• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie Replaces Marathon Director Amid Leadership Shakeup, Fears of Layoffs

Draugoth

Gold Member
bungie-marathonleadership-blogroll-1710796346524.jpg

According to multiple sources familiar with the matter, Bungie is in the midst of shifting around its creative leadership on Marathon, including removing long-time Bungie designer Christopher Barrett from the game director role. IGN learned he is being replaced by former Valorant game director Joe Ziegler, who left Riot Games for Bungie in 2022.

IGN has reached out to Bungie for comment on whether or not Barrett will remain with the company. Bungie has not yet responded to IGN's request for comment, but shortly after we reached out, Ziegler confirmed his appointment as game director on X/Twitter.

"For the last 9 Months I’ve been working on Marathon as the game director," he wrote. "We’re still baking, but I’m excited to share with you more info on the game as we get closer and closer to bringing it to all of you.

Kacho

The game director?! Well, that's usually not a good sign.

The game's direction has shifted somewhat under Ziegler's new leadership, one source says, including moving away from custom player characters in favor of a selectable cast of heroes.

If Sony knew what they were doing they would also retool the game into a single player campaign. But I don't see this happening sadly, not this late.
Bungie hasn't made a good single-player campaign since Halo Reach. All they know to do now is piece-meal content with a convoluted story explained through exposition.

Bungie had a god run. One of the best. Time to shut it down.
Wouldn't that be an awful look on Sony though? A veteran studio like Bungie that developed certified bangers franchises like Halo with Microsoft and Destiny with Activision gets shut down by Sony with nothing to show for it.

ProtoByte

As much bs as Bungie has done since... well, starting Destiny, I can't help but think Marathon is going to work out to some degree. Could be wrong though.

Turning into a bullshit hero shooter. Fuck all the way off.

Sony, finish the takeover, cancel this bullshit, and double down on destiny by having them make a Destiny 3 without the utter dogshit monetization that 2 has.

Isn’t Destiny a hero shooter? What is wrong with a hero shooter?

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
Sony's been making one boneheaded decision after another, taking their position for granted and chasing new monetization strategies and audiences. I miss the passion of mid-PS3 through PS4 era Sony. It seems like they've become largely out of touch with what players actually want.

Bad guy Sony forcing Bungie to make real games again.
john huston work GIF by Warner Archive
Not sure on the details of the contract but doesn't Bungie have complete creative control?

Bungie has said it will remain independently operated and be able to release its future new games and IPs multiplatform as well.

I knew they had some almost unbelievable caveats written into the contract.

DrFigs

Not sure on the details of the contract but doesn't Bungie have complete creative control?

Bungie has said it will remain independently operated and be able to release its future new games and IPs multiplatform as well.

I knew they had some almost unbelievable caveats written into the contract.
no one knows the details, but it's doubtful they would have total control: they're a sony subsidiary who have to respond to shareholders.

Nydius

That would seem to make the Sony beign displeased rumor more likely. Wonder how this is going to turn out.
My thoughts? I wouldn't advise anyone to hold their breath for Marathon to actually release. Destiny 2 will probably have it's swan song with Final Shape and then Sony will step in and take over Bungie and restructure the entire damn company. Unless they have something phenomenal to show for Marathon, it'll probably get thrown in the bin and they'll be refocused into making Destiny 3 with Sony's direction on release cadence and monetization.

Just how I see things going.

JaksGhost

Sony's been making one boneheaded decision after another, taking their position for granted and chasing new monetization strategies and audiences. I miss the passion of mid-PS3 through PS4 era Sony. It seems like they've become largely out of touch with what players actually want.
Largely out of touch with their general audience or just GAF's audience because the numbers are telling a different story.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
Largely out of touch with their general audience or just GAF's audience because the numbers are telling a different story.
They have zero first-party games slated for the entirety of 2024. That is absolutely embarrassing and a sign of piss-poor management. They're not dying in a gutter, but they are definitely in decline. I think the goodwill they developed with core gamers is essentially the momentum they've been running on for a while now, but they've made a ton of poor decisions.

PSVR 2? They sent it out to die.
Bungie purchase? Disastrous.
The Last of Us: Factions? Dead.
Massive layoffs, including from new studios that haven't even put a game out yet.
PS5 sales "underwhelming" and in decline.
It seems like all they make now are third-party cinematic action-adventure games. And some of their recent content, especially with Spider-Man 2, has been polarizing for their core audiences.

They've been running on fumes of goodwill, and those fumes are running out.

Last edited:
Well that's not entirely true is it? As you well know the Sony powers that be are not happy with the margins the PS division is pulling in, so you may be happy but Sony aren't.

Top Bottom