• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bulletstorm Demo Impressions | Up on XBL | [Update: PC Demo Soon]

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
PjotrStroganov said:
Although I'm not really bothered by the profanity, I do find it a bit too forced. Same goes for the burping in the turorial. Honestly, I took more offence to that.

same here.

seady

Maybe I am not getting the combo mechanic, but the game feels just like other shooters with a score popping up when you shoot a guy in the face. The only interesting part is the lasso.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I just played the PS3 demo after playing the 360 version yesterday.

Seems completely alright. With a day between the games I can't tell the difference in the visuals. Which is surprising for a UE game.

For the people that definitely want to have the best version the 360 is the obvious choice due to UE3 just being better on 360.

I'm getting the PS3 version, if I get the game at all.
(I also got RDR for PS3 so maybe I'm not that sensitive to this stuff as I think I am.)

Scarecrow

I swear I've seen videos of people lasso charging that elevator group into the air, but I can't seem to pull it off. Same with shooting a guy in the nuts.

seady said:
Maybe I am not getting the combo mechanic, but the game feels just like other shooters with a score popping up when you shoot a guy in the face. The only interesting part is the lasso.

Pretty much, the combo stuff is kind of like achievements, it looks flashy and gives you something to do, but ultimately it's kind of pointless.

Scarecrow said:
I swear I've seen videos of people lasso charging that elevator group into the air, but I can't seem to pull it off. Same with shooting a guy in the nuts.
I shoot a dude in the nuts once. Either the hit boxes need to be bigger or I need to get this on PC for some pinpoint accuracy.

Definity

practice02 said:
I'm having trouble getting that 3rd star 800 points away, tips please.
Don't use the chain gun. You can flyswat (leash) those guys for some big points before you smash them into bits.

Definity said:
Don't use the chain gun. You can flyswat (leash) those guys for some big points before you smash them into bits.
Yeah I realized the chain gun sucks so the elevator guys are what you are talking About.

The chain gun is a blast though. Sucks that you don't get much points for using it.

I love this game but I'm not going to play it for points if that means I have to resort to less fun methods.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Gave the demo a try on the 360 :

- visually impressive
- controls were too sluggish for this type of game ( full disclosure ; I did not think there was an optionsmenu so I might've overlooked the sens-options. )
- need pcdemo badly

Just tried the PS3 demo, and I wasn´t impressed at all. The graphics were too cluttered with details, the art direction didn´t do it for me, and the "bad ass" attitude from the characters just felt embarrassing. There were some variety in the combat mechanics that was nice, but not enough to make me want the game.

The game did make me want to replay the FPS games I like though, I guess that´s something.

Just played through the demo again. Noticed the bottle you can drink for the "Intoxicated" skill kill this time.

Its fun enough, something I could sit and play for an hour or so to kill time.

Warm Machine said:
Beautiful art and tech wasted on juvenile everything. This makes Gears look like high art, but maybe that was their plan.
Bulletstorm and Gears are both pretty idiotic. The difference is Bulletstorm knows it but Gears tries real hard to be serious anyway.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Neuromancer said:
Bulletstorm and Gears are both pretty idiotic. The difference is Bulletstorm knows it but Gears tries real hard to be serious anyway.

you really think that? it has a gun with a chainsaw, its just meant to be a fun time.

Loved the demo, will buy the game. Sure, its juvenile, but its damn near refreshing to play a game like this. Although a tired saying, to those distraught about how child-like the game is and are offended by words in a action game.... "Why so serious?"

Adam J.

Finally got my 3 stars last night. There are like 3 waves of baddies to play with in the elevator shaft, which is where you can get a decent hunk of the points. I've managed to chug the frame-rate in the 360 in that section of the game with some of the insane kills I pulled off right when the elevator crashes (lol).

kaizoku said:
you really think that? it has a gun with a chainsaw, its just meant to be a fun time.
Why can't things just be mindless, fun, and entertaining. This obsession with entertainment having an underlying amount of highbrow content is getting really old, really fast.

