• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bulletstorm Demo Impressions | Up on XBL | [Update: PC Demo Soon]

Xater

GavinGT said:
I saw this coming from the trailers. Who was really asking for such ridiculous dialogue? Even my ten year old self would've written this off as misguided and appalling.

It's meant to be funny, but it really isn't. Duke does this better.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
The Bookerman said:
The Flail Gun Is definetly the one to use.
Yea it seems to have the most combos going in the demo.

Still trying to figure out how i got 1,000 from the pistol which wasnt even on my 9,000+ run. It was purely pistol shooting and no combos into anything. One of them was quick draw 250 points. then some other pistol specific combo 250 points, Headshot 250 points. Last one mite have been something to do with having 3 pistol related things combined.

An-Det

Just finished the demo, and it was about what I expected (not a bad thing). I died once (at the turret guy, I accidentally grabbed the turret and he killed me), but ended with around 9000 points and three stars. I enjoyed how it controlled, especially the electric lasso; the only part of gameplay that I didn't like was pressing A to jump over obstacles, it was kinda clunky for me. Overall though it affirmed my purchase.

GavinGT

Banned
If ever there were a game to support the whole "M-rated doesn't equal mature" argument......

It's almost criminal, as there's no way this M-rated game was written for anyone older than a seventh grader.

And, no, I don't find strings of expletives to be funny.

I thought the demo was really fun. Kind of torn on if it's a "Month 1" type of game, or something I should wait for until the price drops. The problem there though is that most of the community will probably be gone by then.

Maybe I'll just wait to hear some reports on how much content is really here in singleplayer.

RedSwirl

Yeah, this looks like something I could buy for $20 at a Steam sale six months down the line.

Gameplay really reminded me of MadWorld (which I loved). At best it could become like the Devil May Cry of shooters.

I thought it was quite fun. Definitely left me wanting to play more. The boss fights look pretty freaking insane also. Not a day one purchase for sure but will definitely pick up.

Teknoman

RedSwirl said:
Yeah, this looks like something I could buy for $20 at a Steam sale six months down the line.

Gameplay really reminded me of MadWorld (which I loved). At best it could become like the Devil May Cry of shooters.

Whats funny is that they both have main characters voiced by the same guy as well. Kinda wish Mad World was as fast paced though.

This looks like it'll be a really fun game. The demo was good, imo. All I really knew how to pull off was a grab, kick, shoot combo in different order. Oh and the toss in the air. That was fun.

I also like the sense of being in the character's body when you vault over obstacles. Nothing new but not done enough in FPS.

Lunchbox

Banned
really liked. was playing at the same time with 3 other friends over party chat so we were constantly trying to top eachothers score and telling each other about what they did to get big bonuses on certain parts. played it over 10 times now, got 9,900 as my highest

by yourself i can see this not being that much fun, but co-op and the leaderboard stuff is a blast.

Captain N

CliffyB just tweeted "As a dev it's seldom smart to slam others' games as someone worked really hard on it and it makes them not want to ever work with you."

any idea who he might be talking about?

Messi

Captain N said:
CliffyB just tweeted "As a dev it's seldom smart to slam others' games as someone worked really hard on it and it makes them not want to ever work with you."

That seems really catty :(

Piggus

Alright so I played both version because I felt like comparing. I didn't have any issues with screen tearing on PS3 like someone else had. That said, there are differences that I hope are taken care of before launch. Both versions seem to perform similarly. The 360 version has some kind of ambient occlusion in place which the PS3 lacks. However the effect is subtle and doesn't make much of a difference. The 360 version also has really nice looking sun rays (especially when goin through the round tunnel.) It would be nice to see that on the PS3 version but no dice unfortunately.

Seems to be the typical port where the PS3 version is lacking some effects. Pretty lame, but there aren't enough differences IMO to skip out on the game if that is your only option.

I'll be getting the PC version since it will be awesome. But hopefully this is insightful to some. :p

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Captain N said:

urgh.

Barakov

I had fun with this. I'm definitely going to go through this multiple times. I can't wait for the full game's echo mode.

I also like how playing the demo will unlock stuff in the full game. More games need to do this even if the stuff is throw away for most people.

TheUsual

Gold Member
The demo was screaming keyboard/mouse support to me. It was alright, might pick it up sometime later this year.

Decado

Seems like fun, but the graphics didn't impress much (PS3). May have to see how it runs on my pc or wait until I replace my broken 360.

Captain N said:

What about constructive criticism.

