• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bulletstorm Demo Impressions | Up on XBL | [Update: PC Demo Soon]

A.R.K

Played the demo last night. What a load of crap. Just couldn't take the overly cheesy atmosphere, awful dialog and constant swearing. It was not even fun to play, too much chaotic. I can see what kind of audience they are going after: I think they called them DICK-TITS. And people complain about Rico in KZ2...lol give me a break.

Deleted after just 1 play.

WaltJay

I played through the demo a couple times; it was kind of fun, but I'm not sure if the gimmick would still be enjoyable across an entire campaign.

Does anyone know if the Gears 3 demo is going to require the disc (like Crackdown/Halo 3) or is it just a code?

Z_Y

Been meaning to catch up with this thread. Played the demo the other day and wanted to share my thoughts...

First off, to those that are so offended by the game...I don't know what to say. I know that everybody realizes that the game is self aware...but the fact that people are still complaining about it makes it even funnier to me. It's as if the game is trolling them and watching somebody get trolled is always hilarious. The whole dick-tits stuff is straight up 1995ish Adam Sandler. Just combining curse words for comedic effect. Yes...it is juvenile and what not...but who cares? If the game tried to take itself too serious..I imagine many people would have complaints about it as well (i.e. MARIAAAAAAAAAA). I think it is safe to say you're not going to please everyone.

Moving on...gameplay...

This is where Bulletstorm should make hay...and for me it does. It is a score attack game and those type games always get their hooks in me. If you are methodically tracking through the level...then you are doing it wrong. You need to be fast and loose...pretty much making decisions on the fly. If something works (produces big points) then great...try to incorporate that into your next run. My best is 9765 or something. Hoping to crack 10k at some point. People over 22K on the leaderbaord...I bow to them.

My only fear, and it has been mentioned here already, is that every level becomes a "you have to do it this way or start over" session. Hopefully the variety of weapons helps in that regard as well as having more environmental hazards in other stages. I loved the clip of the big venus fly-trap swallowing the dude. lol

I probably will jump in day one unless I burn myself out on the demo. When does the Gears3 beta start?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
A.R.K said:
Played the demo last night. What a load of crap. Just couldn't take the overly cheesy atmosphere, awful dialog and constant swearing. It was not even fun to play, too much chaotic. I can see what kind of audience they are going after: I think they called them DICK-TITS. And people complain about Rico in KZ2...lol give me a break.

Deleted after just 1 play.

So, where was this constant swearing again? In gameplay, I mean. Rico is a godawful character with his in game dialog and constantly fucking everything up for you, for the bulletstorm demo there was barely any talking outside of the tutorial and ending cutscene.

burgerdog said:
Question: Is the campaign coop?

There's a co-op mode but I'm not sure if it's the campaign or something seperate.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Played the demo

The has protential of mass fun. pretty cool ideas.

But shit Epic, YOU'RE TRYING TOO HARD, shit is embarrassing to my ears

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
It seems like people's enjoyment of this game is directly related to their opinion of the word "dicktits".

If you think that is hilarious, you will like this game.

If you don't think it's funny at all, you will hate it.

Does that seem fair? Seems like the people that hate the game just can't get past that kind of self-aware immaturity to appreciate the game for what it is.

Teknoman

There is no constant swearing in the game.

The guy says poop passage in the tutorial video, nothing during gameplay whatsoever aside from some laughing (comments from npcs are pretty tame), says an end taunt similar to Duke after beating that section of the score attack stage ("Now thats what my old man called fuckin fools up"), says "oh shit" when looking at a huge boss during the end demo trailer, and of course dick-tits at the end of the demo trailer.

Thats it. During gameplay? Not a word.

EDIT: I think the word dick tits is stupid too, but after actually playing the demo, I had fun with the game and its over the top, nineties style atmosphere. Its just that people keep saying there is cursing all over the place, when it really is limited to a few words before and after the demo gameplay.

Another heads up: Even though the gameplay is still fairly score based, the story mode is supposed to be challenging and more focused on progression than racking up points. Echo (score attack mode) is more or less the Mad World kill with skill focused section.