Neuromancer said:

Same goes for Killzone. People give these games free passes though, but apparently Bulletstorm is an assault on our ears. We must think of the children!

Wizman23

Banned
Neuromancer said:
How can someone get offended by burping?

GET OFF MY FUCKING LAWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

People who are offended by games like this should just quit gaming and take up sewing or something.

Just terrible.

Looks kinda pretty, but I don't find this "The Club/Tony Hawk" thing to be covering up the bland combat, the bland enemies, and the bland characters at all.

I think this one is going to be a real disappointment for most people. I don't see how anyone couldn't see how unimaginative this game is and how "been there, done that" it feels.

I think honestly Epic are going to have a lot of people trading this game back in just because it looks so much like gears of war and plays nothing like it.

I wasn't expecting much, and I didn't get much from the demo.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
SonOfABeep said:
Looks kinda pretty, but I don't find this "The Club/Tony Hawk" thing to be covering up the bland combat, the bland enemies, and the bland characters at all.

In this game, you can lasso somebody to you, kick them into the air, then shoot them with a type of bullet that shoots off like a rocket to send them even further in the air.

Next, you can get drunk, fire a exploding flail to wrap around an enemy's legs, and then watch them beg for mercy before kicking them into a wall of spikes.

How is this bland?

I don't know about this game. I can see the appeal but it's probably just not my thing. I have zero interest in the scoring system thing (didn't play for score in Vanquish either, though I loved the campaign in that game), and shooting people (or whatever they are) doesn't feel satisfying at all. I can see the gameplay reasons for the enemies being such non-reactive bullet-sponges, but something just feels off here. It never clicked for me. Weird blend of old and new-school design concepts.

And the presentation is annoying. I know it's supposed to be tongue-in-cheek, but still. It's just irritating. I don't know if it's trying too hard or not trying hard enough... it's clearly supposed to be some sort of funny homage but it somehow still feels really generic both gameplay and style-wise. I can see why some people don't realize the game is supposed to be a bit silly. And I agree with CecilRousso, the game looks cluttered and gaudy. It's fine technically.

I dunno. That reads like tightwad nitpicking. I might bite when this is really cheap, I kind of dig the concept behind it and I can see the game picking up steam, seems like there could be some nice action, but this demo has definitely dissuaded me from paying full price for this.

Warm Machine said:
Beautiful art and tech wasted on juvenile everything. This makes Gears look like high art, but maybe that was their plan.

Beautiful, yes, if you look at specific details, one at a time. But there is just to much of everything, which makes it look a complete mess. I wish more developers could learn of Valve, that graphics need to be functional for the player, not just pretty on screenshots.

The graphics in this game did not impress me the slightest.

I think that the lack of the usual context provided in a modern campaign shooter, with cinematics and dialogue-driven progression constantly informing and moving the action in a logical way, is probably going to be a big stumbling block for a lot of people. I mean, a lot of very simplistic and familiar games get by on punctuating the experience with right sort of story and spectacle to leave you wanting to know where it will go next. It just seems like most people will probably just want to get through and experience the campaign and not necessarily immerse themselves in a mastery/challenge mode of thinking to compete in score attack that the demo focuses on introducing.

SonOfABeep said:
Just terrible.

I think this one is going to be a real disappointment for most people. I don't see how anyone couldn't see how unimaginative this game is and how "been there, done that" it feels.

I think honestly Epic are going to have a lot of people trading this game back in just because it looks so much like gears of war and plays nothing like it.

I wasn't expecting much, and I didn't get much from the demo.
Plays on Easy Mode

kaizoku said:
The fact that CliffyB was publicly walking around with a picture of Dom's wife in his wallet suggests -to me- that they did in fact take the overall plot pretty seriously.

Anyway, you can have a game that takes itself seriously but still has some openly ridiculous/exaggerated elements.

