• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buying a 4K TV for PS4K thread!

Pif

Banned
Most recommend at least 20Mbit for 4K streaming. That goes for all streaming services.

Thanks. Seems low considering 4K content *should* have a crazy high bitrate, but I just read that netflix 4K and a 4K Blu Ray are a huge disparity in quality. 4K streaming is compressed as fuck.

Venom Fox

Banned
Off topic but I dont understand comments like this. What does 4K add to watching a show like House of Cards?
Being able to see Kevin Stacey's Manly face with more detail. Being able to see his greying hair with more clarity. Being able to watch him win the 2016 election with more colour.

#FrankUnderwood2016

Hawk269

Oh the Samsung JU 6400 can't do 4k/60fps at 4:4:4 Chroma and no HDR too. So it won't be good for PS4 Neo right?

It will still be good, but we don't know enough of the neo to say for sure. What I can say is that I doubt a $400 box can output 4k/60fps games, unless they are flat shaded polygon games and static lighting etc. If you are strictly looking at 4k for gaming on console, most 4k sets will be fine as long as they have good scaler, but if you want HDR, you want PC gaming 4k/60fps and Chroma 4:4:4, you need a more advanced 4k TV to handle all of that.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Thanks. Seems low considering 4K content *should* have a crazy high bitrate, but I just read that netflix 4K and a 4K Blu Ray are a huge disparity in quality. 4K streaming is compressed as fuck.

Yea, I really don't know how they can get away with calling it 4K. These Netflix streams are likely the source of all the 'it looks no different to me' posts that stink up every 4K-related thread.

choofed.gif

Do people actually think this thing will get near 4K with games?

Movies, sports, youtube, other stuff (hopefully 4k bd). Netflix already has 4k.

BriGuy

I have a 70" 4k set I bought late last year. UHD content via netflix looks great, but the bump from 1080p to 2160p is less obvious than 720p to 1080p. I also don't bother gaming in 4k because I value high frame rates more than extra pixels.

The set isn't HDR though. I saw it side by side with a more expensive tv and I honestly didn't see a difference. I would write it off as enthusiast fluff (like the audiophiles who insist that their platinum-plated, virgin blood-soaked speaker wire sounds so much better), but I'm partially colorblind.

Hawk269

The upcoming Panny DX900 is really good too.

If it comes out. I still have last years Panasonic the 850U and it is a fantastic set. The new DX900 looks great, but still no mention on when and if it will come to North America. It released in Europe and Japan, but that is about it. Last years Panasonic was only sold by ONE US Retailer called Value Electronics out of New York. If you live in the U.S. your only choice to buy last years Panasonic was direct through them or Value Electronics.

I am not really sure what is going with them this year. I was waiting for them to release it, but they have not and the new Sony 940d FALD just released within the last 2 weeks and I decided to get that instead.

Hawk269

I have a 70" 4k set I bought late last year. UHD content via netflix looks great, but the bump from 1080p to 2160p is less obvious than 720p to 1080p. I also don't bother gaming in 4k because I value high frame rates more than extra pixels.

The set isn't HDR though. I saw it side by side with a more expensive tv and I honestly didn't see a difference. I would write it off as enthusiast fluff (like the audiophiles who insist that their platinum-plated, virgin blood-soaked speaker wire sounds so much better), but I'm partially colorblind.

If you could not tell the difference between HDR and NON HDR then it was not set up properly or you have very bad vision. HDR is more noticeable change than 1080p to 4k is. It is almost immediate difference when first seen. I never seen HDR until I bought my new set and ran the same movie on my 2013 4k Sony set vs. 2015 Panasonic 4k and my new set and the difference was immediate due to HDR.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
everyone is different... i personally think 50" and up is great... everyone saying you cant even tell on anything less than 55-60" are straight lying.

Ya damn right... I noticed a huge difference in PQ on a 43" 4K versus a 1080p set of the same size in the distance recommended that you supposedly cannot tell.

Pixel density is king in these instances.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

Have you never watched a 1080p Blu Ray compared to a 1080p stream from any streaming service? The difference is massive if you ask me. Speed Racer on BluRay is incredible looking and a gigantic step up from any streaming service I've seen it on.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Have to ask, since you have a 2015 Sony, is yours excessively dark during 3D playback? I have a 65'' X850C.

