• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bulletstorm Demo Impressions | Up on XBL | [Update: PC Demo Soon]

ZealousD said:
In this game, you can lasso somebody to you, kick them into the air, then shoot them with a type of bullet that shoots off like a rocket to send them even further in the air.

Next, you can get drunk, fire a exploding flail to wrap around an enemy's legs, and then watch them beg for mercy before kicking them into a wall of spikes.

How is this bland?

You can get drunk!??

I played the demo twice, and get the feeling I missed a lot of stuff, the core gameplay sounds awesome when you say it the way you said it, but ultimatly beyond the sort of combos the dev's imagined there doesnt seem to be space to just use the tools to totally go to town.

Why For?

Banned
It was good...I guess.

Just not good enough to push in front of Dead Space 2 and MvC3, on top of the backlog I already have.

Sorry PCF.

ZeroRay

The gameplay is enjoyable but the game takes itself too seriously in not taking itself too seriously, if you know what I mean.

Thought it was neat.

But I could not help feel the entire time I was playing it wrong... I was suppose to do cool things - but nothing cool was happening.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
bobs99 ... said:
You can get drunk!??

Just after you find the second ammo locker, there's a bottle near the door to the next big room. You'll get a few points just for drinking it, and the screen will go all double vision and blurry. Kill some dudes while you're drunk, get more points.

mr stroke

Very impressed with the graphics, looks really nice on 360. Was not expecting this to be any sort of high art game so the cheesy dialog and over the top gameplay feels right in its place.
Will be picking this up on PC, sure it will look stunning maxed.

Shawsie64

Banned
I loved it :) just some fun, no need to take it seriously! haha

Will be getting on PC and playing with my friends which should be amazing

X26

Banned
Reallink said:
The fuck? Borderlands was always supposed to be a a Diablo/PSO FPS, how could you have possibly wanted it to be this weird score-based-arcade-shooter. I guess this game kind of ganks the post-apocalyptic bandit and tough guy character art, but besides that, I have no idea how you just made that statement.

Borderlands gunplay was horrible, whereas Bulletstorm's (atleast based on this demo) isn't

Nice framerate and graphics. I'm a bit worried the gameplay will get repetitive.

Is it coming out on PC too? If so I'd grab it on that, seems like a KB/M game.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Foliorum Viridum said:
Nice framerate and graphics. I'm a bit worried the gameplay will get repetitive.

Is it coming out on PC too? If so I'd grab it on that, seems like a KB/M game.

yes, it comes on the same date.

Spwn

Tried out the PS3 demo and loved the tongue-in-cheek action. At first the controls felt a bit floaty, but I got used to them pretty fast. I gotta try again as Bulletstorm felt like something I might want to play a lot more.

Dammit, I was just making my personal record and boom, I am stuck inside the geometry (and outside the map) :| damn youuuu bugsss!

Spwn said:
Tried out the PS3 demo and loved the tongue-in-cheek action. At first the controls felt a bit floaty, but I got used to them pretty fast. I gotta try again as Bulletstorm felt like something I might want to play a lot more.

It's a DS3 thing. It's not that floaty on Xbox 360.

ArjanN said:
But this has much better gameplay than Borderlands IMO.

much better to the power of infinity. And in the end it's gameplay that matters above all. If it was otherwise I would have skipped Bayonetta.

ArjanN said:
But this has much better gameplay than Borderlands IMO.

Completely different types of games though being that Borderlands is primarily a RPG, it really wasn't a traditional shooter like Bulletstorm. Point is Bulletstorm as prevoius member had said, is just trying to hard that it doesn't feel natural. Games like Borderlands and Duke Nukem for example take the genre and have fun with it, and it works.

Teknoman

Spirit of Jazz said:
Sewing? I'm sure they'll be content watching teenage bath-house scenes in Persona or playing through Cathrine.

How's that?

Also those complaining about the odd combo of curse words, there are next to none during actual gameplay. The only instance of the words people are complaining about, such as dick tits, are at the end of the demo with the preorder trailer tacked on. One instance of poop passage in the tutorial, but other than that?

Nothing during actual gameplay, and your npc partners either make small comments about the area, the actions you just performed, or that they need help. It's really not that bad.

Oh and at the end of the stage: "Now thats what my old man called fuckin fools up!" Still, its not as bad as people are making it out to be. Certainly nothing like Rogue Warrior, or a constant stream of crazy cursing everytime you blow something up or do a nice combo.

Imo they should've set up two modes in the demo. Echo and one part from a story mode stage. That way people could see the gameplay doesn't just consist of trying to get a super high score with little difficulty, no less than Dead Rising just consists of dressing up in crazy costumes and putting cones on zombies.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
BattleMonkey said:
Completely different types of games though being that Borderlands is primarily a RPG, it really wasn't a traditional shooter like Bulletstorm. Point is Bulletstorm as prevoius member had said, is just trying to hard that it doesn't feel natural. Games like Borderlands and Duke Nukem for example take the genre and have fun with it, and it works.

Did I play a different demo than everyone else, or something? Bulletstorm didn't even have that much talking during the gameplay, it was mostly just yelling for excitiement with a few things said that weren't even over the top. All of the stuff people are harping on was only in the tutorial cutscene and demo ending video. You'd think by the way people are talking you'd be hearing stuff like EAT IT YOU FUCKNUGGET every 3 seconds ingame.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Papercuts said:
You'd think by the way people are talking you'd be hearing stuff like EAT IT YOU FUCKNUGGET every 3 seconds ingame.

That would be amazing, Coyote Smith shootout style.

