• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can Pokémon Sun/Moon become the best selling game of 2016?

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Pokémon Sun and Moon will launch in November 18 2016 in America and Japan, and 23 November 2016 in Europe.

solgaleo_luna_pokemon_sun_moon_legendaries.jpg

We are talking about the seventh generation of Pokémon, one of the biggest series ever in the videogames world, and not only.

It's a 20 years old series, with the release of the first generation back in February 1996 in Japan (and then released in the west in 1998), most likely the biggest Nintendo series ever, which saw an insane success during the last half of the years 90.

A success which is recently explosed again thanks the release of Pokémon GO. But i think we all know this, we know how insane is this phenomenal, as we know how much this helped the sales of the originals Pokémon games, and even 3DS hardware sales.

3DS was the best selling console (yes, console ;) ) in USA during July 2016, and Pokémon games as ORAS or XY saw an impressive increase in sales, charting very high.

Individual SKUs (by sales)

01. Monster Hunter Generations
02. ???
03. ???
04. ???
05. ???
06. Minecraft: Wii U Edition
07. ???
08. Pokémon Omega Ruby
09. ???
10. Pokémon Alpha Sapphire
11. Kirby: Planet Robobot
12. ???
13. ???
14. ???
15. ???
16. Pokémon X
17. ???
18. ???
19. ???
20. ???
21. ???
22. Pokémon Y

As well this is happen in UK, with Pokémon games sells almost 9,000 unit that week, and in Italy we don't only know that 3DS hardware and Pokémon games sales increased, but we also know that Pokémon Sun and moon pre orders are the biggest in the history of the series.

So an impressive boost in sales is basically happen everywhere (including Germany, France, ecc)

The Pokémon GO phenomenal is still insane, and the hype for Sun and Moon is massive.

Will it help Pokémon Moon and Sun to become the best selling game of the year?

With games like GTA V, Call of Duty Infinite Warfare, Battlefield 1, Titanfall 2, Watch Dogs 2, FIFA 17, OverWatch, The Division, and others successfull release, do you think Pokémon Sun and Moon can top all of them thanks the success of Pokémon GO?

small_358239571.jpg

Talk about sales:

POKEMON SALES

Main games
Pokémon Gen 1 = 31.38 million
Pokémon Gen 2 = 23.10 million
Pokémon Gen 3 = 16.22 million
Pokémon Gen 4 = 17.63 million
Pokémon Gen 5 = 15.60 million
Pokémon Gen 6 = 14.98 million [STILL SELLING] (is a given will outsell Gen 5)

Remake
Pokémon Gen 1 remake = 12.00 million
Pokémon Gen 2 remake = 12.72 million
Pokémon Gen 3 remake = 12.24 million [STILL SELLING] (is a given will outsell Gen 2 remake... by a good margin)

First year sales for Pokémon XY and ORAS

Pokémon XY = 11.61 million (2013)
Pokémon ORAS = 9.35 million (2014)

*Note: all numbers you saw above are shipments + digital.

Others than that:

GTA V: It's freaking GTA. it sold over 5 million first 3 months of 2016, and with those insane legs will surely outsell A LOT of new release of 2016 (if not all).
Call of Duty: easy over 20 million lifetime, Black Ops III sold an estimate of 22 million by end of March 2016, best selling game on current gen console
Battlefield: usually a 15 million series according to EA (And Battlefield 3 sold 17 million after 10 months)
FIFA: insane Europe sales
OverWatch: 8 million sold first month, 15 million total players from last update
Watch Dogs: First game sold 10 million first year (2014)
The Division: the biggest new IP ever at launch (bigger than Destiny and Watch Dogs, which sold 4 million first week), over 10 million players as of June 2016.
Titanfall: 7 million; EA expect to sells 9-10 million copies of Titanfall 2

ecc

Thoughts? Will Pokémon Sun and Moon become the biggest game of the year?

Lagamorph

If they had released it when the Pokemon Go fever was at its peak I'd have said yes, no doubt.

By November the Pokemon resurgence will be fading again and Go will barely help sales in the West.

Sterok

Theoretically if Call of Duty, Battlefield, and Titanfall all eat into each other and Pokemon gets an appropriate increase in the US it could happen. Realistically COD will beat it easily, and Battlefield won't have much issue taking it down either. Pokemon will be number 3 though.

Bass260

No. Pokemon games have a long-tail and will most likely have the highest LTD overall but not YTD for 2016. I don't know if one platform (3DS) can match multiplatform sales on the others. But it will certainly do well enough even without the given Go bump.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
I believe the best selling games of 2016 are going to be:

01. Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
02. Pokémon Sun/Moon
03. GTA V
04. OverWatch
05. Battlefield 1

No, thats just ridiculous. A ton of people who are playing Pokemon Go but don't own any video game system aren't going to go out and buy a $100-200 new device to play it, you are basically counting on existing 3DS owners.

It won't help either that the NX is going to be announced in Sept, basically cutting the throat of 3DS sales.

I think people who are counting on Go increasing Sun/Moon sales are going to be disappointed when it charts lower than ORAS, simply due to fewer people actively using their 3DS than last year or the year before.

I wouldn't be surprised if GTA5 outsells Sun/Moon in just this year and next year, it seems to be the one game that everyone eventually owns on a console.

Phediuk

It'll be Battlefield 1.

BF4 sold over 25 million for God's sake. That's more than any Pokemon game except the originals.

How much did Overwatch sell again? Like 15+ million?

Also I dunno about best selling 2016, but Pokemon games have long-ass legs and end up selling a ton usually during a long period. I wouldn't count on it being the best selling of the year, but it'll definitely do really good numbers.

I bet it will match those Gen 4 numbers at least when all is said and done, but I don't think it will beat any of the major multiplatform releases. How well do the eShop games do considering GO?

Neoxon

It'll sell well, no doubt about that. But I fear that it'll be held back by the NX pulling the rug out from under the 3DS this September (if Eurogamer's report on the reveal is on the money).

18-Volt

Pokémon and CoD will probably go head to head this year. Pokémon has two advantages: Japan and you can buy Pokémon's system for the price of LE edition of Call of Duty IW. It's cheap even if you don't have 3DS/2DS.

After surprising MH:G sales I expect anything.

It's probably going to be Overwatch, then Battlefield, then Pokemon. It's still impressive to see such an old IP perform so well though, especially since it's core gameplay hasn't changed much.

Ricky 7

No Cod and Battlefield are 20+ million sellers. I'm expecting Sun and Moon to do 15 million at best but tbh I'm note sure if it'll be able to outsell X and Y. Still though for a 20 year old series to be pulling these numbers is impressive.

Vice

It will be the highest single platform release by a lot. Definite lock for top 5 best seller of the year.

It'll sell well, no doubt about that. But I fear that it'll be held back by the NX pulling the rug out from under the 3DS this September (if Eurogamer's report on the reveal is on the money).
If the rumors are on the money, I think the NX reveal will convince people waiting on getting a 3DS because the NX is just around the corner to buy a 3DS and Sun and Moon instead 😁😁😁

Top Bottom