• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bulletstorm Demo Impressions | Up on XBL | [Update: PC Demo Soon]

Finished the demo. Thought it was fairly entertaining, the dialogue does get old fast though. It's also way too much of a "bro" game for my liking, -$40 and we'll talk EA.

TheSeks said:
First off: The writing isn't really funny, and I'm the type that doesn't mind frat bro humor (at times). "Kick them in the poop-shoot," or whatever. Why not just say "ass?" The damn game is rated "M" isn't it? WTF point is hiding the cursing behind 12 year old level cursing?
Frankly, I find the term "poop-chute" more vulgar as it makes me visualize a rectum, whereas "ass" does not.

Square Triangle said:
Finished the demo. Thought it was fairly entertaining, the dialogue does get old fast though. It's also way too much of a "bro" game for my liking, -$40 and we'll talk EA.
bros do not say farting around and yar.

Sophia

That was a pretty awesome demo. More shooters should take note of the skillshot syste The lack of tutorial in the game itself hurt badly tho. It took me no less then five runs to even figure out all the basics.

Also, I kinda wish the demo wasn't so static. It's almost the same thing through every time.

Marrshu said:
That was a pretty awesome demo. More shooters should take note of the skillshot syste The lack of tutorial in the game itself hurt badly tho. It took me no less then five runs to even figure out all the basics.

Also, I kinda wish the demo wasn't so static. It's almost the same thing through every time.

Uhhh there's like a 4 minute tutorial before you even start playing.

soultron

Banned
Tight controls and gameplay (not to mention the art is nice), but it's just not for me.

I did like the tutorial in the beginning.

Averon

Decent, but fun FPS. I totally get that the crass, dudebro nature of the game is suppose to be over the top, but it still didn't jive with me. I can see the dialog grating on my nerves quickly if I played the demo longer. This is a game I'll probably pick up later this year when I can find it for $40 new.

edit: I got to give credit to Epic/People Can Fly for making an excellent port of the PS3 version despite it being UE3. First really good PS3 UE3 game since Arkham Asylum.

Got top score of all my friends (3 people who've played it on PSN), ranked 396 global. Pretty good for a first time if I do say so myself.

cnizzle06

Banned
The image seemed washed out. I don't know, it just wasn't that fun too me. Maybe I was just farting around too much though.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
ZealousD said:

Oh that's pretty cool

I played the demo and wasn't really feeling it, but this run makes it look alot more enjoyable.

I'll probably get it when it's cheaper. I'm sure it'll do fine without my money

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Steve Blum makes this game for me. Love it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
a Master Ninja said:
Frankly, I find the term "poop-chute" more vulgar as it makes me visualize a rectum, whereas "ass" does not.

I dunno. It just doesn't "flow" right with me. *shrug*

Anyway, replayed the demo five times. 578 on the leaderboard currently with an 8000 score.

Start:

Cock default/starting machine gun. Lasso/pull, hit dude for skeet shot. Latch door above second dude get Ding Dong. Leap over. Melee kick dude for voodoo doll. Run run run. Flyswatter/lasso hold and "bomb" group outside. Voodoo doll another dude with slide/melee. Worry about the gunner dude (honestly he's the thing that slows me down), SKIP THE GUN. It isn't useful.

Lasso bomb first group near elevator, get flyswatter (haven't seen the "sadistic" yet), wait for second group (eats time a bit, but they do come if you're fast), L1/Square (whatever on 360) for elevator skill shot. RUN RUN RUN. Drop. RUN RUN RUN. Lasso/refill ammo from that shop box. Jump. SLIDE. Jump. Lasso bomb, kill kill (skeet shoot?).

Bomb/chaingun thingy the two green dudes on spawn. Chain reaction and Gang Bang skillshot.

RUN RUN. Kick dude in face into pit ("THIS IS BULLETSTOOOOORM" at TV) Vertigo skillshot.

Lasso kick, headshot (skeet shoot) dude after him. Lasso bomb and kick the two dudes after that (forget the skill shot), prep the grenade launcher, three-five green dudes run up the finish line ramp. Skill shot gang bang, surgeon(? IIRC) and some other one. RUN RUN RUN finish line.