I have the X830C which does not have 3D. I would not have purchased it, but got a deal for the 49" for $600 brand new, so I just jumped on it over the $700 1080p set I was eyeing (W800C). Was not even in the market for 4K until the price fell in my lap, and notice how good it scales 1080p and that nice small pixel density.

However, I do notice active 3D seems to be 'darker', but I think that is something that can be tweaked in turning off some things in the settings. Possibly with the color temps. I noticed it was darker in game mode, but that was because it defaulted to Expert 1 un-tweaked, so I changed it to Neutral in that mode, and it brightened right up like it is in TV watching modes. Maybe that will help?

Well in that case, I will be blown away with UHD, because Netflix 4K and even YouTube 4K seemed to shit all over 1080p Blu-ray to me, even on a native 1080p set.

The 4K streaming looks fantastic to me with both those apps/services.

Caayn

Same with streaming 1080p and playing a 1080p blu-ray.

Netflix uses roughly 15.6M/bits with the h.265 codec for 4k stream, while a 1080p blu-ray can use 40M/bits with the h.264 codec. 15.6M/bits would roughly translate to 30M/bits on a h.264 codec. Leaving the 1080p blu-ray with a higher effective bitrate while using an older codec and only outputting a fourth of the pixels. Crazy when you think about it.

Boke1879

Been thinking of picking up a 4k tv anyway this fall. They are looking to be priced just right and they'll only get cheaper going forward. Definitely looking into the Vizio p

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I have the X830C which does not have 3D. I would not have purchased it, but got a deal for the 49" for $600 brand new, so I just jumped on it over the $700 1080p set I was eyeing (W800C). Was not even in the market for 4K until the price fell in my lap, and notice how good it scales 1080p and that nice small pixel density.

However, I do notice active 3D seems to be 'darker', but I think that is something that can be tweaked in turning off some things in the settings. Possibly with the color temps. I noticed it was darker in game mode, but that was because it defaulted to Expert 1 un-tweaked, so I changed it to Neutral in that mode, and it brightened right up like it is in TV watching modes. Maybe that will help?

Yea I have gone thru all the settings, and used a few custom profiles from AV forums, but it only marginally helps. I have been using active 3D since 2011 when I got my previous Bravia and the new one is noticeably darker. I suppose I can just learn to live with it.

4K uses h.265 codec which is a lot more efficient. So they can get away with using less bandwidth. That said, it's still low balling a good 4K quality because of the bitrate.

Yea, I really don't know how they can get away with calling it 4K. These Netflix streams are likely the source of all the 'it looks no different to me' posts that stink up every 4K-related thread.

I think it's because they can. I think most people care for knowing it's 1080p, or 4K rather than the quality of the bitrate which is by far more important. They just don't seem to care other knowing that they are watching it at high res without the context of what that means. It's the reason they're content with Netflix rather than wanting Blu rays. I think there's going to be an increase in the lack of caring when it comes to 4K. As long as they're told it's 4K, it's good enough.

Morts

I'm not buying a TV until the 55" I bought in 2010 dies, but Neo has me starting to hope that the cat knocks it over or something like that...

I wouldn't go rushing out to buy a 4K TV for 'PS4K/Neo'. The chance of it running games in 4K is slim to none (aside from maybe a few select indie titles). The fact that anyone thinks it will be running games in 4K is pretty out there. There are people running SLI Titan X and SLI 980ti setups that cannot run new games comfortably in that resolution. However, buying a 4K TV for film content is a great idea as it looks outstanding.

The_Lump

Banned
Get something bigger than 55". I cannot tell a difference whatsoever between 1080 and 4k on my 55" TV.

Maybe get an eye test. I have 27" 4K monitor and the difference in enormous. Like night and day. This isn't like 720p < 1080p.

Saying that, I'm not buying a new TV as an add on to a console which doesn't yet exist. I'll wait a year or so to see how PS4K takes off, and by then I'll probably just wait for PS5 tbh.