Seems like this game is meant for co-op. The single player experience feels like it will wear thin.

Again, the dialogue is really bad. I really don't understand what the developers were thinking. This is a 17+ game and the writing is meant for 14-15 year olds.

TxdoHawk

I think the humor is so-so, neither hilarious or so cringe-inducing that I wouldn't play. The real problem with this game is that I was essentially sold the idea that the game would rope me in with a fascinating stunt-like system, and it's just not that interesting.

Papercuts said:
So, where was this constant swearing again? In gameplay, I mean. Rico is a godawful character with his in game dialog and constantly fucking everything up for you, for the bulletstorm demo there was barely any talking outside of the tutorial and ending cutscene.

There's a co-op mode but I'm not sure if it's the campaign or something seperate.
I'm pretty sure it's seperate and you play as dead echo. the setting is before the main games. and I think the levels were designed bigger to accommodate 4 players i think.
~Devil Trigger~ said:
Played the demo

The has protential of mass fun. pretty cool ideas.

But shit Epic, YOU'RE TRYING TOO HARD, shit is embarrassing to my ears
Reading GAF demo impressions is like reading yelp reviews for your favorite restaurant.

Teknoman

TxdoHawk said:
I think the humor is so-so, neither hilarious or so cringe-inducing that I wouldn't play. The real problem with this game is that I was essentially sold the idea that the game would rope me in with a fascinating stunt-like system, and it's just not that interesting.

Hopefully once stuff gets really heated (kicking missiles, tossing people at carnivorous plants, doing crazy stuff with the environment during boss battles) everything will feel better tied together.

I love that this game's language has people so riled up. In fact I enjoy that almost as much as the game itself, which is no small feat considering I've played the demo pretty much every day since it came out.

CliffyB and People Can Fly, I salute you.

Zeliard

ZealousD said:
It seems like people's enjoyment of this game is directly related to their opinion of the word "dicktits".

If you think that is hilarious, you will like this game.

If you don't think it's funny at all, you will hate it.

Does that seem fair? Seems like the people that hate the game just can't get past that kind of self-aware immaturity to appreciate the game for what it is.

I don't think "dicktits" is hilarious, but I also don't particularly give a shit.

This is a People Can Fly game. Much like a Team Ninja game, I'm playing it almost solely for the gameplay - though unlike Team Ninja, PCF has some great artists.

The main character throwing out purposefully juvenile one-liners isn't going to throw me into conniptions. If anything, it'll just be reminiscent of Shadow Warrior, and harkening back to shooters of old is exactly what this game is trying to do.

I didn't like the demo. It reminded me of The Club. I don't like having to string together combos for an entire game. And your forced to or your rewarded with almost no points.

And crouch being on the L3 button was pretty stupid. I'd rather it be run and then you press X to slide.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
it seems pretty irresponsible of PCF, or maybe even Epic for not reigning them in, to let the stupid, tongue-in-cheek hammy lines get to the point that it distracts from the really damn good work they did with the moment-to-moment act of playing the game. Rather than the Bulletstorm discussion focusing on that, we mostly have people discussing the ridiculously embarrassing dialogue. I don't know, maybe any discussion is good discussion, but I feel like that's doing the game a massive disservice.

Rez said:
it seems pretty irresponsible of PCF, or maybe even Epic for not reigning them in, to let the stupid, tongue-in-cheek hammy lines get to the point that it distracts from the really damn good work they did with the moment-to-moment act of playing the game. Rather than the Bulletstorm discussion focusing on that, we mostly have people discussing the ridiculously embarrassing dialogue. I don't know, maybe any discussion is good discussion, but I feel like that's doing the game a massive disservice.

Don't blame People Can Fly for the whiny brats around here.

I wonder what a Painkiller thread would have looked like "waaah too much screamo metal music"

"too dark and gritty and edgy"

"what is this? A McFarlane production?"