Only skill shots I haven't seen is the fireworks (having to throw an enemy into the air and have him ride a rocket, seems harder than it should be), nutshot/mercy one (can't seem to nutshot someone), and maybe some hidden ones in the demo/final?

The shocking skillshot seems hard/luck to get as there is only a few places with electrical cords and you have to kite/get lucky with an enemy nearby, but it's the 500 skillshot points I needed to get 8000 or so in my score.

Time bonus helps as well.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Started the demo but turned it off pretty quick because:

1)it's not 60 fps as was advertised in almost every trailer to the game. I might stop looking at it as a confirmation that a game performs well if a video comes from EA
2)I sucked with a controller. I can enjoy playing Killzone or Gears of War with a controller but Bulletstorm just didn't feel right. I might enjoy it with a mouse because it allows quick and precise aiming.
3)image quality is standard console crap.

As for swearing space pirates, yeah, they might try too hard, but I don't really care. Burping wasn't really necessary though lol.

Will wait for a PC demo for which Mark Rein is allegedly pushing or will buy just as it is for PC, because I'm not able to enjoy it on consoles.

subversus said:
1)it's not 60 fps as was advertised in almost every trailer to the game. I might stop looking at it as a confirmation that a game performs well if a video comes from EA

There's a PC version of the game and that's likely the version that they were showing in those trailers.

Adam J.

The crude tone of the game is a bit of a misfire, but I felt the exact same away about the awful characters and dialogue in Vanquish, which ended up being a great time. I plan on looking past all the "farting around" and "dick-tits" to enjoy all the ridiculous weapons and awesome looking mammoth bosses.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Fantastic game completely and utterly ruined by the ridiculous and insulting manchild dialog.

First of all, it's not clever or witty by any stretch of the imagination. It's not ironic, and it's not some edgy parody. It's fucking poochy is what it is.

Secondly, this isn't 1991 where the game playing populace is almost entirely comprised of socially awkward, basement dwelling Dr Demento listeners who feel empowered by this creepy sort of masculine over compensation.

Christ.

subversus

FlyinJ said:
Secondly, this isn't 1991 where the game playing populace is almost entirely comprised of socially awkward basement dwelling creepy Dr Demento listeners who feel empowered by this creepy sort of masculine over compensation.

Christ.

Must resist quoting the tag.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I strongly dislike the voice acting, characters and tone but I can't deny that it was a lot of fun. The gunplay feels good and I like sliding and kicking fuckers into things. My favorite was to pull the dudes in with the leash then kicking then down the bottomless pit. It seems like a cool game but I'll definitely be skipping the cutscenes.

I'll probably have to get this now.

Zeliard

FlyinJ said:
Fantastic game completely and utterly ruined by the ridiculous and insulting manchild dialog.

First of all, it's not clever or witty by any stretch of the imagination. It's not ironic, and it's not some edgy parody. It's fucking poochy is what it is.

Secondly, this isn't 1991 where the game playing populace is almost entirely comprised of socially awkward, basement dwelling Dr Demento listeners who feel empowered by this creepy sort of masculine over compensation.

Christ.

The game is far more self-aware than you're giving it credit for. It isn't attempting to "empower" anyone and is so over-the-top it's basically winking at the player. The only thing this game harkens back to are, quite simply, titles that didn't take themselves seriously. Nearly every post-Doom FPS from the 90s fits that bill.

I'd much rather play a game where the main character throws out purposefully juvenile one-liners rather than shoot an endless supply of brown people in a militaristic warzone. The latter to me is considerably "creepier."

stupei

About how long is a round in the demo? Don't have a lot of time before bed but I'm debating between this and Dead Space 2...

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Zeliard said:
The game is far more self-aware than you're giving it credit for. It isn't attempting to "empower" anyone and is so over-the-top it's basically winking at the player. The only thing this game harkens back to are, quite simply, titles that didn't take themselves seriously. Nearly every post-Doom FPS from the 90s fits that bill.
"

I think most people know it doesn't take itself seriously

the problem is it just isn't funny.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
FlyinJ said:

Oh come on now.

