• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie takes new IP to Activision for 10 year multiplatform publishing deal

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
priceisright.jpg

Aspiring said:
Really? Any key Bungie staffers there or what? Seems kinda crap no?
Frank O'Connor (OuterWorldVoice on gaf) is, some form of Franchise Development Director.
Left Bungie to go to 343.
There seems to be plenty of great people there (Ryan Payton, Corrinne Yu), Halo'll be okay.

So since I love Bungie, should I not loathe Activision anymore?

Man, remember how well Valve and Activision got along, long before the Infinity Ward shipwreck?

But I'm sure Bungie are going into this with their eyes open!

venne

Shurs said:
At least now, publishing with someone other than Microsoft, you'll be able to play Bungie games on your PC again.

Yeah, because Activision does so well with the PC.

*looks sternly in the direction of MW2 on PC*

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Peff said:
Can't Activision force them to release what they want? I mean, say they make a new super succesful IP... if they have exclusive publish rights to Bungie games, they can refuse to publish any projects until they start developing a sequel to that, right?

343 Studios, owned by MS.

In the past, I know Timegate deliberately put out the same game 3 times to get around a bad publishing contract with Strategy First. Who says Bungie couldn't release some poison pills themselves?

mr afghan jones

Neo Member
Where does this leave ongoing support, new maps, playlist management etc for Reach?

Seems weird, Bungie and Activision have always felt like total opposites in the way they run their businesses and treat their community. I am afraid.

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Technically. But how independent can you be with a 10 year exclusive publishing contract, and with the Devil, no less? There have been so many horror stories coming out of Activision in recent years and they jump straight into this? I honestly have to question Bungie leadership's sanity.
The question is if Activision can dictate the release schedule or any in-game aspects. Just because Activision are publishing doesn't mean they can make this a yearly franchise or whatever.

Elios83

That's kinda unexpected.
I mean, I was expecting that they would make a multiplatform game eventually while their focus would continue to be Halo but this is much bigger.
It's basically their next BIG IP, post Halo saga, going multiplatform with a greedy publisher like Activision betting on a 10 years plan around it, not a single game.

Matt_C

TheGreatDave said:
Because when I think successful FPS publishing, I think Capcom.

Why not sign with Konami too?
The Bungie name is able to sell on it's own with the casual masses. I am even more shocked that Take2 hasn't given an offer. I remember back in the PS2 days that Rockstar games allegedly had the rights to use the Halo engine or something.

Mad_Ban

What the fucking fuck?

Hopefully Activision redeem themselves in my eyes when Bungies new game is out. I refuse to break my Activision boycott. :p

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Damn, that certainly came out of nowhere.
Looks like Bungie will still be independent though, and not stuck with whatever ATVI wants them to do like Bizarre.
Still, both biggest studios who worked for MS are now with Activision.

I know that this'll be forgotten in three posts, but it's only a publishing partnership. Activision haven't purchased Bungie, and they have no control/say over the IP. This is not an Infinity Ward/Activision deal; it's just a publishing deal. It's just using them as publishers. It doesn't even, at this stage, guarantee that they'll be multi-format; they might be moving to PC only, for all we know.

JDSN

Banned
:lol Some great posts here so far, someone even mentioned honor in a serious manner. Now im kinda hoping for something similitar to happen to Naughty Dog.

Aspiring

Zeouterlimits said:
Frank O'Connor (OuterWorldVoice on gaf) is, some form of Franchise Development Director.
Left Bungie to go to 343.
There seems to be plenty of great people there (Ryan Payton, Corrinne Yu), Halo'll be okay.

So since I love Bungie, should I not loathe Activision anymore?

Oh OK cool. I was just wondering where abouts the series would be headed, but it sounds like its in good hands. I do wonder though if it will be the same, just as people are questioning CoD without IW staffers.

Shurs

venne said:
Yeah, because Activision does so well with the PC.

*looks sternly in the direction of MW2 on PC*

At least there is a PC version. We've seen Microsoft kill off PC versions of games before, in order to push the 360 platform. It's a smart business move on Microsoft's part, but if you're an independent developer, you want to get you game into as many hands as possible. Signing with Activision over Microsoft allows Bungie's next game to be on more than just the Xbox.

mr afghan jones said:
Where does this leave ongoing support, new maps, playlist management etc for Reach?
I'm sure that's already in the Reach contract between MS & Bungie.
Bungie aren't going to abandon the game, don't worry.

