• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Burnout creators spin off Crash Mode into its own game, Danger Zone

Well Burnout Crash on ipad and iphone was great, i mean, great for bathroom sessions and for killing time. Easy to pickup, hard to master, a good time sinking mini game.

Always dreamt of a version of the game over Steam/Android, now this comes out of nowhere. I hope they do the maths correctly because like in Crash, the game could turn pretty much boring.

The best mode in Burnout was "Takedown"? The mode where you have to destroy as many other races as possible.

I'd much rather have the racing mode where you try to take out as many people as possible. Better yet, just get Microsoft to make Burnout 3 the first orginal xbox game backwards compatible on XB1.

Road Rage, that's what it was called.

And I've been hoping they'd put Burnout 3 on PS2 for PS4 myself since it doesn't run very well on PCSX2.

Hmm. Being stuck in that one dull, dark looking environment seems like it'd get old real fast. Half the fun of crash mode was that you were causing mass traffic chaos out on the streets.

Yeah, that sounds pretty disappointing tbh. Much rather have all the different road setups and intersections.

But we'll see. If people say it's good then I'll pick it up.

It's cheap so I'll keep an eye on it, but to be clear when I said I wanted more burnout, I definitely didn't just mean crash mode. This is kinda disappointing

Yeah, I had hoped they'd be working on a proper Burnout successor too. Crash Mode was great, but I'd hoped for proper single-player races too.

Not expecting too much after how shallow Dangerous Golf was and considering this is only $12.

Was Dangerous Golf not very good then? I've very nearly bought it a couple of times.

Game looks cool and I hope it's successful!

Also I'm surprised nobody has backed them with some funding, especially one of the smaller European publishers like Focus Interactive, Deep Silver or THQ Nordic. A proper spiritual successor to Burnout has crazy potential especially in the modern market where arcade racers are few and far between.

If I worked for a big publisher I'd be loading up the money cannons to fire at Three Fields. I wonder if they're big enough at the moment to handle an FPS like Black again.

So fucking stupid Burnout hasn't had a release in so long.

I booted up the PS3 and started playing Burnout Paradise again a few weeks ago, and it's still excellent. Really need a new one; goddamn it EA.

They didn't say when in May. Any chance they will be on PS+ at launch? At least they'd generate some guaranteed income from the PS4 version and get the game in user's hands to spread the word.

Road Rage, that's what it was called.

And I've been hoping they'd put Burnout 3 on PS2 for PS4 myself since it doesn't run very well on PCSX2.

I still went back to it on 360 back compat every once in a while. The music is basically the soundtrack of my high school days, and it still feels so damn good to play. I haven't touched it since I packed up the 360 though. I can't think of any game I would want more on XB1 BC.

Please add in PSVR support down the line. I've been dreaming of walking through the middle of a frozen or super-slow-motion Burnout crash mode scene for years.

Orca

FINALLY - this was the most fun I had with Burnout and I've been hoping for ages that someone would bring it back, even as just a side mode for a Burnout game.

messiaen

Crash mode was my favorite in Burnout 3. I remember being disappointed by the attempts in Paradise and Revenge.

This is welcome though. I always felt the Burnout series was unique and this was one of its big charms.

I felt 3FE targeted too high spec machines last time around for a mid range title. Expecting the same situation here from the screenshots. Such a shame because they got it so right with Burnout Paradise on PC.

I still went back to it on 360 back compat every once in a while. The music is basically the soundtrack of my high school days, and it still feels so damn good to play. I haven't touched it since I packed up the 360 though. I can't think of any game I would want more on XB1 BC.

Did it play well? Because I know it's available digitally on the 360 marketplace and I would buy it if it plays well since I don't have my PS2 anymore.

And hell yeah on the soundtrack. 6th gen EA Trax was the greatest; SSX, NFS, Burnout, Madden, etc had the best licensed music of the time. I discovered so many bands/artists from those games.

