• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Calvin and Hobbes: Share Your Favorite Strips!

Status
Not open for further replies.
zJ1NY.gif

Couldn't find a bigger size. Sorry!

Risible

Forkball said:
Calvin and Hobbes is probably the most overrated comic ever. There are some good ones, but honestly I don't get the appeal.

I seriously don't understand this mindset. "Oh look, a thread titled Calvin and Hobbes: Share your Favorite Strips. This would be the perfect place for me to air my dislike of the strip!"

Just fuck off the next time you get the same idea.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Forkball said:
Calvin and Hobbes is probably the most overrated comic ever. There are some good ones, but honestly I don't get the appeal.

You're not necessarily stupid, although you may be a slobbering nimrod. No, you're something worse than dead inside.

Where most people are filled with a vital, beating heart, a hot engine of passion and love and wonder, you are almost, but not quite empty. Deep inside you is a tiny ember of maleficent poison, a sharp little thorn of endless torment, a splinter of wretched, burning shit.

GTFO sir, GTFO.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Such a good strip, one of my all time favorites along with Bloom County and classic FoxTrot.

So much of my childhood was spent reading thick anthologies of C&H, Bloom County, Far Side and FoxTrot.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Amakusa said:

aw you fucker, you made me all sad. Its like the end of winnie the pooh - yes that makes me cry, what of it?

BTW, I'm assuming his kid looks like susie deliberately? Eventually he overcomes his fear of cooties then :)

mightynine said:
For those who want to get the complete collection, I was in Barnes & Noble this week and it was 50% off.

Wish I wasn't broke.

That's not bad; I'm tempted to check out my local B&N.

I have all of the previous collections and treasuries, but without The Complete C&H my collection will never be, well, complete. I definitely need to get off my lazy ass and pick it up one of these days.

Spaceman Spiff said:
That's not bad; I'm tempted to check out my local B&N.

I have all of the previous collections and treasuries, but without The Complete C&H my collection will never be, well, complete. I definitely need to get off my lazy ass and pick it up one of these days.

I've been thinking about it but many have said it's mostly for commemorated purposes, not really for reading. That really bums me out.

Satyamdas

Banned
Grimm Fandango said:
I've been thinking about it but many have said it's mostly for commemorated purposes, not really for reading. That really bums me out.
Screw that. Yeah it's expensive, and yeah it looks so regal you feel as though just touching the thing somehow dulls its magnificence, but I can't think of a better gift to a future kid or grandkid, or even to yourself as you grow older than to revisit a well worn collection of the greatest comic strip ever. Those strips are meant to be absorbed, enjoyed, and reread over and over. They aren't meant to be shelved in pristine condition away from eyes and hearts that will always find pleasure in that beautiful content.

Alucrid

Banned
Satyamdas said:
Screw that. Yeah it's expensive, and yeah it looks so regal you feel as though just touching the thing somehow dulls its magnificence, but I can't think of a better gift to a future kid or grandkid, or even to yourself as you grow older than to revisit a well worn collection of the greatest comic strip ever. Those strips are meant to be absorbed, enjoyed, and reread over and over. They aren't meant to be shelved in pristine condition away from eyes and hearts that will always find pleasure in that beautiful content.

Agreed. What do you mean they're not meant to be read? The binding doesn't hold up well? Just get them strengthened or rebinded. It might cost a bit, but we're talking about Calvin and Hobbes here.

Satyamdas said:

It's more about the quality of the collection. They aren't exactly hard bound so wear and tear is a very realistic problem.

Alucrid said:
Agreed. What do you mean they're not meant to be read? The binding doesn't hold up well? Just get them strengthened or rebinded. It might cost a bit, but we're talking about Calvin and Hobbes here.

Never heard of this. What is it?

Satyamdas

Banned
Grimm Fandango said:
It's more about the quality of the collection. They aren't exactly hard bound so wear and tear is a very realistic problem.
I have the complete collection so I know all about its binding issues. And I'm saying I don't care. In 25 years I want that thing to be pulled out and read by someone unfamiliar with it, pages yellowed and slightly ragged, binding coming completely undone, looking like some ancient tome of witchcraft with mystical secrets within its pages, some of which have fallen completely out of place. I want the book itself to exude the character and world weary fatigue that the strips themselves express. It deserves as much.

A question, GAF: the Sunday strips in Attack of the Deranged Mutant Killer Monster Snow Goons, (the full title must always be used), have not been published in color outside of the Complete C&H, correct?

It's always bothered me that that content was never included within one of the colored collections.

Alucrid

Banned
Grimm Fandango said:

Never heard of this. What is it?

Well, I'm guessing that they used glue to old the pages in? You can generally have them rebinded and have the pages stitched in instead.

GhaleonEB

Thanks aesop. That's the series I was meaning when I said 'the raccoon'.

ntdOn.gif

This just demolishes me every time. Watterson was a genius, somehow creating juxtaposing child fantasies, adult social critiques, abstract art and gripping emotional narratives and truths into a comic strip. I'm as passionate about Calvin and Hobbes as I am about any kind of art.

Personally, I love any time Roslyn the baby sitter arrived. Especially the time Calvin locker her homework in the bathroom. :D
chuckddd said:
:D

My daughter and I break out the Complete Collection on a weekly basis. Gawd. Spaceman Spiff. The transmogrifier. The time machine. Suzie. The baby sitter. Backing the car out the driveway. The noir detective. So much greatness.

hemtae

I like the strip where calvin's dad stays up late to do his work after he played all day with calvin in the snow. Also any strip with calvin and hobbes discussing philosophical matters while on the tobbogan is golden

Oozer3993

Spaceman Spiff said:
A question, GAF: the Sunday strips in Attack of the Deranged Mutant Killer Monster Snow Goons, (the full title must always be used), have not been published in color outside of the Complete C&H, correct?