Discotheque said:
Same goes for Killzone. People give these games free passes though, but apparently Bulletstorm is an assault on our ears. We must think of the children!
Haha yeah really.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Short, but I thought it was fun as hell and looked surprisingly fantastic on the PS3. Will be buying on PC, but the demo just confirmed my thoughts that this game is going to be tons of fun to play.

If you're not playing wrecklessly and wild, I feel sorry for you.

The demo, especially the controls felt weird in first 5 minutes, but I might be because I hadn't played any UE3 shooters lately. I liked the first impression though, gonna try some more tomorrow

luffeN

EatChildren said:
Short, but I thought it was fun as hell and looked surprisingly fantastic on the PS3. Will be buying on PC, but the demo just confirmed my thoughts that this game is going to be tons of fun to play.

If you're not playing wrecklessly and wild, I feel sorry for you.
Echoes Mode is going to be so much fun plus 4 player coop skillshots? nice :D

Tried to like it and couldn't...

Run on A works for Gears, REALLY doesn't work for me here. Taking your thumb of the stick to run is just crazy in a game that is purportedly all about accuracy. I can't press forward on the stick after pressing A to keep the run going, I have to hold it the whole time. Then I look in the control options and the only different way to control it is to use kick on RS and crouch on B? Ergh.

Thumper is really fun to use until you realise you have a finite supply, same for the overload shots. Do they recharge over time or do you need ammo for them? Seems pretty arbitrary to limit the player's ability to do really cool things when your USP is allowing the player to do really cool things.

I'm sorry guys.. I really, really want to like it, but it's just not clicking with me currently. I keep trying to go back to it every so often, but nothing seems to change...

You get three charges for each of your weapons and your whip, they're shown above and below the normal ammo readout. You can replenish them by connecting to the shop thing.

True about the a to run thing but you can do a slide (double tap a) which will give you some time to aim on the move. It doesn't last very long unless you're going down a slope though.

Air Zombie Meat said:
You get three charges for each of your weapons and your whip, they're shown above and below the normal ammo readout. You can replenish them by connecting to the shop thing.

True about the a to run thing but you can do a slide (double tap a) which will give you some time to aim on the move. It doesn't last very long unless you're going down a slope though.

Having slide on the run button is just too much for me, currently. I just had another run-through and ended up getting stressed out under fire. I tried running to cover by clicking the stick. It's utterly subconscious, which is worrying.. I'll soldier on though!

I still think it's bad idea having to replenish at a shop, although I can sort of see why..

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Eh played it earlier today and really it just felt like every other shooter to me. I was trying to maximize my score and what not but just wasn't having fun. The writing and its 'bro'ness' is not something that upsets me but just doesn't add anything.

If it wasn't for the Gears 3 beta being included I imagine this game would bomb.

X26

Banned
dialouge aside I found it to be a ton of fun, it's what borderlands (which is great regardless) should have been

X26 said:
dialouge aside I found it to be a ton of fun, it's what borderlands (which is great regardless) should have been

I don't see it, aside from some of the aesthetics. They seem like totally different kind of games to me.

Wizman23 said:
GET OFF MY FUCKING LAWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

People who are offended by games like this should just quit gaming and take up sewing or something.

Sewing? I'm sure they'll be content watching teenage bath-house scenes in Persona or playing through Cathrine.

Reallink

X26 said:

The fuck? Borderlands was always supposed to be a a Diablo/PSO FPS, how could you have possibly wanted it to be this weird score-based-arcade-shooter. I guess this game kind of ganks the post-apocalyptic bandit and tough guy character art, but besides that, I have no idea how you just made that statement.

Not a Jellyfish said:
Eh played it earlier today and really it just felt like every other shooter to me. I was trying to maximize my score and what not but just wasn't having fun. The writing and its 'bro'ness' is not something that upsets me but just doesn't add anything.
This is exactly how I felt. So perfect.

Top Bottom