• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can The 3DS and Switch Coexist Together?

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
They kind of have to until switch can reach anywhere near a comparable number of units sold. I'd guess it'll be 3 years before they actually say anything about phasing out the 3DS. We might have a new switch "pro" upgrade by that time...

People wont buy a Switch if it isnt getting games.

As much as we all love Nintendo, after the spectacular mismanagement and failure of their last system, Nintendo is under extra scrutiny. Ive had people in real life (casual gamers at best, indifferent to gaming at worst) bring up the crowbcat Switch video to me. Convincing them its just a handful of faulty units has been an uphill battle.

oti

Banned
No.

If the 3ds continues to get many games all it is doing is taking away from the switch.

Still sell it to budget conscious people, but the Switch is a failure if the next unannounced pokemon/fire emblem/handheld Mario etc isn't for the Switch.

The whole point of the system is to have all of Nintendo's games in one place.

The next Mario and Fire Emblem games are already announced for Switch.

NimbusD

They could... But why?

Yeah 3ds is cheaper, but switch will get there eventually. Start putting all your teams in switch development and you'll have the games too. Have the games and people will buy it.

oti

Banned
They could... But why?

Yeah 3ds is cheaper, but switch will get there eventually. Start putting all your teams in switch development and you'll have the games too. Have the games and people will buy it.

Because the 3DS has an installed hardware base of 65 million+ units?
Because development for the 3DS should cost a fraction of development for Switch?
Because the potential revenue on Switch is a fraction of the potential revenue on 3DS?
Because not everyone wants to pay 300 + 60 for a Switch + one game?
Because Nintendo needs the super cheap point of entry for new costumers, especially for those who play their games on smartphones first?

wege12

I don't want them too but I think they can and will. The switch is the most powerful handheld released to date and I'd much rather see devs focus on games built from the ground up on switch to really see what it's capable of.

Newk86

Just no nostalgia for 240p graphics in this thread it seems. We're never going to see new N64-PS2 era graphics again post 3DS. At this stage I'm just hoping we'll see western releases of DQXI and Ever Oasis on the system at the very least.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Because development for the 3DS should cost a fraction of development for Switch?
Because the potential revenue on Switch is a fraction of the potential revenue on 3DS?
Because Nintendo needs the super cheap point of entry for new costumers, especially for those who play their games on smartphones first?

Sony and MS should just have continued making games for PS3 and 360 since they have install bases of 80 million each. Why make games for PS4 and XB1 when they have half the install base?

Platy

I will never understand this type of argument.

It sounds like you will trow your switch into the trash after you finish Breath of the Wild, not like having a system that lots of quality stuff will continue to made for at least 4 more years

Falchion

I wonder if developers will keep making games for it since the development costs are so much lower and it's got a good install base.

Slermy

No, I do not think they will co-exist together, I wish they would though.

I'll randomly take my 3DS with me (moreso when Streetpassing was bigger). I will NEVER bring my Switch with me unless it is a planned outing to meet up with other people...and in that case I'd rather just play online.

Personally, the system is just too big to fill the handheld gaming space for me.

Speely

Banned
Isn't one of the biggest reasons for the Switch's design so that Nintendo can consolidate development onto one platform?

Sorta hard to do with 2 supported platforms that are so different. I guess they could outsource more 3DS stuff (and prolly will,) but I am not sure how long that will work with big first-party games releasing only on the Switch.

Sony and MS should just have continued making games for PS3 and 360 since they have install bases of 80 million each.

Both companies supported their legacy hardware with new software for around a year or so after the launch of their successors. Which is exactly what Nintendo will do with the 3DS (maybe add six months to that).

dcx4610

I thought the original idea of the Switch was to consolidate the console and handheld market but then Nintendo acted like the 3DS will survive and won't compete which I think is absurd.

If you go into GameStop, Target, Walmart or any retail store, these 3DS section is abysmal. Very little games, maybe 1 or 2 systems if that for sale and almost no accessories. The 3DS seems to be ending its run despite what Nintendo wants to tell you.

I think it would be in Nintendo's best interest to sell the Switch as your complete Nintendo solution for home and portables. The 3DS got some decent 3rd party support so if developers know they are going to get a piece of both pies, they would hopefully be more willing to participate.

Pepboy

These were all true for the DS vs. 3DS as well. Zelda Botw might sell fewer copies today but will keep selling as they sell more consoles. Same is true for other games.

The Dude

I thought the original idea of the Switch was to consolidate the console and handheld market but then Nintendo acted like the 3DS will survive and won't compete which I think is absurd.

If you go into GameStop, Target, Walmart or any retail store, these 3DS section is abysmal. Very little games, maybe 1 or 2 systems if that for sale and almost no accessories. The 3DS seems to be ending its run despite what Nintendo wants to tell you.

I think it would be in Nintendo's best interest to sell the Switch as your complete Nintendo solution for home and portables. The 3DS got some decent 3rd party support so if developers know they are going to get a piece of both pies, they would hopefully be more willing to participate.

Yea exactly . It's so frustrating when new gear drops and people just can't let go and move on from ancient hardware.

ggx2ac

Switch is more accessible to developers with better APIs and middleware thanks to Nvidia. Snake Pass just released on the Switch and as an Unreal Engine 4 game it took Sumo Digital a couple of weeks to get the game running on Switch.

Switch is going to experience growth and will very likely outdo 3DS in shipments next FY. 3DS is going to end up with only ~7-8 million units shipped this current FY. That will decline next FY because it is a 6+ year old system.

Nintendo is producing 16 million Switch units next FY, it will likely outdo the 3DS unless Game Freak is releasing new Pokémon games for 3DS every couple of months.

The Switch has been selling well regardless of its $300 price, it just shows people find value in the system to want to purchase it.

The cheap point of entry for Nintendo games is on smartphones. Consumers will decide whether to buy a 3DS or Switch afterwards and that will be affected by what games are available. If Pokémon Stars and Super Mario Odyssey are not on 3DS, it is very likely those smartphone users will choose the Switch.

there_can_be_only_one_highlander.gif

Switch all the way; combine the home and portable teams to maximize first party output!

I wouldn't care if they co-exist.... BUT, I dont want 3DS exclusives, I want all of Nintendo's handheld series/games on the Switch.

The way you reason this we would have still been on the NES.

Circinus

In terms of popularity and sales figures/market relevance? Probably not for long. 3DS will likely slowly, but steadily fade away.

Terrible handheld by the way imho. Switch represents a huge leap from 3DS imho.

by this logic i see no reason to live in 240p hell for another 10 years

good job

ill be voting with my wallet and supporting switch

Top Bottom