• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Ghosts 360/PS3/WiiU/PC box art appears, 11/5/2013, rumored details

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Your mock up makes it look like a horror game, which it is not. Looks good, but dosent fit the game IMO.

Makes it look like some sort of Silent Hill-esq horror game. I totally see why they don't use that for the official art.

You guys are probably right. Companies like this focus test the shit out of their promotional material, and while it might seem obvious to seasoned gamers, having art that instantly communicates the kind of media associated with it is important. That doesn't exactly say "military shooter", whereas the dude pulling off his mask (as boring as it is) points more in that direction.

That being said, purely from a stylistic point of view and appreciation for nice looking shit, I'd take my mockup a million times over the current cover. If only reversible covers became a standard.

codghosts_360slce2.jpg
I don't know why, but every time I look at this box I think it's a guy tipping his boonie hat, not a guy putting on a mask. Maybe it's just me.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I don't know why, but every time I look at this box I think it's a guy tipping his boonie hat, not a guy putting on a mask. Maybe it's just me.

Yeah, that's what it looked like to me too. It wasn't until the discussion on the past couple of pages that I realized it what the Ghost mask.

You guys are probably right. Companies like this focus test the shit out of their promotional material, and while it might seem obvious to seasoned gamers, having art that instantly communicates the kind of media associated with it is important. That doesn't exactly say "military shooter", whereas the dude pulling off his mask (as boring as it is) points more in that direction.

That being said, purely from a stylistic point of view and appreciation for nice looking shit, I'd take my mockup a million times over the current cover. If only reversible covers became a standard.

I completely agree about reversible covers. I want every game to have one. They can throw whatever focus tested shit and unnecessary logos on the front that they desire if I can have a clean, classy, and cool reversible artwork. The few games I have with reversible art are striking because of how clean they are.

Archpath1

didn't realize he was either putting on a new face, or taking it off.
distance from eyes to nose is too strange/far to be his own, finger placement when taking off a mask is usually on nose isnt it?

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Haven't read through this thread so this idea may have already popped up somewhere....

but what if Call of Duty: Ghosts has us playing missions from all of the KIA CoD Characters?

Spoilers to follow obviously.

But Ghost seems to be on the cover, hes dead. What if the game has us playing misc missions from Soap, Ghost, Gaz, Griggs, etc. 's point of view. Maybe tying them all in somehow to a more grand plot.

Just a thought, didn't think it through or flesh it out much but maybe.

kuYuri

Haven't read through this thread so this idea may have already popped up somewhere....

but what if Call of Duty: Ghosts has us playing missions from all of the KIA CoD Characters?

Spoilers to follow obviously.

But Ghost seems to be on the cover, hes dead. What if the game has us playing misc missions from Soap, Ghost, Gaz, Griggs, etc. 's point of view. Maybe tying them all in somehow to a more grand plot.

Just a thought, didn't think it through or flesh it out much but maybe.

From Tesco leak:

The franchise that has defined a generation of gaming is set to raise the bar once again with the all-new Call of Duty®: Ghosts. Published by Activision and developed by Infinity Ward, the studio that created the original Call of Duty and the seminal Call of Duty®: Modern Warfare® series, Call of Duty: Ghosts ushers in the next generation of the franchise, delivering a riveting all-new gameplay experience built on an entirely new story, setting and cast, all powered by a new next-generation Call of Duty engine.

If you go to GameFAQS you can see an ad banner for Ghosts already up with a link to the trailer that currently leads to a 404 page. What's interesting is that the banner only says Xbox, not Xbox 360.

Pitmonkey

If you go to GameFAQS you can see an ad banner for Ghosts already up with a link to the trailer that currently leads to a 404 page. What's interesting is that the banner only says Xbox, not Xbox 360.

Can you link the 404? Banner is not showing up for me

Ridley327

Best Buy has this featured in their ad next week. The artwork they use for it has the same weird fade-to-black on the top that the boxarts for the PC and Wii U had, which validates them a bit further. The ad mentions pre-orders for just PC/PS3/360, but they've got a sale next week on CODBLOPS2 that excludes the Wii U version for whatever reason, so I don't think that too much should be read into that.

I'm on a phone now but I did take a crappy picture of it off a moniter with my phone camera. Wish I could add an image without a URL.

prag16

Banned
Best Buy has this featured in their ad next week. The artwork they use for it has the same weird fade-to-black on the top that the boxarts for the PC and Wii U had, which validates them a bit further. The ad mentions pre-orders for just PC/PS3/360, but they've got a sale next week on CODBLOPS2 that excludes the Wii U version for whatever reason, so I don't think that too much should be read into that.

The Wii U versions of games being ignored even when they exist would probably be par for the course, so as you said nothing to read much into there.

I'd be surprised if CoD was absent from Wii U this early in the cycle. Support the platform early, reap the benefits later on when (if) the install base is large. This is probably why Ubisoft is supporting it, and it's also why GTA possibly COULD appear on Wii U as well. By that same logic they probably should have supported BO2U with DLC; it couldn't have cost a whole lot.

Another thing I can't work out with the WiiU box is that it has the developer logo. Where as most WiiU game boxes only contain the publisher logo. It's kind of inconsistent. I know Nintendo has a house style for their materials but wasn't sure if it has been loosened up.

Wish it would come out within the next hour or so. Really interested to see the new sub-series of COD and curious to see why only IW is the developer on the cover.

bidguy

Banned
pretty sure it will be a small reveal trailer without any gameplay. could even be a teaser. its very likely theyll debut the gameplay on may 21.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I hear the trailer is coming during the commercials in the re-run of "Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives" on Food Network tonight. Any truth to this?

"Set in the future, kind of like Black Ops, but with current generation weaponry. Some plot event forces people of that time period to use our generation weapons."

This honestly is the most hilarious thing I've ever heard of in a Call of Duty game. They actually managed to move forward without changing anything at all. Brilliant.

Vidpixel

While the box art isn't the greatest, can't we agree that it's still a slight improvement over "dude walking from explosion" or "dude standing front and center looking intimidating...and stuff."

I see this listed only for Xbox 360 and PS3...
Also, why in the world would Activision not launch on next generation systems? This sounds like suicide from a long term perspective.

Tomcat

"Set in the future, kind of like Black Ops, but with current generation weaponry. Some plot event forces people of that time period to use our generation weapons."

This honestly is the most hilarious thing I've ever heard of in a Call of Duty game. They actually managed to move forward without changing anything at all. Brilliant.

people prefer current generation weapons. they cant go in the future and have lasers guns or future m16s. it wont work with its install base.

Also, why in the world would Activision not launch on next generation systems? This sounds like suicide from a long term perspective.

engadget says its coming to all formats

I think they pulled down the article though (someone jumped the gun)

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

They are launching on next gen systems, they just didn't put the logos there because Xbox isn't announced yet. I'd put money on this game being at MS' event.

Top Bottom