'm trying to download this off of Live, it stopped at 80% and stopped. Now XBL is down. Is it down for anyone else?

i was dl'ing crysis/deadspace2/xbla games and went to check it out and was disconnected from xbl but i was able to sign back in just now.

Anyone have a list of moves you call pull off? Right now I seem to be pulling off the same moves over and over - stuff like pulling them in then kicking them away and shooting em up.

Im not sure what else to do to get the big combos?

G_Berry

Banned
ashbash159 said:

I'm with you, the graphics are pants.

Is this coming out on PC? A bit of AA would go a long way to making this look a lot better.

Edit: This game is just a rip off of the Club lol

Kajiba

Played it. Gorgeous looking game. Combo kills is definitely something that is fun. Not sure if I'll get the game right when it comes out since MvC3 is the week before this game is released. Most likely get it later.

DEADEVIL

Damn..this sucks I have to wait an eternity to get off of work to download Bullet and Crysis..then I know I'll have to wait an eternity before they actually are downloaded onto the system..who cares..free is good..

I set this to download along with the crysis demo while I'm at school. Hopefully it's fun! Reading this thread it seems to be.

Teknoman

burgerdog said:
Do not play this like a regular shooter. I did that during my first playthrough and came out unimpressed. Second time around I played it like PCF has been in all the trailers and it was so much fun.

The funny part is, thats how regular shooters used to work :p Even when playing Turok/Turok 2 or Unreal 1 back in the day, i'd use random weapons just to see how they would effect enemies. I really dont like how most shooters today (first person anyway) kinda force you to stick with two weapons or find a bread and butter combo and go with that.

Started the download before I left for work. I find I'm so excited, I can barely sit still or hold a thought in my head. I think it's the excitement only a free man can feel, a free man at the start of a long journey whose conclusion is uncertain.

DSmalls84

Already had the 360 version reserved so I could get the "epic edition" if I decided to pick this game up. Really liked the demo, and it was fun trying out the whip with all of the different guns.

This game has the same appeal as Vanquish and that's a good thing. I just hope Bulletstorm mixes up the gameplay a little more then Vanquish did.

Top Bottom