YOU'REFUCKEDYOU'REFUCKEDYOU'REFUCKEDYOU'REFUCKED

Papercuts said:
Did I play a different demo than everyone else, or something? Bulletstorm didn't even have that much talking during the gameplay, it was mostly just yelling for excitiement with a few things said that weren't even over the top. All of the stuff people are harping on was only in the tutorial cutscene and demo ending video. You'd think by the way people are talking you'd be hearing stuff like EAT IT YOU FUCKNUGGET every 3 seconds ingame.

Yeah, the over-reactions to a couple of silly lines from the trailer is weird. Nothing in the actual demo was like that. Seems to me that they made their mind up already based on the marketing. Besides, I don't see how its worse than swearing in other games. "Aaargh I want my video game swearing to be mature and realistic, game ruined!"

ElRenoRaven

Now that I have the right thread. lol

I have to say it was decently fun. Played the PS3 demo. I don't think it's 60 bucks fun but when I find it cheap I'll be picking it up without a doubt.

pakkit

Banned
Air Zombie Meat said:
Yeah, the over-reactions to a couple of silly lines from the trailer is weird. Nothing in the actual demo was like that. Seems to me that they made their mind up already based on the marketing. Besides, I don't see how its worse than swearing in other games. "Aaargh I want my video game swearing to be mature and realistic, game ruined!"
It's less that, and more, "I want to play a video game that doesn't make me grimace because I'm no longer a 13 year old with a bevy of Power Rangers toys."

God, Power Rangers was awesome.

MadWorld suffered from the same fatigue, but at least it had some genuinely hilarious one-liners. I've failed to laugh at any of the promo material/demo stuffs I've seen from Bulletstorm. Kind of splits the market from the hardcore score-attack gamers it seems aimed at, and the tweens it's dialogue and characters seem catered to.

But yes, this is hardly a new trend in videogames.

Dance In My Blood said:
What? Borderlands has much more in common with Halo.
halos gunplay is floaty and is more spray and pray friendly and the guns have no weight to them. I meanhalo doesn't even have fucking iron sights. the precision isn't there. now the movement in borderlands is very halo-esque.

pakkit

Banned
practice02 said:
halos gunplay is floaty and is more spray and pray friendly and the guns have no weight to them. I meanhalo doesn't even have fucking iron sights. the precision isn't there. now the movement in borderlands is very halo-esque.

practice02 said:
halos gunplay is floaty and is more spray and pray friendly and the guns have no weight to them. I meanhalo doesn't even have fucking iron sights.

practice02 said:
I meanhalo doesn't even have fucking iron sights.

Are you real?

practice02 said:
Borderlands=CoD?

Iron sights=precision?

Halo=spray and pray, when the best weapons in the game (battle rifle, DMR) are semi-automatic?

I don't know about you, man. I just don't know.

luffeN

ZealousD said:
Just after you find the second ammo locker, there's a bottle near the door to the next big room. You'll get a few points just for drinking it, and the screen will go all double vision and blurry. Kill some dudes while you're drunk, get more points.
The second locker? Is there a part of the map I have not visited? And how can people get 20k points on this map :(

banKai said:
The second locker? Is there a part of the map I have not visited? And how can people get 20k points on this map :(
The alcohol is right after you pass the swinging electricity cables, on the left, in a cabinet or pile of rubble or something, before the big room with the half walls.

It's about 3/4 of the way through the level.

I don't know about that score, I can't even get 3 stars!

luffeN

Neuromancer said:
The alcohol is right after you pass the swinging electricity cables, on the left, in a cabinet or pile of rubble or something, before the big room with the half walls.

It's about 3/4 of the way through the level.

I don't know about that score, I can't even get 3 stars!
I know where the alcohol is, but he said something about a second locker. I only see one in the demo.

zaidr

This was so boring...I just want it for the early access to the GOW3 beta...dammit!! Why does this game have to suck? Fucking EPIC...

Adam J.

zaidr said:
This was so boring...I just want it for the early access to the GOW3 beta...dammit!! Why does this game have to suck? Fucking EPIC...

I totally respect your opinion, but I think it's crazy how a Gears fan could think Bulletstorm is boring. It has the Epic aesthetic; same dumb-ass meat-head characters, ugly roid'ed out baddies and giant monster bosses.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
banKai said:
I know where the alcohol is, but he said something about a second locker. I only see one in the demo.

There's only one ammo locker, AFAIK. He's mistaken.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I tried the demo and it confirmed what I feared, this game isn't for me. I like what it's trying to do but the controls didn't work too well for me and I just can think/aim fast enough to do a lot of cool stuff. It's not a bad game by any means, I think most people will find it pretty fun, just not my cup of tea.

Tain

I'll play this, I think. I liked the demo. Hoping the hard difficulties are hard. The humor is groan-worthy, but I can't fathom how people would care enough about that to let it get in the way.

Neuromancer said:
Borderlands=CoD?

Iron sights=precision?

Halo=spray and pray, when the best weapons in the game (battle rifle, DMR) are semi-automatic?

I don't know about you, man. I just don't know.
I played them all. Don't get me wrong and I think it the game has it's place in the list of great shooters, but give me cod controls any day over Halo. Borderlands didn't fell like Halo. iron sights are a modern shooter advent standard that I fucking feel is a necessity for more accurate control.

BeeDog

Tried the PS3 demo yesterday. The game's pretty fun, but I'm not too fond of score-based games so I won't be picking this one up. It's a looker though, but the dialogue is horrible (e.g. not fun even though it attempts to be tongue-in-cheek).

Top Bottom