Fun demo. Kinda skeptical on picking it up because of GFWL though, that service has been a hassle for me but I might have to bite.

I´m one of those who will not even consider buying the game because of the characters, dialogue and cutscenes. Gameplay rules, yes, but you can´t hide from the embarassing characters no matter how hard you try. Unless you completely ditch the game, which I will do. It´s not funny, it´s not cool and it´s not something that you just let pass. It´s only annoying.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
maybe it has different sound settings? turn down the VA and turn off subtitles?

Well maybe I'm being a bit of a hypocrite because I found it tough to like Bayonetta going by trailers and the pre-release stuff.

But I played the demo and was instantly sold on the game. Still hate the presentation though, characters and music and everything.

Adam J.

This thread is really starting to crack me up. I mean, c'mon people, you're on the freaking internet for god's sake, and you're sensibilities are offended by a game that's clearly supposed to be a joke. Get over yourselves, and let the Bart Simpson inside of you enjoy shooting guys in the ass, or kicking them into giant venus flytraps.

Nedjoe

Neo Member
Adam J. said:
This thread is really starting to crack me up. I mean, c'mon people, you're on the freaking internet for god's sake, and you're sensibilities are offended by a game that's clearly supposed to be a joke. Get over yourselves, and let the Bart Simpson inside of you enjoy shooting guys in the ass, or kicking them into giant venus flytraps.

I think we all realise its a joke, the problem is the joke isn't funny. Game is fun though.

Adam J.

Their attempt at humor is a total train wreck, but I think that's what makes it funny, to me, in a roundabout way. It's stuff like Bulletstorm that inches us closer and closer towards the movie Idiocracy becoming a reality. I laugh to keep from crying.

Adam J. said:
The thing is, a joke isnt funny just because you say its a joke.

Dabanton

So how many people complaining about the supposed embarrassing characters and crass dialogue in Bulletstorm are going to be buying KZ3 on release day with no complaints?

There is a certain stink of hypocrisy wafting through this thread.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Dabanton said:
So how may people complaining about the supposed embarrassing characters and crass dialogue in Bulletstorm are going to be buying KZ3 on release day with no complaints?

I think some of us prefer to forget that series exists after KZ2

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Dabanton said:
So how may people complaining about the supposed embarrassing characters and crass dialogue in Bulletstorm are going to be buying KZ3 on release day with no complaints?

the point is the tongue-in-cheek dialogue isn't as funny as it was intended. the second point is that we haven't heard it yet, because demo introduction =/= in-game and cutscene dialogue and is likely to be written by marketing staff.

Dabanton said:
So how many people complaining about the supposed embarrassing characters and crass dialogue in Bulletstorm are going to be buying KZ3 on release day with no complaints?

Well even if Killzone 3 also is embarrassing, and people are hypocrites and buy that one but not this because of it, Bullet Storm isn´t less embarrasing for that.

I find it surprisingly funny to think that there are so many regular video game players who find this game's shtick embarrassing at all. It's so plainly obvious and in your face that I cannot find any reason to feel that way. But, you know, different strokes for different folks. I love it, partly because it's rare to have a sense of humor at all in a sea of games which take themselves entirely too seriously, and partly because I find the over-the-top nature appealing on a personal level.

spats

I didn't enjoy the demo at all, which was odd because I loved Painkiller. The score killing felt contrived and the dialogue wasn't funny even though it tried to be. Looking forward to DNF much more.

Teknoman

MightyHedgehog said:
I find it surprisingly funny to think that there are so many regular video game players who find this game's shtick embarrassing at all. It's so plainly obvious and in your face that I cannot find any reason to feel that way. But, you know, different strokes for different folks. I love it, partly because it's rare to have a sense of humor at all in a sea of games which take themselves entirely too seriously, and partly because I find the over-the-top nature appealing on a personal level.

The funny part is, most of the dialog people are complaining about, doesnt take place during the gameplay. Not sure how the characters are embarrassing either.

