• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CA adds to states it won't reimburse gov't worker travel to [discriminatory laws]

entremet

Based on discriminatory laws in said states.

http://www.travelpulse.com/news/imp...bans-official-travel-to-four-more-states.html

California attorney general Xavier Becerra has banned all state-funded and state-sponsored travel to Alabama, Kentucky, South Dakota and Texas, citing new state laws the Golden State has deemed "discriminatory."

The Attorney General's office said Texas' House Bill 3859 enacted last week "allows foster care agencies to discriminate against children in foster care and potentially disqualify LGBT families from the state's foster and adoption system."

According to the Texas Tribune, the ban means that California agencies, departments, public universities, commissions and boards won't be able to pay for their employees or members to travel to Texas for work-related trips.

A new California law that went into effect Jan. 1 grants Becerra authority to issue the ban.

Nonetheless, Texas Gov. Greg Abbott doesn't appear too concerned.

"California may be able to stop their state employees but they can't stop all the businesses that are fleeing over taxation and regulation and relocating to Texas," his spokesman John Wittman told the Tribune.

California now bans state-funded travel to eight states altogether, including Kansas, Mississippi, North Carolina and Tennessee.

M52B28

Banned
According to the Texas Tribune, the ban means that California agencies, departments, public universities, commissions and boards won't be able to pay for their employees or members to
travel to Texas for work-related trips.
I don't know if I read this wrong, but holy fuck.

Pastry

Banned
I get the message but it seems like it's going to punish people in Cali more than it does Texas. There are tons of conferences, universities, research centers, etc in Texas that are pretty important and now anyone associated with the state of California either can't visit them or has to foot the bill.

Like what if scientists from UCLA need to go to NASA or something like that.

PBY

Banned
This is honestly way jumping the gun

But shit this feels the closest in my lifetime to a real splitting of the union.

Damaniel

Banned
I get the message but it seems like it's going to punish people in Cali more than it does Texas. There are tons of conferences, universities, research centers, etc in Texas that are pretty important.

Sometimes you have to take a stand when red states do stupid things, and I say that as someone who has attended multiple conferences in Texas over the years.

Jeels

Texan here, screw Greg Abbot. A monster.

But this thing hurts California more than it affects Texas.

entremet

Not sure I agree. This might punish individuals more than states

Conferences, etc are held all over the place.

There are some exemptions:

The potential impact of California's ban on the four states is uncertain because a California law allows exceptions on travel for contracts that are already in place. According to the Sacramento Bee, there are also exemptions for law enforcement, tax auditors and training events that are required for grants.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
California should just bus all their homeless to those states if they really want to fuck with them.

I'm not serious that's a terrible practice.

jph139

If California is the only one doing this, it mostly just fucks over California.

If they manage to start a trend among left-leaning states? Then you've got a stew going.

Sucks for any state university travel to, say, Austin or any of the other major tech universities in Texas. I'm sure there are exceptions, but that sort of misses the point if there are exceptions.

Maxinas

Splitting the union would be really, really bad. At the same time, i'm tired of GOP and their bullshit.

This right fucking here. Why do you want the GOP to gain more power than they already have? The only way to stop those fuckers is to stand against them not cut ties.

Trace

Banned
Well at least someone is doing something about it. Good on California for standing up for what they believe in.

ramuh

It's only a matter of time before California will leave the Union. Can you imagine a California Armed Forces? Crazy. I think they should leave.

Pastry

Banned
Do people actually think California leaving would be a good idea? It would be a disaster for everyone involved. Economically, culturally, it would just be a shitshow. Not that the federal government would allow it anyway.

Raven117

Please...Please California. You are not going far enough. Please ban all folks from your state to coming to Texas. We are tired of you. You have ruined a great city (Austin).

California is a beautiful state..Stay there.

It's only a matter of time before California will leave the Union. Can you imagine a California Armed Forces? Crazy. I think they should leave.
California isn't going anywhere. Same when Texas wanted to succeed.

Its just a bunch of B.S.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I don't think it's the end of the union, but it truly doesn't bode well for the future. There are two distinct and vet separate cultures living in the US sand they hate each other. A Berlin Wall scenario seems plausible at this rate.

I get the message but it seems like it's going to punish people in Cali more than it does Texas. There are tons of conferences, universities, research centers, etc in Texas that are pretty important and now anyone associated with the state of California either can't visit them or has to foot the bill.

Like what if scientists from UCLA need to go to NASA or something like that.

Not to mention all the flights that transfer through DFW

So are flights into/out of/connecting through DFW no longer reimbursable?

Why are government employees taking non essential trips? What's the difference?

The definition of "essential."

jph139

As attractive as the Balkanization of the US sounds, I'm pretty sure this is meant more to disincentive the adoption of these sorts of laws, not spark a collapse.

Bestcoastia formation imminent

;)

Seriously though it makes sense
The blue states have the vast majority of the economic power in this country
Might as well use it to force other states to stop being so backwards

ShowDog

I believe the justification is more to protect California employees that might face discrimination in those states from having to travel there as part of their job, rather than punishing Texas etc. Even making a trip to those states "optional" would afford people who could go an advantage over those that choose not to. So ban for everybody.

I agree it hurts CA more than TX but what are you going to do when they discriminate against protected classes on your staff?

brian577

Banned
I believe the justification is more to protect California employees that might face discrimination in those states from having to travel there as part of their job, rather than punishing Texas etc. Even making a trip to those states "optional" would afford people who could go an advantage over those that choose not to. So ban for everybody.

So why not travel warnings instead of screwing over the people who really need to go?

ShowDog

So why not travel warnings instead of screwing over the people who really need to go?

I'm just explaining the rationale, feel free to disagree. But it's easy to imagine a situation where someone heeds the warning and chooses not to go and ends up getting passed by for a promotion over the candidate who could attend the training and is at an advantage. How does the State win that lawsuit?

brian577

Banned
I'm just explaining the rationale, feel free to disagree. But it's easy to imagine a situation where someone heeds the warning and chooses not to go and ends up getting passed by for a promotion over the candidate who could attend the training and is at an advantage. How does the State win that lawsuit?

How is that different from someone who can afford to eat the cost of the trip vs someone who can't and gets promoted. Same outcome, same lawsuit.

Top Bottom