Zeliard

Pretty sure sensible devs know not to talk about other devs' games publicly. It's just unseemly, and the industry is relatively tiny and continually in flux, so you never know who you'll be working with in the future. You also never know when you'll make a shitty game, if you haven't already.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
First off: The writing isn't really funny, and I'm the type that doesn't mind frat bro humor (at times). "Kick them in the poop-shoot," or whatever. Why not just say "ass?" The damn game is rated "M" isn't it? WTF point is hiding the cursing behind 12 year old level cursing?

Second, the game looks good on the PS3. I'm surprised given it's an UE3 game (no offense to Epic, but...). Really colorful.

Third, it seems you can hotlink the guns to the D-pad before "beginning your round." Really nice. Of course, you can use the weapon wheel thingy by holding Y/Triangle and then flicking the stick but that seems somewhat awkward in my opinion.

Fourth, game moves kinda fast for me. But I'm enjoying the "kill with skill" system. Really nice change of pace from most other FPS out there right now. I'm also not digging the default controls. L3/left-stick click for crouch and there is no "run" or whatever option to put it there. I don't want melee on the right stick (awkward) and don't like it on the left stick either so... the controls really don't cater to me. (I guess five years of CoD4's "Tactical" drilled that into me as a 'standard console fps scheme') I hope the full game has a tactical-like scheme for me.

But yeah, the humor is no Duke. :/

Mixed bag, but that's what I expected from seeing the reveal at E3. I may give it a try when it's $20-30 later this year.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
TheUsual said:
The demo was screaming keyboard/mouse support to me. It was alright, might pick it up sometime later this year.

I think it works pretty well on a gamepad, honestly. You had slow motion on the bodies and aiming down gun sights. I always felt like that the whole deal about aiming down gun sights is to have more dynamic precision/aiming options when playing with a gamepad.

Oneself

On the gameplay-side, it's pretty entertaining. Definitely a "game" in every way. I like it.. a lot!
Graphically, it looks on par with the best unreal engine games out there.. what truly helps is that, just like Gears, it runs smoothly (even on PS3, which is kinda rare for UE games). Still, I fear that this engine is restraining level designers a lot.. they have to hide flaws through their design (so you get corridors/open space/corridor/open space and so on... along with "appearing out of nowhere" enemies). Anyways, it looks good, controls are fine, combos are fun, shooting is fun... all I care about now is that option to turn OFF the "mature" language. Hopefully it will make the whole experience better...

So I decided to give it a shot and I'm afraid this game confirmed my fears. It's narcissistic, crude and idiotic. Not to mention I found myself bored by the time I died. Graphics are alright but there was some heavy aliasing present in the 360 version that brought the presentation down. Controls felt a little floaty compared to games like Halo or Call of Duty and I didn't like the persistent head bobbing. It made me slightly dizzy. I couldn't see myself playing this for any more than a rental.

This game is amazing. So much fun. Day one for sure.

CliffyB you are a magnificent bastard. (I know this isn't really 'your' game per se.)

Adam J.

So when you turn off the mature language, what exactly does it do? Does it bleep stuff, or replace words and dialogue entirely?

Oneself

Adam J. said:
So when you turn off the mature language, what exactly does it do? Does it bleep stuff, or replace words and dialogue entirely?

You can't "uncheck" the option in the (ps3) demo... but the option is there at least. I'd prefer different dialogues but I guess it will only bleep stuff.

DancingJesus said:
So I decided to give it a shot and I'm afraid this game confirmed my fears. It's narcissistic, crude and idiotic. Not to mention I found myself bored by the time I died. Graphics are alright but there was some heavy aliasing present in the 360 version that brought the presentation down. Controls felt a little floaty compared to games like Halo or Call of Duty and I didn't like the persistent head bobbing. It made me slightly dizzy. I couldn't see myself playing this for any more than a rental.
I would have went with "Over the top, crude and silly" but that's just me.

Less "slam" and more "constructive" :p

So you probably prefer games like "Shadow of the Colossus" and would probably hate movies like "Shoot 'Em Up".

Dark Octave said:
I would have went with "Over the top, crude and silly" but that's just me.

Less "slam" and more "constructive" :p

So you probably prefer games like "Shadow of the Colossus" and would probably hate movies like "Shoot 'Em Up".

No I'm pretty sure I have the right to slam a game that proclaims itself as the greatest game ever.

Question:
how do you control what the lasso does specifically? whether it pulls them forward, or shoots them all up? and i guess you cant fling them to the side?

DancingJesus said:
No I'm pretty sure I have the right to slam a game that proclaims itself as the greatest game ever.
LOL That it did.

I was like "you said wuuuuuuuu?"

Ok so on that note, you have my blessings :D

Vorg

Banned
Okay, so the frat boy one liners are kinda stupid, but this was seriously awesome. Amazing graphics too. It's Bizarre's The Club done right.

Top Bottom