• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can - plastic bottle - glass bottle: What tastes the best?

Maxey

Can it be a freshly squeezed lemonade instead?

Coke tastes like crap to me from any of those options.

Glass bottle coke is the best.

But a frosty cold can is a thing of beauty. That first mouthful is amazing.

I never buy the 500ml plastic bottle, I never finish it and the ends taste awful.

Same with the bigger plastic bottle, always goes flat in the fridge.

Glass and plastic are equally good to store drinks (beer included). The with plastic is purely perception: it doesn't look as good as glass, nor does it get as cold, so we perceive the liquid inside to be warmer.

Both of this methods are great, because during the bottling process, the oxygen inside them can be almost completely taken out (we're talking over 99% oxygen free drinks after the bottles are sealed). The lack of oxygen inside helps prevent liquid oxidation, which makes everything taste funky (and it's also the reason why you should always poor your beer with a healthy foam head).

Cans are completely different. during the filling process they are top-less (they look like aluminium glasses). A top-less can is structurally weak, so the oxygen inside can't be properly taken out. This leads to slightly oxidized drinks, which are poorer in quality to those in either plastic or glass bottles. Some people claim canned drinks tend to taste slightly metallic, that's the oxidation right there. It's not like the aluminium is actually leaking its metallic taste.

So there you go. Plastic =glass >>>> can. An argument can be made about plastic, since it's safer (it doesn't shatter, it can't be used as a weapon, plastic is often allowed inside stadiums and other venues), but from a quality point of view, it's virtually indistinguishable from glass.

KorrZ

Glass bottle. I don't know why, but it always seems a little bit sweeter and a little bit crisper. Can't go wrong with the glass bottle.

Same. I don't know if it's an actual thing or a mind trick since it feels more "premium" I guess? Either way, I've always thought the glass bottle tasted the best.

MGrant

6MP1h321HItTa.webp

Eh? Why aren't you people drinking it out of a keg with an optional bit of rum to keep it kicked? All of the OP's options allows too much opportunity for the carbonation to escape.

In my weaker moments, I buy from large plastic bottles and drink from cups, largely to save money. But I grew up on cans, so that feels the most "real" to me as a soda drinking option

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Glass is almost always best. i still long for the days when Listerine came in glass bottles because it didnt lose potency.

Nose Master

For coke, can. Bottles, even glass are always less... potent? And since it's so sweet and acidic the metallic taste adds to it imo.

Beer on the other hand, glass. Though if you pour it into a glass it literally makes zero difference.

RedStep

Glass bottle to diamond-encrusted chalice is ideal. But if you don't have one of those, a red Solo cup is second choice.

Xyber

Glass is the definite winner, unfortunately it's not something that's really available at most places here in Sweden.

But between can and plastic bottle, I would never pick plastic over can. Difference is quite big between the two.

Dipper145

No sorry, that is absolutely under no circumstances allowed. Shame really.

I think glass bottles are the best, but they're more pricey, so I'm always going cans.

sphagnum

Banned
Glass and plastic are equally good to store drinks (beer included). The with plastic is purely perception: it doesn't look as good as glass, nor does it get as cold, so we perceive the liquid inside to be warmer.

Both of this methods are great, because during the bottling process, the oxygen inside them can be almost completely taken out (we're talking over 99% oxygen free drinks after the bottles are sealed). The lack of oxygen inside helps prevent liquid oxidation, which makes everything taste funky (and it's also the reason why you should always poor your beer with a healthy foam head).

Cans are completely different. during the filling process they are top-less (they look like aluminium glasses). A top-less can is structurally weak, so the oxygen inside can't be properly taken out. This leads to slightly oxidized drinks, which are poorer in quality to those in either plastic or glass bottles. Some people claim canned drinks tend to taste slightly metallic, that's the oxidation right there. It's not like the aluminium is actually leaking its metallic taste.

So there you go. Plastic =glass >>>> can. An argument can be made about plastic, since it's safer (it doesn't shatter, it can't be used as a weapon, plastic is often allowed inside stadiums and other venues), but from a quality point of view, it's virtually indistinguishable from glass.

That metallic tinge is what makes can soda so good though.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Can tbh

Cans get cold bois. They get cold as fuccccc

Glass bottles can only dream about those low temps

Breh u ever grab an ice cold can outta the fridge and that shit HURTS UR SKIN it's so cold?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

Canning beer typically leads to lower packaged DOs than similarly priced bottling lines.

I'm so glad the GAF can finally agree on something so important! I came in here half way thinking you heathens would be saying plastic bottle is the best.

Glass x10000

EGM1966

Glass bottle of course.

Yuch at you lot who like the taste of coke contaminated by a can. Can't drink from can straight: gotta pour it out into a glass.

Plastics fine but lacks the weight and style of glass to hold.

I think I may be taking coke drinking too seriously.

shira

Imagine you sitting on a hot summer day outside on your balcony enjoying the heat and sun. However after some time you decide to go inside to grab a drink, maybe an ice-cold cooke. In your fridge you have:

-A can of coke
Coke_12oz.png

-A 1L plastic bottle of coke.

-A 6-pack of coca-cola in glass bottles.

What do you decide to drink? And why?

I prefer not to drink corn syrup laced acid, but glass seems to taste best with other drinks like water and wine - doesn't retain that tinny metallic taste or waste the envirnoment

Top Bottom