Not buying until it gets an Archer voice pack.

*Shudders*

Anyway, I'm keen! I really hope this is good fun and that's a competitive price point too. Three Fields does need this to be a success, I'd LOVE to see a new full Burnout 3 style game in the future. Speaking of which, what gives EA? Why'd you drop the ball so hard? Piss NFS off for a while and bring back Burnout.

DrDamn

Looks great with the really major caveat that there is no multiplayer. No online MP I get, small team, limited scope project, cheap price and online MP quite a big undertaking. No couch MP is criminal though. Burnout has always been about couch MP play for me. Split screen Road Rage or pass the pad crash zones. It's a huge mistake not to included it in this game.

kyle-777-

Well, hope they make a true successor in the future with all modes, not just crash, which is good but not the best IMO.

wwm0nkey

Well, hope they make a true successor in the future with all modes, not just crash, which is good but not the best IMO.

again, that's the plan right now, they just didn't make enough money from Dangerous Golf to make the full thing so it got split into 2 games with this one funding the racing half.

Man, no idea Dangerous Golf had done so poorly. Bums me out. That thing wasn't perfect, but it was fun and silly and gave me hope for them to find their footing and release a new masterpiece. I have faith in them, and in a world without Burnout I will put all my eggs in their basket.

Did it play well? Because I know it's available digitally on the 360 marketplace and I would buy it if it plays well since I don't have my PS2 anymore.

And helm yeah on the soundtrack. 6th gen EA Trax was the greatest; SSX, NFS, Burnout, Madden, etc had the best licensed music of the time. I discovered so many bands/artists from those games.

I don't remember it having any problems. Think I'm gonna break out the 360 tonight and give it a whirl again.

AudioEppa

Ugh.. I just want Burnout Paradise 2 or a remaster of Paradise.

I gotta see a video of this, then I'll see if it's something I wanna play.

I must have been the only one who really didn't play Crash mode unless it was for the medals eh?

I freaking loved racing and doing takedowns on all of my opponents. That was Burnout for me.

Regardless I will for sure buy this so that I can support the devs! Hopefully they can make a full successor one day!

my personal favorite Crash Mode was in Burnout 2.

I thought Burnout 3 was a step down when they started introducing all the pickups

but I love Crash Mode, so I'll still buy this

I felt the same way. Burnout 3 was a huge upgrade visually, and the Crash Mode had added some air control. It seemed like it should've been a big improvement.

But after playing with it a bit, it turned out you had to aim for the score multiplier, or you had no chance of winning. And if you did hit it, you had virtually no chance of losing. It really put a damper on the whole mode.

I hope this one is more like 2 than 3. Ditch the icons and focus on the crashing.

edit: well, so much for that. I guess I'll pass. Bummer.

Pickups litter each area, and after speeding into the intersection and causing enough damage to earn a Smashbreaker, you can explode and tumble your way to pick up the three bronze and two silver pickups in each level. Getting these spawns a gold pickup, and collecting them in order gets you a Grand Slam payoff that will surely make your mark on the stage's leaderboard

archer.png

(this works on two levels)
Eyop!

Nyoro SF

I felt the same way. Burnout 3 was a huge upgrade visually, and the Crash Mode had added some air control. It seemed like it should've been a big improvement.

But after playing with it a bit, it turned out you had to aim for the score multiplier, or you had no chance of winning. And if you did hit it, you had virtually no chance of losing. It really put a damper on the whole mode.

I hope this one is more like 2 than 3. Ditch the icons and focus on the crashing.

edit: well, so much for that. I guess I'll pass. Bummer.

Agreed, that was a problem with Burnout 3. Before in 2 you could choose your own "crash path" and experiment from there, but in 3 you had to grab the multipliers to win, you didn't have a choice. Heavily reducing the experimentation.

Seems like the original devs didn't realize this. It will be rather dull if every crash course was just to follow a pre-determined path.

Top Bottom