• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can we please stop with the whole "60 fps is not cinematic" argument.

RetroStu

Banned
Slightly off topic but people have mentioned The Hobbit and i just wondered if anyone knew why the Blu-Ray doesn't run at 48fps or to have the option to do it?. Are Blu-Ray players unable to run movies at that rate or something?

Wait, people used the "cinematic" excuse seriously? I thought that was always sarcastic? Not even joking, I always read "it's more cinematic" as if it had a lot of winking done afterwards...

LastNac

The problem is that developers of these "movie-like" AAA game experience aren't doing that at all. Case in point being the regression to 30 or sub-30 fps in favor of more flash and "next-gen" graphics/visuals. That kind of compromise should never have been an issue in the first place. I'd rather have scaled down graphics but with high fps instead of the other way around.
I disagree, SSM uses developer controlled camera because they want the GOW series to look like a Hollywood epic. ND also started using dynamic gamer angles with UC3 and to a lesser extent with TLoU.

There is no rule that states that 60FPS is some kind of universal requirementfor anything visually. Something is not less if it doesn't have 60FPS.

TLOU can have its 60 fps but keep that shit away from my movies.

Yup. Games inarguably benefit from the highest possible refresh rate. But as you said, keep that shit away from my movies. I know it's only a matter of what I'm accustomed to, but it's not like that counts for nothing when 90% of the movie-going public agrees.

styl3s

I'd wager a drive by statement such as 'self-entitled internet warriors' is worse..

I'm okay if you prefer 30fps. I like 60/120fps. They're just video games; knowing what I enjoy doesn't create a sense of self-entitlement. Other people will have different opinions, and that's alright too. No need for the posturing.
The problem with the 30/60 debate is a lot of people hyperbole the shit out of 30fps and call it "unplayable"

30fps is not unplayable by any means and it's absoultely absurd to think that. If you are used to 60fps that's fine. I have been a PC gamer since 2000 and a console gamer since about 1985. I love both, 30, 60 or 120. I look for story when playing a game solely based on that. I look for tight and fun gameplay along with story on most others. I still pick up console games that run at 30fps over playing them on my PC that can run them at 60fps at times, that's how little of a shit i give about it.

GRANTED i do think that Racing and Fighting games both benifit from 60fps but that isn't to say 30fps makes them unplayable. Forza Horizon was fucking fantastic at it was 30fps.

LastNac

We've been putting out games at 30fps (more or less, yeah) for a while now. I mean, if you want only 24fps, that will let us put a whole lot more effects in!

Speaking less sarcastically, 30hz, 60hz and anything in between is more than just about being cinematic, it's about the underlying systems that affect gameplay and how they refresh. Your body/eye can't compensate for that like it does when watching 24fps source material on film. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge cinephile and buy Criterions, watch things in as original format as possible, etc., but in games, as most of us know, the higher the frame rate you can pull out, the better the overall experience, generally speaking.

Games vs. TV don't have that "soap opera" effect at higher than 24fps frame rates in my experience, but then again I'm not a dark10x frame rate peeper ;)

I, for one, am looking forward to seeing our final result with TLOU PS4.

Well, personal taste aside, is it not safe to assume that visual fidelity can increase with a lower framerate? Meaning Uncharted PS4 is going to be beautiful at 30FPS ;).

The problem with the 30/60 debate is a lot of people hyperbole the shit out of 30fps and call it "unplayable"

30fps is not unplayable by any means and it's absoultely absurd to think that. If you are used to 60fps that's fine. I have been a PC gamer since 2000 and a console gamer since about 1985. I love both, 30, 60 or 120. I look for story when playing a game solely based on that. I look for tight and fun gameplay along with story on most others. I still pick up console games that run at 30fps over playing them on my PC that can run them at 60fps at times, that's how little of a shit i give about it.

GRANTED i do think that Racing and Fighting games both benifit from 60fps but that isn't to say 30fps makes them unplayable. Forza Horizon was fucking fantastic at it was 30fps.

30 fps is completely fine when it never drops below, like in Forza Horizon or AC4 on PS4... but '30 fps' like in GTA5 and The Last of Us PS3 is what I personally find unplayable.

Frame drops break me out of the experience, and dropping from 30 is much more harmful than dropping from 60.

This. Neo Gaf is literally the only place that I've heard people arguing for higher framerate movies or saying that 24fps is jerky. High frame rate isn't bad by default but current technology makes it look like shit. Some people call it a "soap opera" effect but I think that's an insult to soap operas. Soap operas don't look fake when things start moving.

Games are the same way. Racing games look great at 60FPS imo. Actually tons of games do. Stuff with people generally doesn't to me. I blame it on tech combined with developer incompetence. If it was simply the framerate, nothing would look good. The fact that some things do leads me to believe that some studios simply are garbage at it while others aren't.

Ridley327

Slightly off topic but people have mentioned The Hobbit and i just wondered if anyone knew why the Blu-Ray doesn't run at 48fps or to have the option to do it?. Are Blu-Ray players unable to run movies at that rate or something?