Robot Pants

Straight up wasting your money right now. But good luck.

lol k

oh ur banned lolololol

I have a Sony 65" Bravia and I love it to death. 4K is definitely worth it right now especially with the PS4K. Having an all in one machine that plays 4K Blu-Ray and upscales games is gonna be very worth it.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Maybe get an eye test. I have 27" 4K monitor and the difference in enormous. Like night and day. This isn't like 720p < 1080p.

Saying that, I'm not buying a new TV as an add on to a console which doesn't yet exist. I'll wait a year or so to see how PS4K takes off, and by then I'll probably just wait for PS5 tbh.

You're also most likely sitting way closer to a 27" computer monitor than you are to a TV set.

georly

1k is a bit low, but if you're willing to push for 1.5/1.8k you'll easily find a good set.

Future proof? Better wait for specs to stabilize once UHDBR are out and the dust has settled.

I mean, relatively speaking. I want it to be able to last 5+ years without feeling obsolete by the time PS5/etc comes out. I just wanna get one before Zelda U comes out (I just want a bigger TV for that, 65" is what fits in my living room - the 4K etc etc would be for future tech).

platocplx

I have a sony 65 inch xbr850 love it.

I think if anyone is in the market definitely go for a tv with android built in. Its so so so nice.

Mikef2000

I'm most likely gonna buy a 4K also after Neo comes out. But it makes no sense to buy one now. 4K TV prices are only going to continue to come down. And if Neo is released this holiday season, I can get a much better deal by then. If it's going to be released next year, even better.

And if you're buying a 4K TV make sure it has HDR, otherwise you are purchasing something that is already outdated.

lol k

oh ur banned lolololol

I have a Sony 65" Bravia and I love it to death. 4K is definitely worth it right now especially with the PS4K. Having an all in one machine that plays 4K Blu-Ray and upscales games is gonna be very worth it.

It has not been confirmed if the ps4 Neo will play 4k Blurays.

Certinty

Happy with my 49" 4K Sony. Android software was awful but in all honesty it's pretty good now, useable at the very worst. Got mine for very cheap too so can't complain. But may upgrade to a bigger one when the PS4K arrives.

Mikef2000

It has not been confirmed if the ps4 Neo will play 4k Blurays.

If it doesn't, then that might be the one of the stupidest moves yet by Sony. In fact, I believe that the sole purpose of existence for the Neo is to push the sales of 4K TV and content. And 4K Bluray is a big part of that.

Markitron

My girlfriend has a Phillips 4k TV and the input lag is atrocious.
Are there any 4k TVs with good input lag?

Mine is 21 ms, I can't notice a difference. It's a myth that 4K TV's all have terrible input lag.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
CyberPunked said:
Do people actually think this thing will get near 4K with games?
I'd ask that the other way - if given a choice - which would people care about? 4k or 1080p with marginal(potentially including framerate) improvements?

ViciousDS

Banned
I mean, relatively speaking. I want it to be able to last 5+ years without feeling obsolete by the time PS5/etc comes out. I just wanna get one before Zelda U comes out (I just want a bigger TV for that, 65" is what fits in my living room - the 4K etc etc would be for future tech).

Wait for UHD premium TVs to hit.....they have a set standard they must meet to hit that premium name. UHD premium is going to be the standard. So you could say all 4k TVs out right now are obsolete

WadeitOut

If it doesn't, then that might be the one of the stupidest moves yet by Sony. In fact, I believe that the sole purpose of existence for the Neo is to push the sales of 4K TV and content. And 4K Bluray is a big part of that.

If it doesn't play 4K blu rays, then anyone who buys a 4K tv just because of this console is an idiot. You will be buying a 4K TV to upscale to 4K that any 4K TV already does with the existing PS4.

If you have to, get one with HDR. Or wait until they actually announce what the ps4k is.

(hint: games won't be 4k, it's just a tagline they can put on the box and push in their marketing)

icespide

Banned
If it doesn't play 4K blu rays, then anyone who buys a 4K tv just because of this console is an idiot. You will be buying a 4K TV to upscale to 4K that any 4K TV already does with the existing PS4.

games could potentially run at higher than 1080p, just not quite 4K, so the upscaling isn't extreme?

is that a thing?

Top Bottom