This is one of their promotional videos for the game.

If you honestly believe they're being serious with this game, you have your head where your ass should be. Criticizing the game for its juvenile tone is like criticizing the Mass Effect series for being too "sci-fi". It's practically the whole fucking point. If you don't like the tone, that's fine. But that just means you aren't part of the intended audience for the game.

Averon

Chopperman said:
I think most people know it doesn't take itself seriously

the problem is it just isn't funny.

Pretty much. I think most who have a problem with BS's dialog knows the game is going for parody on the crass, toilet humor dude bro FPSs of the '90s. It's just that the parody wasn't pulled off well. So the parody doesn't come off as funny, which I think the devs were going for, but annoying.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
FlyinJ said:
Of course it's not taking itself seriously. The problem is, it's not funny. At all.

You were implying something else altogether with the Poochy comparison.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I need to mess with the part at the elevator some more. I should have blown past 10K but I stopped right before it, ended up getting French Revolution for the first time and got a fuckton of points, but I'm not really sure how to redo it. Ended up just short because I messed the end up pretty bad.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
ZealousD said:
You were implying something else altogether with the Poochy comparison.

I don't believe I was in the least. They created something that they felt would appeal to a demographic that barely exists (idiots who would find this shit-poor humor actually funny)... making themselves look like idiots.

Carnby

ZealousD said:
Oh come on now.

This is one of their promotional videos for the game.

If you honestly believe they're being serious with this game, you have your head where your ass should be. Criticizing the game for its juvenile tone is like criticizing the Mass Effect series for being too "sci-fi". It's practically the whole fucking point. If you don't like the tone, that's fine. But that just means you aren't part of the intended audience for the game.

poochy... definitely poochy.

subversus

FlyinJ said:
I don't believe I was in the least. They created something that they felt would appeal to a demographic that barely exists (idiots who would find this shit-poor humor actually funny)... making themselves look like idiots.

So wrong lol

Too "bro" for me. Didn't find it endearing, I found it annoying.

The game seems like it would get old fast. Maybe just me.

Not impressed.

G-Fex

TheMissingLink said:
Too "bro" for me. Didn't find it endearing, I found it annoying.

The game seems like it would get old fast. Maybe just me.

Not impressed.

I really hope it doesn't bother and deter me from the game.

But it seems like it is.

Sophia

Net_Wrecker said:
Uhhh there's like a 4 minute tutorial before you even start playing.

There was no tutorial when I played. Unless the cutscene that I skipped was a tutorial. In which case, that's poor design.

I'm amazed at the amount of whiners here. Still complaining about the dialogue? God-damn. It's like they called your mother dicktits or something.

subversus

Marrshu said:
There was no tutorial when I played. Unless the cutscene that I skipped was a tutorial. In which case, that's poor design.

they should've made it unskippable, yes.

Sophia

Papercuts said:
Yeah, that was it.

Yeah see, I tend not to watch cutscenes for anything that's not really story heavy. No wonder why I skipped it.

subversus said:
they should've made it unskippable, yes.

That would only make it worse. They should make an actual tutorial. Cutscenes are almost as bad as showing the controls on the loading screen.

subversus

Marrshu said:
That would only make it worse. They should make an actual tutorial. Cutscenes are almost as bad as showing the controls on the loading screen.

the demo is the tutorial.

by the way I decided to complete it and just did it. The game must be fun, but feels off with a controller to me. Will buy for PC.

stupei

Thanks for the answers, guys. I got a little bit of time in with it, at least.

Not sure how I feel about the tone -- not put out exactly, just not sure if it could end up grating -- but hearing Jennifer Hale did make me smile. Really hoping the Giant Bomb guys do a Quick Look on this one and we can see how the campaign actually looks before release. It's pretty fun and I want to play around with the environments more, but to be honest I think I'm a little disappointed. I'll probably still get it, but maybe not day one?

I might feel differently tomorrow when I can mess around with things a little more.

Top Bottom