Simply put, TVs can't output at 48 fps without a pulldown method that would incur a lot of stuttering. This is one area where I think James Cameron is going to have a tremendous advantage in for the Avatar sequels, since he's planning on shooting them at 60 fps, which doesn't need any of that nonsense to display properly on a TV set.

supersaw

Higher framerates in movies will happen eventually; it might take another decade but you will see the mainstream superhero and action movies doing it then before you know it the only 24fps movies out there will be indie films going for that "retro" feel.

Yup. Games inarguably benefit from the highest possible refresh rate. But as you said, keep that shit away from my movies. I know it's only a matter of what I'm accustomed to, but it's not like that counts for nothing when 90% of the movie-going public agrees.

What makes them "your" movies? They're MY movies just as much, and I want them at higher framerates.
90% agrees on 24fps? Are you sure about that, and why does it matter? Tyranny of the majority, yay! Frameskip would be easy to implement specifically for those who think they want it.

LastNac

Like I said in the other thread, visually speaking The Order is hitting all the right notes for me. The idea of locked 30FPS, the ratio, motion blur, etc.

Really curious to see how cinematic UC4 looks in comparison.

StuBurns

Banned
What makes them "your" movies? They're MY movies just as much, and I want them at higher framerates.
90% agrees on 24fps? Are you sure about that, and why does it matter? Tyranny of the majority, yay! Frameskip would be easy to implement specifically for those who think they want it.
'Frameskip'? No, if you have 48fps, and you shoot at 1/48, you can abstract basically a perfect 24fps version of a film, but if you go to anything about 48, you can't anymore.

RetroStu

Banned
Simply put, TVs can't output at 48 fps without a pulldown method that would incur a lot of stuttering. This is one area where I think James Cameron is going to have a tremendous advantage in for the Avatar sequels, since he's planning on shooting them at 60 fps, which doesn't need any of that nonsense to display properly on a TV set.
That was Cameron's orig plan but didn't i read that it had changed because of the 'backlash' against The Hobbit?, i thought i read that.
So anyway if AVATAR 2 runs at 60fps, we should also get 60fps on the Blu-Ray?.

GlamFM

Banned
iuHMClLCinzEh.gif

Wait, people used the "cinematic" excuse seriously? I thought that was always sarcastic? Not even joking, I always read "it's more cinematic" as if it had a lot of winking done afterwards...

It's predominantly used as a joke, but the joke is that a few believe it, like "I can't tell the difference between 720 and 1080p anyway" meme.

KJRS_1993

Can't we just agree that those who are really interested in the frame rate will play on PC and have a good time, and those who prefer an easier console experience will play on console and also enjoy themselves?

Then we can stop the dick waving on shit nobody cares about and focus more on good games.
Now amount of bitchy comments on either side will change anybodies mind on anything.

GlamFM

Banned
Can't we just agree that those who are really interested in the frame rate will play on PC and have a good time, and those who prefer an easier console experience will play on console and also enjoy themselves?

I don´t see how these things have anything to do with each other.

arit

Then we can stop the dick waving on shit nobody cares about and focus more on good games.
Now amount of bitchy comments on either side will change anybodies mind on anything.

It should be the other way around, (almost) stable 1080p@60 on consoles, and prettify toggles on pc. That way even after years of eyecandy advancements, when even those cinematic experience slideshows would look outdated and ugly, one would have timeless playable framerates.

zoukka

Some devs and publishers value framerate even on consoles. It's a valid discussion.

KJRS_1993

It should be the other way around, (almost) stable 1080p@60 on consoles, and prettify toggles on pc. That way even after years of eyecandy advancements, when even those cinematic experience slideshows would look outdated and ugly, one would have timeless playable framerates.

I'm really not fussed about what way which way it should be man. GAF can make itself look like a bunch of turds arguing about this every two days, when honestly, no amount of these threads has ever changed anyone's mind on anything.

I will never talk a PC guy around to why I enjoy consoles. A PC guy will never talk me out of enjoying consoles.
I know what I like, and so does he. And that's cool.

So why waste so much time and nerd rage trying?

nkarafo

Higher framerates in movies will happen eventually; it might take another decade but you will see the mainstream superhero and action movies doing it then before you know it the only 24fps movies out there will be indie films going for that "retro" feel.
Not only that. Future generations will look at out 24fps movies and wonder how could we be entertained with that shit.

Ridley327

That was Cameron's orig plan but didn't i read that it had changed because of the 'backlash' against The Hobbit?, i thought i read that.
So anyway if AVATAR 2 runs at 60fps, we should also get 60fps on the Blu-Ray?.

As far as I know, he hasn't budged on shooting at HFR at all. He's a stubborn son of a bitch, and if his mind is set on doing things a certain way, you're not going to talk him out of it.