Still crazy. So crazy.

Peff

whatevermort said:
I know that this'll be forgotten in three posts, but it's only a publishing partnership. Activision haven't purchased Bungie, and they have no control/say over the IP. This is not an Infinity Ward/Activision deal; it's just a publishing deal. It's just using them as publishers. It doesn't even, at this stage, guarantee that they'll be multi-format; they might be moving to PC only, for all we know.

But it doesn't mean that Activision HAS to publish every single thing Bungie comes up with either. And since they have exclusive rights, they kinda do have a say, don't they?

Suzzopher

JDSN said:
:lol Some great posts here so far, someone evem , mentioned honor in a serious manner. Now im kinda hoping for something similitar to happen to Naughty Dog.

We'll no doubt see Insomniac sign with them by E3:lol

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Someone really needs to photoshop Kotick's head onto the Million Dollar Man's Body

With the Caption reading:

"Everyone has a Price....Hah Ha Ha Ha!"....Money, Money...Monnneeeeey $$$$$$$$$

HiResDes

whatevermort said:
Nice to see a voice of reason amidst all of this senseless rage, but with that being said Kotick can suck a big one, and Satan's big one at that.

Matt_C said:
The Bungie name is able to sell on it's own with the casual masses. I am even more shocked that Take2 hasn't given an offer. I remember back in the PS2 days that Rockstar games allegedly had the rights to use the Halo engine or something.
But essentially all this is is a contract to fund and publish software. No one has a better history for selling large quantities of FPS games and marketing them well than Activision lately. Hell they can probably turn their MW2 Plastic Crap Factory in to a Bungie Plastic Crap Factory, so how can Bungie resist?

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Nice move.

Bungie: "So, Bobby, we've got an idea for this game."

Kotick: "Yeah, that's nice. Here's everything you need to know about Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3."

Bungie: "but, creative fre..."

Kotick: "Listen."

Bungie: "What?"

Kotick: "Modern Warfare 3."

Bungie: "*sigh* OK, but as long as we get to do our i.."

Kotick: "Yeah, whatever."

Bungie: "So, we'll just get started on Modern Warfare 3 then?"

Kotick: "Yeah, and, erm, I need you to finish this by october 2011."

Bungie: "But, we need to familiarize ourselves with..."

Kotick: "MODERN WARFARE 3 OCTOBER 2011!!!"

Bungie: "Yessirmisterkoticksir."

Yagharek

:lol :lol holy shit, insane news. Its not april 1st again is it? (Checks PS3 clock)

Well, I can only see this ending in tears and a mass defection to wideload studios

Dipswitch

Very interesting, on many levels. It seems to be for this one new IP, so if it's good Activision stands to make some nice cake. As does Bungie obviously.

I'm assuming MS had right of first refusal, so I'd love to know the reason why they decided it wasn't worth their while. IP wasn't strong enough in their eyes perhaps? Halo is what brought Bungie to the big leagues obviously. Their other IP's have been interesting, but haven't exactly set the world on fire sales wise as far as I can tell.

And finally, multiplatform. Will be interesting to see which platform they gravitate to as the lead. Or will they allow other studious to port their titles?

Questions questions......

Combichristoffersen said:
what

the

fuck

They chose Activision?
In all seriousness, it was probably Bungie's best decision. It's an easy sell to Acti suits, meaning everything would be on their terms. Plus they could leverage Activision's hemorrhaging against itself. I'm sure there's tons of pressure on Activision to find something new to hang it's coat on, plenty of room to get great deal. I mean, you'll have to sue to get them to honor the contract, but still.

Shurs

JDSN said:
:lol Some great posts here so far, someone evem , mentioned honor in a serious manner. Now im kinda hoping for something similitar to happen to Naughty Dog.

You do know that Sony owns Naught Dog, right?

Blimblim said:
Damn, that certainly came out of nowhere.
Looks like Bungie will still be independent though, and not stuck with whatever ATVI wants them to do like Bizarre.
Still, both biggest studios who worked for MS are now with Activision.
All that remains is the Activision console.

This'll be a nice E3... :lol

Feindflug

WTF? is this real?

I love their games and wish the best for them by going multiplatform but signing a contract with the devil is some dangerous shit. :lol

Top Bottom