• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can Pokémon Sun/Moon become the best selling game of 2016?

injurai

Banned
If the rumors are on the money, I think the NX reveal will convince people waiting on getting a 3DS because the NX is just around the corner to buy a 3DS and Sun and Moon instead 😁😁😁

The people that would do that, would be the same people to buy the NX at the end of cycle.

Depends on what your metric is.

I could see it beating Watch Dogs' and Titanfall's lifetime sales with Pokémon having a second, if waning, wind.

First week or first month sales though? Doubtful, difficult to beat those numbers when you're comparing sales on one platform to three or four.

Edit: I'm not referring to the upcoming sequels.

Pokemon go has put Pokemon back in people's minds. Sun and Moon will definitely be standout sellers compared to past Pokemon games. It won't beat big hit multiplatform games, but it will beat their sales per each platform comparison.

Pokemon sun and moon will definitely beat everything when comparing individual SKUs, but when you add multiplatforms together, then I doubt it.

I still think Overwatch will end up being No1.

Pokemon will be no2 because of that fact that Battlefield and CoD will be split this year more than ever.

And now the page is saying it sold over 100m, so no... Someone is messing with it.

If you look at the actual sales section on the page, the only sourced number is 7m as of May 2014.
Oh wait the guy was trying to say the game sold over 25m? I didn't notice that because I skipped straight to the sales section.

Battlefield 3 was a fucking phenomenon for multiple reasons that don't apply to 4, so a huge decline sounds more believable than 4 pissing on 3's sales with 25m.

Lynx_7

I think people who are counting on Go increasing Sun/Moon sales are going to be disappointed when it charts lower than ORAS, simply due to fewer people actively using their 3DS than last year or the year before.

There's not a single reason to believe this is going to happen unless Sun and Moon are unprecedented flops. Black and White were released even later in the original DS's lifecycle and that outsold both HG/SS and D/P/Pt week 1 sales by a considerable margin, and there wasn't even a Pokemon GO like phenomenom backing them up. Sun and Moon will easily outsell the gen 3 remakes.

I don't believe it'll be the best selling of the year though.

Neiteio

It's launching simultaneously in China, which should make for some insane worldwide numbers, especially after the Pokemon Go craze.

Long-term it will outsell these other games, but Pokemon's sales are usually just good upfront instead of totally amazing upfront. And then they well a ton long-term.

It will do better than those games if you want to compare a large timespan, but just within 2016? probably not. Gonna do better than the last gen though.

Top Bottom