• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bulletstorm Demo Impressions | Up on XBL | [Update: PC Demo Soon]

If it wasn't for the juvenile humor I'd say this was a day one purchase. Maybe it's silly to ask for maturity when you're playing an over the top gratuitous gory gib game, but that's just my feeling. I don't mind the braggadocio-based over the top dialog, and I love the overall attitude and characters, but "dick-tits" and "poop-passage" and other lines like that are super cringe worthy. Sure, that's the point, but it really reeks of targeting the middle school market. Not a fan of that.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
RetroGamer42 said:
The gore and profanity was over-the-top to the point of self-parody though. (Maybe that was the point? I admit I haven't been following this game much.) I would prefer an option to tone it down. It wasn't offensive so much as silly.

there's an option to turn off profanity.

TheLegendary said:
If it wasn't for the juvenile humor I'd say this was a day one purchase. Maybe it's silly to ask for maturity when you're playing an over the top gratuitous gory gib game, but that's just my feeling. I don't mind the braggadocio-based over the top dialog, and I love the overall attitude and characters, but "dick-tits" and "poop-passage" and other lines like that are super cringe worthy. Sure, that's the point, but it really reeks of targeting the middle school market. Not a fan of that.
i love the phrase dick tits

TheLegendary said:

I hate to say it, but i was thinking "i'm too old for this shit", a couple of times.
I never think that.. must be the game.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Always-honest said:
I hate to say it, but i was thinking "i'm too old for this shit", a couple of times.

turn voices to 0
put on favorite music'
?????
Profit

Darklord

Banned
TheLegendary said:

They try and make it cheesy silly but it comes off as something aimed at 13 year old's that get a kick out of words like dick and tits and fuck.

Always-honest said:

Yep. Im not pretending to be some high-brow art snob expecting Shakespeare out of my video games...I think I can appreciate a little bit of everything. But it was just really off putting and made me feel silly playing it. Like you, I've never really had that happen before. Everything else I loved about it. Maybe that's hypocritical considering the rest of the game's content but that's the impression the game left me with.

Corky said:
turn voices to 0
put on favorite music'
?????
Profit

Thinking I might just do this if I decide to buy it. Seems like a good podcast game anyway since the focus is on combos and high scores rather than story progression.

Gowans

Guys lighten up, i really like the tone, character & humour.

We could do with more games with giving themself something extra and different.

Just topped 8k whoopp!

Gowans007 said:
Guys lighten up, i really like the tone, character & humour.

We could do with more games with giving themself something extra and different.

Just topped 8k whoopp!

Doesn't feel different in tone to me, more like an evolution of bro-ness from the Unreal/Gears games.

JaxJag

Banned
Would it be better for everyone if the characters were all anime styled, characters spoke Japanese with subtitles, and characters turned to magic dust when they died?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
JaxJag said:
Would it be better for everyone if the characters were all anime styled, characters spoke Japanese with subtitles, and characters turned to magic dust when they died?

no... that would be horrible, what's wrong with you?

Raide

JaxJag said:

As long as they shout "Dick Titsuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!" when they died.

Gowans

Yes broke 10k the more I play, the more it clicks & I can't wait for the full game.

It really does a great job guiding you to use your imagination and what you learn to improve.

Adam J.

Played through the demo five times and had a blast, although I must admit that I totally suck at it. The game has that nice Gears of War heft to the core mechanics thats feels damn good in an FPS.

I probably only scratched the surface of all the skill shots in the demo. Kept trying for the colon-cleanser shot (think that's what it's called, lol) but couldn't line it up.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
TheLegendary said:
I agree. I also found the gameplay to be soulless.

RetroMG

TheLegendary said:

Yes. Thank you. That is absolutely what I was trying to say in my post.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
thuway said:
Hows the PS3 port compare to the 360 version?
We'll know in a day as the PS3 demo is not up yet.
PS3 version will probably be slightly less smooth due to the UE bias.

Teknoman

JaxJag said:

What does that have to do with anything?

DryvBy

Vinterbird said:
48 hour code wouldn't help you in either case. They don't allow 48 hour people have access to Gold stuff.

That's pathetic. It's a demo. It's advertisement, if anything. So on Xbox Live, basically you have to PAY for your advertisements? I wish they'd reverse that so I can get my demos when I cancel Gold next month.

But OT, is the game much more like Quake III/UT than anything else? I haven't followed the game too much as I overhype everything I like.

FinFan

2nd play through netted me 6525. How someone got 18 grand is beyond me at this point.

Anyone else find and drink the "Bottle"?

JambiBum

Metalic Sand said:
I can only get just under 8,000. Still trying to figure out how they come up with the points on things.
The first time you do each skill shot nets you a larger bonus. Best example would be the voodoo doll. First time you do it you get 500. Every other time you only get 100. You just have to be more imaginative. Combine attacks and such that you wouldn't think of doing.

FinFan said:
2nd play through netted me 6525. How someone got 18 grand is beyond me at this point.

Anyone else find and drink the "Bottle"?

I drank something and it fucked up my screen and I couldn't see anything. Not sure what the point was.

Spitz

Satisfying Demo can't wait to get my fingers on the final game. Since E3 my most wanted runner up behind Gears 3 and the demo proves this even more. Call me Epic Games fanboy and i will sign that. :)

TheLegendary said:
I drank something and it fucked up my screen and I couldn't see anything. Not sure what the point was.

You get an Intoxicated points bonus for kills under the influence. Also get a toxic bonus for kills while you're poisoned.

Spitz said:
Satisfying Demo can't wait to get my fingers on the final game. Since E3 my most wanted runner up behind Gears 3 and the demo proves this even more. Call me Epic Games fanboy and i will sign that. :)

Epic is not really the main developer behind the game.

DryvBy

CliffyB said:
COD IS a run and gun shooter, I assure you. It just has a nice real world wrapper. :)

Glad you guys are enjoying the demo. There are many ways you can climb to the top of the leaderboards; the demo is built for replayability in mind with the various shots.

I <3 you, man. I preordered this on Amazon a while back because for some reason, you Epic boys know how to put fun back into gaming.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
SpokkX said:
three letters:
p o s

Pretty Overwhelming Spectacle?

Positively, Obviously, Superior?

You will be purchasing this on day one at your chosen "Point of Sale"?

MDSLKTR

TheLegendary said:

I think we have to thank epic for that.

Mdk7

So after a not so so convincing approach (at first i wasn't totally feeling the game despite my goodwill for it) i eventually got into it, and man it's a blast.
I've been playing it for almost 3 hours straight, and i still feel like playing (currently i'm 1271st with 9355 and 3 stars).

The "problem" here is that you really need to erase all your generic FPS knowledge and start focusing on the core of what Bullestorm is, so it's definitely NOT a very immediate, pick up & play kinda game.
Once you get its dynamics, its rhythm, its rules, you're pretty much fucked: it's just too damn addictive.

Day one for sure... i was already anticipating it before this demo, now it's probably my most wanted game for this year. :lol:

PS: i have only one complain... i know the single player will be terribly short, with this whole score thing they'll put in a 4 hours campaign and that's it. :(

Top Bottom