The Blu-ray situation is an interesting one, because players do support 1080p60, but there's an issue of disc space to consider, and that would only be in 2D, since HDMI profile is still limited to either 1080p24 or 720p60 for 3D anything on Blu-ray players. That will probably change once 4K becomes more widespread, but that's what is currently needing to be dealt with.

StuBurns

Banned
Video compression is more effective the higher the framerate, so while per frame a 60fps film would be more heavily compressed, it's not like it would mean the visual quality impact is hurt relative to that compression hit.

coldfoot

Banned
With all else being equal, of course I'd rather have 60 fps in games, but they're not equal and with some genres I'd rather have 30fps with prettier graphics.

For non-gaming, the only thing that looks better at 60fps is sports. Keep that shit away from my movies.

Sorry for the vulgar language, but The Hobbit at 48 fps looked like crap.

I like my games at 60fps but wouldn't mind having cutscenes in the 24-30 fps range. The best current example I thought of game that could use this was Ground Zeroes.

Squozen

I wish people would stop holding on to low framerates being cinematic in general. 24fps shouldn't be acceptable for.... anything.

You people are the reason no theaters around me were showing the Hobbit in 48fps! Embrace the future, you luddites!

I will never embrace The Hobbit.

Why not target 48fps?

60fps is king of course, but I think at 48fps they can optimize the game even better.

The hobbit looked BRILLIANT at 48fps.

I need to try some games at 48fps...
Because TVs have a refresh rate of 60hz. So you can either sync to the refresh rate of the TV, or you can double every frame to make your frame rate be half of that.

Betty

Banned
Sorry for the vulgar language, but The Hobbit at 48 fps looked like crap.

I like my games at 60fps but wouldn't mind having cutscenes in the 24-30 fps range. The best current example I thought of game that could use this was Ground Zeroes.

I was really worried when some folk said Ground Zeroes 60fps cutscenes made them look cheap or too fast, but after seeing them myself, I think they're fantastic. The detail, fidelity and smoothness on display is just magnificent.

I watched some of the cutscenes again on youtube, which compresses them to 30fps, and damn was the difference in quality noticeable. I could see stuttering, there was less clarity, and it actually made my eyes tired watching it compared to the direct 60fps in the game.

How about no?

Console games used to run at 60FPS almost all the time back in the day.

Blu-ray supports 2D 1080p/60 video so they could have converted it to 60 for the 2D version if they really wanted to.

24FPS video gets converted to 30 all the time and has been for years using what's called the "3:2 pulldown" process. The same process can be used for 48FPS video to make it 60FPS.

I don't think so, the 60fps titles I remembered were fighting games.
I had a long post earlier in the thread that explained how the 2D consoles ran games almost exclusively at 60FPS and I'm not wrong about that.

This is the part of the frame rate thread where people come in with bad information and poison the well saying that the people with the correct information are wrong usually.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I remember a time when people cared more about whether games were fun than the number of pixels and frames per second. November 15, 2013 seems to be the day when people stopped playing games and started playing tech specs.

RIP in peace fun. I'll never forget.

Ridley327

I remember a time when people cared more about whether games were fun than the number of pixels and frames per second. November 15, 2014 seems to be the day when people stopped playing games and started playing tech specs.

RIP in peace fun. I'll never forget.

60 fps does make games more fun, by virtue of making them more responsive, sooooooooooooooooooooo...

The problem with 60fps games mostly applies to those that use a photorealistic style. More frames allow our brains to perceive more effectively the fakeness of what we're seeing on the screen. One comment from one of the first viewers of the Hobbit at 48fps sums it up perfectly: "at 24fps I see a hobbit but at 48fps I see a guy dressed as a hobbit". I don't have a problem with devs targeting 60fps but it would be nice if they offered an option play the games at 30fps, at least the cutscenes since those tend to be the most jarring.

These are some examples:

In a well made film 24 frames looks perfectly lovely and I don't see why that's a problem. I'd rather watch a beautifully shot movie in 24 frames than something for the sake of 60fps. Would The Shining be better in 60fps? Would Star Wars be better in 60fps? I find higher frame rates reveal the cheapness in physical sets and I don't know if you've visited many movie sets, but they're pretty rough and cheap to look at in person, but the problems are hidden much more effectively with a lower frame rate. The Hobbit suffered from this to a degree, and I imagine it'd drive up physical production costs quite a lot.

Anything animated will shine with higher frame rates, of course, but for physical film, I just don't really care.

One problem I have with 60fps games, is that the animation needs to be damn near flawless or it looks super bizzare to me. I had a great time watching the "banana peel" death animation in that series. So out of place to me.

When it comes to movies people have to realize that a higher frame rate means its easier to spot the imperfections in special effects, thus making them look far cheesier.

For games, there's no direct reference point to live action (usually) so it's a non issue.

Then again, I suppose most people don't notice or care about these issues, just like most people don't notice or care about ghosting on modern TVs.

It's also interesting that so many people not only cannot accept that there are legitimate reasons why some prefer 30fps over 60fps but also engage in shaming us for our preferences.

Top Bottom