Maybe they should've put in an actual story level instead of a score attack stage? The game is more about using your current environment/situation to the best of your abilities, killing multiple enemies as fast as possible. The score based off that seems like it'll be secondary in the actual story mode.

Teknoman said:
The funny part is, most of the dialog people are complaining about, doesnt take place during the gameplay. Not sure how the characters are embarrassing either.

Maybe they should've put in an actual story level instead of a score attack stage? The game is more about using your current environment/situation to the best of your abilities, killing multiple enemies as fast as possible. The score based off that seems like it'll be secondary in the actual story mode.
I love when the girl says quit farting around.
Also Queens of the Stone Ages "Era Vulgaris" is perfect music for the demo.

Definity

I've played the dicktits out of this demo. Stopped around 12,500 for a score and I think that's all I got for now.

Looking forward to the anarchy co-op mode and those team skill shots.

RedSwirl

I don't know how to get more than 5,000 points on this thing, and almost all of that is up to and including the sideways elevator gimmick.

My problem is that the game doesn't award points for any damage done before the finishing blow. I could lasso a guy, then attach a grenade, then kick him, and detonate, and for all that it only counts as a normal 10-point kill. I try to experiment while I have a guy in slow-mo but I'll mess up aiming at something and screw up the whole combo. I also can't get any use out of the minigun since I found that using the flail gun at the sideways elevator part gets more points, and after I pick up the minigun there's so much lull before the next enemy encounter that it always runs out before I get there.

RedSwirl

After reading some of the thread I think my main problem is that this game doesn't feel quite right on a controller. This is the developer's first game that has console versions right?

Definitely feels like the kind of thing I'd buy at a Steam sale for $20 six months down the line.

Aske

1) Demo is awesome.

2) Jennifer 'Fem-Shep' Hale told me to quit fartin' around.

I haven't enjoyed weapons in an FPS like this since Turok 2. I had a blast with the score attack mode, and I don't generally care for score attacks. Gunplay is slick and satisfying, the environments are gorgeous, and the level design seems promising. The campaign will be glorious. I've never played a demo this many times, and will be pre-ordering the game - very rare for me these days. I hadn't paid any attention to it before the release of the demo.

As for the protagonist: he's pretty much Marcus Fenix meets Wolverine, so I have a tough time understanding these levels of hate. It just feels like Gears of War TNG. Suits me just fine.

PjotrStroganov said:
NO U!

And it's a demo, not a game.

A demo is an indication of the game.

The final game could be better than the demo offcourse, which mean it would suck slighly less ass.

I found the gameplay a bit tiresome due to the somewhat anemic difficulty but certainly fun enough to kick around a few bodies the first time. The problem with the dialogue isn't that its over the top 12 year old spotty virgin writing, which is generally pretty funny, but that it sounds like a first draft. I'll still pick it up after the inevitable and immense price drop. Very glad games like this are being made (Serious Sam and Painkiller are among my favourites), but I'm pretty disappointed here.

I don't get where people are coming off saying Bulletstorm "sucks". It's obviously not going to be everyone's type of game with the writing style, and the gameplay style really being aimed at being a fast, crazy, arcade type shooter to the max. But saying it "sucks?" It's a graphical powerhouse. It's got some great mechanics between the whip, your kick, your gun, and environmental interactions that haven't really all been meshed together by any other first-person shooter. Like I said, you may not be impressed by those mechanics personally because it may not be your style, but I think saying it "sucks" or is "bad" is a little off key.

Aske

subversus said:
Why do you think Hale is in this? There is nothing about Bulletstorm on her imdb page - http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0354937/

That's weird, since it's on her Wikipedia page and on the Bulletstorm forums. Google 'Jennifer Hale Bulletstorm' for multiple confirmations, a few of which I've linked.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jennifer_Hale

http://www.giantbomb.com/bulletstorm/61-30088/credits/

http://www.bulletstormforum.com/bulletstorm-game-discussion/90-bulletstorm-voice-actors.html

Shurs

Dabanton said:

A lot of what you're talking about is very much toned down in Killzone 3.

Top Bottom