It's always bothered me that that content was never included within one of the colored collections.

Our copy of Attack of the Deranged Mutant Killer Monster Snow Goons, so I can't verify this, but there are two collections of Sunday strips: Lazy Sunday Book and Calvin and Hobbes Sunday Pages 1985-1995. All the strips in each are in color and I'd imagine some of them are from Attack of the Deranged Mutant Killer Monster Snow Goons.

Fun fact from Sunday Pages 1985-1995:

EwJ7r.gif

Bill Watterson said he redrew this strip in a vertical format for the square and vertically themed book collections. In the books, it looks like this:

Bqhz7.jpg

Vinci

Danish
Greatest comic strip ever. Bar none. Not even close. I have read the collections with my oldest child and will do so with my youngest.

Oozer3993 said:
Our copy of Attack of the Deranged Mutant Killer Monster Snow Goons, so I can't verify this, but there are two collections of Sunday strips: Lazy Sunday Book and Calvin and Hobbes Sunday Pages 1985-1995. All the strips in each are in color and I'd imagine some of them are from Attack of the Deranged Mutant Killer Monster Snow Goons.

Fun fact from Sunday Pages 1985-1995:

EwJ7r.gif

Bill Watterson said he redrew this strip in a vertical format for the square and vertically themed book collections. In the books, it looks like this:

Bqhz7.jpg

This page is brilliant. I love how the intersection of the trees subconsciously form the panels of the strip in our minds.

Niks

Truly great.

I think Calvin and Hobbes will withstand the test of time, and hopefully it will still be appreciated in decades to come.

Iceman

Can you believe we were blessed with the Far Side along with Calvin and Hobbes for such a long stretch of time?

These were true works of genius.. I recognized that even as a child. I savored every new strip as the most revered work of art, knowing that one day the well would dry up and we'd only be left with fond memories and a huge void.

Comic strips haven't been the same since.

Retro

I've always found this one to be particularly poignant while 'working' on things...
nRu9J.jpg

wLCfR.jpg

3mamc.gif

And who the hell can actually hate Calvin and Hobbes? It's inconceivable, they must be trollin'.

I forgot about some of the more emotional comics, looks like I need to browse through my collection again.

Also, that Motivational picture of "The Future" is both heartwarming and heartbreaking. Even though it's not done by Waterson, it still evokes emotion.

Amakusa said:
This thread is awesome, but please, please stop with this shit. Nonsense like this is like posting a phone camera picture of a great painting. Nothing can touch the heart and relevance of the comic itself, and everything even remotely referencing Calvin and Hobbes and not done by Bill Watterson is just completely trite and unnecessary and detracts from celebrating the comic.

This is a "here, this is my favorite Calvin and Hobbes comic" thread, not a "hey, I found something vaguely related to Calvin and Hobbes on StumbleUpon 2 years ago let me show you because I just have to have something to post" thread.

GhaleonEB

Iceman said:
Can you believe we were blessed with the Far Side along with Calvin and Hobbes for such a long stretch of time?

These were true works of genius.. I recognized that even as a child. I savored every new strip as the most revered work of art, knowing that one day the well would dry up and we'd only be left with fond memories and a huge void.

Comic strips haven't been the same since.
So true. I have the complete collections of Calvin and Hobbes and The Far Side next to each other on my living room shelf. I didn't realize how lucky I was to be young when they were ongoing - comics just aren't the same now.

I still remember making my own C&H albums as a kid, cutting out the newspaper strips into a photo album. Did that until the same strips hit a book, then restarted.

Cyan

Banned
Iceman said:

Not me. I thought that newspapers having incredible comics like Calvin & Hobbes and the Far Side was just how things were.

It was only after Calvin & Hobbes ended that I realized there would never be anything like it again.

Kano On The Phone said:
This thread is awesome, but please, please stop with this shit. Nonsense like this is like posting a phone camera picture of a great painting. Nothing can touch the heart and relevance of the comic itself, and everything even remotely referencing Calvin and Hobbes and not done by Bill Watterson is just completely trite and unnecessary and detracts from celebrating the comic.

This is a "here, this is my favorite Calvin and Hobbes comic" thread, not a "hey, I found something vaguely related to Calvin and Hobbes on StumbleUpon 2 years ago let me show you because I just have to have something to post" thread.

I usually agree, but I think that without the silly demotivational poster part of it, it's a pretty durn decent piece of fan art; it doesn't touch Watterson, but it's the closest that I've seen anybody come.

Does anybody remember seeing those animated Calvin and Hobbes in French that were posted a while ago? They were also pretty decent as well. Anybody remember those and/or have a link?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
J2PNB.jpg

Man, so much nostalgia. As a kid I read these front to back so many times, I think I still have one of them somewhere. It's amazing how much about it that I get now that I didn't then, it's timeless.

Kano On The Phone said:

That is the ONLY C&Hesque piece I personally allow. It's done in the art, the spirit, and the reverence C&H demands.

MisterHero

One of my favorites is where Calvin and Susie play house and Susie uses Mr. Bun as a baby.

It's so awesome because of the dramatic illustrations.

Here it is!

baby.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom